Project Simulation | DIY Cockpits Plans | GT and F1 Style

• Thread starter Masi_23
  • 222 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Update
  • DIY Blueprint set to release this coming Tuesday.
  • Website in the works as well as the F1 rig.
  • Wheel modding service info coming soon.

GT1 Testing:

Cheers,
Eric :cheers:

Cannot wait for the Gt1 blueprints to come out.
I am definitely building one of these with the triple monitor stands

The day just started in Cali (7 am :)). I'll have the site ready a little later.

EDIT: Just doing some final touches with the PDF. Should be out before midnight Pacific Time.

EDIT 2: Still trying to finish things. Will continue through the night and should be available soon. :cheers:

Last edited:
Any news, Eric? :)

Looking forward to seeing the plans. Even though I've nobody to race with locally, I'm so tempted to build a new cockpit just by remembering how fun it was when I built the first one.

yeah, I think Eric's been up late, seeing that he still poster after 12am in his time zone....Maybe we get to have a look at his design tomorrow.
I know I am going to give it a shot.....
Very impressive design....
Compact, rigit..... Cant wait

Hey fellas! Yes, I've had 3 hours of sleep :crazy: I decided to do some last minute changes with the PDF file, being a bit OCD-ish, I like everything to look pretty and easy to read lol. I am still working on it and it will be done by today. Guarantee. I estimate late afternoon, but I'll try and have it up as early as I can.

:cheers:

Masi_23 i think i will copy your design for mine next driving seat, because the one I'm using now is way to heavy to move around my living room where i have the only TV in my apartment. So i decided to go with new Seat and Setup made it from PVC pipes.

I hope you won't be mad when you see somewhere almost similar design.

I don't mind paying for the blue prints but a heads up in the OP a while back would have been nice :(

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I mentioned it right in the very beginning. I also have a 'site sponsor' logo under my avatar which means I have a merchant account here in the forums, as evident with the sticky.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I mentioned it right in the very beginning. I also have a 'site sponsor' logo under my avatar which means I have a merchant account here in the forums, as evident with the sticky.

Can't find where mate.

"Initially, I was hoping to offer both pre-assembled kits and DIY plans... but will only offer DIY plans for now..."

Thanks Enter!

Hopefully I get a few sales from GT1 so I can kickstart the F1 project sooner. I've already got a ton of ideas waiting in my head. Would really love to mimic the exact driving position as much as possible.

Hey guys,

I'm wondering what everyone would prefer for an F1 Cockpit..

Enclosed Monocoque or Open Frame (Similar to Playseat/Rseat)?

The problem I see with a monocoque is how hard it is to get in and out off, especially for T500 owners. Designing an articulating wheel base would be a real challenge. I may also end up using more aluminum, thus making it cost more to build.

The open frame meanwhile will still abide by the same FIA TechReg measurements but with functionality as the main goal. Been working on a render last night, hope to show it to you guys soon.

Hey Masi_23 check this out mate, picture of the driving position in a real F1 car. I would love to collaborate with you, I too have many ideas for this type of rig. I have a lot of experience of working with MDF, I am based in The Netherlands.

Cheers mate

Knipsel_zps15fb4e7f.png

0151_zpsab3e6db5.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Aussie,

I've actually got that same picture and have take some vague measurements to compare with the current 2013 technical regulations. Pretty much the same really. Thats the 08 car Kubica drove (only win for Sauber). I actually e-mailed Sauber a couple of days ago and was surprised I got response right away about measurements. :D

If you've got any ideas, feel free to share. PM me. 👍

Closed cockpit would be better. :)
Or an open cockpit that has the ability to be quickly adapted to a closed cockpit with the addition of a nose piece (MDF, plastic or sheetmetal, etc)

That's what's in the works at the moment. A hybrid frame/monocoque type. Still working a bit of details with the 3D model.

Last edited:
That is looking clean, brad! You can put in end caps in those Tee's, I didn't include them in the guide since they were added cost ($2 each).

👍

Quick Render of the ProSIM F1. Work in Progress.

Still working on pedal mount. No curved parts. Wheel mount positioned for T500 base. Can be higher and closer for G25/G27.
a1-1.png~original

Here is where it should be, over and under the edge. Since pedals from the 3 major manufacturer are a bit long,
they will sit just under the platform, showing just the pedal shaft and faces only - as depicted below in HD sticks :D

a11.png~original

Another angle with real F1 photo in the background. Note the pedals.
2.png~original

Rig was built up from real FIA TechReg Monocoque dimensions - so you can enclose it if you like. Blue signifies the opening,
red shade is actual frame enclosure footprint.

3-2.png~original

The seat frame is intentionally recessed lower to accommodate padding (or expanding foam if you prefer).
4-2.png~original

FIN
5-1.png~original

(c) 2013, Project Simulation. All rights reserved.

Last edited:
:tup:Looks like you know what you're doing, great work with the renderings and I especially like the overlaid pictures. Subscribed!

Thanks lemans.

One issue I found is how little clearance the T500 base allows. You have about 15 centimeters to slide your legs in if you want to stay true to FIA limit of 550 mm from cockpit floor to the top of the steering wheel (Logitech wheels shouldn't be a problem). 15 centimeters should be enough of a clearance for most though, specially since you'll be pretty much laid out. I have bulky legs from track and football, and i thought it was adequate when i did a quick mock up on my kart seat.

Anyway, ill work on the pedal mount tonight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back