[PROJECT LOG] My DIY SimVibe racing rig

• Thread starter miahallen
  • 71 comments
Yeah, I did last time...I forgot to tonight. He's still learning, he was cruising around Spa in the Star Mazda. He's still trying to get the hang of shifting and steering :P

Thanks man, I'm a big fan of your 8020 rig as well :)
If I could get that stuff here, that's what I would have used ;)

Huge fan of all the tactile stuff you have done.
Unfortunately can't go there at present if I plan on keeping peace with the folks below me.
But when that changes, your posts will be great reference!
(Or 参考 as they where you are now).

In case you have an APO/FPO address in Japan you can.
80/20 inc. has an official online store though eBay.
Local distributor here in AZ has very limited stock.
So I ended up getting most of the stuff for my rig from them that way.

If you have any questions about going down that route feel free to PM me.
(Not affiliated with them in anyway), having been down the road, I learned some ins and outs which = spending less money.

Last edited:
Really? I thought I asked about my APO address a year ago, and they said they wouldn't ship to me (the ebay store) :confused:

80/20 Inc's online ebay store is their surplus division. Their extension at 80/20 is 877-248-8020 X 3488.
I spoke to Darcy this morning who I had contact with during the course of building my rig.

She confirmed that they do ship to APO/FPO but there is size limit of 40". It may be that their policies changed since you inquired about that. They seem to have become much more pro-active with the eBay store in the last few months.

The actual shipping limit size is 46" but they use the 6" difference for internal protective packaging.
They can cut stuff to size upon request when you order too. I did that for my rig.

Also there are some tricks when ordering stuff to get an accurate shipping estimate because their built-in calculator can be way off mark.

They can also sell stuff across the ebay store not listed online that is in their catalog upon request.
I also did that for my rig. PM me for those details so I don't hijack your thread.

Last edited:
Oh, I see....I was looking at pieces up to 72" long. No, don't worry about it. I might rebuild in the future, but for now I'm pretty happy with my rig as-is. I'll probably stick with it for a few years.

Well, I've gotten all three of my new monitors, and while I can still see a little cross-talk...I've been able to dial out enough that I think I'll be OK with their 3D performance. I still have not received my triple monitor mount. I went for the January promo at fasttracksims.com for $269.99...It seems like a great mount, and I'm looking forward to getting it setup. I also ordered one of their keyboard mounts. However, they've been a little behind production, so I'm still waiting.

In the mean time, I cut a couple wood "wings" to put the monitors on. They seem to be working fairly well for now.

triples3.jpg

triples1.jpg

triples2.jpg

I also got two 3GB MSI Lightning 580 GTX Extreme Edition cards to replace two of my reference 580s. They'll run the triples, and the leftover 580 will run my projector and desktop monitor. I got them plumbed into my water cooling loop, and they're running nice and cool :)

new_580s3.jpg

new_580s2.jpg

new_580s1.jpg

Hi miahallen,
what is your opinion about these amps (TK2050 Class-T)?
Is it possible to regulate the volume on one single channel?
I need a good amp for my 4 Aura
Thanks

Hi miahallen,
what is your opinion about these amps (TK2050 Class-T)?
Is it possible to regulate the volume on one single channel?
I need a good amp for my 4 Aura
Thanks
There is no volume control on the amp...you have to use software. I control the amp "gain" with the windows playback device volume....and I control individual channels via the various SimVibe effects. If you are setting up 4-channels for chassis mode, then you'll be able to control volume to the front and rear independently, but I don't think there will be much control left to right.

Nice cockpit! How does triple 3Ds work for you? Is it a big difference against triple non-3Ds?
It depends on the game. I'm a believer in 3D gor racing, and for iRacing I find it amazing, it make it easier to gauge braking distances without having to rely so heavily on physical markers, I feel like I can just feel the correct spot much more accurately. If I play for a couple hours in 3D, then try turning it off....it totally screws up my line.

However, for other games, especially first person shooters....I don't like 3D so much. It makes it more difficult to aim, because you'll usually see two cross-hairs. The fixes are available, for instance you can turn off the games cross-hair, and turn one on in the driver instead....but I've never been fully satisfied with the solutions. 3rd person games, the Batman series comes to mind, are usually amazing in 3D. But a lot of times it really depends on how much time the developer put into making the game look good in 3D.

Thanks miahallen, in your opinion is a good solution to use these amps?
I wanted to buy the Behringer 304 but i read the problem of cut-off when the volume are too high... :-(

Well...I'm not 100% convinced of these amps....I bought two, and I'm sending one back for RMA as it has two dead channels. The other one I am 100% satisfied with, it rocks! :)

Well...I'm not 100% convinced of these amps....I bought two, and I'm sending one back for RMA as it has two dead channels. The other one I am 100% satisfied with, it rocks! :)
Is this amp has a vol adjust?if no,how do you control the power output

Thanks for the assist venom666 :)

