Finished [PS4] MONDAYS: Aston Martin DBR1/300 1959 - 20:30-21:30BST - Season 2 - Champion Simbalora

Discussion in 'PCARS Racing Series' started by Sick Cylinder, Feb 10, 2017.

1. AndreasR

AndreasR

using: pCars Dash from www.pocketplayground.net
    running on pc connected by network to PS4

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    John Wells, Alex ONeill and richroo like this.
  2. Longspread

Longspread

I agree with what Paul said about the advantages of having penalties and damages on. Another effect with having penalties on is that it gives you a drive through, to serve within 3 laps, when making a jump start.

3. nonka

nonka

If your short of driver's you can put me a reserve driver but work has to come first.Thanks Max

John Wells and richroo like this.
  4. Sick Cylinder

Sick Cylinder Premium

Hi Maximusmonster (Nonka) - I have put you down for car 20 as a Reserve Driver. Note you will need to send me a friend request as I have a different name and therefore a new friends list on PS4 - send request to Sick_Cylinder2

John Wells likes this.
  5. Flaco13

Flaco13

It was great racing again. But as was pointed out before, we really Need to try to avoid any contact in PCARS. Make sure you have a possibility to look left; right and back. Set up your Buttons accordingly. There are no arrows like in GT6 which indicates an Opponent is near to you.

We must try to develop a sense for where an Opponent in our 'blind spot' is exactly, and must react to this the best way possible. I know it's not easy, in a perfect world we'd all had either triple-screen-monitors or VR Headsets to help solving that issue, but most of us have a single Screen only, me, using a G27 (CrossHair Adapter) I tried to use the small Buttons that are on the Wheel to look left and right, I was able to set this once but when I Exit the game the next time I start it the Buttons are not configured. On Monday, I couldn't look left, only right because one of the Buttons on the G27 shifter unit is set as R2 (which is what I had set as the 'look right' button).

So I had a disadvantage and I'm sorry if I caused any contact or Problems because of it. I will try out the best possible way to look left/right for the next race. And urge you all to do the same. GT6 was forgiving with contact, this game isn't! Yes, please have damage and penalties, Sick. Fuel and Tire wear would also be more realistic, you can set tire-warmers though, so the difference from colder to warm tires isn't too extreme.

6. John Wells

John Wells

I never use those arrows in GT, map my buttons too, for next race:)

Flaco13 and richroo like this.
  7. buybon355

buybon355

The arrows are great john, really takes care of spacial awareness.

I'll map my r2 and l2 buttons on the t150 for left and right. And now I know how to get the big mirror up I'm sorted for all round visibility.

8. Alex ONeill

Alex ONeill

Unfortunately you cannot turn on tire warmers. Only cars that use them in real life racing have tire warmers (GT3, Formula's, LMP's).

Flaco13 and John Wells like this.
  9. Sick Cylinder

Sick Cylinder Premium

Important - for attention of all Racers
    I have decided to run an extra Test Round (00) at Brands Hatch Indy next Monday to enable us to try out the damage and penalty settings - you will also be able to experiment with assigning buttons to look right and left and try these out in a race situation. This is our first race series on Project Cars and I would rather delay the start of championship racing by one week and get the format right for this and future series.

By using the very short Indy Track we will be able to run 5 minute qualifying sessions and complete more short races to test out different damage options.

During the extra test round several drivers will deliberately try to incur penalties and damage which we will then discuss afterwards: - I propose that those drivers be myself, @Flaco13 and @Alex ONeill

Please do not take offence from any deliberate bad driving during the extra Test Round (by those nominated drivers) - I have to learn more about this aspect of the game. I do not want to implement it if there is a high risk (as in GT6) of the innocent party being awarded the penalty or a high risk of people being disqualified from the race for no fault accidents or being unable to get back to the pits to continue the race.

Note - although switching on tyre and fuel wear may be more realistic I will not be doing this for several reasons:

There are bugs associated with using default setups with tyre wear. Some of the default setups do not have much fuel onboard so unless you add pit stops the cars can run out of fuel - their are bugs associated with using default setups with pit stops. This series is aimed at all ability levels and starting on cold tyres - based on what I have read on other threads normally results in first lap carnage. Finally - it takes many hours of testing time to check and select tracks for a series and this would be increased further if I also had to check the fuel consumption of the cars on a default fuel load - note the cars and track combinations have already been tested and selected for Monday and Wednesday series for the whole of 2017.

