Project Cars vs The World (FM5, Asetto Corsa, GRID, Rfactor 2, Raceroom)

• Thread starter FoRiZon
  • 117 comments

Which game suits you best?

• PCars

• Forza Motorsport 5

• Asetto Corsa

• GRID Autosport

• RFactor 2

• Raceroom

Results are only viewable after voting.
And the ones which were laser scanned in pCars?

Of the tracks I've driven in reality and in pCars I wouldn't call them abysmal at all.
Silverstone is the track i'm most antiquated with, driven it in real life and on the laser scanned versions of it on Forza and Assetto and the PCARS variant is off putting and simply incorrect in some places, mostly the first and last corners. Zolder is another track that has wrong elevation changes, Sonoma is just wrong and Road America has incorrect elevation changes and a lack of camber. A friend of mine who has raced at Cadwell has heavily criticised the laser scanned version of it. Donington, Monza, Catalunya and Spa are well done though. Maybe not abysmal but below the expected average, track quality is a very important aspect in a sim and I feel its not consistent in this title.

Silverstone is the track i'm most antiquated with, driven it in real life and on the laser scanned versions of it on Forza and Assetto and the PCARS variant is off putting and simply incorrect in some places, mostly the first and last corners. Zolder is another track that has wrong elevation changes, Sonoma is just wrong and Road America has incorrect elevation changes and a lack of camber. A friend of mine who has raced at Cadwell has heavily criticised the laser scanned version of it. Donington, Monza, Catalunya and Spa are well done though. Maybe not abysmal but below the expected average, track quality is a very important aspect in a sim and I feel its not consistent in this title.
Abysmal is a little over the top IMO. I drove Silverstone for a quite a few laps the last couple of days and found only minor differences between it and AC and GT. A couple of corners being slightly off doesn't make anything abysmal IMO, it just makes a couple of corners slightly off.

No suprise Raceroom has such little votes, because its not very widely known and they never bothered much about marketing & advertising for the game.

I have bought it's predeccessor RACE07 and that game is really good. For €7,- you get an amazing package and there are quite a few mods available. Graphics are dated but it means it can run on a stock cheap new laptops now a days and still look lovely.

I am very new to this game but physics, racing, AI, sounds, tuning, pits, tyrewear, fuel depletion and all that stuff is in there. Even a replay and telemetry system if I saw that correct.

Haven't played pCARS so I can't compare the 2. RACE07 has not very detailed roadstructure nor does the scenery feel alive. It feels sterile but the racing is first class!

It's the poor man's pCARS :D

Took away the need for buying a PS4 atm

pCARS is more modern and it shows it's power with great physics, intense racing and current gen technology. However due to all the glitches and problems it holds of many people in buying into this game. pCARS has to mature a bit. Give it another 6 months, a lot of bugs will be sorted out and you will have an amazing package to play around with.

My choice will go with RaceRoom/Race07 then Grid Autosport because I haven't played the others.

Last edited:
PCARS as a package is hard to beat. I'm happy with the amount of cars and tracks. Extremely happy with the UI especially being able to navigate in-game menus with T500RS d-pad on the PC.

But I prefer the track quality and car handling of Assetto Corsa. (* Note: Deliberately avoided words such as "accuracy", "physics" or "force feedback" as I do not have real life race/track experience). Even prefer the handling bit more more with Raceroom.

At the end of the day, this thread is extremely subjective.

Last edited:
Well I don't have Raceroom, Forza or rFactor and I am only Downloading Assetto Corsa now (Steam sale; half price).

So I can't really vote. It would, however, be nice to be able to see the results of the poll without having to vote.
I'm an Assetto Corsa fan, you're in for a treat! Don't forget the Mods at RaceDepartment etc. Having said that, slowly getting into PCars as well. Different but both are fun.

Since you were exposed to Project CARS before Assetto Corsa, which is rare, i'm very interested to hear your thoughts after you have tried out AC.

Well, I have only had a go in the 458 Italia and the La Ferrari free lapping at Spa. I did about 4 laps in the 458 and 12 in the La Ferrari

So I haven't really given the game much attention yet, but my very, very first initial impression is...

