PS3 General Discussion

I'm not understanding what you're trying to say Duck. Every question he answered was straight to the point without any extra jargon. If there's something you're confused about, feel free to ask, I'm positive I can explain it, but as far as I'm concerened, all the questions were answered fairly well.

As far as his statements, he was only re-inforcing the idea that the PS3 functions just like a typical PC, that you can expand it's functionality, just like a PC, by purchasing USB attachments. I don't see why that would be cause for grief.

Like the following:

Q12. Will the network service be charged ?
A12. Basic services available free for current PCs will be free of charge but content and specific services will be charged from the beginning.

Q14. Why did you set such a price for 20GB HDD model ?
A14. We have set this price so that many users can enjoy PS3.

Q41. How many launch titles do you expect to have ?
A41. We expect the best launch line-up in history.
:indiff:

Sounds very much like Micro$oft, talking up the 360. :D

But as for the launch titles, I do expect that the PS3 will have an outstanding launch library, rather like the Dreamcast did. So far it has had the best launch line-up in console history.

Like the following:

:indiff:

1) He compares it to PC services. If the developer wants to charge for monthly service (like MMO's etc) then a charge will be imposed ont he game. However, if there is no charge, then it will be free, just as the PC online gaming industry works, however, the PS3 will share one common user interface among all games.

2) He is stating that they offered the different configuration of the PS3 in order to make it accessible to users who do not wish to have all of the bells and whistles that are not essential to the gameplay of the PS3. Thus, making it affordable to more users so more people can enjoy it, VS the original, higher end configuration.

3) Every company say's this, why, since Sony says it, do you suddenly have a problem with it?

The issue of which cables to supply with the different configurations of PS3 has yet to be decided.
I find that interesting.
I remember getting the first PlayStation which came with a RF lead. The PS2 came with a compsite lead and had that stupid, stupid green-screen with DVD playback via SCART. So I used S-video at first before going to component. I hope I don't need to pay another £25+ for the lead I want for my PS3.

I am hoping the PS3 comes with a HDMI lead though to be honest I do have one already (but I was planning on selling that along with the DVD player it came with).
Will the 20GB (in PAL territories) have a SCART or composite? Or perhaps a component?
I guess they need the consoles to be ready out-the-box but what is needed for connection varies person-to-person. Either a HDMI or Component is okay with me. A SCART misses the point of HD and a composite would be down right ridiculous.
The Premium 360 has component leads. I think it'll be a good bet that the PS3 will too (in the US you have component as standard?).

Also do you need a HDMI lead suitable for HDMI 1.3 or will any half-decent one do?

*suitably admonished* u__u;

I apologize to everyone here at GTP. I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings and I certainly didn't expect such a strong reaction. I just meant to be humourous and it appears that I failed (except for those with a twisted sense of humour, I suppose). I'm sorry.

Sorry for spamming the thread again, as well. :(

tha_con
1) He compares it to PC services. If the developer wants to charge for monthly service (like MMO's etc) then a charge will be imposed ont he game. However, if there is no charge, then it will be free, just as the PC online gaming industry works, however, the PS3 will share one common user interface among all games.
Ok.

2) He is stating that they offered the different configuration of the PS3 in order to make it accessible to users who do not wish to have all of the bells and whistles that are not essential to the gameplay of the PS3. Thus, making it affordable to more users so more people can enjoy it, VS the original, higher end configuration.
Ok.
3) Every company say's this, why, since Sony says it, do you suddenly have a problem with it?
I haven't heard MS say it, I haven't heard Nintendo say it, etc. But whatever, we'll see if it's true come November.

Sony PS3 Comprehensive Report

In A Nutshell

The PlayStation 3 (PS3) is Sony’s next-gen follow-up to the PS2. Sony is emphasizing pure, raw power in the PS3, with cutting-edge technology that aims to blow the competition out of the water, in terms of graphics, processing power, and sheer storage capacity on the discs and the system itself. Sony also plans to improve the lackluster online gaming environment that they had with the PS2. In short, the PS3 is all about making games look as realistic as possible, with a completely overwhelming user experience.

