PS3 General Discussion

Dude, we get it, you have an uncomfortable love for your 360. Get over it, we don't care. Leave this thread, and never come back, unless you have something important to talk about. This is the PS3 discussion thread, not the 'why I love my 360 so much, but my PS3 isn't my GF' thread.

what happened the last time you started talking like that? is this going to be a repeat because I'm pretty sure if you go again you will be the one who isn't allowed back.

I believe I finally found a use for the PS3, I bought my HDTV today (a 40" Sony 1080p) and I watch the special edition of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I'm impressed with Blue Ray for the most part, other then the ludicrously high price of the films I don't really have a complaint about it. The PS3 is still the cheapest Blue Ray you can buy, Best Buy is still getting $649.99 and up for most of there player (they might have cheaper one but I did not see them), that alone makes it a good investment now...unlike before which it was just an object that sat around collection dust. I really wish some titles would come out that I was remotely interested in, I rented that Uncharted: Drake's Fortune game and didn't really care for it, but I think it was the sheer idiocy of the story line that irked me the most.

One thing that irritated me about the PS3 though was you have to buy an HDMI cable in order to watch or play anything in HD. The 360 at least gave me those orange, green and blue connectors (I have no idea when they are called) with the system so I could play around on that with having to get an HDMI cable. Granted I am going to buy more cables online in order to hook every thing up with them, but since I wanted to play with my new toys today I needed to spend $24.99 on the damn thing. I know HDMI is better but I just think I should have gotten the stuff in the beginning.

Oh is there a remote I can get for the PS3? Using the controller sucks for trying to play movies. I don't need anything epic or expensive, just something to make using the controls either while I'm kicking back in my Lazy Boy.

To sum it all up I do dislike the game selection since there is nothing that suits my tastes but the Blue Ray makes up for that.

Shop around for your Blu-ray films, you will find a lot on-line that sell for significantly less than retail.

The PS3 remote is also worth investing in, if you watch a lot of films, I have one and find it very handy. Its also Bluetooth so you don't have to point it straight at the PS3 to work.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MWQTLU/?tag=gtplanet-20

It is a bit annoying that the PS3 does not come with a HDMI cable, but not a great issue, as they are easy and cheap to pick up (and unlike analog cables the price does not make a significant difference to quality at all, unless you are looking at running them over a great length). The advantages over other methods of connection for the PS3 with a HDTV are that you will also be able to upscale DVDs, well worth a try as a good DVD will upscale well, its still not a patch on Bluray, but well worth a look (any of the THX remastered Star Wars films look excellent). HDMI will also work with the latest generation of Home Cinema amps, allowing full 7.1 uncompressed sound to be used.

Well worth it all round.

👍

Scaff

To sum it all up I do dislike the game selection since there is nothing that suits my tastes but the Blue Ray makes up for that.
I see why you made sure to bold "my taste", as that would explain why you dislike the game selection, and yet I suspect the vast majority feel otherwise. After all, there are people in the world that dislike a lot of things that many others not only like, but love... like ice cream. :)

I'm impressed with Blue Ray for the most part, other then the ludicrously high price of the films I don't really have a complaint about it.
By ludicrous, what do you mean? The vast majority of new releases are only a few dollars more than the DVD edition, and you're getting a lot more for the money.

The PS3 is still the cheapest Blue Ray you can buy, Best Buy is still getting $649.99 and up for most of there player (they might have cheaper one but I did not see them)
Samsung BD-P1400, Sharp Aquos BD-HP20, and Sony BDP-S300 are cheaper, and the Panasonic DMP-BD30K is about the same price, but the PS3's Blu-ray is better in several ways to these as well as most Blu-ray players. If you want to check out a list of all Blu-ray players, HERE is a nice resource.

I really wish some titles would come out that I was remotely interested in, I rented that Uncharted: Drake's Fortune game and didn't really care for it, but I think it was the sheer idiocy of the story line that irked me the most.
:odd: - but then again, your personal tastes appear to be very specific and unique.

