Project Simulation | DIY Cockpits Plans | GT and F1 Style

• Thread starter Masi_23
  • 222 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an update.

Should be compatible for pedals that have flat bases with perpendicular shafts. T500 pedal mount will have a different design. G25/G27 pedals will need to have customized mounts also (needs to be taken off housing). Fanatec pedals need customized base also to have proper rake.

ProSIM F1 Cockpit WIP

ProSIMF12.png~original

ProSIMF12b.png~original

Overlayed on a Sauber F1

ProSIMF12c.png~original

With Enclosure

ProSIMF12d.png~original

Interior Perspective

ProSIMF12e.png~original

- Masi

Masi, I'm seriously considering this.
But I have a couple questions...
1) It appears there is no welding involved in the GT cockpit. Is this correct?
2) How easy is it to move around? Could I easily push it from one end of my living room to another for storage? Is it very heavy?
3) All of your pictures have the T500 RS pedals in them. Are the G27 pedals easily used? What if I want to reverse mount my G27 pedals?
4) Rather than purchasing a new seat, I have a few go kart seats lying around. Do you think these could be used? Picture for reference.

Last edited:
Hi gogatrs,
  • 1. No welding. Connections made with Glue and hex bolts (cheap but strong and functional).
  • 2. It's very light but that all depends on what seat you install. My current seat is very heavy and combined with the also heavy T500 wheel/pedals, I am still able to move it around easily but with some effort, but I would not advice it if you don't have some kind of protection underneath. I am planning to put it on top of a rolling platform for much better mobility. I would bet having the G27 set along with a kart seat will make it a ton lighter.
  • 3. Yes, any wheel and pedal combo will work. I have mine hard mounted. For the G27, I would personally get rid of the housing and set up each pedals individually, otherwise, you can just hard mount with the housing itself.
  • 4. Yes, that should be fine, although you would have to build your custom mount as it would be a bit low with a kart seat.

Last edited:
Update 3.

Quick Kimi renders. Final design for T500 and CSW.

9326721736_0cbe5b4eae_o.png

9323927719_b5dec63a9c_o.png

9326721882_41b3164644_o.png

9323927627_cfce02d89a_o.png

Last edited:
I felt obliged, as a friend of a friend of a friend (lol) drives for Lotus F1 Junior Team. ;)

Also, been a Kimi fan for quite some time. Raw speed! :)

Last edited:
As you can see i am a big lotus F1 fan, looking really good, i think this will be a sure purchase for me in the future :)

Just a couple of thoughts:-

Regarding the clearance available on the T500, I have a Racestar GRP cockpit where the wheel mount section can slide backwards and forwards. This certainly helps in getting in and out but does limit how close the centre monitor can be sited.
http://imageshack.com/i/jxdscf0391wej
http://imageshack.com/i/g4beq4j

I had individual vinyl logo's made up by a local sign company, see the links above. Such company's can these days provide amazing graphics for vans where virtually the whole side of the van is a high resolution vinyl sheet. Given the difficulty of getting a decent paint finish on MDF a possible solution may be to just paint the edges and inside and have vinyl sheets made up to cover the face of the MDF, or to just paint the edges and use vinyl sheets on both front and rear race (depending on cost of course).

An advantage of this would be that all of the logo's and any text required would all be printed on the sheet.

@ Enter - :cheers:

@ roadster - Thanks for the info Roadster. I'm gonna test the proto first before deciding on any advanced wheel mount where it articulates to get in and out easily. I think with the current design, it's not really needed, but we'll see soon enough. I'll begin the build today and hopefully finish within a week.

Anyway, did you build that cockpit yourself? Because I couldn't find any info about Roadster GRP. Very nice bu the way! 👍

Hi Masi. Thanks.

It's a commercially made cockpit manufactured in Germany by Race-Star, the company that now produces the ConverTTable (a coffee table that converts to a rig). Having ceased production a few years ago they were going to start making them again in Austria but it's all gone very quiet. I was fortunate enough to pick this up pre-used as there's no way I could have afforded to buy a new one!

As it was originally designed for the relatively light wheels and pedals that were available at the time I've done a lot of work to strengthen it to accept the Logitech G27 pedals and the particularly heavy Thrustmaster T500 wheel. Soon I'll be making a new floor for the front to provide a stronger mounting for the G27 pedals as I've recently bought the pressure cylinder Brake Mod from the the Total Spanish Simulator company http://www.totalspanishsimulator.com/wp/en.

I've also fitted speakers, the front speakers mounted as 'wing mirrors', plus it now has a transducer (Bass Shaker) fitted to each side of the seat plus one underneath. A fourth one to fit to the pedal plate is a planned addition.

For the benefit of other sim racers I hope that you do have success with your F1 plans. The design of Rseat RS Formula chassis was a breath of fresh air but so expensive. I was really pleased to see your idea for the F1 chassis, and that you were to make the plans available to purchase. Good on ya.