The Controller

The PS3 controller was originally designed as what many came to refer to as the “boomerang”. Speculatively because of negative feedback, they completely redesigned it to be much more like the classic PS2 Dual Shock controller (without the “shock” part, though). At E3 2006, Sony announced that their controller will also have a “motion control” feature, which will enable games to respond to physical movements of the controller.

However, according to Sony this conflicted with any kind of rumble feature they could have, so they threw out that trademark feature from the PS2. Though, many say they did away with the rumble feature to avoid further legal hassles over copyright issues that they faced with the PS2 controllers. One big improvement over the PS2 is that PS3 controllers will be wireless by default, via Bluetooth. You’ll also be able to go wired if you want (if your battery dies or something) with a USB connection. Up to 7 controllers can be used at once.

Backwards Compatibility

Sony prides itself with backwards compatibility when it comes to the PlayStation family. So it’s no surprise that the PS3 will be completely backwards compatible with the entire library of officially licensed PS and PS2 games. Early reports surfaced that only some back-system titles would be playable, but in more recent statements Sony has confirmed that they are committed to providing 100% backwards compatibility, reportedly because the PS3 innards will actually include a PS2 console. This probably is another large reason why the controller will be virtually a duplicate of that of the older system. This means you’ll be able to play your vintage PlayStation library without re-orienting to a radically different controller.

Online Service

What we know for sure about Sony’s online plans for the PS3 is shockingly little. Either they don’t have any great plans for an online community or they’re just waiting for the right time to unveil them. Anyway, what we do know is that, just like for the PS2, connecting online to any of Sony’s games will be free. You won’t even have to buy a network adapter, as the console will have built-in Wi-Fi (if you buy the premium $599 version).

However, if you want to take full advantage of the PS3 online features, you will have to whip out your credit card. Sony will open the gateway for digital downloads via the console, which will assumedly include things like game add-ons and demos. This is a concept that was lacking with the PS2, and it’s something that will make PS3 online a lot more financially viable for other game publishers.

This is the watered down 20GB Sony PS3. Looks dull and is actually missing several vital features (HDMI, WiFi,...)

Connectivity

The PS3 will be able to connect with the PlayStation Portable. This much we know for certain. However, Sony has kept mum on revealing any specific details about what you will be able to do between the devices, but we can get an idea on what they’re planning thanks to details from an old U.S. patent from Sony concerning this technology. The patent talks about the PS3 and the PSP linking wirelessly for a myriad of possibilities. The expected feature is the claim that the PSP will be able to be used as a wireless controller of sorts for the PS3, or at least that it will enhance the gameplay to some extent, much like the Gamecube/GBA connectivity.

What’s also mentioned in the patent is the ability to share content between the systems. Think of it as a wireless computer/portable media player connection. So you could conceivably bring up your PSP music and movies to your TV via the PS3. This could also mean playing PSP games on the big screen. Additionally, there’s mention of using the PS3 online capabilities to communicate with the PSP. So you could have high-speed Internet browsing on your PSP, or download something from the PS3 and then transfer it to your PSP.

Remember that these are all just things mentioned in an 18-month-old patent, so we don’t know for sure which of these features will come to light, especially right after the PS3 launch, or if there are new connectivity features that Sony’s been working on.

Other Stuff

The big breakthrough that Sony is pioneering with the PS3 is the ability to play Blu-ray discs. BDs can hold as much 25 gigabytes on a single layer, versus about 4 gigabytes for a DVD. In addition to providing more content-rich games, this also allows the PS3 to play Blu-ray movies. You will also still be able to play your DVD and CD collection on the PS3.

The PlayStation 3 is also the flagship consumer platform that will make use of the much talked about Cell processor. Via a joint partnership between Toshiba, IBM, and Sony, a new microprocessor was developed, known as the Cell microprocessor, for applications to take full advantage of high-definition televisions and also, in the case of the PS3, to be able to provide graphics that are as lifelike as possible.

Additionally, there’s an impressive six USB slots, which will allow you to totally pimp out your PS3 with accessories, peripherals, etc. Two are in the front of the console, like the PS2, with an additional 4 built into the back. There are memory card slots for SD, CF, and Memory Stick, so you’ll assumedly be able to view pictures and video from your digital memory directly through the PS3. Finally, there’s the hard drive that comes with the PS3 unit. Depending on which package you buy, it’ll have a capacity of either 20 GB or 60 GB.