One thing that irritated me about the PS3 though was you have to buy an HDMI cable in order to watch or play anything in HD. The 360 at least gave me those orange, green and blue connectors (I have no idea when they are called) with the system so I could play around on that with having to get an HDMI cable. Granted I am going to buy more cables online in order to hook every thing up with them, but since I wanted to play with my new toys today I needed to spend $24.99 on the damn thing. I know HDMI is better but I just think I should have gotten the stuff in the beginning.
It's funny as some people were complaining that the PS3 was too expensive and because a lot of people didn't even have displays with HDMI, Sony shouldn't include a HDMI cable as that means many customers are paying for something they won't even use. In fact, if they included an HDMI cable, what length should it be? A lot of people, like myself, use equipment racks that are over 6' away from the TV. So like the HDMI cable that comes with the Elite 360 (the others do not come with HDMI cable, which MS charges $50 for) would be useless.

That said, you can buy excellent HDMI cable for less than $10 now and shipping can be quite quick, and this way you can get the exact length and extra shielding you feel you need.

Oh is there a remote I can get for the PS3? Using the controller sucks for trying to play movies. I don't need anything epic or expensive, just something to make using the controls either while I'm kicking back in my Lazy Boy.
Yes, and a quick search on Google, and you'll get a couple million hits, even a search in this forum you'll get several related hits, including:
Although I own the remote, I use the controller on many occasions when playing movies and have had no trouble navigating and controlling the video and menus with it. But like other things that you complain about, I can see why you say it sucks.

One tip to using the controler as the remote is to use the TRIANGLE button, as it automatically pops up an onscreen menu for most of the controls in case you have some how forgotten what button does what.

By ludicrous, what do you mean? The vast majority of new releases are only a few dollars more than the DVD edition, and you're getting a lot more for the money.

DVD's are like $12.99 at the most, even new releases, the cheapest Blue Rays are $29.99 that I'm seeing at the store. I know they will come down in price since DVD's were the same way when they came out. I just don't like paying that much for a movie.

:odd: - but then again, your personal tastes appear to be very specific and unique.

How are my tastes odd? I like racing games, RPG's, and sports titles. I think you'll find many people here have the same tastes. I didn't like Uncharted: Drakes Fortune because I have everything in the world against pot hunters which is what this game is promoting. The story line is just moronic.

It's funny as some people were complaining that the PS3 was too expensive and because last year, a lot of people didn't even have displays with HDMI, Sony shouldn't include a HDMI cable as that means many customers are paying for something they won't even use.

I didn't say they should include it, I'm saying they should have included the orange, blue, and green cables that look like RCA ones but aren't.

DVD's are like $12.99 at the most, even new releases, the cheapest Blue Rays are $29.99 that I'm seeing at the store.
What store???? Even Best Buy sells many Blu-ray titles for $20, and the vast majority of new release DVDs at Best Buy are $20 or more.

If the cheapest Blu-ray titles you see are $30 I strongly suggest you look elsewhere. I already posted a link to a price bot for finding the lowest prices, and it includes brick & mortar retailers as well in the event you are not willing or capable of buying online.

How are my tastes odd? I like racing games, RPG's, and sports titles. I think you'll find many people here have the same tastes.
Right, of which there are several popular titles that are in that genre for the PS3... but from past experience, I know any discussion that involves your subjective criticism isn't going to amount to anything but an argument. You say PS3 games are aweful, many others clearly disagree. Let's leave it at that.

I didn't say they should include it, I'm saying they should have included the orange, blue, and green cables that look like RCA ones but aren't.
For which the same logic applies. Why include it when it’s likely most users aren't going to use it, as they either don't need it, or need one with better shielding, or need one that's longer than 6'.

I realize that not getting exactly what you want or need included with your console or any product for that is disappointing, however everyone has different wants and needs, and so there will always be people finding things to complain about if their own wants and needs are not met, should they feel the need to complain in the first place.

Considering how yours is among only maybe two other similar complaints in this forum over the last year, I suppose most don't have an issue with buying the specific type and length of cable they want.

Di-Ni, stop trying to make someone's opinion invalid. It gets old.

I haven't seen Blu-Ray for much under $25 anywhere, I just recall this because the price struck me as high.

On the component issue, most TV's these days have some component input. I think including at least one form of HD output would make sense since they brag about HD on stuff so much.

I haven't seen a single title on the PS3 that interests me yet as well, I would describe my interests in genres similar to Joey's, so I don't think his taste is that unique.