Minor update today. I was noticing there was a lack of support for my upper legs, and my heels were getting tired supporting the weight of my legs and falling asleep. I first pushed the pedals out another inch or two, but it wasn't enough. So I wanted to solve the problem thinking about it from another angle...specifically the angle of my seat. I came up with a pretty simple solution that has transformed my seating comfort. I cut two blocks of wood, wrapped them in carpet, and drilled a hole through the center. I already had longer M8 bolts, so I didn't even need any extra parts :)

seatspacers.jpg

Next, I needed to get my sequential shifter mounted. I don't drive a ton of cars which need it, but for those few that do, its quite nice to have....but I don't think I can justify the $$$ of a nicer one, so the Fanatec kit has to suffice.

triples4.jpg

triples5.jpg

I'm really looking forward to getting a proper monitor mount....but so far, this rig is really making me happy :)

I've got two updates, first the good news. My bad amp was replaced by Parts-Express. So I've finally gotten to experience the full 7 channels of my SimVibe setup. I have to say , SimVibe ROCKS!!! The full SimVibe experience turns my racing simulator rig into a living thing, rumble strips are exciting...driving off the track is a visceral experience...and crashes literally make me flinch. It's truly taken the rig to the next dimension and I highly recommend it! Now I've had a long time to test with just four channels, and I have to say, going to the full 7 channel experience hasn't changed it much, with one exception....the shakers mounted on the back of my seat. When they were mounted to the bottom....all the shakers were generating vertical motion. But after mounting them to the back of the seat, the combination of the four on the bottom generating vertical vibes and the two on the seat generating horizontal vibes really adds a lot. The downside of this configuration is that the shakers mounted on the back of the seat seem a bit noisier. I don't think these Aura shakers are made to be used horizontally....I'll probably try to swap them for some Clark Synth models in the future.

Here are some new shots of the bottom of the rig:

amps4.jpg

amps5.jpg

Next...my Fast Track Sims (FTS) quad monitor mount and keyboard mount have arrived :D They are all beautifully made, I was a bit concerned because the monitor stand was almost $400 and the keyboard stand almost $100. But I'm pleasantly surprised, the quality is excellent! The phrase "you get what you pay for" applies perfectly here. But, the news is not all positive. The uprights are only 11 3/4" tall....when the quad monitor add-on is used, this doesn't leave much vertical adjustment for the 27" monitors I'm using. I needed to push the monitors up about 5 inches off the mounting surface to clear the Fanatec Clubsport Wheel base. But I could only get the bottom of the monitor up a little more than an inch off the mounting surface. In addition, the base is slightly wider than requested.

I was able to overcome the sizing problems with a temporary wooden structure. But I would not be happy with this as a permanent solution. The good news is "Mark", the owner of FTS is awesome and has already agreed to build me a new base and get it out to me ASAP. So, there will be more updates soon. But I'll leave you with a few more pictures showing the current state of things.

FTSmount2.jpg

FTSmount3.jpg

FTSmount4.jpg

FTSmount5.jpg

FTSmount6.jpg

FTSmount7.jpg

FTSmount8.jpg

FTSmount9.jpg

FTSmount10.jpg

The keyboard tray is very sturdy, I'm very impressed!

FTSmount1.jpg

Been keeping an eye on your progress...
Nice upgrades you have added to the system, screens and general build of the rig.
Has come on really well.

You should be proud man.

Would love to read more details of your 3D experiences and just how you would rate the wow factor. Particularly going from a 1-3 screen 3D experience. Have to agree it is really annoying that current projectors are limited to 1080/24 or 720p 3D. Big 1080p 3D 60Hz in games would be great.

Wondering if you can give your opinion...
Just got my Titan delivered with some other PC bits this week, so moving on from my XFX7970. Quite tempted to get one of those monitors you have but I am easily annoyed with 3D crosstalk. How would you rate this model regards this issue and the performance of the screens in general? Err and have you tried any games at 144Hz 2D?

If you can,one last thing, would be great to understand how you have set your Simvibe, well telling us what effects you prefer and have set to which channels? Your own comments on how it is performing are very encouraging.

Once again thanks for the updates and a great thread, sorry so many questions...

Last edited:
Wow, very nice with the triples the way you did that!
I am sure with your attention to detail, whatever you have FTS cook up for the triples, it will be a slam dunk!
Its been great watching you build this rig.👍 👍

Thanks for all the compliments guys :)

Would love to read more details of your 3D experiences and just how you would rate the wow factor. Particularly going from a 1-3 screen 3D experience. Have to agree it is really annoying that current projectors are limited to 1080/24 or 720p 3D. Big 1080p 3D 60Hz in games would be great.

Wondering if you can give your opinion...
Just got my Titan delivered with some other PC bits this week, so moving on from my XFX7970. Quite tempted to get one of those monitors you have but I am easily annoyed with 3D crosstalk. How would you rate this model regards this issue and the performance of the screens in general? Err and have you tried any games at 144Hz 2D?

If you can,one last thing, would be great to understand how you have set your Simvibe, well telling us what effects you prefer and have set to which channels? Your own comments on how it is performing are very encouraging.

Once again thanks for the updates and a great thread, sorry so many questions...

3D experience & WOW factor...
I have to say the 3D pop and WOW on my 100" screen, I would rate at 9/10, it could have had a little more pop....but it'd be really hard to fault it's 3D performance. I love the Acer PJ and the zero-crosstalk DLP tech.

