PS4 or PS5? Which Version Of GT7 Are You Buying?

• Thread starter Volksauto
  • 499 comments

PS4 or PS5 - Which Version Of GT7 Are You Planning to Buy?

• PlayStation 4

Votes: 190 26.2%
  • PlayStation 5

Votes: 199 27.4%
  • Both but NOT 25th Anniversary

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • 25th Anniversary (includes PS4 and PS5)

Votes: 294 40.6%
  • Neither

Votes: 25 3.4%

• Total voters
What kind of new features would you have wanted to see?
Can I answer too? :)
I want more motorsport orientation in career - different championships with qualifications with 5-10 tracks length at 15-30 laps.
I want daily/weekly offline events like in Dirt Rally, Forza, ACC.
I don't want to grind millions to get my favorite cars.
I don't want boring driving school.
I don't want to play "catch a rabbit from 20th to 1st in 3-5 laps" events.
And I want to change tyre pressure :)

Can I answer too? :)
I want more motorsport orientation in career - different championships with qualifications with 5-10 tracks length at 15-30 laps.
I don't want to grind millions to get my favorite cars.
I don't want boring driving school.
I don't want to play "catch a rabbit from 20th to 1st in 3-5 laps" events.
And I want to change tyre pressure :)
I guess those first 2 points mat still be a reality, we don't know how the single player truly looks in this regard yet.

I don't mind the driving school personally, I just look at it as a series of challenge but I get that it isn't for everyone. Agree with the racing, chase the rabbit is a bit old hat now. But that still isn't representative of 'new features', rather just a series of things that aren't wanted, some of which are core gameplay elements of Gran Turismo, like grinding and licenses.

This is why I posed the question, because features is such a broad term, what constitutes a new feature? Something that hasn't been in the series before? Something returning from the old games? An updated existing feature? It's interesting to see interpretation of this because I see a lot of people disapponted in the lack of new features but it's difficult to ascertain what that would be. 🤔

Well, I now have a 25th Anniversary Steelbook PS5 copy on preorder, but still haven’t sourced a PS5 yet. 😬😬😬

Last edited:
I’m wondering about people in the same situation as myself, how you’re approaching this “double” release given the cross-gen business. I’ve ordered the 25th anniversary version and will subsequently get both the PS5 and PS4 version of GT7. I have both consoles.

It feels a bit stupid no matter what I’ll do. Either start with the PS4 version because it’ll be inferior and it does at least make some sense to make the PS4 to PS5 jump rather than the reverse one. However, playing the PS4 version when I have a PS5 at home also feels stupid.

These thoughts stem from the very likely assumption that we’ll get two trophy lists for GT7 and having 100 % and all platinum on GT5, GT6 and GTS I plan to keep that intact.

Last edited:
Shuffle races, track editor, b spec, forzavista mode.
Forzavista? A mode to look at the cars? Like the showroom or photomode?

Track editor and B spec, not new features really, they've featured in numerous games now. But I can see where you going, basically returning features from GT5/6?

Yes, no problem, PS4 version is compatible with PS5. Switching from PS4 to PS5 is like... It's pretty much like getting a newer, more powerful PC. You will maintain everything. Hopefully PS5 stock to sell will soon increase, because it's getting pretty ridiculous...

Yup. Playing a no-fun waiting game...
It’ll probably be mid-2023 before that happens :P
Would definitely be nice if Seasonal Events made a comeback.

I’m wondering about people in the same situation as myself, how you’re approaching this “double” release given the cross-gen business. I’ve ordered the 25th anniversary version and will subsequently get both the PS5 and PS4 version of GT7. I have both consoles.

I bought a PS5 for over the odds price on ebay last week just to end chasing the PS5 restock alerts and getting there too late, I also bought the anniversary GT7 with both versions and now I very kindly donated my PS4 to the wife and she can download GT7 and play at the same time as me... just we will be in different rooms and I will be on wheel and she can use controller :P we connected up as a test on Call of Duty last night I was on PS5 and she was on PS4 and it was perfect so PS5 or PS4 we can all connect with each other which is Awesome 👍

I bought a PS5 for over the odds price on ebay last week just to end chasing the PS5 restock alerts and getting there too late, I also bought the anniversary GT7 with both versions and now I very kindly donated my PS4 to the wife and she can download GT7 and play at the same time as me... just we will be in different rooms and I will be on wheel and she can use controller :P we connected up as a test on Call of Duty last night I was on PS5 and she was on PS4 and it was perfect so PS5 or PS4 we can all connect with each other which is Awesome 👍
Separate rooms.. wife.. really? That sounds lonely.
I’d setup my PC screen next to the tv/close to it so my wife and I could play together next to eachother if she was into the same game(s) as me.

I’d setup my PC screen next to the tv/close to it so my wife and I could play together next to eachother if she was into the same game(s) a
We already have 2 screens in the bedroom where I have my wheel set up.. but the wife's bed tv is only 32" on a bracket.. she wants to use the front room tv which is the biggest in the house haha :P She see's it well you get PS5 so I get the front room tv :lol:

Forzavista? A mode to look at the cars? Like the showroom or photomode?
A mode to open doors and look at motor under the hood. Kaz loves cars but didn't give us such feature which FM and FH have many years.
This is why I posed the question, because features is such a broad term, what constitutes a new feature? Something that hasn't been in the series before? Something returning from the old games? An updated existing feature? It's interesting to see interpretation of this because I see a lot of people disapponted in the lack of new features but it's difficult to ascertain what that would be
Yeah, something that hasn't been in the series before and redesigned old features.
And physics based on tyre pressure and temperatures of tyre zones.
New AI and new progress system, more new car classes, more motorsport.
Possibility to create custom championships for offline and for your online club to drive vs friends and/or random drivers.
Stints for online endurance races where control of car switches to another player at pitspot.
More events in Sport mode - like in iRacing, not only three like in GT Sport as current state (N***+Gr.3+Gr.4/LMP).
Spotter.