Pricing

Get ready to start saving (or open a new credit card). The PS3 will set you back a pretty penny. There are two different SKUs for the PS3, much like the Xbox 360 “core” versus “complete” systems. The cheaper PS3 will cost $499 and will come with the 20 GB HDD and the $599 version gets you 60 GB. Also note that the $499 version will not have an HDMI port, axes the built-in Wi-Fi, and does not include a Memory Stick reader.

In terms of games, we still have no idea what the pricing structure will be, which unnerves a lot of people. Game retailers that have gone completely anticipatory in allowing customers to pre-order PS3 games list most of the games as $60, with the disclaimer that the price is not guaranteed. So we don’t know for sure how much they’ll cost, but apparently there’s no skimping around the issue that they’ll exceed the $50 norm of this generation. Speculation of $100 games has been addressed in the negative by Sony but not completely dismissed. We can be pretty sure that $60 or $70 will be commonplace, considering $60 is a standard price for Xbox 360 titles.

What Sony Fanboys Say

The PS3 simply will be able to provide an unparalleled gaming experience. In the current generation, everyone says that the graphics look so lifelike, but you can definitely still distinguish a video game from a live TV image. The PS3 is going to blur that line with its amazing processing power. It will truly be like being a part of a football game, or stepping into a scene from an action movie. The PlayStation 2 was the unquestionable industry leader, and it got there by providing solid, worthwhile games that don’t have an obscure control scheme or expensive online service. That’s what gamers want. The PS3 will be the only system in the next generation to continue to deliver that kind of experience, so it’s sure to be the one that gamers want.

Launch Titles

The following are games that have been either confirmed or are speculated to be available for the PS3 launch:
6Gun 2 - BattleBorne Entertainment
Avalon - Climax Studios
Call of Duty 3 - Activision
Dark Sector - Digital Extreme
The Darkness - Starbreeze Studios
Devil May Cry 4 - Capcom
EA Sports Fight Night Round 3 - EA Chicago
Eyedentify - TBA
Fifth Phantom Saga - Sonic Team
Formula One - SCE Studios Liverpool
The Getaway - SCE Studios Soho
Gran Turismo HD - Sony
Heavenly Sword - Ninja Theory
I-8 - Insomniac Games
Infraworld - Quantic Dream
Killing Day - TBA
Killzone PS3 - Guerilla Games
Metal Gear Solid 4 - Kojima Productions
Mobile Suit Gundam - TBA
MotorStorm - Evolution Studios
Ni-Oh - KOEI
Omikron 2 - Quantic Dream
Possession - Blitz Games
Project Delta - Playlogic International
ShadowClan - Tiger Hill Entertainment
Sonic the Hedgehog - Sonic Team
Tekken - Namco
Vision GT - Polyphony Digital
Warhawk - Incognito Entertainment

Launch Details

The PlayStation 3 will launch in Japan on November 11 and in Europe, Australia, and the US on November 17. You can expect all the big-box retailers to be selling them, and some will definitely have a midnight opening to sell the consoles, though we don’t have any solid information on exactly who will at this point.

Pre-Order Details

Right now, pre-orders are not being taken in the U.S. for PS3 hardware. However, Europe and Australian stores are indeed taking hefty deposits in order to guarantee your unit. Worldwide, you can pre-order select PS3 software.

What We Still Don’t Know

With the PS3 still a handful of months away, we don’t know all the details about what you’re going to expect out of the box in November. Here’s a partial list of the important information we’re still waiting on from Sony:
- If the “new” PS3 controller design is indeed the final retail version of the controller, or if they will tweak the motion detection feature to better compete with the Wii
- If you’ll be able to dump your PSX and PS2 save data into the PS3 hard drive
- Exactly what you can expect from the PSP/PS3 connectivity
- The official list of launch titles
- What kind of content will be available for download from PS3 Online
- The online infrastructure/community for PS3 games
- A full list of what you get in the box with the PS3
- Official prices of PS3 games
- Just exactly what is in-game footage and what is pre-rendered. The E3 2005 scandal, where Sony misled us on this point, has left us all wondering what the PS3 is actually capable of.

