[PS3]The Last of Us

• Thread starter gtone339
  • 1,504 comments
...at the end of the day, its a guy in his mid/late 40's(?) traipsing across the country with a 14 year old girl. Its not gonna be the smoothest of things in the world...
That reminded me of Randall's observation in Clerks II about the Lord of the Rings films: "It's just a bunch of people walking...to a volcano..." :)

I loved the storyline, character acting and game in general. Nothing wrong in games aspiring to provide a proper story. Okay, that might have become hyped a bit, but none of us should be caught out by hype anymore, not really.

@Pagey279 I found the Uncharted series to be one of my all-time favorites purely because it's so damn entertaining, it's still the same basic cover-shooter idea that ND love to abuse but it's just so fun. It's story is light-hearted and captivating since it throws you for a loop pretty often, the gameplay is solid enough too, with magnificent set-pieces abundant. I dunno, I just don't really get on with TLOU's 'Muh doom and gloom' plot which is supposedly the best part.

Last edited:
...But like @Classic said it's just a bit boring, you move across the map and you come across a room of clickers. You can either kill them all or sneak past. You get out of the room and into a corridor with loads of clickers, where you can either kill them all or sneak past. You get out the building into a courtyard full of clickers, you can either kill them all or sneak past. It's repetitive, predictable and ultimately for me boring...
Ahhh, come on now, there was only one bit which was like that which was whilst climbing through the collapsed building - the other encounters were like Ellis said, different from each other (Subway/Bill's Town/University/Storm drains/Underpass...all very different.) True though, they are essentially the same idea and have the same options, but the scenarios weren't - plus there were other encounters as well, not just clickers.

But okay, that's your take on this.

Good example with the subway @MeanElf , that could be just a wade through a subway through some infected. But no, it is in fact one of the most densely back story areas in gaming. Same with the University, and the moral decisions and dilemmas you see the characters go through is incredible and really draws you into the characters.

And you can't expect a post apocalyptic world rife with struggle and desperation to be a happy place @Classic if it was, the context wouldn't fit at all and it wouldn't make any sense.

Good example with the subway @MeanElf , that could be just a wade through a subway through some infected. But no, it is in fact one of the most densely back story areas in gaming. Same with the University, and the moral decisions and dilemmas you see the characters go through is incredible and really draws you into the characters.

And you can't expect a post apocalyptic world rife with struggle and desperation to be a happy place @Classic if it was, the context wouldn't fit at all and it wouldn't make any sense.
I've played plenty of post apocalyptic games with characters who bring a bit more variety though. That's more my beef than the actual setting.

Watching characters make decisions is one the things that annoys me, this isn't a film. I should have some sort of impact on the outcome. Not that Uncharted is any better in that regard.

I'm not disputing TLOU is a good game. For me personally, however? I've played a lot better games, some even made by ND themselves. Suppose it's the curse of favoring gameplay over story.

I've played plenty of post apocalyptic games with characters who bring a bit more variety though. That's more my beef than the actual setting.

Watching characters make decisions is one the things that annoys me, this isn't a film. I should have some sort of impact on the outcome. Not that Uncharted is any better in that regard.

I'm not disputing TLOU is a good game. For me personally, however? I've played a lot better games, some even made by ND themselves. Suppose it's the curse of favoring gameplay over story.

Was just thinking about Second son and TLOU (ND vs SP in general), second son has a bit more light hearted fun gameplay which makes it more enjoyable in some parts, but TLOU is just a lot more engaging,it really is as if you are there, the world is so well created and the story so far is very well done. I see your point though and sometimes I feel the same way, but I'm in a point now that I can't wait when I am out with friends to get back and keep playing.

Sorry for the bump but stupid question here, does this game have trophies or am I missing something?
Yep, there are trophies, but not many. I think something like ten in total, so it's pretty much only awards for playthroughs difficulty levels and a few other things like collecting stuff. Essentially, you'll get your first at the end of your first playthrough.

Yep, there are trophies, but not many. I think something like ten in total, so it's pretty much only awards for playthroughs difficulty levels and a few other things like collecting stuff. Essentially, you'll get your first at the end of your first playthrough.

