Project Cars vs The World (FM5, Asetto Corsa, GRID, Rfactor 2, Raceroom)

• Thread starter FoRiZon
  • 117 comments

Which game suits you best?

• PCars

• Forza Motorsport 5

• Asetto Corsa

• GRID Autosport

• RFactor 2

• Raceroom

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just got a t300 rs, I'm very happy with it so far. Bought AC as it was on sale on steam as well. Will put some more time in Racing games on this 3 days week-end :D
Words of advice.

Clear your schedule.
Have food and water beside you when you play because you may not get up from that spot.
You may want to consider a catheter.
I draw the line at colostomy bag.
Make sure the wife/gf/other is occupied completely for the first day. Pay for it if you have to.

Enjoy.:)

For me iRacing suits me best, so I cannot vote on the poll. I always prefer online racing, and for me still nothing beats iRacing for online competition. iRacing has a the best laser scanned tracks, a good community and helpful forums, and also easy to configure graphics settings and proper triple monitor support.

Next in line for me when I do feel like offline AI racing it would have to be AC at the moment, it arguably has the best driving feel and laser scanned tracks, mods and proper triple monitor support.
I think Pcars may overtake AC for my favorite offline game once triple monitor support is added, driving feel is not too far off AC, has more official content and a better career mode. Although not having many laser scanned tracks might start to bug me a little...I guess I'll wait and see how each of them develop over time.

Rfactor2....I tried that in the early days. Driving feel was really good too, it's everything else that stopped me coming back to it, for example..updates never installed properly for me, used up all my data allowance uninstalling everything and re-downloading to get everything to work properly. It was early days I tried it, and it may well be much better and easier to use now, but with the games listed above I have enough sim racing titles to keep me busy now, so they would have to do something truely outstanding to draw my attention away from the others.

I have tried FM5, Grid and RaceRoom, and sorry to those that do love these titles, but for me they are not competition to the 4 games/sims listed above.

This is an easy one for me. I've played pretty much everything but not FM5. I'm not going to list every sim in existance, just the ones relevant to me in the near past, present and future.

Physics : Assetto Corsa / RFactor 2 > iRacing > Project Cars > RaceRoom >>>>> GT6
Sounds : All of them >>>>>>>>>> GT6 : I could only do it if I ranked per individual car, all are inconsistent.
Tracks : Assetto Corsa / iRacing / GT6 > Project Cars / RaceRoom >>>>>>>> RFactor 2
Visuals : Project Cars > Assetto Corsa > GT6 => iRacing/RaceRoom > Rfactor 2
Career : iRacing > Project Cars > GT6 > AC (because in iRacing your career is against real people!)
Online : iRacing > the rest

I'l comment on the tracks, really speaking the quality of the real world tracks in GT6 is incredible and I think it stands up there with the best of them, Assetto Corsa and iRacing obviously do an amazing job because of both the laser scanning and the care and artistic attention to detail put into them. Project Cars has some beautifully made tracks but after spending time on laser scanned versions you really do notice the differences and for me it makes a difference, even so they are great. Rfactor 2 have some of the most bland and lazy made tracks in modern gaming, they feel like they have been ripped out of a game from 10 years ago in terms of accuracy and attention to detail.

Take with a pinch of salt my ranking of RaceRoom as I haven't played it much since the beta and my memory is not the best with it. Even so I recall feeling the physics and force feedback were not up to scratch and though it was fun to play I found an excess of grip and strange vehicle behavior. I also didn't like the sounds as much as others, they greatly lacked dynamics in the tone, it was like hearing one awesome constant sound... It grates after a while and you only notice it more with quality speakers/headphones, of which I have both.

Visually GT6 suffers from simply being on the PS3 with those low res textures and the low screen resolution, iRacing may look dated but it has a crisp and accurate detail about it.

Words of advice.

Clear your schedule.
Have food and water beside you when you play because you may not get up from that spot.
You may want to consider a catheter.
I draw the line at colostomy bag.
Make sure the wife/gf/other is occupied completely for the first day. Pay for it if you have to.

Enjoy.:)

I've been playing Pcars all week-end and it's awesome really. Some cars are more enjoyable than others (so far the BMW 1 series M is my favorite by miles). Currently driving the new AMG coupé and it's a beast to master. I discovered I didnt like Brands Hatch full that much. So many camber curves. Make it really hard to tame the beast. It's fun tho.

Didnt play AC that much because of the lack of track. The tracks are really nicely done but there's too few of them.