Technical Specs

Since they’re just so darn impressive, here’s a list of the technical specs provided by Sony:

CPU Cell Processor 3.2GHz
AV Output HDMI, A/V, Digital (Optical)
GPU RSX "Reality Synthesizer"
Disc Media DVD, Blu-ray, Backward compatible PS2
Supported Resolution 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
Communication Ethernet, WiFi 802.11b/g, Bluetooth
System Memory 256MB XDR
Internal Storage Detachable 2.5" HDD slot (60GB, 20GB)
Controller Bluetooth Wireless (up to 7 additional), Motion sensitive
I/O MemoryStick, SD Memory, CompactFlash, USB 2.0 (4 ports)
Dimensions: 325x98x274mm
Weight: 5KG

Source: I4U News

I haven't heard MS say it, I haven't heard Nintendo say it, etc. But whatever, we'll see if it's true come November.

On Microsofts site they say their launch line-up is the "strongest" in history. www.xbox.com Avoided using the word "best" there! "Best" is such a subjective term. :sly:

July 18, 2006

Analyst: PS3 To Slow Industry Growth, Nintendo & Microsoft Could Capitalize

A new report from analyst group DFC Intelligence's David Cole has once again questioned Ken Kutaragi's positioning of the PlayStation 3 in the coming console generation, and has also indicated that the console's high price could slow the growth of the video game industry. However, the firm also noted that this could make for an exceptional opportunity for competitors Microsoft and Nintendo with each company's competing consoles.

The full text of Cole's report, which was released on the analyst firm's official website as part of a new report, follows below:

“For the past ten years Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) has been the king of the video game market. The first PlayStation (PSOne) and PlayStation 2 (PS2) platforms were THE platforms on which the leading third party publishers made the majority of their revenues. For third party publishers other game platforms had become of secondary consideration to the Sony driven gravy train. Even in 2006, the PS2 continues to sell the most units at retail.

DFC Intelligence has always said that as the dominant market leader, SCE was largely in control of its own fate. Microsoft and Nintendo had to hope Sony fumbled or significantly changed its strategy so that they could get an opportunity to capture some of that PS2 audience. Now it is clear Sony is handing its competitors a golden opportunity.

DFC Intelligence has just released a 600 page report with our latest forecast for the interactive entertainment industry. In this report we predict several different scenarios for the individual game systems. We emphasize that there is a great deal of uncertainty because much will depend on how individual players execute their strategies over the next several years. However, two things are clear: 1) the high price of the PlayStation 3 is going to slow overall industry growth, especially for software and 2) if Sony does not change its current strategy for the PS3 the system will probably end up in third place in installed base. Microsoft and Nintendo have been handed that golden opportunity and both companies have a chance to make their systems the market leader. However, it looks like under any scenario the video game market is going to be severely fragmented, with several incompatible platforms having strong market share and even the possibility of a platform doing well in one region and struggling in another.

As we have mentioned in past briefs, the big concern with Sony is not only the PlayStation 3 launch price, but the signs that Sony has gotten itself into a business model that is not conducive to the mass market video game audience. There has been a lot of talk about positioning the PS3 as not just a video game system, or even entertainment system, but instead as a computer system.

In fact, SCE chief executive Ken Kutaragi told Japanese computer magazine PC Watch in June 2006 that the PS3 is a computer, not a game console. Kutaragi was quoted as saying "we don't say it's a game console, the PS3 is clearly a computer unlike PlayStations so far." In other words, Kutaragi no longer sees the PlayStation brand centered on a specific hardware configuration that has a life of five to seven years, during which time that hardware is steadily reduced in price as production becomes more efficient. Kutaragi views the PS3 as a computer platform that evolves with new features and capabilities on a constant basis. Kutaragi was further quoted as saying "Since PS3 is a computer there are no 'models' but configurations. We'll want to upgrade the hard drive size very soon. If new standards appear on the PC, we will want to support them. We may want the Blu-ray drive to write. In the PC business, if you fix the spec for two years you'll be caught by competitors. Computers should be changing, right? It's inevitable that 60GB hard drive will become too small, and memory may become too small as well."