And FYI, Popular does not mean good. Just look at Halo 3 :rolleyes:

Di-Ni, stop trying to make someone's opinion invalid. It gets old.
It's not personal opinions I have an issue with, as clearly stated many times before, its with those that continually exaggerate, and or use false facts to support their opinion, especially when someone posts things like that in an obvious attempt to stir up trouble in a thread and or topic that they clearly have no intention of participating in a reasonable fashion, and instead is just happily looking to get a negative response for which they will often use to escalate their main intention, and that's to argue and insult. Trolling is another word that describes that kind of behavior... and as you say, it does get old!

Case in point:

I think I finally found a use for the PS3, the games are awful but it makes up for that with Blue Ray.

So who wants to bet how long it takes for some moronic fanboy comment on this post?

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2885400&postcount=9450
Apparently Scaff won that contest, as he was the first to respond. Although thankfully neither he nor the vast majority of participants in this thread act like fanboys, and instead post and share accurate and helpful information for the benefit of all who follow these threads, despite being dismissed by a small group of individuals as simply being fanboys...

The Sony fanboys are hilarious.

To which I would again just say this:

Besides, even if he does have an uncomfortable love for the 360 (funny visual BTW :D) , I see no reason why he shouldn't be able to express it, as long as it relates to the topic, which so far it has. As long as facts aren't being exaggerated and or made up, and everyone stays on topic, I would welcome even the most hardcore 360 fans to post here.

The point of these discussion threads is to share information and help each other out, and by welcoming 360 fans to join the discussion, maybe some of them will realize that some of what they thought was true about the differences between the 360 and the PS3 are not true, and also discover the real differences between the two consoles, and might even discover that the PS3 is a perfect fit for them.

Now I agree that hardcore fans of a specific console (or any format) that post in threads about opposing formats with the sole purpose of stirring the pot, misleading others, and attempting to initiate flame wars are as unwelcome as a horde of army ants at a picnic.

I don't know who first said it, but as in most cases, people are either part of the solution or part of the problem, the decision is up to them.

It's not personal opinions I have an issue with, as clearly stated many times before, its with those that continually exaggerate, and or use false facts to support their opinion, especially when someone posts things like that in an obvious attempt to stir up trouble in a thread and or topic that they clearly have no intention of participating in a reasonable fashion, and instead is just happily looking to get a negative response for which they will often use to escalate their main intention, and that's to argue and insult. Trolling is another word that describes that kind of behavior... and as you say, it does get old!

May I ask where I said something that was false or used false facts? Blue Ray movies are quite expensive, the PS3 did not come with the HD component cables, and Uncharted: Drakes Fortune is about pot hunting which I find disgraceful and rather idiotic to make a story out of it...much like Indiana Jones. So please enlighten me where I have made false claims? Or are you just going to post it in the Ludicrous Claims thread again ;)?

Apparently Scaff won that contest, as he was the first to respond. Although thankfully neither he nor the vast majority of participants in this thread act like fanboys, and instead post and share accurate and helpful information for the benefit of all who follow these threads, despite being dismissed by a small group of individuals as simply being fanboys...

There are a lot of Sony fanboys on this site and I have witnessed them all to often make rather idiotic statements in favour of their gaming system...which is just dumb. It's a gaming system, it doesn't affect your life.

If someone says component looks better than HDMI, then they are either blind or do not have an HDTV bigger than 20 inches. HDMI is a digital connection, component is analog. I can switch from component to HDMI on my TV and the difference is very noticeable. Hard edges would blur with component.

Component does support 1080.

If someone says component looks better than HDMI, then they are either blind or do not have an HDTV bigger than 20 inches. HDMI is a digital connection, component is analog. I can switch from component to HDMI on my TV and the difference is very noticeable. Hard edges would blur with component.

Component does support 1080.

Maybe they like the softer look? I know somethings don't look as good with ultra sharp edges... feels too hard.

HDMI > component

There is no debating.

Only in terms of numbers. What looks better to one person does not always look good to another person.

Its what makes us different.

Unless your motto is "Hail Mother Russia"

Unless you don't have a HDTV or flatscreen anything. I have a normal old tube thingey TV, not even flatscreen, and there is no diffrence... lol none...

