Project Scorpio Forza 6 Tech Demo Runs at 4K/60FPS With Power To Spare

72 FPS? That's quite specific :lol: Well, we'll see how it goes. I'll be building a new computer in early 2018 anyway, so if FM7 is gonna run my current rig into the ground, I'll be sure to come back with a vengeance đź‘Ť

Well, I imagine they will use the same fps limits from FH3 in FM7. Not sure why they are like this, but you get 48, 72 and 90, I believe. Along with Unlimited.

Well, I imagine they will use the same fps limits from FH3 in FM7. Not sure why they are like this, but you get 48, 72 and 90, I believe. Along with Unlimited.
I might have to check again, but with V-Sync, it FH3 ought to be locked at 60 FPS - or so I believe.

I just started playing Forza 6: Apex on the PC and it has no trouble maintaining 60+ Framerates with all of the graphics settings maxed out and 4K resolution. It looks incredible to me, the amount of detail and the smoothness is way beyond what I'm used to with GT6 on a PS3 and definitely beats PCars on the PS4 by a large margin.

Hardware Setup:

Dell T3600 E5-1620 Xeon@3.6GHz, 16GB RAM, 635W PS, 1TB Samsung EVO SSD, Win10 Professional, GTX-1080Ti
LG OLED55B6 4K TV
Thrustmaster T500RS

Unless Scorpio is relatively cheap I'm not sure where it's niche is. A PC running Win10 has a lot more flexibility and at current spec is a lot more powerful than what I've seen of the 'available sometime in the future' Scorpio specs. I was able to keep the system cost to around $1400 by starting with an off-lease T3600 from ebay ($360) and then adding SSD ($300) and 1080Ti ($699).

I just started playing Forza 6: Apex on the PC and it has no trouble maintaining 60+ Framerates with all of the graphics settings maxed out and 4K resolution. It looks incredible to me, the amount of detail and the smoothness is way beyond what I'm used to with GT6 on a PS3 and definitely beats PCars on the PS4 by a large margin.

Hardware Setup:

Dell T3600 E5-1620 Xeon@3.6GHz, 16GB RAM, 635W PS, 1TB Samsung EVO SSD, Win10 Professional, GTX-1080Ti
LG OLED55B6 4K TV
Thrustmaster T500RS

Unless Scorpio is relatively cheap I'm not sure where it's niche is. A PC running Win10 has a lot more flexibility and at current spec is a lot more powerful than what I've seen of the 'available sometime in the future' Scorpio specs. I was able to keep the system cost to around $1400 by starting with an off-lease T3600 from ebay ($360) and then adding SSD ($300) and 1080Ti ($699).
Even if Scorpio is ******** early PS3 expensive ($700) it would be half as expensive as your setup. Pretty sure that's their intended niche.

"Want 4k/60fps gaming and don't want to spend over $1000? Get a Scorpio"

Even if Scorpio is ******** early PS3 expensive ($700) it would be half as expensive as your setup. Pretty sure that's their intended niche.

"Want 4k/60fps gaming and don't want to spend over $1000? Get a Scorpio"

If they can do it for $700 I think they have a winner. I'm expecting it to be over $1K. The advantage of having a PC is that you can spec it any way you want. If I was going to try and match Scorpio I could probably get by with a GTX-1080 rather than the Ti ($400) and ditch the SSD since it won't have one ($300) so my system cost is now around $800.

No wonder it still has that weak AMD Jaguar CPU. Maybe if they had the people who made Horizon 3 (a 30 fps game) help design the hardware, it would've been capable of 60 fps in more than just racing games and side scrollers.

No wonder it still has that weak AMD Jaguar CPU. Maybe if they had the people who made Horizon 3 (a 30 fps game) help design the hardware, it would've been capable of 60 fps in more than just racing games and side scrollers.
That doesn't make much sense to me.