Bit concerned that GT7 might turn my base PS4 into a jet engine with the dynamic time and weather features as well as ray tracing in photo mode. Some of the GT Sport menu screens already turn my PS4 into a light plane and they don't have ray tracing (to my understanding).
Ray tracing is gpu based, so only possible on PS5.

Is this a Store error?
The $ 59,99 version is PS4 only right?

THvhIsHlV6A3x6oZzeQVNzi1.png

Is this a Store error?
The $ 59,99 version is PS4 only right?

View attachment 1116951
The cheaper version is the PS4 version, which you can also play on PS5 but doesn't have the PS5 enhancements. You can upgrade it later to the PS5 version for $10.

The $10 more expensive version has both PS4 and PS5 entitlement already.

Last edited:
The cheaper version is the PS4 version, which you can also play on PS5 but doesn't have the PS5 enhancements. You can upgrade it later to the PS5 version for $10.

The $10 more expensive version has both PS4 and PS5 entitlement already.
Thanks for clarifying. Already bought the $69,99 version for my PS5. :)

I’d setup my PC screen next to the tv/close to it so my wife and I could play together next to eachother if she was into the same game(s) as me.
My wife and I have a setup like that. Her TV is on a stand I built (I think it's a 36"), and she can pull it as close as she needs. My TV is in behind (55", for reference). This is how we game. Doubt I'll get her into GT7 too much. But I can at least pester her to look at my cars :)
20211225_143712.jpg

I just checked when you click pre-order, it still shows PS4 PS5 so either PlayStation gets a lot of disgruntled customers or they honour it.
What do you mean? It works on both consoles, just like popping a PS4 disc into your PS5.

The difference is it doesn't have the PS5 enhancements (3D audio, DualSense support, native 4K, etc). You'll need the $10 more expensive version - or pay $10 to upgrade - for that.

What do you mean? It works on both consoles, just like popping a PS4 disc into your PS5.

The difference is it doesn't have the PS5 enhancements (3D audio, DualSense support, native 4K, etc). You'll need the $10 more expensive version - or pay $10 to upgrade - for that.
They can't label it as PS5, first time I've seen that. Otherwise all compatible PS4 games on PS5 would be labelled as PS5 like that. Even Horizon Forbidden West doesn't have the PS5 label for the PS4 version which they added in PS5 entitlement. It will be interesting to see how people get on if they pre-ordered it showing as PS5. Just contacted PlayStation support via web chat and they said it is an error and they are investigating as a priority so they seem already aware of it.

Last edited:
Do we now know, what are the differences between PS4 (pro) and PS5 ingame while driving?

Both 4k and 60FPS ?

Because i dont care about replay- and scapes-differences, so my plan is to stay with my PS4 pro.

Last edited:
They can't label it as PS5, first time I've seen that. Otherwise all compatible PS4 games on PS5 would be labelled as PS5 like that.
As they should. All games should be labelled with the systems on which they work - which means PS5 labelling for all PS4 games.

The real confusion here is the more expensive item also featuring the PS4 label, when really it should just be PS5 unless Sony is including a PS4 copy of the game - which seems to be the case, and is pretty much the issue.

It serves to highlight the incredibly weird approach to both consoles this generation - but which Sony has made worse by not having a "smart delivery" equivalent or transferrable game saves. Xbox has rethought its labelling twice because it just wasn't clear that an XB1 game that worked on XBS but didn't have XBS features unless it was also an XBS game, and Microsoft doesn't have the problem Sony has of discrete PS5 games and PS4 games that work on PS5.

The PS4 box (and store listing) should say "PS4" and "PS5 Compatible" (or equivalent), while the PS5 box (and store listing) should say "PS5", or some other term that indicates it is specifically created for PS5. Any PS4/PS5 bundle should say "PS4" and whatever the specific term for a dedicated PS5 version is.

But it doesn't. They just put "PS4" and "PS5" on and let the consumer try to figure it out.

Do we now know, what are the differences between PS4 (pro) and PS5 ingame while driving?

Both 4k and 60FPS ?
Firstly, nobody knows yet. Secondly, it won't be 4K60 on PS4 Pro, because the PS4 Pro isn't capable of native 4K. It maxes out at 1800p (3200x1800), which is upscaled (but not really; it's actually called "checkerboarding") to 4K. It'll only be native 4K on PS5.

Likely to be 1080p60 on PS4, 1800p60 on PS4 Pro, and 4K60 on PS5 outside of raytracing mode.

As they should. All games should be labelled with the systems on which they work - which means PS5 labelling for all PS4 games.
All PS4 games can be played at PS5. If you see only "PS4" label so you'll get PS4 version which you can play on PS4 or PS5.
If you see "PS4 | PS5" so you'll get one PS4 version and one PS5-enhanced version in one order.
Check Horizon FW in the Store - left tile has only PS4 label, middle tile has "PS4 | PS5".

All PS4 games can be played at PS5.
Hence the final part of the line you just quoted.
If you see only "PS4" label so you'll get PS4 version which you can play on PS4 or PS5.
Which is totally fine for people who buy their own games and are super-informed. However for consumers who buy games as gifts and aren't informed (like non-gamer parents who gets games for their kids), they can easily be misled into thinking PS4 is just PS4 and PS5 is just PS5, hence literally the rest of the post explaining what the labelling should be and why.

Back