So please enlighten me where I have made false claims? Or are you just going to post it in the Ludicrous Claims thread again ;)?
I wouldn't be so cheeky for someone at age 20 who claims they have driven 20 or so cars that are in GT4 long enough, and only under normal driving conditions, and then uses that to come to the unquestionable conclusion that all 700+ cars including the hundreds of rare race & production cars and other production cars do not drive at all realistically, and even horribly as you have said, while at the same time you say, as a point of fact, that Forza 2 is superior in terms of realism in driving physics. All the while ignoring my point that why you may feel that way, and while you are entitled to your own personal subjective opinion, in no way what you claim, regardless of its truth, is any accurate way of objectively being able to make such a claim... and to do so, is in my opinion certainly is ludicrous, but that’s also subjective.

That said...

May I ask where I said something that was false or used false facts?
You conveniently left out exaggerated, but regardless there are plenty of examples one can see in any number of your posts over the months, but regarding your recent PS3 rant:

I'm impressed with Blue Ray for the most part, other then the ludicrously high price of the films don't really have a complaint about it.
Funny you mentioned the new Close Encounters Blu-ray, here are the prices at Amazon fo rthe Blu-ray and DVD versions:

The PS3 is still the cheapest Blue Ray you can buy
I already listed three players from three different manufacturers that sell for less, and there are others that can be found selling for less if you take a moment to search online.

DVD's are like $12.99 at the most, even new releases
As you mentioned Best Buy:

Top 10 Best Selling DVDs this week and their price at Best Buy:
  1. $20.00 Simpsons Movie, The (Widescreen)
  2. $25.00 Rush Hour 3: Platinum Edition
  3. $20.00 Kingdom, The (2007) (Widescreen)
  4. $23.50 Harry Potter and the Order Of The Phoenix (2-Disc Edition)
  5. $30.00 Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End (2-Disc Special Edition)
  6. $20.00 Bourne Ultimatum, The (Widescreen)
  7. $25.00 Superbad: 2 Disc Unrated Extended Edition
  8. $18.00 High School Musical 2: Extended Edition
  9. $18.00 Ratatouille
  10. $20.00 Eastern Promises (Widescreen)
So no, most new release DVDs are not any where near as low as $13 let alone "at most $13". In fact, do a little checking online and you'll find most DVDs that have been out for even as much as a year sell for $15-$25.

For $13 or less you are largely talking about older DVD releases that have long past their sales peak, not new releases.

the cheapest Blue Rays are $29.99 that I'm seeing at the store.
Well conveniently you left out the name of the store, but as you mention Best Buy; just one quick look online, and I see they have over 200 Blu-ray titles, by far the majority that sell for $25 or less, and about 25 that sell for $20 or less.

In fact, the Blu-ray version of Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End sells for $5 less than the DVD version!

Besides that, just before your posts there has been several posts clearly pointing out that there are several retailers selling Blu-rays for much less than $30 if you bother to look, or use a price search site.

Seriously, how blatant can you be in your exaggeration each and every time you rant about the PS3, and now Blu-ray pricing?

Enough already, please troll somewhere else!

There are a lot of Sony fanboys on this site and I have witnessed them all to often make rather idiotic statements in favour of their gaming system...which is just dumb. It's a gaming system, it doesn't affect your life.
Can you defend that statement with quotes from these so-called fanboys on this site making rather idiotic statements, or is this just yet another one of your gross exaggerations?

I would say though, for someone who has posted a few dozen times posting over and over again, far more than anyone else on how you first didn't believe that the 360 had serious reliability problems and then when it was pointed out to you that even Microsoft finally admitted to some of the problems with the 360, you then largely blamed users of 360's for causing much of the problems.
Yes, for someone who made those rather, well you said it not me, kind of statements, maybe you should consider your own advice and remember it's a gaming system; it doesn't affect your life.

I would hope you can at least agree with me that it is far better to post accurate and reasonable information, rather than rants on topics that one has not even bothered to do some basic research on, so as to avoid as best as possible posting false or misleading information.

If not, and if you believe what you said about it just being a gaming system, and doesn't affect your life, then why not stop complaining about these gaming systems that you say don't affect your life. 💡

Let's all just calm down a bit. Retail Blu-Ray discs are about 40% more expensive than the DVDs on the other shelf. Some of us don't like to buy everything online, so we're not going to waste countless hours trolling the Internet, finding the cheapest deal. I've been to several stores around here, and the general price for a Blu-Ray disc is $30, compared to $15-$20 for a DVD.

Lets not calm down, It very entertaining :) D-N should done like me and just ignored Joeys negative PS3 quotes since he never specified what games he's played that he doesn't like and what he loves in the 360 line up.