10. PaulBee_58

PaulBee_58

Hi Sick,
    Thought it might be worth reporting that I ran in an online event on the Hockenhiem Classic which included a mix of ai drivers too and the ai caused all manner of problems, whether it is a bug or not I'm not sure, but it may be worth bearing in mind when finalising the format.
    Regards
    Paul

Sick Cylinder, John Wells and richroo like this.
  11. Sick Cylinder

Sick Cylinder Premium

That's interesting - what level were the AI set at? We are only running them at level 50 so most people should be ahead of them. I am planning to try them at level 45 for the next test.

Personally I had no problem with the AI drivers - I found it added to the interest of the qualifying session, having to plan where to pass them, but I know a couple of you reported problems. If possible I would like to keep a few AI drivers in to fill up the grid, but if we get a full room (which hopefully we will) there will be no space for them.

John Wells likes this.
  12. PaulBee_58

PaulBee_58

It would appear that ai do not leave the pits with cold tyres and there were instances of drivers being hit from behind/side and spun out when exiting the pits or slowing in the early stages of the first lap on cold tyres. I'll see if I can find out the ai skill level setting

13. Flaco13

Flaco13

Hmmm, where did I see that though? Could it be that that is something Assetto Corsa has? Sometimes I mix those two... :D or I just never looked deeper into that, because I actually prefer the difficulty cold tires are bringing with it.

Edit: I do appreciate invitations via psn, please keep on doing so because I might join if I feel like it. However, I tend not to though, I was almost never well prepared for our online races because I'm usually simply too lazy to practice. Just wanted you to know why I might not join practice sessions or casual races during the week days. :)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    John Wells likes this.
  14. Flaco13

Flaco13

15. Sick Cylinder

Sick Cylinder Premium

Test Round 00 - Damage and Penalties Test

First apologies to everyone - I forgot to select the car and therefore appeared on track in the games default car not my chosen red 22 with white stripes.

Damage - In the first test race I rammed AlexO'Neill as hard as I could on the approach to the hairpin (much more extreme than would be likely in a real race) - my car went under his, but did not suffer any damage - maybe Alex can clarify whether his car was damaged.

In race one after failing to pick up any damage from hitting another car I drove head first, as fast as possible, into the barrier separating the pit lane from the track - the car was extensively damaged and one front wheel came off - the game gave an instruction to pit, but I ignored this - the game would not allow the car to drive faster in second gear (the engine bogged down) top speed varied between 19mph and 31mph - downhill. I was unable to reach the finish line because I was disconnected just before the race finish countdown - this appears to be 180 seconds and I disconnected with about 12 seconds left.

The second race I deliberately crashed into the pit lane dividing barrier again - the front of the car was trashed and a wheel fell off which I drove over on my way into the pits. I had no pit stop strategy, but the pit crew did not appear to add any fuel - the pit stop seemed lengthy - I lost a lap or two, but rejoined the action before the end of the five minute race.

Based on these two test races I don't anticipate any problems with running full damage.

In race three I focussed on trying to get a penalty by cutting the track - I did this repeatedly at almost every corner in both qualifying and the race, but was unable to pick up a penalty - I am not sure why! A peculiarity with the Brands Indy Track? Penalties not switched on? - that race was in a room which I didn't set up.

I also tried to get disqualified by driving briefly in the wrong direction - nothing happened except my car was auto rotated after 10 seconds. Tiger Paw was disqualified from race 1, but I am not sure why- was this for a jumped start?

Any comments / thoughts on the tests welcome.

Flaco13, Alex ONeill and John Wells like this.
  16. John Wells

John Wells

Race's were good tonight, with Buy, Flaco, Sick, getting use to the car and game:)

Unfortunately my PS4, the screen goes black for a couple of seconds, then comes on. So I hope didn't hit anyone, when running of track.

Happens with all games, so have to go to Game see whats up:grumpy:

So we are running with full damage, which shows damage?

Where you from Buy?

Flaco13, buybon355 and Sick Cylinder like this.
  17. richroo

richroo

I had lag with cars jumping up in the air plus the ai was all over the place at one point due to lag or bad driving ?
    Not that i'm any better lol bumps from me are mistakes not intendid..

18. Longspread

Longspread

Yes, i jumped started and didnt serve my drive through within 3 laps so, black flagged as result.

Time penalty for corner cuts are more easily to get in chicanes or where obvious gains been or could be made, in general. But the penalty system is not as strict as expected, i agree with that.