Oh oke thanks mate :cheers:

Just finished Playing this :drool: , an all time great. Question about the ending though

Is Joel telling the truth?

Just finished Playing this :drool: , an all time great. Question about the ending though

Is Joel telling the truth?
Nope. Joel lied about it. In order for the Fireflies to get the cure from Ellie (it mightn't have even worked), she would have died in the end. He lies, and the "okay" is meant to be ambiguous. It's quite possible that Ellie knows that Joel's lying, but chooses not to push the topic further.

Nope. Joel lied about it. In order for the Fireflies to get the cure from Ellie (it mightn't have even worked), she would have died in the end. He lies, and the "okay" is meant to be ambiguous. It's quite possible that Ellie knows that Joel's lying, but chooses not to push the topic further.

Well that makes the ending a lot more interesting, I can't decide if It was up to me would I have wanted to save the world, also even with a cure it seems impossible to cure the infected with how many of them there are, a very thought provoking ending I must say

I kind of looked at the pics but didn't. Scared of the spoilers.

There's so much story and detail from each moment it seems that any screenshot is a spoiler of some kind.

Started playing the DLC, love how it explains the only part in the story that left you wondering how it happened.

Just finished up my first play through a couple hours ago on ps4
I really enjoyed this game a ton.
Started the game on grounded mode but got stuck in the school for literally hours and had to turn it down to survivor. I'm ashamed of myself, but I really screwed up on inventory management a couple of scenes prior to that point, which made it virtually impossible to get through.
Im holding off for a bit on playing through left behind because I want to crank through infamous:first light.
When I start with left behind, I will play it on grounded then continue on into the main game on grounded aswell. Maybe I'll run through a playthrough on survivor plus first. Not sure yet if I will want to play the campaign 4 times tho.

Got the game recently on PS3. I played it on 1080i ( forced ) and it looks much better than 720p on my Samsung LCD 32", somewhat crisper, albeit only software upscale. Amazing visual and audio, and loving the story. I set the audio on DTS 5.1, small speakers and maximum dynamic range then cranked the volume to -23 dB, the sound effects are sublime.

Just got the platinum for this on PS4. Never again, worst online experience I've ever had.
I was never a fan of the online.

If the infected were online. Maybe something like when you're in the barn in single player with that guy but with a couple of people trying to survive then that would have been alright.

Tactical, slow-paced third-person-shooter. Think Uncharted or Gears of War with with no ammo and a real emphasis on stealth and staying alive. Some people hated it, I personally love it.

Could you guys elaborate on the online a bit? I've been on the fence to purchase the online pass because I bought the game second hand.

As Daniel said, the emphasis is on stealth and survival. I got the hang of it after around 10-15 games of how the clan system works. The maps are easy to navigate and aren't too complicated and there are a healthy amount of ammunition boxes but their output depends on your performance. If you're doing crap it gives you lots of stuff, if you're doing good it doesn't.
The custom weapon classes (like COD) give you around 13 points for perks and I don't feel thats enough, more than enough times I had to choose between a powerful purchasable weapon and a fourth perk.

Also you have to accumulate enough 'daily supplies' per game to keep your clan alive, if they all die, you have to start again. Which seems a good idea and realistic of keeping a clan alive during apocalyptic times but if your online skills aren't extremely good, you run the risk of it happening often. A nice little feature is that it connects to your facebook and names your clan members from your facebook friends.

Also I came across people who were somehow able to shoot me through walls and from silly distances with pistols.
And I did come across someone who placed 3 nail bombs, then 10 seconds later, placed two more and had two molotovs too. That smelt a bit funny to me.

Last edited:
The Last Of Us soundtrack vinyl releases July 22nd at $75. Box set designed by Jay Shaw and Olly Moss will contain four 180-gram LPs

video-game.jpg

Well, it has been three years since this game came out and I can still remember the emotions it elicited. I bought the game used in the fall of 2013 and absolutely loved the story and gameplay. In late 2014, I got a PS4 bundle which included GTA V and TLOU: Remastered (as a digital download) but I never tried it.

I'm strongly considering a replay on survival difficulty which, after all this time, should be a lot of fun. I'm not even sure what, if any, DLC was included in the remastered version so that would be new to me.

Back