Project cars is awsome but I still prefer Nascar Heat...G3 platinum mods are excellent...Sure the graphics are dated but I'll take gameplay and custom field options anyday over racing random ai names and no editing options... So close but we just can't seem to get the total package (on console anyway)... The freedom of modders who respect the game makes the difference and nobody does it better than The Mod Squad...

GT suits me best. It has got the variety I look in a racing game with cars, tracks along with great gameplay, looks.

As far as best sim goes. I think rfactor2, rfactor is quite way ahead of the rest. But cars, gfx, etc is not upto the mark :rolleyes:

I would question "great gameplay" in GT unless you're not counting GT6 because that game has never been anything other that a time attack game to me - and on that particular count Project Cars bats it out of the park. Your milage my differ of course.

As for rfactor 2 being the best sim, have you tried Assetto Corsa?

Words of advice.

Tip of the day! Keep putting that extra beer you want in the freezer. That way you always have to walk to the kitchen 30 minutes later and your blood keeps circulating.

And on another note, gentlemen; i am proud to present my following creation. Whenever there is a thread were (men) can't agree on who has the best experience and resort to insulting each other as they think their piece of software is infinitely better than their counterparts, you can now post this to make a mockery of the situation:

1ovq0o.jpg

I would question "great gameplay" in GT unless you're not counting GT6 because that game has never been anything other that a time attack game to me - and on that particular count Project Cars bats it out of the park. Your milage my differ of course.

As for rfactor 2 being the best sim, have you tried Assetto Corsa?

By great gameplay I mean, it is not rfactor neither like grid or some other bad sim. The cars are fun to drive and there so many of them. I like using sports and also racing hard tires but not the racing brakes. If I want the best sim then definitely rfactor is the way to go. But I like to drive different cars with a controller with and GT6 checks that box for me.

Never tried AC. I do not have PC for some years now. I too have heard good things about it. It definitely got awesome car models, sounds are probably the best and accurate tracks. So looking forward to it in 2016 :cool:

This is an easy one for me. I've played pretty much everything but not FM5. I'm not going to list every sim in existance, just the ones relevant to me in the near past, present and future.

Physics : Assetto Corsa / RFactor 2 > iRacing > Project Cars > RaceRoom >>>>> GT6
Sounds : All of them >>>>>>>>>> GT6 : I could only do it if I ranked per individual car, all are inconsistent.
Tracks : Assetto Corsa / iRacing / GT6 > Project Cars / RaceRoom >>>>>>>> RFactor 2
Visuals : Project Cars > Assetto Corsa > GT6 => iRacing/RaceRoom > Rfactor 2
Career : iRacing > Project Cars > GT6 > AC (because in iRacing your career is against real people!)
Online : iRacing > the rest

Online: Depending on the community you're in. I had fantastic Endurance races in rF2. The only games that supports driver changes (except LFS) are rF2 and iRacing. rF2 is still in "Beta"
In shorter races without driver changes? rF2, AC and pCars and not in iRacing. But that's only my experience and preference.

Career: Don't really care about it. And that's why iRacing isn't my cup of tea. Don't have time to grind. The physics is not nearly as good as AC, rF2 or even pCars. Most racecars are easy to drive in real life, especially GT3, GT4, up to a certain level. It's when you are on the edge and trying to get the maximum out of your car it get hairy, that last 1-5% is really hard. AC and pCars best simulate that aspect. But then I always run with the same ABS or TC as the cars use in real life.

Final thoughts:
The poll should be a multi choice. :)
I can pick a car in AC and just drive around Nords for relaxation. pCars makes me want to go to LeMans and revel in the atmosphere and the visuals with 39 other cars. Thing is, that no sim so far has it all... at least for my favorite type of racing, endurance.

I want pCars visuals, AC FFB (I know that it has some canned effect but it also talks the best to me),
rF2/iracing driver changes, Nascar2003 recovery vehicle, GT6/AC tracks and pCars for cars (LMP1,LMP2,GT3 and GT4).
All that combined with a engineering/team boss module for managing the team/race/pistops.

Why is the vote secret ?

I cant give and honest opinion about most of the games since i only have Pcars and Forza5.

For those two there are no comparison Forza 5 is way behind Pcars.

I kinda dont want to vote and spoil the votes when I cant give and honest opinion about most of the games.

But I would like to see the results from the vote's just to see what are people's opinions and maybe get inspiration to buy those other games.

Online: Depending on the community you're in. I had fantastic Endurance races in rF2. The only games that supports driver changes (except LFS) are rF2 and iRacing. rF2 is still in "Beta"
In shorter races without driver changes? rF2, AC and pCars and not in iRacing. But that's only my experience and preference.