Just a couple of thoughts:-

Regarding the clearance available on the T500, I have a Racestar GRP cockpit where the wheel mount section can slide backwards and forwards. This certainly helps in getting in and out but does limit how close the centre monitor can be sited.
http://imageshack.com/i/jxdscf0391wej
http://imageshack.com/i/g4beq4j

I had individual vinyl logo's made up by a local sign company, see the links above. Such company's can these days provide amazing graphics for vans where virtually the whole side of the van is a high resolution vinyl sheet. Given the difficulty of getting a decent paint finish on MDF a possible solution may be to just paint the edges and inside and have vinyl sheets made up to cover the face of the MDF, or to just paint the edges and use vinyl sheets on both front and rear race (depending on cost of course).

An advantage of this would be that all of the logo's and any text required would all be printed on the sheet.

Not to thread hijack, but do you know of anywhere that produced low cost large vinyl sheets with graphics ? This seems like a great idea

Hi Masi. Thanks.

It's a commercially made cockpit manufactured in Germany by Race-Star, the company that now produces the ConverTTable (a coffee table that converts to a rig). Having ceased production a few years ago they were going to start making them again in Austria but it's all gone very quiet. I was fortunate enough to pick this up pre-used as there's no way I could have afforded to buy a new one!

As it was originally designed for the relatively light wheels and pedals that were available at the time I've done a lot of work to strengthen it to accept the Logitech G27 pedals and the particularly heavy Thrustmaster T500 wheel. Soon I'll be making a new floor for the front to provide a stronger mounting for the G27 pedals as I've recently bought the pressure cylinder Brake Mod from the the Total Spanish Simulator company http://www.totalspanishsimulator.com/wp/en.

I've also fitted speakers, the front speakers mounted as 'wing mirrors', plus it now has a transducer (Bass Shaker) fitted to each side of the seat plus one underneath. A fourth one to fit to the pedal plate is a planned addition.

For the benefit of other sim racers I hope that you do have success with your F1 plans. The design of Rseat RS Formula chassis was a breath of fresh air but so expensive. I was really pleased to see your idea for the F1 chassis, and that you were to make the plans available to purchase. Good on ya.

I see. The name rings a bell, but I can't exactly remember when and where i've heard of them. How is the clearance between your legs and the base of the T500? Is it touching or is there a bit of wiggle room? I can imagine how hard it can get to insert your legs in. I think my current design without the enclosure would be alright. I intentionally recessed the side panels (angled away from driver) that holds the wheel base to allow for a more easier entry. There's about 150mm clearance at the narrowest, which is adequate. On average, legs at rest rises about 100mm+.

Anyway, awesome idea about the side mirrors for speakers! The vinyl as well - I may look into it once everything is sorted out. Would realy like to produce a few special editions with liveries. And speaking of pedals, you should check out some of the hydraulic pedals available on the market now, specifically HPP. They have a 2 pedal F1 type system that goes for around 500 US$.

Thanks! I hope so, too. And yes, Formula One cockpits really command Formula One prices. I could not justify buying either the Playseat or RSeat rigs, so I decided to build one for less.

Not to thread hijack, but do you know of anywhere that produced low cost large vinyl sheets with graphics ? This seems like a great idea

Have a scout around your area for any sign companies that can produce high resolution photo's onto vinyl, typically used to cover the side panels on a van or even the entire side.

Smaller companies may be able to produce the individual logo's etc. and attach these to a vinyl backing sheet of the appropriate colour but it would depend on their maximum width of vinyl versus the width of the largest mdf panel i.e. is it wide enough.

How is the clearance between your legs and the base of the T500? Is it touching or is there a bit of wiggle room?

With the wheel mount slid forward I can stand on the seat and rest my hands on the the top edge of the seat and slide myself into the cockpit. Once in, the wheel mount is then slid towards me and locked. I have a reasonable clearance (around 25-30mm) as my knees are then in front of the lowest part of the added heavy duty metal support tray.

This is possible because the sides of the GRP seat are 60mm wide and the seat is strong enough to support my whole weight as I slide in. With an enclosed cockpit in MDF the problem is going to be where can you place your hands while you slide in, that will be strong enough to support the weight.

A possible solution may be to have the wheel support platform attached to side bars by small metal arms, that were fixed by screws that were not fully tightened, so that the wheel mounting platform would both raise by a few centimeters and move back slightly as it was moved. It would only need a small locking device to hold it in place once you were in.

