Ps3 NAT Type 3 vs online racing

• Thread starter sdmf
  • 34 comments
xStinkyFingers
Any of you here have Nat3 vs Nat2? I cant for the life of me get a Nat2 connection on my home network. Does this have any disadvantages with GT5P?

What do you guys think?

I have Nat Type 3 and I have definetely struggled in the past, I don't know why I don't have NAT 2, I have DMZ'ed router, opened ports and now have a wired connection still Nat 3. Got no idea why.

But yeah, I do think it has an affect.

What is your net connection? Do you have a separate modem/router? what is your current setup? I can try to help. NAT2 is much more ideal for gaming online over NAT3

hey there, here's my setup.
- dls internet
- isp provided modem (speedtouch modem)
- DLink DIR-655 gigabit router
- Ps3 hard wired (cat6) into router

I tried setting a static IP, then add to DMZ, with UPnP enabled, also tried to open up the required ports for TCP/UDP (i "think" i did this part right)

But after all that I either get the following results:
- connection ok, but still Nat type3
- Ps3 network connection test obtains IP, and internet connection, but FAILS on playstionNetwork test. But even when this fails if I go to the ps3 browser through the XMB, i can still hit webpages etc.

This is a frustrating problem, yet upon googling all over the place, it appears there are a ton of people with the same issues, some have been able to fix, some not.

Any help is super greatly appreciated.

(i also have a similar thread going on AVSforums, but so far the suggestions from those guys have not worked either).

Its what I figured, similar to my setup.

-You have to give your PS3 a static IP address.
-Put the PS3 IP address into the DMZ of the Router.
-Give your Router a static IP address.
-Put your Router IP address into the DMZ of the modem

Your current problem is that you are only putting the PS3 into the DMZ of the router, the router then goes through your modem, which is blocking the traffic and giving you a NAT3 connection. This is what I've done for my connection when I bought a new Modem and Wifi Router.

Internet-------Modem-----------------Wifi Router----------------PS3
--------------(DMZ=IP2)--------(Static IP2) (DMZ=IP1)--------(Static IP1)

Last edited:
I have Nat Type 3 and I have definetely struggled in the past, I don't know why I don't have NAT 2, I have DMZ'ed router, opened ports and now have a wired connection still Nat 3. Got no idea why.
You also have a DSL/cable modem besides the router? Most modems (especially DSL ones) also contain a router these days, so that may be causing issues. Disabling it/putting it in bridge mode should do the trick.

(I had this problem when still on DSL, modem was blocking the ports that I opened up in my router, so still no connection)

EDIT: lion-face figured out the same and can type faster. ;)

You also have a DSL/cable modem besides the router? Most modems (especially DSL ones) also contain a router these days, so that may be causing issues. Disabling it/putting it in bridge mode should do the trick.

(I had this problem when still on DSL, modem was blocking the ports that I opened up in my router, so still no connection)

Yeah well i'm running the ethernet to the router, so i'll try that. :tup :cheers:

I had the same problem for ages, no matter what I did, I was nat type 3. Eventually I changed my modem and hey presto it worked. My friend who is an ICT technician and builds and maintains networks for a living could only conclude that there was some firmware within the modem provided by the broadband company preventing the enabling of UPnP. Therefor my suggestion is get a new modem, the ones they give you free seem to be cack.

I have Thomson Speedtouch 780WL(i) and ii had nat 2 since beginning, but for about last months j have nat 3 and i don't know why. i didn't changed settings or anything like that, so can someone tell why is that and how to change it back to nat 2? tnx in advance.

As one who has had difficulty with the dreaded FTC, I have tried everything to fix it. From this recent info, it seems to point to the modems as provided by the DSL Provider as being the problem.

If that is the case, why did my set up work flawlessly for over a year as a wireless connection and then suddenly, without any changes at my end, stop working mysteriously. Hardwiring directly to the modem has no effect with regards to NAT Type or ability to connect.

Also, a couple nights ago, I thought Sony had changed something finally as I was entering races with no FTC just like the old days. I must have gotten into 12 straight races without a single FTC. Then, the next day, it was back to the 90% ratio of FTC. Also, I most often get into the first race I enter after turning on the PS3 and then fail at every attempt after that.

It just seems that if the modem was at fault, it would be a more consistant symptom :nervous:

Since Sony changed to the migrating host format, all the members of the room have to be able to connect with one another. It is the incompatibility of my settings and ability to connect with a single other player in the room that trips the FTC I think.

Either way, the problem really lies at Sony's end if you ask me. I have no problem connecting and racing in any game other than Prologue (6 other racing games).