So what if Blu ray cost more, you get what you pay for. HD video looks beautiful and I'm only a 32 in cheap HDTV.

Let's all just calm down a bit. Retail Blu-Ray discs are about 40% more expensive than the DVDs on the other shelf. Some of us don't like to buy everything online, so we're not going to waste countless hours trolling the Internet, finding the cheapest deal. I've been to several stores around here, and the general price for a Blu-Ray disc is $30, compared to $15-$20 for a DVD.
Best Buy is retail last I checked (and one of the largest DVD sellers in the world), and Amazon is not what I would call "trolling the internet" for the lowest possible price, yet I showed that even at Best Buy, the price difference is not that dramatic, where most Blu-ray titles sell for $25 and not a single top 10 best selling DVD is priced below $18 at Best Buy, with three of the 10 selling for $25 or more... that's not $20 let alone $13, right? Also as shown in my post, sometimes even the Blu-ray version is actually cheaper... although I suspect that's obviously rare.

Bottom line, new DVDs are not at the most $13, and the cheapest Blu-ray titles are not $30.

Look, I've purchased more than 2,500 DVDs and have about 50 Blu-ray titles, so I think I have a little experience with knowing how much each costs, but even disregarding that, I've just posted actual current prices that already show the price difference is not that dramatic unless of course you unfairly compare an older release DVD that has long past its selling peak and thus discounted over the years to a new Blu-ray release... but then that's not a realistic comparison, right?

Apples to apples, the price of Blu-ray movies that have come out over the last year are generally only about $5 more, and in some cases even less than DVDs that have come out over the same period of time.

Look, I'm not interested in having an argument, only to do my best to make sure others aren't misled by inaccurate information, something that I'm sure you can agree is a good thing.

But why are you arguing about what I see with my own eyes at the stores where I live? I'll agree that the price difference between Blu-Ray and DVD is not crippling, but there is a difference.

Look, I'm not interested in having an argument, only to do my best to make sure others aren't misled by inaccurate information, something that I'm sure you can agree is a good thing.

Thats a lie.

You try you hardest to find only the information that leans heavily in favor of Sony and heavily against any other competitor. Everything I see from you reeks of a heavy bias, with the key difference being you hide in massive explanations on why your personal opinion is superior to another's.

I love a good natured discussion as much as the next engineer or geek, but you take small things people say and exaggerate and inflate the issue to a critical level. On top of that, you cannot resist biting on small, trite things, such as Joey's comment on his taste. The over all nature of his post was positive in that he had found a nice, legitimate use for his PS3. But you had to write upon his errors in pricing, game taste, and his comment on finding it funny they don't include any form of HD out bundled with the system.

You present your opinion like it is the only valid one because of the facts you present. Facts and opinions are very different things. Some people hate a car based solely on its looks, regardless of how amazing the rest of it is. I base my interest in consoles primarily on exclusive titles that interest me, and even then, I only pick up a couple of games period (I've bought only 5 games for my PS2... and own 7 all together). Other people would pick networking features, or party games, or how they like the controllers.

The point is, you can through up your spreadsheets, articles, "facts," and other data to back-up your opinion. Thats great. But stop trying to invalidate other people's opinions with the same data, as well all know how to use Google and the internet here.

But why are you arguing about what I see with my own eyes at the stores where I live?
I'm not. Nor was I even mentioning what I see with my own eyes at the stores where I live. Instead I was simply pointing out actual proof from two of the largest DVD retailers in the world, that can be seen by all eyes, that the prices and price differences are not anywhere near as large as what was being suggested.

I'll agree that the price difference between Blu-Ray and DVD is not crippling, but there is a difference.
That's what I said, so why are you now arguing with me?

Yes, there is usually a difference, and usually the Blu-ray is more expensive, but most of the time the difference is minimal, occasionally the same, and sometimes the Blu-ray version can be cheaper.

Thats a lie.
No, but I can understand why you might say that when I consider the source.

The over all nature of his post was positive in that he had found a nice, legitimate use for his PS3. But you had to write upon his errors in pricing, game taste, and his comment on finding it funny they don't include any form of HD out bundled with the system.
What's funny is how you completely misrepresent Joey's posts. More than half of what he said in that post was very critical, not positive, and where does he say he found it funny that it didn't come with a HD cable.