The problem with that computer strategy is that it means prices do not come down. By fixing its hardware standard for several years, video game console systems have been able to significantly lower prices over time by not having to upgrade to the latest technology. Kutaragi has also talked about what he sees in common between the PS3 and current Apple Computer philosophy and products. There is clearly a little envy behind such quotes from Kutaragi like: "If Mr. Jobs adds an Apple logo to the PS3, I think users will say it can be sold at $2,000. However it's not possible for the PlayStation brand. That is the difference in the computer world between the PlayStation brand and the Apple brand."

We would point out that another major difference between Apple and the PlayStation brand is that the PlayStation 2 had a share of over 60% of the video game console market, while Apple's computer market share has hovered in the 2-3% range. We believe that under Kutargai's techno-elite PlayStation 3 strategy, the PlayStation 3 could end up with a market share more resembling Apple products as opposed to the dominant PlayStation 2 market share.

In other words, we think that for the PlayStation 3 to maintain Sony's number one market share position, Sony will have to shift the current stated strategy of SCE. It should be remembered that SCE is only one part of the much larger Sony Corporation entity. Ten years ago SCE was a non-factor for Sony overall, but the video game business has now become very important. Over the past five years, SCE's video game business has averaged about $7.4 billion in annual revenue and brought in average annual operating income of around $500 million. Can Sony afford to lose this video game business in order to go after the smaller base of elite consumers?

Right now the PlayStation 3 could be considered a relatively inexpensive part of a household looking to go to a high definition system. Consider this mid-level high-definition home theater budget:

High-definition television: $2,500
Stereo Receiver: $600
Speakers: $1,200
Cables: $400
Installation and Calibration: $1,000
Movie/CD/Game Player: $600

Under this budget, a PlayStation 3 is a fairly small line item in what is a $6,000+ take out a home equity line of credit project. Kutaragi is right, for this consumer the PS3 is a bargain. However, we must ask how big that consumer base is and if these are the type of consumers shopping for bargains.

Furthermore, when we are talking about Sony's video game base we are looking at a worldwide business. Consumers in markets like Europe lag behind the U.S. when it comes to spending thousands on a new home entertainment system

Take for an example, Valencia, the third largest city in Spain. Walk into an El Corte Ingles (Spain's flagship retailer) or FNAC (a leading media entertainment retailer) in Valencia and you will see about 67% of video game shelf space given over to Sony products, with another 25% reserved for Nintendo's portable game systems. Valencia even has entire Sony Stores devoted to Sony products. The PlayStation 2 practically defines mass market video games in Spain (and much of Europe) with its casual party franchises like Singstar and Buzz. In other words, Sony has been absolutely dominant in Spain and most of Europe. All that is now at risk with Sony's PlayStation 3 strategy. Sony's new approach seems to be to position its products as luxury items, epitomized by a recent ad in a French high fashion magazine which features a PSP dripping with diamonds.

At 600 euro, the PS3 would be more than 35% of the monthly household income of a family in Valencia. Combined with the 2000 euro for an HDTV that could take advantage of Blu-Ray and four games, the total cost could top 15% of a family yearly income. On a per person basis, that would be almost 40% of an adult Valencian's average income. Consumers in much of Europe (and North America as well) simply aren't ready for that type of expenditure and success for Sony will require that 1) they can keep the PlayStation 2 business alive and slow consumer adoption of new systems and 2) they can make the price more affordable. However, as the chart below shows, even under the best case scenario the PlayStation 3 has a much lower installed base than the PlayStation 2. Under the worst case scenario the bottom falls out for Sony's market share.

So while Sony struggles with positioning issues Microsoft and Nintendo are free to try and build a solid base of actual video game players. The good news is that for both companies, under any scenario, DFC forecasts that the Microsoft Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii will have a larger installed base than their respective predecessors. However, we think the company with the biggest opportunity is Nintendo. With a market leading price and a compelling mass market message the Wii has the opportunity to be the market share leader in all major regions.