Last edited:
For the frame itself (without enclosure) I think it wouldn't be much of a problem to get in and out, but i'm still planning to implement a hinge type mechanism where you can tilt up the wheel mount to get in easier and lock it back down when it's ready to race. But as you have mentioned, with an enclosure, it would have to be a bit more complex; even the real F1 drivers remove their wheel to be able to get in, and that's without a humungous wheel base! In terms of bracing, I think MDF would be good enough with the proper brace. I'm thinking lightweight but strong pine wood - much cheaper than aluminum extrusions and the likes.

In any case, once I do get the time to be able to build and sell custom, pre-assembled kits, I will not include the enclosure, just the frame - although I could supply a suggested DIY guide/blueprint for the enclosure. For the meantime, I will focus on the open air frame. Great idea with Vinyl, btw. I have found a local shop; I'll have a go and ask for some quotes when I get the chance.

👍

Doing well ;) Still working on the F1 design. About to size up the rig with myself - will reveal some progress soon.

Hello Masi_23,

I have just read about your plans and, as I want to build a rig, would very much like to purchase one of your plans for the Formula One style. How do I keep-up with your posts? Is this your main posting venue?

Again, thanks in advance for your thoughts, engineering and in responding to reader input.

For my set-up, I'm considering Fanatec F1 wheel and ClubSport pedals, etc.

Be Well

Hi Agent 007, ;)

Thank you for the interest. Yes, this is the main place for updates, there is also one in the iRacing member forums, but GTPlanet is open public, so it's more preferrable. You can subscribe to the thread and receive alerts whenever someone posts.

The rig/plans will have two optional noses, one for the Logitech pedals, and the other, for the bigger pedals such as the T500, Clubsport pedals, and the like.

Cheers

EDIT

Right, so I may have to get away a little bit from building the frame within the tight confines of the FIA regulated F1 monocoque measurements. The footprint size will still stay, but vertically, It's too confined for the big pedals (T500, CSP, etc), so I will have to lower the floor where you're whole leg (Calf/Tibia-Fibula) is supposed to rest. Will post new renders in a few hours.

Last edited:
Update 4

ProSIM F1 Cockpit Proto V4

Right, now this IS the final design that supports both the Clubsport Wheel Base and Pedals, and the Thrustmaster Wheel and pedals (Thrustmaster pedals shown below). There will be different nose designs (detachable) to accomodate any high-end pedals with vertical/perpendicular pedals like Emery Emondm's, HPP, and the likes. The pedal mount below is adjustble; disrance and rake.

9355647061_5090fb243a_o.png

9355647181_14355bb48b_o.png

9358420376_b2aaa89aaa_o.png

Comparison to V3

9326721736_0cbe5b4eae_o.png

9323927719_b5dec63a9c_o.png

9326721882_41b3164644_o.png

Last edited:
Hi Masi. I really wouldn't be too worried about complying with the FIA monocoque regulations too vigorously. The vast majority of members will be more than happy with something that looks the part, as yours will. And to be honest a lot of us wouldn't be able to fit in an FIA regulation monocoque !!

I love the way this is looking and would second the comment re the McLaren livery. You have some excellent design skills.

Masi I have been messing around with some old mdf I had in the garage and now seeing your F1 cockpits I will get on my old auto cad and whip something up.I don't think I will fit in one of yours.Actually I won't,Thanks.

@ Lemans & roadster2 - Thanks guys! Yeah.. I am very meticulous when it comes to details, but I just had to compromise with this one. I may have to raise the wheel mount in case It's still a tight fit when I get to it. We'll see.

@ Dean J - Thanks!

@ killerjimbag - Glad to have inspired you. 👍

Did a quick softening of the textures. Lewis:

9359201915_80c7019897_c.jpg

9361980942_bfbcc52c1d_c.jpg

9361980826_b137503047_c.jpg

Hmmm... a bit of a fail on this one. Not really sure I got the spirit of the Red Bull. Liking the McLaren better. Seb:

9359201607_b775e7dd58_c.jpg

9361980670_b5e4ff7100_c.jpg

9361980632_df11e79c8b_c.jpg

Anyway, that's it for the renders. These liveries are just for show btw - so you guys see the potential ;) I've cut the seat side panels (back) and some of the basic support structures. I'll have pics posted when I finish the core parts (Center Side Panels, Wheel Mount, and Nose).

- Eric

@Masi_23 great work with both cockpits, keep it up!👍

I've been designing my own cockpit but I can't decide the steering wheel base/floor height and I want to ask you if you could tell me the height of the GT1 cockpit so I can adapt to my own cockpit.

This would help me a lot and I would be much appreciated if you could help.

I've been designing my own cockpit but I can't decide the steering wheel base/floor height and I want to ask you if you could tell me the height of the GT1 cockpit so I can adapt to my own cockpit.

Or you could of course be really decent and buy a set of Masi's F1 plans, gain the information that you want from there and give Masi something in return for all his hard work :)

So Masi, i have a question.

When these are ready will you be selling the actual units or only the plans?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back