PS3 General Discussion

Well, re-install didn't sort out my issues, so I guess I have to look into another hard drive. The symptoms are loss of track textures, and upon exiting, the game freezes in the loading screen. Surprisingly, it only happens with GT6, but I guess GT6 puts my old and 100% original 80gb fatty into hard spot regarding performance..

Bloody hell, after a month of glorious PC gaming i decided to boot up the PS3 again for some red dead redemption.

PSN = down... And to say people have to pay an annual fee to play online :rolleyes:

Well, I put my PS3 in the DMZ of my router. Then I disconnected from my own room.

I tried to see if a store had "GRID Autosport" for the PS3, but it didn't have it. I did look around to try to add some other games to my collection. So what I did was go ahead and get both GRID and GRID 2. I figure I'll get GRID Autosport online for the PS3. I decided to mention GRID and GRID 2 here since there wasn't a general sort of thread on either title. This will be a new experience for me as a veteran of the ToCA Race Driver series from the PS2/Gamecube/XBOX generation of gaming.

This singlehandily what is driving me further and further away from racing online on the PS3. Hell, the only reason I still am on PS3 is because of a video series I'm doing along with a series I'm in.

This singlehandily what is driving me further and further away from racing online on the PS3. Hell, the only reason I still am on PS3 is because of a video series I'm doing along with a series I'm in.
It's PSN's fault, so neither the PS3 nor you are to blame.
When did all these online problems start? I was PC gaming until 2016 when I decided to use that dusty PS3 :lol:

why does the PSN have so frequent downtime...its annoying

It's not limited to PSN.

Xbox Live has been having frequent problems recently.

It gets worse. It's even impossible to play single player games. The article below seems to imply that the trouble is "limited to" downloaded games, however the Xbox Live rep I spoke to told me that it affected disk versions of single player games as well. But only for Xbox One users, Xbox 360 single player games still do not require Xbox Live to be up and running.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/02/22/xbox-live-down-again-as-persistent-troubles-haunt-the-xbox-one/

It's not limited to PSN.

Xbox Live has been having frequent problems recently.

It gets worse. It's even impossible to play single player games. The article below seems to imply that the trouble is "limited to" downloaded games, however the Xbox Live rep I spoke to told me that it affected disk versions of single player games as well. But only for Xbox One users, Xbox 360 single player games still do not require Xbox Live to be up and running.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/02/22/xbox-live-down-again-as-persistent-troubles-haunt-the-xbox-one/
That's just bad. Always on DRM is just bad.

Anyone had a PS3 failure when you turn on the green light comes up for 3-4 secs and then all lights go off ? I have tried every solution on youtube .Putting some cellotape under motherboard, removing capacitors, removing and putting back HDD, trying to push the disc in order that the console starts? I want to play GT6 , my PS4 has been eating dust for a while . Anyone was able to fix this issue, if anyone had it ?

Anyone had a PS3 failure when you turn on the green light comes up for 3-4 secs and then all lights go off ? I have tried every solution on youtube .Putting some cellotape under motherboard, removing capacitors, removing and putting back HDD, trying to push the disc in order that the console starts? I want to play GT6 , my PS4 has been eating dust for a while . Anyone was able to fix this issue, if anyone had it ?
Haven't seen or heard of anything like this but could be similar to YLOD

So, I decided to start up my PS3 again for the first time this year and everytime I try to update the PS Store it crashes the PS3 so far. Tried twice so far, about to try a third time.

+edit
Third times the charm apparently.

+editdeuce
And the ****ing store freezes and crashes every other page. It's taken like 10 minutes for Sony to remind me why I don't use their **** anymore.

Last edited:
I've had PSPs off and on since 2008 and it literally took until today for me to realize that Memory Stick Duos fit in the card reader. I never even checked because I assumed (for some reason) that that card slot was for the older big Memory Stick size.

So according to a retail worker at my local EB (Gamestop for US peps) Ps3 servers won't be cut till after 2018. What a relief.

So according to a retail worker at my local EB (Gamestop for US peps) Ps3 servers won't be cut till after 2018. What a relief.

I'm suprised, 2018 is pretty early and the PS3 still has a lot of life in it yet, the fact that it can still handle current gen developed games with only a slight downgrade is a testament to how powerful it was at launch.

Also what happens to all those "free" PSN games which require a constant renewal of Plus to be playable after it's shutdown?

Okay seriously, why the hell does PS Store crash all the time?

If, if it starts it crashes within 5 minutes.

10 ****ing years and it's still ****.