In case you forgot, here is what he said:

One thing that irritated me about the PS3 though was you have to buy an HDMI cable in order to watch or play anything in HD.
If you consider being irritated as being funny, claiming ludicrously high price of blu-rays, PS3 having been a bad investment and collecting dust until now, games being awful, having remotely no interest in them, the sheer idiocy of the story of UDF, and the controller sucking as a remote, as not making the overall nature of his post quite negative. (although there's nothing wrong with being negative, as long as your honest and you aren't posting misleading info to support it)

If that's really how you interpreted Joey's post, maybe that helps explain some other things you said as well.

The point is, you can through up your spreadsheets, articles, "facts," and other data to back-up your opinion. Thats great. But stop trying to invalidate other people's opinions with the same data, as well all know how to use Google and the internet here.
That makes no sense. If someone is posting false or misleading info to support their opinion, your saying that's OK? Unless I'm mistaken, the first rule in GTP's own AUP is to not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate, right?

This is pathetic, I give up... go for it Joey, and “friends of Joey”, ignore the AUP and continue to spread all the misinformation you like for what ever purpose you like. I guess it must be really important to you and I guess GTP will be a better place with more misinformation and less actual facts that get in the way of reason, logic, and intelligent civil discussions. :indiff:

PS: Thanks for reminding me what it is about the internet I find most disturbing, the spread of misinformation from individuals hiding behind a computer screen, who face no consequences for their destructive behavior. :ouch:

Instead I was simply pointing out actual proof from two of the largest DVD retailers in the world, that can be seen by all eyes, that the prices and price differences are not anywhere near as large as what was being suggested.
This is kind of a ludicrous debate, anyway. Case in point, shortly after I picked up my PS3, I went to Fred Meyer to buy some movies. I bought Goldeneye on DVD for $7.99, and Casino Royale on Blu-Ray for $32.99. Today at Best Buy, I saw the Pirates special edition Blu-Ray selling for the same price as the DVD version. There is plenty of variation, depending on what you're looking for and where you buy it.

That said, I don't think Joey really posted anything that's particularly misleading or inaccurate. There's really no need to release the venom on this issue.

No, but I can understand why you might say that when I consider the source.

Are you implying that I make false claims, or that your sources would lead people to think you are lying? Or that we assume you are a liar for some reason? Really, a very open ended bit there.

What's funny is how you completely misrepresent Joey's posts. More than half of what he said in that post was very critical, not positive, and where does he say he found it funny that it didn't come with a HD cable.

In case you forgot, here is what he said:

Joey
One thing that irritated me about the PS3 though was you have to buy an HDMI cable in order to watch or play anything in HD.
If you consider being irritated as being funny, claiming ludicrously high price of blu-rays, PS3 having been a bad investment and collecting dust until now, games being awful, having remotely no interest in them, the sheer idiocy of the story of UDF, and the controller sucking as a remote, as not making the overall nature of his post quite negative. (although there's nothing wrong with being negative, as long as your honest and you aren't posting misleading info to support it)

If that's really how you interpreted Joey's post, maybe that helps explain some other things you said as well.
Really, the main point of his post was to say he found a use for his PS3 and to ask about finding a remote. Perhaps you read into differently, because I often see you reading into things just so you can be critical of them.

That makes no sense. If someone is posting false or misleading info to support their opinion, your saying that's OK? Unless I'm mistaken, the first rule in GTP's own AUP is to not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate, right?

This is pathetic, I give up... go for it Joey, and “friends of Joey”, ignore the AUP and continue to spread all the misinformation you like for what ever purpose you like. I guess it must be really important to you and I guess GTP will be a better place with more misinformation and less actual facts that get in the way of reason, logic, and intelligent civil discussions. :indiff:

PS: Thanks for reminding me what it is about the internet I find most disturbing, the spread of misinformation from individuals hiding behind a computer screen, who face no consequences for their destructive behavior. :ouch:

I see no mis-information in his post at all. I see the information had on hand, which was what he was observing in retail outlets in his area. His information is no less valid than your information. Its just from different sources. You are obsessive over this "mis-information," but what it more looks like is "information that doesn't support Sony." From what I am seeing in here, you, Digital-Nitrate, are the only one that thinks Joey has spread mis-information. And I have seen similar situations between you and other members on this forum.