Last edited:
Hey Lion Face, I cant find any DMZ zone settings on my modem....i;ve confirmed its the Thomson Speedtouch st516....confused even more now.

One thing to note is when I initially set everything up through my dlink router, i had to specify Dynamic IP (DHCP) within the dlink interface for the internet connection. I tired pppoe etc but then I get no outside internet connection. ARRGH!

As one who has had difficulty with the dreaded FTC, I have tried everything to fix it. From this recent info, it seems to point to the modems as provided by the DSL Provider as being the problem.
Nah, we were discussing NAT issues here. I don't think the FTC problem is related to that, since I get FTC as well and I never have NAT issues. FTC still may be a NAT issue on the other end (hoster) though, no way to tell.

This port/NAT issue crap used to be PC-only misery. Sadly, it has made it to the consoles as well. The least they could do is standardize it through PSN or something like that (so you only have to open up a set of ports once instead of for every game).

I'm this close to giving up. Im actually kind of getting grumpy about it. Trying to get online to race is a PITA. I litterally have to wait 2-3 min while I watch the "player matching" with the stupid lines all over the place.

I also tried running PS3 straight into the Modem, no luck still Nat3. The worst part of everything is I quit drinking for the month of Feb. Right now thinking that was a stupid idea.

Hey Lion Face, I cant find any DMZ zone settings on my modem....i;ve confirmed its the Thomson Speedtouch st516....confused even more now.

One thing to note is when I initially set everything up through my dlink router, i had to specify Dynamic IP (DHCP) within the dlink interface for the internet connection. I tired pppoe etc but then I get no outside internet connection. ARRGH!

I just looked up your modem manual, its confusing because they call it a 'Public IP' and its under the instruction part of the manual for 'Assign Public IP' Chapter 4.6.3, Page 71. Follow those instructions on that page, and it should setup a DMZ for your Router. The IP Address you want to put in here will be 192.168.1.20 provided you follow the rest of my instructions.

These instructions assume you have a the default settings for your Modem (which to access the settings would be 192.168.1.254) and your router (to access the settings would be 192.168.0.1)

On your router side of things.

Manual Configuration
Select Internet Setup

In the drop down box for 'Internet Connection Type' - Select 'Static IP'
Put the following numbers in the boxes..

IP Address: 192.168.1.20
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254
Primary DNS: 192.168.1.254

Everything else should be just default settings.
Save and Reboot Router, make sure you can connect to the net with these settings in place.

For your PS3 your Manual settings should be
IP Address: 192.168.0.20
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Primary DNS: 192.168.0.1

Save and Test Connection, you should be able to connect to the net with these settings.

Back in your Dlink Router settings, you have to put the PS3 IP Address in the DMZ. You will find the DMZ settings under 'Advanced' then 'Firewall Settings'.
Near the bottom of the page you will see 'DMZ Host' You want to tick the box to enable DMZ and then put in your PS3 IP address, which if you followed my instructions will be 192.168.0.20. Save settings and reboot router.

Now provided you have followed my instructions in setting up a static IP for both your Router and your PS3 and putting the IP addresses into the DMZs of the Modem and the Router, you should be able to do a Net connection test on your PS3 and have it come up NAT2, all going to plan of course :D

As for the rest of this thread. My experience with Modems over the years, I have found a few things.

-Modems from ISP's have often been flashed with custom firmware unique to the ISP, and are often quite limited and can't perform normal tasks that a store bought modem can. Often you can find the Make and model of the modem and flash original firmware onto the modem, but you do so at your own risk as you can quickly turn your modem into a brick if everything isn't compatible. If you find your modem, no matter what you do won't allow NAT2, its probably a firmware issue, and unless your keen to mess around with firmware, your probably best and easiest to pick up a new modem. My very first free modem from my ISP had all the DMZ and Port Forwarding features, and would accept the settings for them, but it wouldn't actually put them into practice, I tried flashing the firmware with the manufacturer firmware but ended up bricking my modem and buying a new one, one of the best things I had done and taught me a lot.

-Modems and Modem/Routers often have a life span of about 2 years of constantly being on. There is no real obvious sign that they are at the end of their life. The most common one is having speed issues and connection issues. They require a reboot often and never seem to perform as they had in the past, even with factory resets to them. Its an average, but, from my experience, has been consistently about 2 years from the date of purchase that the modem starts to go on the fritz and its time to buy a new one.