Graphics: A mixed bag, it is generally very good, but there is something flat & sterile about the concrete textures.

Driving Feel: Without having had much time to mess about with wheel settings I would say at the moment. I prefer PCARS. The forces aren't as strong, but seem much more nuanced in PCARS. I do only have a Driving Force Pro though, but in PCARS it feels like a much more expensive wheel, in AC it simply feels like a DF Pro :/

AC feels a lot less subtle at the moment. I turned down the kerb feel and upped the slip feel, which improved it somewhat.

I also had to turn down the tyre noise a lot, that was really bugging me.

I'm sure though Assetto Corsa is going to provide me with some decent driving and the La Ferrari sounds great & is great fun to drive on factory settings.

For the moment I am immediately being drawn back to PCARS. Mainly for the subtlety of the FFB and the amazing weather & TOD effects.

It being the Monaco Grand Prix this weekend, I need to go and do 200 laps of Azure in a Formula A. :D

Been a Forza man along with GT until the demise of GT and i cant see me going back to either of them in the near future.....PCARS all the way! It's on another level!
It may be controversial but in a way pCARS has got me really excited for GT7. Even if GT7 still sticks to its sterile racing, it will be enjoyable on a totally different level from pCARS. pCARS satisfies my racing needs and GT can satisfy my love for driving a virtual driving museum effectively. I think both games can co-exist beside each other as long as GT7 makes up on the most part for GT6's short-comings.

You need to try The Natural Graphics / SweetFX mod, IMO the graphics in AC are better than PC. You really need to do some research and tweak your settings. Also look into enabling DSR, I use 2x with around 20 % smoothing. The same goes for FFB, it's a lot more refined once dialled in. Also, under Global settings, ensure you have your GFX card set to single display, performance/quality mode if your a single display user. Makes a big difference.

Last edited:
Well, Assetto Corsa is 50% today on Steam.
For those who haven't played it, now is as good as time as any.

hDzyD1v.png

Silverstone is the track i'm most antiquated with, driven it in real life and on the laser scanned versions of it on Forza and Assetto and the PCARS variant is off putting and simply incorrect in some places, mostly the first and last corners. Zolder is another track that has wrong elevation changes, Sonoma is just wrong and Road America has incorrect elevation changes and a lack of camber.
Of those I've personally driven Silverstone and have to say it doesn't strike me as that wrong at all.

A friend of mine who has raced at Cadwell has heavily criticised the laser scanned version of it.
And yet the people who own it seem to have no complaints.

Donington, Monza, Catalunya and Spa are well done though. Maybe not abysmal but below the expected average, track quality is a very important aspect in a sim and I feel its not consistent in this title.
Its rarely consistent in any title, but yours is one of the very few pieces of feedback in this regard that I've seen describe it in quite so negative terms.

Probably already been asked. however I can't be bothered to read the thread.

Is there a reason why GT isn't amongst the list?
There's already a PCars vs. GT thread so rather than duplicate that, the OP wants to compare pc racing sims to PCars.

Rfactor 2 was the biggest dissapointment. When I saw it at release it allready looked aged in terms of graphics.
Yeah I wasn't real impressed with Rfactor 2 either. It looked so so and early on I was having loads of issues getting it to work properly, turned out to be no fault of the game but rather a drivers issue, still it did not hold my interest any time at all.

I am a little surprised that GTR2 is not on that list as it is one of the better PC sims and very closely comparable to PCars in a lot of ways.

Another one that I really liked was GT Legends, I think it may have been made by the same guys that did GTR2. PCars also seems to have it roots in those games.

Yeah I wasn't real impressed with Rfactor 2 either. It looked so so and early on I was having loads of issues getting it to work properly, turned out to be no fault of the game but rather a drivers issue, still it did not hold my interest any time at all.

I am a little surprised that GTR2 is not on that list as it is one of the better PC sims and very closely comparable to PCars in a lot of ways.