Thanks for the racing tonight Sick, and you others as well :-)

19. Alex ONeill

Alex ONeill

I was pretty heavily damaged after the hit at the chicane. I had 70% left on the front left suspension and on 34% left on aero. You have to hit pretty hard to loose a wheel. I managed to loose one at the end on practice or quali by intentionally ramming the wall without braking for the chicane. I tried pitting to repair the damage in race one, the repairs were made and they also changed the tires. I didn't get to drive out of the pits as the race had already ended by the time the pit stop was completed. I would have to say that a pit stop takes about 50 or so seconds so on a track with a lap time of 56 seconds you are going to be a lap down if you pit.

I didn't notice any lagging issues but the AI drives very aggressively and bumped me a few times under braking or while passing. No real damage incurred from it though.

I did find it weird that I was the only one running with 1.5 liters of fuel and everyone else was running 30 litters in every race. I'm not sure how to change that as we cannot change settings or setup in the room.

All in all I would say it was good test.

Flaco13, John Wells, richroo and 2 others like this.
  20. Sick Cylinder

Sick Cylinder Premium

Corner cuts on this track added (a lot of) time so the above makes sense.

We will normally be running 30 minute timed races - does the game give a drive through for a jumped start or is that only for lap races - either way people will need to be very careful at the start.

We will be using a standing start for this series, but may use a rolling start for some future series - at the time that Stirling Moss was racing sports cars a Le Mans style start was used with the drivers running across the track to their cars. Stirling was super fit in those days and was therefore almost always the first away - he and Fangio were probably the first two professional drivers to take physical fitness really seriously.

For race one I had reduced the level of the AI from 50 to 45 so I was very surprised by their qualifying performance which was better than the week pervious at the Brands Hatch GP circuit. They will be reduced to level 40 next week - the intention is that they should be at a level which gives the slowest drivers some company and on shorter circuits will add to the traffic to be lapped.

21. buybon355

buybon355

Was chatting with Alex and rich after the races and we were saying the damage inflicted is more in line with the force of the contact than we've been used to in gt6. You can still have light contact if you miss your braking point or whatever and not get the default red suspension damage.

Alex pointed out that although there is no penalty applied to a driver for making contact, the penalty is the damage you pick up to your car.

I'm still very much getting used to the game. Handling, physics, no abs, even the cockpit view takes some getting used to. I keep missing the apex on left handers! Nordschliefe will be challenging.

Lastly, I selected the car with the number and livery like last week, but that's not what I had to race with. Don't know I'm doing wrong

I'm from Bo'ness John

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  22. buybon355

buybon355

Double post deleted

John Wells likes this.
  23. John Wells

John Wells

My Mums from Paisley, near Glasgow, so get up a few times in the year:D

24. Alex ONeill

Alex ONeill

In times races you are dq'ed for a jump start. You can take the average lap time and figure what a 30 min race would be from that. This way people aren't dq'ed at the start.

richroo likes this.
  25. PaulBee_58

PaulBee_58

The race Stewards were on form last night..... I was run off the track at the bottom of Graham Hill Bend and spun 180 on the grass, no doubt by one of you damage seekers :lol: As I attempted to turn around and drive back toward the track I was given a 10 second penalty for driving the wrong way - on the grass :boggled: Me thinks that bit of coding was written on a Friday afternoon after a pub lunch :cheers:
    Thoroughly enjoyed the get togther again chaps

richroo, Flaco13, Longspread and 2 others like this.
  26. Flaco13

Flaco13

You wasn't the only one, I had 1.5Liters in the Tank aswell.

richroo, John Wells and Alex ONeill like this.
  27. buybon355

buybon355

How do we sort the fuel?

28. Alex ONeill

Alex ONeill

It's a glitch that comes from running default setups. Can try changing the fuel level in another room at the same track with tuning on, save it and come back into the room. It sometimes works and other times doesn't. This was one of the reasons we stopped running default setups.

John Wells and richroo like this.
  29. buybon355

buybon355

I reckon I'd be 20 seconds per lap faster round brands indy with 40 litres less fuel. Must be that.

30. Sick Cylinder

Sick Cylinder Premium

Hopefully this doesn't make much difference to lap and race times and if it does, hopefully the low fuel glitch blesses each competitor with its presence over the course of a season so that it balances out!

Note - I have switched round 1 to the Nurburgring Combined circuit (sometimes referred to as the 24H track) - this should reduce the risk of contact by spreading the cars out before they reach the old circuit. Race duration will be 2 laps with a 15 minute qualifying period.

A revised track list has been posted at the start of the thread and is repeated here:

PC Mondays 2017 Track List.jpg

Flaco13, John Wells and buybon355 like this.