The Xbox 360 also has an opportunity to be the overall market share leader, but we think the system will generally be stronger in North America than in Europe or Japan. In fact, even under the best case scenario for the Xbox 360 we predict the system will finish third in Japan while being the number one system worldwide.

Other potential issues that concern us with the Xbox 360 have been Microsoft's struggles to break out beyond the hard-core gamer and the significant losses that the company has been forced to take to build market share. Microsoft could become bogged down in efforts to reach out to the mass market via casual games, portable games and other areas that could distract from the overall Xbox 360 business.

On the other hand Nintendo has almost nowhere to go but up with the Wii. Since the 8-bit NES from the 1980s, Nintendo console hardware systems have sold less and less. Now is the time for Nintendo to turn that around. In the last generation, the casual mass market game audience by and large went with the PlayStation 2. The GameCube was stuck with the loyal Nintendo diehard base. Now with the Wii, Nintendo has the chance to keep its loyal base and expand into a much more mass market audience. By letting Sony and Microsoft split the hard-core teenage/twenty something video game marketplace, the Wii could end up number one in market share for the next generation.

Not surprisingly, under all our scenarios, market fragmentation is a big theme. For the past five years, the PlayStation 2 has been a steady platform that provided a solid worldwide base for software publishers. Sony's strategy is utterly dependent on keeping the PlayStation 2 around for as long as possible and hoping mass market consumers hold-off on upgrading. However slowing the future can be difficult. For a consumer there are all types of choices for playing games: portable games, online games, old console systems, new console systems and so on. The console system remains the largest segment of the overall market, but its importance is clearly declining. Over the next two years we will see which companies can weather the eventual decline by diversifying beyond the PlayStation business."

Source: Gamasutra

----------------------------------------------------------
PS3 Still More Popular Than Wii In Japan

In an act of poll balance and contrary to a recent Famitsu poll, the PS3 is more popular than Wii according to a recent Amazon Japan poll. PunchJump writes: "The overseas retail division of Amazon.com has published a graph that represents customer interest in each platform, with the 60GB PS3 edging out the Wii. The 20GB PS3 was the least popular among customers."

Add the two PS3 editions together, and sales-wise, the PS3 should outsell Wii by about 33% if the Amazon Japan pollsters are correct. Does a lack of a 360 option mean that Microsoft's console isn't even on the radar anymore?

Source: News4Gamers.com

wii-ps3-chart.gif

Hm.. I just realized something.

Gamers are growing up. It's about time a console manufacturer decides to grow up with us.

Think about it.. the average age of a gamer is surprisingly high.. somewhere around thirty (I'm thirty myself). And thirty-year-old gamers can afford the things we want.

I mean, it's one thing for a console to specialize in "mature" games, which usually means things like excessive violence and sex, which really don't do much for actual mature people. The Xbox brand seems to pride itself on being a "mature" console, and yet it doesn't market itself that way. It's the "hip" thing.. the "cool" console to buy. The flashy Scooby zipping around the BMW. But most thirty-somethings aren't "hip" or "cool". We're just people. Me, I'm somewhat conservative.. I do the things I do for my own enjoyment, not for other people's opinions. I'm just as content to sit down and read a good book as I am to play God of War.

That's who the PS3 is marketed at, see? Not the kids.. not the "cool" crowd. It's marketed straight at the actual "mature" crowd.. the ones with a good job, a new car, a nice little house, maybe even a family.

And even the $600 PS3 isn't that much of a stretch for someone like that.

It's not going to slow the market. It's going to add an air of respectability, I think. Back to the Scooby/BMW argument.. the Subaru may be quick and flashy, but the BMW's no slouch. Pull up in front of a nice hotel, and guess which one gets the door opened for him?

Another example.. at the office, we have part-timers and full-timers. The part-timers wear jeans and T-shirts to work. They get paid peanuts, and they sit in front of a bench all day fixing various bits of office electronics. Printers and so forth. The full-timers wear white shirts and ties, get paid a hell of a lot more, and have a desk instead of a bench. The average part-timer is maybe twenty-two years old on average, lives with several roommates, and drives an old beat-up car of some sort. The average full-timer is thirty-something, lives alone or with a family, and drives a new car.