So what you want is developers to not develop games on this architecture with assistance from development kits to achieve 60fps gaming thanks to Turn 10 as well as other developer studios but to have Playground Games, who help develop Forza games alongside Turn 10, who worked directly with the Xbox Hardware team, as i'm sure many other, if not all, first party developers did too to tell them what hardware they should have?

Last edited:
If they can do it for $700 I think they have a winner. I'm expecting it to be over $1K. The advantage of having a PC is that you can spec it any way you want. If I was going to try and match Scorpio I could probably get by with a GTX-1080 rather than the Ti ($400) and ditch the SSD since it won't have one ($300) so my system cost is now around $800.
There ain't no way in hell theyre gonna sell it for a $1,000. That's console suicide; you can't develop the next gen without pissing off the people who just dropped that kind of cash; if it's more powerful & cheaper, Scorpio buyers will really be upset.

You develop it to be more poweful and still $1,000, you're gonna make the people who don't wanna shell out that kind of cash be really out of luck.

Well unfortunately it does happen. Look at the $1200 Titan X which the $699 1080Ti relegated to second place in the performance standings. It is going to be a very interesting year, and Scorpio does have to position itself between gaming PCs and lower end consoles like the XBox and the PS4. If Microsoft start releasing their games simultaneously on XBox and Windows 10 (very likely) it will just come down to how much power you want and how much you're prepared to pay for it.

I'm kind of annoyed that as much as I love GT it always seems to be a generation behind on the hardware. Now that all of the consoles are basically turnkey downsized PCs that should end with the current generation as all future upgrades will be faster versions of the current architecture, not new architectures that require four years of effort to port to. This in turn will encourage shorter release cycles for consoles, as each generation will not require investing in a whole new software base.

Sony should be more than a little concerned about Scorpio and particularly Windows 10, Microsoft after reaching rock bottom with Windows 8 have built a really nice gaming ecosystem in Windows 10 with minimal porting effort between the XBox and Scorpio. The PS4 Pro was a good start but it didn't go far enough and they really need to improve their ecosystem (networking, file system, record/playback etc, peripheral support) a lot or Microsoft is going to leave them behind.

In the latest videos of GT Sport Beta the cars in the online races still twitch around like they have no mass, and that alone completely ruins the whole illusion for me that I'm watching real cars in a race. I'm assuming that's due to network latency but even in off-line replays in follow-mode the cars look like they've been hung from a string through the center of the roof and seem to just gyrate around randomly in no relation to the direction of travel or the accepted laws of physics.

In the latest videos of GT Sport Beta the cars in the online races still twitch around like they have no mass, and that alone completely ruins the whole illusion for me that I'm watching real cars in a race. I'm assuming that's due to network latency but even in off-line replays in follow-mode the cars look like they've been hung from a string through the center of the roof and seem to just gyrate around randomly in no relation to the direction of travel or the accepted laws of physics.
Forza has a very similar issue, and I'm wondering if its because the replays are dropped to 30fps, essentially losing some of the data in the process. Now, I know Pro is supposed to support 60fps replays, but is that happening yet?

In some of the WRS races when drivers have higher latency networking the cars not only leap all over the road but they skid and leave clouds of smoke from the tires. It's the funniest thing to watch and there are times I've crashed because I was laughing so hard at the chaos going on in front of me. They just need more horsepower to do corrective analysis and gradually move the car back to the correct line rather than be dumb and just immediately teleport it to the latest received coordinates. You could argue that not moving the car immediately means that drivers don't see where the other drivers really are but compared to the mockery they make of it now I don't think that's a major issue.

The other issue of correctly rendering the car and not having it wobble about comes down to rendering and physics modelling. Even Forza Apex rendering with max settings and 60Hz locked frame rate has the issue to some degree so I think we just have to improve the modelling. As far back as the original Forza (1) trailer they showed an impressive video replay where the car looked perfect in follow mode, but unfortunately that turned out just to be a pre-rendered demo and not indicative of what you get in-game.

Back