Career: Don't really care about it. And that's why iRacing isn't my cup of tea. Don't have time to grind. The physics is not nearly as good as AC, rF2 or even pCars. Most racecars are easy to drive in real life, especially GT3, GT4, up to a certain level. It's when you are on the edge and trying to get the maximum out of your car it get hairy, that last 1-5% is really hard. AC and pCars best simulate that aspect. But then I always run with the same ABS or TC as the cars use in real life.

Final thoughts:
The poll should be a multi choice. :)
I can pick a car in AC and just drive around Nords for relaxation. pCars makes me want to go to LeMans and revel in the atmosphere and the visuals with 39 other cars. Thing is, that no sim so far has it all... at least for my favorite type of racing, endurance.

I want pCars visuals, AC FFB (I know that it has some canned effect but it also talks the best to me),
rF2/iracing driver changes, Nascar2003 recovery vehicle, GT6/AC tracks and pCars for cars (LMP1,LMP2,GT3 and GT4).
All that combined with a engineering/team boss module for managing the team/race/pistops.

I just checked my emails and I bought Rfactor 2 on 11th January 2012. It's now June 2015 and given that Rfactor 2 went into official release in 2013 I don't think you can pull the "beta" card. Even so, my opinion about online is not going to change, I'm not the biggest iRacing fan as I don't really feel the physics are up to standard and the driving model just doesn't feel as good for me..

But when it comes to online iRacing have created an efficient and well oiled machine that no other title even comes close to.. The main part about that is that they provide racing, they provide a community revolving around online racing and they provide the tools to make it easy for you.. They also provide a system to filter out crashers and trolls, and also to match drivers of similar skill levels... In iRacing you can race against real professional racing drivers, you can race to win in a series that is all laid out for you.. It's the complete experience and it's all done for you.. So in terms of Online I don't see anyone else providing complete experience.

But with that said, I stopped my iRacing subscription because to be honest it's not for me.. I find it overly stressful and put too much pressure on myself to win and it played hell with my nerves. I ended up dropping it for a more casual approach with SimRaceway, which I was really into for a while until Assetto Corsa.

But with that said, I stopped my iRacing subscription because to be honest it's not for me. I find it overly stressful and put too much pressure on myself to win and it played hell with my nerves. I ended up dropping it for a more casual approach with SimRaceway, which I was really into for a while until Assetto Corsa
Good move Bazz. The last thing gaming/simming should be is stressful. We have reality for that :D

I just checked my emails and I bought Rfactor 2 on 11th January 2012. It's now June 2015 and given that Rfactor 2 went into official release in 2013 I don't think you can pull the "beta" card. Even so, my opinion about online is not going to change, I'm not the biggest iRacing fan as I don't really feel the physics are up to standard and the driving model just doesn't feel as good for me..
Given the slow development rate and the showstopping bugs we had (SimHQMotorsports) during the testing and racing I still rate rF2 as less refined in many aspects than any of the newcomers like AC and pCars. But it rules in physics.

But we all have different opinions about our passion :)

Given the slow development rate and the showstopping bugs we had (SimHQMotorsports) during the testing and racing I still rate rF2 as less refined in many aspects than any of the newcomers like AC and pCars. But it rules in physics.

But we all have different opinions about our passion :)

Well if you read my opinion above I don't think we really differ so much, I rated both Assetto Corsa and Rfactor 2 as equally the best for physics, they both do an amazing job ^^. I find the tracks are poor quality with Rfactor 2 though, and it can be quite buggy enough that it gets tiresome.

AC is more of a polished package, and the track quality is in a different league.

If you dont have a PC, how do you know that rFactor is the best sim? :odd:

I started with F1 challenge 99-02 on PC some 10yrs back my first sim when I became addicted to F1 and Kimi Raikkonen. There was awesome mods for it called RH and CTDP. Only then I am came to know this is a moddable games and devs who made it. Eariler I thought EA made this game :lol:. Then I played rfactor which comes with nothing and can donwload stuff. The great CTDP F1 mods :bowdown: and other games which is made using their engine. GTL, GTR2, GTR evo. I guess all simbin games use their engine. It is just a shame rfactor2 will never be complete. It is not even a game. Just a open source for people or devs. It would be great if the make a actual game rather than just making a great engine. I have not tried and probably will not try rfactor2 but rfactor was already so amazing. I am sure my old PC could handle rfactor2 the way it looks :yuck:

Last edited:
Forza 5 for me, but I'm into photomode and the handling feels most intuitive to me out of that game, PCars, RacePro, Race07 and GT. That it has the most diverse field of up to date cars and classic models from all eras seals it for me. Plus, its Ring is a massive improvement over the first four games.