The part-timer buys an Xbox. The full-timer buys a Playstation.

It's all in the mindset, see? Sure, the PS3 may be more expensive than I was expecting it to be, but I don't think it's too expensive to buy.

I agree 100% with you Jedi. These guys are simplifying the senarions in which i guess they get paid to analyse. They dont consider facts like average age of the first consumer(us gen-Xers,diehards) and second consumer(casual gamer) and the third(conformists, trendy people). Or the popular series of games coming to the system as well as new iteresting games and guaranteed japanese support.

IMO, I think we set the tone for the console sales market (those of us who grew up first with Atari and Nintendo, and now are grown up with jobs of our own).

We buy the consoles we chose, often times the ones that offer the premium functions (this is why the original Xbox was even close to a success). We steer the ship in the right or wrong directions. We're often sold out because people think we're too old for games, when in reality, we're some of the biggest spenders otu there.

Asustek ships PS3, CyberTAN may land PS3-use Wi-Fi module orders

Apple Daily and Commercial Times, July 19; Jessie Shen, DigiTimes.com [Wednesday 19 July 2006]

The Chinese-language Apple Daily and Commercial Times reported today that Asustek Computer started shipments of PlayStation 3 game consoles in small volume since the beginning of July, with the first consignment to total four million units. The worldwide debut of Sony's PS3 is expected to take place on November 11.

In addition, Sony will likely place PS3-use Wi-Fi module orders with Taiwan contract suppliers, with CyberTAN Technology being the most likely beneficiary, according to the Apple Daily.

After the first batch of PS3 shipments from Asustek, Foxconn Electronics (the registered trade name of Hon Hai Precision Industry) will also supply Sony's PS3 game consoles when demand rises, indicated the Apple Daily. The paper cited sources at Taiwan component suppliers as saying that about 200,000 component sets were shipped to Asustek in June and the volume will grow this month. In September and October, the suppliers estimate to ship more than one million sets to the game console manufacturer, the paper added.

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060719PB202.html

Well guys check out these screen shots from the up n coming Colin McRae Rally game (multi Platform) these shots are not confirmed as in game, but they are not confirmed as CGI either, so if these happen to be actual in-game shots, the anything else like Motorstor is an ugly sister.

click for bigger images

sprite
Well guys check out these screen shots from the up n coming Colin McRae Rally game (multi Platform) these shots are not confirmed as in game, but they are not confirmed as CGI either, so if these happen to be actual in-game shots, the anything else like Motorstor is an ugly sister.

click for bigger images

Damn, those pictures are beautiful!

Gran Turismo HD really has a contender...for now.

There's a lot of games that look better than GT:HD out on the XB360, GT:HD is nothing more than high-res GT4.

Well those images I posted above are refrence images (Target Renders), the team behind them said that they were, and they also said that they are using the ingame models for the cars, so im guess it could look like this, but we will have to wait and see.

gamesindustry.Biz
Sony said to be receiving 200,000 units this month

According to Chinese business newspaper The Commercial Times, production has already begun on the PlayStation 3 as Sony gears up for the next-gen console's November launch.

The Commercial Times reports that manufacturer Asustek Computer has been producing machines since the start of the month, and that Sony is set to receive a shipment of 200,000 machines by the end of July. More manufacturers are set to deliver shipments in August.

It seems highly likely that Sony would want to begin PS3 production as early as possible, in order to deal with any problems which may occur quickly. However, the company has yet to confirm or deny the Commercial Times' claims.

Sprite - They aren't in game models, just reference models. Basically the high poly build of it that they will go back to every once in a while to ensure all the proper curves and what not are in place. This is what they use to compare the in game model with the high poly reference model to ensure that they are similar.

TGS Details Revealed

It has been announced today that Sony Computer Entertainment President Ken Kutaragi will make a keynote address at this year's Tokyo Game Show, replacing Nintendo's president Satoru Iwata who had last year used the platform to highlight the until-then secret functionality offered by the Wii controller.

Kutaragi's presentation will be titled, "Next Generation Entertainment Made by the PS3" and will no doubt be the big news of TGS 2006, whether it go well, or not so well.