As for GT5Prologue....
The problem, I think, with GT5P, is since they have allowed for Host Migration, the game has become a lot more finicky about connections, and I think all players must have a good NAT2 connection to get through without trouble. But even then, if you throw a NAT3 connection into the mix and that NAT3 connection gets connected, it can cause issues for other NAT2 players. Hence the abundance of FTC's since the change. Thats just my best guess at it, as its a change by Sony/PD side of things, not the consumer side.

Hey there I apreciate the help a ton. I onl had a few spare
min today to screw around with this. I did everything you said but can't find anywhere that allows me to add the ip to the modem. Should the modem be put into bridge or keep it at dhcp ppoe ? If I get a
min tonight I will double check that

thanks again for your time. I'm sure yo have better things you could
be doing. ;)

You don't change anything to the modem (the Thompson Speedtouch ST516) the only thing you do with the modem is find the 'Assign Public IP' option in your modem menu and put your Router (Dlink DIR655) IP address in there.

Ahh I see. I just checked at it appears to be set up correctly. I will retry to see if i can ge a nat 2. I might only be able to check in the morning, but I will definatley report back.

Also I shouldn't worry about setting the modem
to be a bridge?

well, still no luck. I followed everything to a "T". Still getting Nat3.

I have no idea what could fix this. When I go to modem interface I see this:
primus

Information

Type: Generic Device
Connected To: ethport1 (Ethernet)

Addressing

Physical Address: 00:50:ba:XX:XX:XX
IP Address Assignment: Static
IP Address: 192.168.1.20

Connection Sharing

There is no game or service assigned to this device.

ON Router:
under static IP INternet connection type:
Same as above etc.
Same mac address as modem etc.

So you definitely found the "assign Public IP" option and put the Routers static IP address in there?

After setting up using my settings, you can still connect to the internet just fine yes?

And then you have put the PS3's static IP address into the Routers DMZ yes?

Both the Modem and Router have been saved and rebooted afterwards?

Have you tried turning them off and then back on again to hard reboot them?

Running out of ideas, that should have worked. Provided you have put all the static IP's into place, and then put the correct Static IP's into the DMZ's, then your PS3 should have a clear path to the internet. All I can ask is that you check and recheck that those settings are correct and the DMZ's have the right Static IP in them, its not that I doubt you, just sometimes missing a number is all that is required for it not to work. Otherwise, I'm running out of ideas, as thats how it should work I'm sorry.

No problem. I'm actually re-checking right now. I will report back. I might even attempt to clear everything at re-setup.

I'll be back ;)

One thing I find weird is in the modem settings, under "devices" I see the following:

speedtouch 192.168.1.254

Unknown-00-50-ba-0b-bd-0b 192.168.1.20 ethport1

Im sure I added the "public IP" yesterday, but when I choose that option now, here is the message on the screen I get:

Internet Service Device
Internet Not assigned and no compatible device found

One other thing, which I thought might help is I have a spare modem here from my previous ISP. Its a Speedstream 4200, I tried connecting this straight to my PC but couldnt do anything. I couldnt access any modem setup/admin page etc.

Well, I'm not giving up on this. Now Im more determined than ever to get this sorted out. I will continue my research until its fixed :).

Lion - just wanted to thank you again for your tremendous help thus far. I suppose the next step would be for you to hop on a plane, fly up to Ontario Canada and fix this for me..LOL.

HMMMM, i just re-did everything same end result.

*BUT!! Next I plugged my Ps3 directly into the modem, ran auto setup etc on the ps3 network connections and boom NAT2 instantly.

So what does this mean? well, I have no clue...LOL. Points to some setting somewhere in the router i suppose.

Yeah, unfortunately I don't have anything much to add from here on. Your close to getting it, I don't really see whats going on, but as you say, it does point to something in the router. Good luck, if you have any other questions, it would be best if you could post your current settings for each device with the question so I can see what your working with.

i have NAT3, cause i´m connected to a public router, which is not secured. But i can attend all races, sometimes i loss the connection but after reconnection its working again.

Hey lionface, one last question with regards to a setting on the DIR-655 and your instructions.

When I setup the static IP in manual internet settings, I enter the info you mentioned on the previous page...ie. 192.168.1.20 etc. What mac address do I use in the field? The mac of my router, ps3 or modem?

I have pretty much gone through everything now, even upgraded the firmware on my speedtouch modem...lOL.

I'm not very knowledgeable about routers but for my Thomson router I found these instructions on a portuguese forum and managed to get NAT2. I had tried previouly to open ports in a normal manner but it didn't work.

On your PC open a "cmd" window and execute these commands:
(192.168.1.254 is my router's IP address)

:telnet 192.168.1.254
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=3478
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=3479
:saveall
:exit

I think these forced the ports to be really open!

Latest Posts

Back