Another one that I really liked was GT Legends, I think it may have been made by the same guys that did GTR2. PCars also seems to have it roots in those games.
I have GTR2 and played PCars and PCars is (IMO) a spiritual successor to GTR2, only with many more cars and tracks.

It has been a long time since I really looked at GTR2. Back when I was playing it I was trying to use a game pad and it was really difficult to keep the car on track. I did finally manage to tweak the settings to a point that I could drive with a controller but then found GT Legends and then Forza 2 so I moved away from GTR2. When I got my DFGT I loaded up GTR2 and ran a couple of laps using the wheel and I had not felt anything that good until I loaded up PCars a few days ago.

Anyway I was just looking online and I see that there are a ton of mods for GTR2 that I did not know about according to wikipedia there are 100s of add on tracks and lots of cars http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GTR_2_–_FIA_GT_Racing_Game.

At some point I think I am going to have to re install that game and have a look at some of the mods for it as I had never dived into that area of it before.

It has been a long time since I really looked at GTR2. Back when I was playing it I was trying to use a game pad and it was really difficult to keep the car on track. I did finally manage to tweak the settings to a point that I could drive with a controller but then found GT Legends and then Forza 2 so I moved away from GTR2. When I got my DFGT I loaded up GTR2 and ran a couple of laps using the wheel and I had not felt anything that good until I loaded up PCars a few days ago.

Anyway I was just looking online and I see that there are a ton of mods for GTR2 that I did not know about according to wikipedia there are 100s of add on tracks and lots of cars http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GTR_2_–_FIA_GT_Racing_Game.

At some point I think I am going to have to re install that game and have a look at some of the mods for it as I had never dived into that area of it before.
I highly recommend FIA GT 1997, Group C IMSA GTP, FIA GT 2000-2002, DTM Classics, DTM 2007. Good tracks are, Nurburgring, Road America, Riverside, and pretty much any track/car that fits your fancy.

Project cars, because it is the most complete game. It offers great sim-physics and the racing experience as well. You know a game is really good when you are satisfied and exhausted after finishing a race on 8th position and had lots of great battles with the AI on track. The feeling that you've earned this position while you gave everything possible in that race.

Great post.

That's one of the many reasons I've never truly enjoyed the career modes of Forza Motorsport or Gran Turismo past the originals because everything is built on getting 1st, 2nd or 3rd position. By doing that you get more money to buy more cars or modify your pre-setting line up to go on and win more. If you loose, you can't progress any more.

The content in Project Cars is fully unlocked so the experience and reward of the game is learning a car and track in practise then using genuine race craft to battle a full field of cars, with a AI Slider to tailor it to your needs. Combine that with brilliant AI, real time weather, real time of day effects, pitting, damage and failures, you have a real life race experience.

In Project Cars the fun gained is from racing and testing the limits of the car, the track and yourself.

Last edited:
I went with Forza because I only have an XB1, if I were to have a beefy PC then pCARS would be it. On the XB1 the frame rate can be horrible and off putting on pCARS (apparently others have not had this problem) so Forza wins due to its beautiful no eye strain steady 60 fps.

Raceroom is just a bit better in my opinion at the moment. I didnt put much time in PCars yet tho so we'll see.

I didnt had my wheel when I tried AC so it was pretty bad on pad.

Not sure why Grid is here, it's not really a sim in my eyes more like a simcade. I like it but dont feel it fights in the same category as PCars.

No Xone so yeah.

Raceroom is just a bit better in my opinion at the moment. I didnt put much time in PCars yet tho so we'll see.

I didnt had my wheel when I tried AC so it was pretty bad on pad.

Not sure why Grid is here, it's not really a sim in my eyes more like a simcade. I like it but dont feel it fights in the same category as PCars.

No Xone so yeah.
What wheel do you have? AC is awesome with a wheel, as is PCars.:cheers:

Don't have Xbox, so Forza isn't an option. I tried Assetto Corsa, but it was a bit too complex - and I didn't like the quick race features (no rolling start option, either). Haven't tried out the other three. Even with Gran Turismo an option in the poll, Project CARS is my favorite racing sim out there.

Back