The show, due to take place between the 22nd and 24th of September, is seen by many as representing Sony's last chance to win over the sceptics its PlayStation 3 push to date has so easily attracted. The PS3 has been caught in a constant ****storm of some kind or another, be it price, performance, basic design, controller and the machine has been deprived of some of the more positive attention it arguably deserves.

It's also worthy of note that given the magnitude of recent Iwata TGS keynotes, a great deal is expected from Kutaragi. Final global pricing, release allocations and dates, launch line-up and more should be on offer.

The Sony man will be joined in the latter part of his time on stage by Square-Enix president Yoichi Wada, who will be assuming his secret identity of Computer Entertainment Software Association (CESA) chairman, discussing "The Game Industry's Potential and Problems".

http://spong.com/article/10427/Kutaragi+to+Keynote+TGS.+PlayStation+3+Wow-Factor+Expected?cb=90

Jedi2016
Think about it.. the average age of a gamer is surprisingly high.. somewhere around thirty (I'm thirty myself). And thirty-year-old gamers can afford the things we want.

It's all in the mindset, see? Sure, the PS3 may be more expensive than I was expecting it to be, but I don't think it's too expensive to buy.
tha_con
We're often sold out because people think we're too old for games, when in reality, we're some of the biggest spenders otu there.
Exactly.

The $600 price tag isn't going to slow us down any. I'm not even going to consider the $500 reduced version. I paid $200 for my PS2 and it's given us as a family thousands of hours of entertainment over a 4-year lifespan. That's an absolute bargain, even when you figure the cost of games into it.

So we're going to wait until Q1 2007, after the initial explosion is over and the first revision comes out and the game spread is a little wider, and some weekend we're going to go to the store and buy a PS3 and a couple extra controllers and a handful of games.

There's been much weeping and gnashing of teeth over the price point, but to the average American gaming family, anyway, that's hardly an issue. Particularly not if there is the potential to upgrade components or add RAM over the 5 or 6 year lifetime of the unit.

TVR&Ferrari_Fan
The PlayStation 3 is a bargain, and you may of heard it here first.
It's a steal if you are going to use it for both Blu-ray movies and games. It's a deal if you are just going to use it for Blu-ray movies. It's too expensive if you're going to use it for games only, unless there's a good amount of exclusive titles you want on there.

Don't forget, it'll access the internet and download and store games, movies and music. I'm sure you'll be able to make family photos like in photo shop with this thing, though nobody has said anything about this. Remember, it's a computer, not just a game console. I'm sure we'll be able to do a lot of "computer like" functions on it, too, though, I'm sure it wont replace the average home's PC.

Solid Lifters
Don't forget, it'll access the internet and download and store games, movies and music. I'm sure you'll be able to make family photos like in photo shop with this thing, though nobody has said anything about this. Remember, it's a computer, not just a game console. I'm sure we'll be able to do a lot of "computer like" functions on it, too, though, I'm sure it wont replace the average home's PC.
I, and most likely everyone who owns a decent PC, would rather do all those functions on the said PC (except for browsing the internet in the middle of a game).

And I honestly doubt you'll be able to edit photos on the PS3. And even if you could, Photoshop > Sony feature.

I do find it interesting that Sony has begun refering to the PS3 as more of a computer now than a console, making them seem much more upmarket in a "Mac" sort of way than the rather "PC" 360 and Wii. I suppose that it is indeed a sign of the times, and the realization that far older people are playing videogames at a rate larger than that of some kids.

I'm all for Sony capitalizing on this market, as it is indeed a place at which they can make some huge gains. But they also need to think of little Timmy in Topeka, Kansas who is 13, and still relies on his parents for his gamming needs. Granted, if they have the money, they will buy it, but others may not.

I'm going to agree with Duck at the PS3 is only a good deal if you will use everything, but for most of the market, they won't. It will be interesting to see things play out in the near future, as the entire market could either remain much the same, or become radically different in less than a year.

-----

BTW: Has Sony said anything yet on IBM's story about the low Cell-Processor yeilds? I think the story had said less than 30% of most batches passed standards, which had DL.TV a bit worried the other day.

...Didn't know if anyone else had herd anything from Sony on it...

Back