My involvement in this has nothing to do with me being a friend of Joey. It has far more to do with you defining your opinion as superior to another's by finding information to undermine their views. Its sickeningly similar to those arguments people use to say their religion is better than another persons. Get off your soap box and realize you are just another person with an opinion - it is just as valid as anyone's.

PS: This spread of "mis-information" is something I would happily discuss with you in person, if that was an option. I am this to the point and more than happy to get into long debates, discussion, or arguments at end.

This is kind of a ludicrous debate, anyway. Case in point, shortly after I picked up my PS3, I went to Fred Meyer to buy some movies. I bought Goldeneye on DVD for $7.99, and Casino Royale on Blu-Ray for $32.99.
That's exactly the point I made. You are comparing a DVD of a movie that's been on DVD for over ten years to one that just came out last year. It is only natural that the DVD for GoldenEye is heavily discounted. Frankly, I'm surprised it isn't selling regularly for under $6.

However, when it first came out on DVD it was $30 ($45 MSRP), and most recently released DVDs today sell for $20 and more. Sure, there are weekly sales where some stores will have a deal on a few titles to draw people in the stores, but those are the exception, not the rule.

It's the older titles, and re-released titles on DVD that are bargain priced, and when Blu-ray titles are that old, you'll see the exact same pricing strategies, as well as the same weekly sales and promotions, like Amazon is having right now, where many Blu-ray titles are as low as $15.

Today at Best Buy, I saw the Pirates special edition Blu-Ray selling for the same price as the DVD version
Yes, and on Amazon, the Blu-ray version is $5 cheaper.

There is plenty of variation, depending on what you're looking for and where you buy it.
100% agreed, and why I stressed the importance of making accurate comparisons and not comparing an old DVD title to a new Blu-ray title (not the age of the film, but the age of the video release, just to make sure there is no further misunderstandings).

Again, we agree the price differences in general, apples to apples is not huge, and there are exceptions and differences and will be exceptions and differences favoring both DVD and Blu-ray prices.

Unless you disagree and you think I have said something that isn’t true, can we move past this topic?

Really, the main point of his post was to say he found a use for his PS3 and to ask about finding a remote. Perhaps you read into differently, because I often see you reading into things just so you can be critical of them.
No, I just posted exactly what he said, you are the one that made an interpretation that it was overall positive and I'm still waiting to see where you read "irritated" and came up with him saying it was funny about the cable.

I see no mis-information in his post at all.
I'm not surprised, nor am I surprised you would say unconfirmed anonymous information is no less valid than contrary information from confirmed named sources. It's no wonder you have such opposing opinions.

Its just from different sources. You are obsessive over this "mis-information," but what it more looks like is "information that doesn't support Sony."
That just proves you have read very few of my posts, as I have also been very critical of Sony on many topics.

From what I am seeing in here, you, Digital-Nitrate, are the only one that thinks Joey has spread mis-information. And I have seen similar situations between you and other members on this forum.
Yes, and you make a lot of claims, like I lied, and instead am interested in having an argument, and do not do my best to make sure others aren't misled by inaccurate information.

However for some strange reason I was voted as most Helpful GTP member for 2007, and after only about a year and less than 2,000 posts I was awarded the Quality Member badge. I guess that's evidence of what you accuse me of being?

The fact is I have really grown to like this site and respect the opinions of the vast majority of the members who post here, including those with opinions different than my own. I normally am not a fan of internet forums, for the very reason you and Joey have displayed in this thread, but thankfully yours is a big exception to the rule on GTP at least.

It's this reason I have warmed up to participating on GTP regularly, and have enjoyed countless numbers of wonderfully interesting, informative, and civil discussions. It's why I have not minded spending lots of my free time sharing a lot of what I know with others, and helping fellow members out when ever I have the time.

I have no idea why you would even bring religion into this, but if you truly allowed yourself to, and read more of my posts, you'll find I not only welcome different opinions then my own, but I appreciate them when the person with that opinion supports it with accurate facts and not hyperbole such that I can learn something from it, and have on many occasions changed my opinions based on that.

Frankly, your just insulting me, and getting farther and farther away from the topic. At this point I really can't see any value in continuing this discussion.

PS, I see, like Joey, you have attempted to draw attention to your fight with me in another thread...

Di-Ni and I are getting into in the PS3 thread, grab some popcorn.
How more obvious can you be that the two of you are just in it for the fight and not the facts.

Sad. Glad to be over this, enjoy your games.

Back