I'm suprised, 2018 is pretty early and the PS3 still has a lot of life in it yet, the fact that it can still handle current gen developed games with only a slight downgrade is a testament to how powerful it was at launch.

Also what happens to all those "free" PSN games which require a constant renewal of Plus to be playable after it's shutdown?
They'll probably be removed as well if PSN is to be shutdown for PS3. Anywho I went out this week looking for a replacement controller only to find PS3 controllers are now a discontinued product as of December 2015 :crazy:
I do think PS3 has served it's time well, lasting more than 6 years, 10 actually. I keep hearing developers mention the difficulties with coding for the system as an excuse so maybe it is time for the new PS4 which I hear is a vast improvement.

Last edited:
Quick question, can you format as many HDD's as you want to work with the same PS3?

For example if I take out my current HDD and put in a new one can I still put the original back in and have it boot up like nothing has changed?

I'm having PS3 issues and want to try a different HDD without the risk of the old one being somehow disallowed back in by the machine.

Quick question, can you format as many HDD's as you want to work with the same PS3?

For example if I take out my current HDD and put in a new one can I still put the original back in and have it boot up like nothing has changed?

I'm having PS3 issues and want to try a different HDD without the risk of the old one being somehow disallowed back in by the machine.
Old post, but I'm pretty sure you have to reformat an HDD every time you put it in your PS3.

Today, I found out from a past Facebook post I made that I bought my PlayStation 3 and Gran Turismo 5 today back in 2011. I can't believe it has really been five years since I got my PS3. I do feel I've been late to the PS3 party. These days, I do feel I am kind of missing out on the PlayStation 4 party. But then again, my gaming interests have sort of waned. A combination of not really playing much on my PS3 along with having embraced the indie gaming scene a bit more in recent years has sort of diluted my gaming interests. Going from PS2 to PS3 was sort of my way of getting out of being bored with the PS2 and wanting to get to the PS3. This also meant I had to get used to a different sort of gaming culture with Trophies and such. Even still, I have had many a great experience as a gamer. Old-fashioned me had to get used to modern gaming culture in the move from PS2 to PS3. I then played around with Life With PlayStation and PlayStation Home. Only things I haven't touched were Amazon Video, Hulu, Netflix, and stuff like that. I do want to get a PlayStation 4, but I have surely enjoyed my PS3 experience.

Of late, I have been playing Ridge Racer 7. This game from 2006 is one I have somewhat wanted to play for a long time. It's been the past week or so that I've been playing more of it than I had previously when I bought this game along with the first two DiRT games. I actually like RR7 despite it not being so well received by some people. Nothing feels cheap about this Ridge Racer, and I'm speaking as a Ridge Racer veteran. Not even using the nitrous and such feels cheap. Everything still plays like a traditional Ridge Racer but with new life. I got into some pretty exciting races and doing some exciting battles. Try drifting around a corner against four other cars that fired off their nitrous! Quite fun.

I have asked a number of you for suggestions on certain games while I have my PS3. And so on this day, I want to thank all of you for your suggestions. I am even thankful connecting with many of you folks through PlayStation Network. You know I consider you all on GTPlanet to be like my extended international family, and you all have been VERY cool family members of mine in this sense. Once again- thanks!

So the hard drive in my 2010 PS3 Slim is apparently knackered, went into the "File system storage is corrupt" loop. Foolishly I hadn't backed up the few recent saves on the drive so they're probably gone, included 40 hours into MGSV :(. I used to regularly back them up to USB but hadn't recently and I don't play online so don't pay for plus.

Anyone know of any ways to possibly recover them? I know obviously you can't just connect it to PC and copy things off but perhaps there is a way to get at them? I've tried 'HDD Regenerator', someone on a google search suggested they managed to run that, regenerate the bad sectors and then they were able to successfully get through the file system repair on PS3 but I had no luck.

I connected it to my PC, it found and recovered 1600 bad sectors but still the PS3 wouldn't recover, it gave the "An error occurred during the rebuild operation. The system storage must be formatted."

Tried the non-destructive repair options in PS3 safe mode, none worked.

Is there anything that can get at the data?

Sony agrees to pay millions to gamers to settle PS3 Linux debacle:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...linux-on-your-ps3-you-could-get-55-from-sony/

Finally they are being held to account for removing advertised functionality. It was a neat feature which could have been expanded on if they hadn't killed it out of fear of piracy which in the end proved futile as the encryption was broken anyway.

How are you able to get compensation if you are abroad though? I used Other OS on my PS3 but the only proof of use I have is the PS3 specific Yellow Dog Linus ISO files I downloaded for install which shows on Windows when the files were created.

Back