But when it comes to online iRacing have created an efficient and well oiled machine that no other title even comes close to.. The main part about that is that they provide racing, they provide a community revolving around online racing and they provide the tools to make it easy for you.. They also provide a system to filter out crashers and trolls, and also to match drivers of similar skill levels... In iRacing you can race against real professional racing drivers, you can race to win in a series that is all laid out for you.. It's the complete experience and it's all done for you.. So in terms of Online I don't see anyone else providing complete experience.

But with that said, I stopped my iRacing subscription because to be honest it's not for me.. I find it overly stressful and put too much pressure on myself to win and it played hell with my nerves. I ended up dropping it for a more casual approach with SimRaceway, which I was really into for a while until Assetto Corsa.

This is almost word for word the same experience that I had. iRacing has provided, beyond any shadow of a doubt, the greatest racing experience I have ever sample in a video game, time and time again. However, as you said, it can be very demanding and unforgiving, meaning that it really doesn't work as a "pick up and play" title.

After iRacing, I didn't move on to other modern titles, but instead went back to NR2003, a game that I believe is still capable of providing one of the best single player championship experience on the market. I don't expect that the individual race experience of iRacing will be topped, but my ideal is Project Cars with the championship experience / AI of NR2003.

Can I wait until a patch or two has been released for this first? I'd rather judge based on a game that's been finished rather than one that has quite a bit of developing to go.

Can I wait until a patch or two has been released for this first? I'd rather judge based on a game that's been finished rather than one that has quite a bit of developing to go.
Depends on platform, but I'll assume PS4. If you're still doubting because of the issues with some steering wheels, then wait until 1.4 patch is out, wait a bit for the feedback, then make a move. 👍 There is no rush. :)

I would have chosem pcars, but I'm not sold on the physics. If forced to choose, right now, I would choose both the FFB and the physics of AC over pcars in a heartbeat. Pcars is no doubt very good in this regard, but AC is downright amazing. If you combined them into a single product with the completing and fun of pcars, plus the physics and ffb of AC. Now THAT would be a heck of a product (although, even combined, it would need a lot more cars to round it out).

VXR
Forza 5 for me, but I'm into photomode and the handling feels most intuitive to me out of that game, PCars, RacePro, Race07 and GT. That it has the most diverse field of up to date cars and classic models from all eras seals it for me. Plus, its Ring is a massive improvement over the first four games.

Pcars phot mode is average. DC and GT6 are best in that regard. Forza also lacks in tracks and variable condition to race. n4g.com I read Forza6 will have those features. Forza5 is just a prologue and most overrated game out of all by far.

Also race pro on 360 is no where near Race 07 in the PC. It was a horrible port and not comparable at all.

I just posted this in the AC forum, thought it's quite relevant:

It irks me how there's no one sim that's perfect in everything.

Imagine a game with:
AC physics & FFB
PCARS career
GT car/track count
Forza customization
Driveclub graphics & weather
The Crew open world
iRacing online structure
RRRE sound
rFactor 2 live track
rFactor 1 moddability
BeamNG damage
GSCE price

:drool:

Yeah, one can dream :P

To be honest the discussion is kinda moot. If you're a big car/racing/driving fan you're gonna get all of them because each have something that others don't. None of them are perfect. If you are a casual racer, you would probably get NFS anyways :P

I just posted this in the AC forum, thought it's quite relevant:

To be honest the discussion is kinda moot. If you're a big car/racing/driving fan you're gonna get all of them because each have something that others don't. None of them are perfect. If you are a casual racer, you would probably get NFS anyways :P
It's almost like a conspiracy, like all the devs get together and everyone picks some feature and off they go.

"Ok Kaz you get car count, Dan you get the best looking game on console, Stefano you get physics and road feel, Andy you get the prettiest game, iRacing you get the online racing":sly:...etc.

It's almost like a conspiracy, like all the devs get together and everyone picks some feature and off they go.

"Ok Kaz you get car count, Dan you get the best looking game on console, Stefano you get physics and road feel, Andy you get the prettiest game, iRacing you get the online racing":sly:...etc.
We are being had! Time to start boycotting racing games!

Can Kunos turn AC around to be an amazing game as well as having the best physics & FFB before the release on consoles?

Back