Titan & cross-talk...
Congrats on the Titan, I think I'll probably upgrade when they release the non-castrated version. Going to the 27" triples has overall been pretty underwhelming. I've done all I can, and all that's been suggested by others (like reducing contrast and Lightboost settings), but in my opinion crosstalk is still pretty bad. I definitely only see my current setup as a temporary solution. :indiff: I have raced quite a bit in 2D and 3D, and I do still prefer the 3D....but I have to really focus on ignoring the crosstalk. Once a better solution comes along, I'll leave this one in the dust.

Speaking of which....my Rift dev kit was shipped out today :D

SimVibe settings...
LOL, funny you should ask. I think I've made major changes to settings just about every week I've had it. All the setting feel awesome for their individual reasons....even white noise feels pretty cool and really adds to the sensation of speed. But so far I'd say my favorites are gear change, engine speed, F/R suspension bumps, and vertical surges.

Check the images below for my current settings :)

Chassis.png

Seat.png

Shifter.png

pedals.png

Thanks for the detailed response, appreciated.
Good to hear you are enjoying Simvibe though and nice to get an idea of what settings you like. Agree with your points on DLP the 3D is good, shame these monitors have lag. Oh, that hole you have below your seat, you ever consider adding in a cheap sub perhaps? It will help boost the sensation of your tactile bass.

The Titan was not so much a needed purchase but well I think Nvidia 3D is the direction I will want to venture eventually. I want to keep my PC tech good but simple so not that interested in SLI and this is quite a quiet card too. I am focusing still more on the audio/tactile but would love to learn more on the GS4 seat as think If I was to add motion now with so much happening with my tactile it may be ideal.

Have you considered motion for your own rig in the future and which games are you enjoying most with your rig?

Here is some inspiration and what happens when you tinker with tactile for over 3 years!!!

Admittedly I might have a compulsion/problem:

w2przFi.jpg

Last edited:
THX Mr Latte...I'm quite curious about the springs in your picture, can you give me a link to the thread with details on it? Thanks. I've got bass covered, my rig sits right next to my home built 18" sub ;)
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417975/dayton-18-dcs450-in-a-14ft3-slot-port

Concerning motion, I have thought a lot about it, I'd love to get a GS4 and full motion someday. But I don't like the idea of a half ass "full motion rig"....if I'm going to do it, I want to do it right and get one with some REAL G-force....so I'm really hoping something like this will be available to consumers down the road:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02JPYsR2SQc

They are professional isolators commonly used on factory machinery.
Manufactured by Mason.

http://www.mason-industries.com/masonind/
Not cheap though, $90 each.

Liked your sub build but meh 300 watts, joking :sly:

Motion, well not sure neither. Comfort/annoyance are my concerns with the GS4. Have yet to come across a detailed thread on them or review, 6DOF though is interesting. I quite like my Sebring Pro seat as well so it is something I would only add after the tactile and triple projection.

Talking of bass and Simvibe...
Here's how to blow the money I had for a simxperience 3dof on tactile/amplification instead:
Got most of this purchased now...

Simvibe Chassis
4x Buttkicker LFE 1500 watts each / dual inuke DSP 6000
4x Clark 429 Prosound 150 watts each / dual inuke DSP 1000
4x 12" subwoofers 350 watts each dual / inuke DSP 3000
Unique self designed installation and professional isolation.

Using 3 not 1 units per corner for individually optimised:
A) Ultra low tactile frequencies (What the LFE does best)
B) Detailed low frequencies (What the 429 does best)
C) Audible bass extension / increased localisation and added realism.

Problem is you do not go out and buy a rig that can accommodate such or make it all work as intended without experimentation. Although like your own build, their is I'm sure a lot of satisfaction from a d.i.y project when it is completed.

Last edited:
Concerning motion, I have thought a lot about it, I'd love to get a GS4 and full motion someday. But I don't like the idea of a half ass "full motion rig"....if I'm going to do it, I want to do it right and get one with some REAL G-force....so I'm really hoping something like this will be available to consumers down the road:

If you talk to guys that take their racing seriously and have gone with motion they don't run it like in the video you linked. The motion is set up to mimic a real race car and not a bucking bronc at the Calgary Stampede. These types of videos are made by people that crank the motion up as high as it goes, is this really what you want?

@ Mr Latte....300W is plenty for an efficient woofer in a huge ported box. It hits about 110db at 25Hz in my room :D

If you talk to guys that take their racing seriously and have gone with motion they don't run it like in the video you linked. The motion is set up to mimic a real race car and not a bucking bronc at the Calgary Stampede. These types of videos are made by people that crank the motion up as high as it goes, is this really what you want?

Most guys with motion don't have rigs capable of this kind of motion. The point is to trick your brain with G-Forces realistic to the real thing. Do you really think tipping a rig by 5 degrees or so mimics accurately the G-Forces in a real race car? Obviously not, can the brain be decieved and make small G-Forces feel bigger than they are, sure....but more real G-Force would decieve the brain even more accurately. Forget how it looks, and think about how the brain percieves the motion. ;)

Back