PS4 Overall Volume (Still) Too LowPS4 

• Thread starter Gr8_Lakes
  • 331 comments
In the exception of the menu single ear sound/music bug (which is irrelevant), I find AC to be absolutely brilliant on the sounds department. Each car feel distinctive and loud.
Ac is not bad, but the engine is too up front in the mix, its still has the issue in which the sound jumps to a single channel at times and the mix is far too bass heavy (which is very noticeable with a tactile system - daily drivers that would fail any NVH test)

I'll say it again, cause it gets lost in the technobabble debate... p1 sound was fine!!,,, why did they mess with it?
Any other reasonable thoughts?
P1 was fine with a TV, soundbar etc. It had a number of issues with some cars still being poor (V8 Supercar sticks in the mind) and spacial placement, panning etc. was poor.

And please don't use this thread to brag about your sound system, most of us are using a USB headset.
I use both, I will however discuss my experiences with my system. Its not bragging, its a valid part of my experience and why you don't have uniform feedback on sound for PC2.

I lost out quality wise on PC1, now others are losing out on PC2. I want it right for everyone!

I dont remember ever thinking PCARS had terrible sound not enough to vent frustration on the web. Is PCARS 2 on PC different to the console version sound wise?

We seem to be at a stage where Graphics & Physics are all getting better while Sound is left behind in the dust.
No idea on PC, I'm running on PS4 Pro.

To be fair the original was better on TV, headphones and soundbars. However spacial placement, panning, etc. wasn't great at all on the original.

It definitely seems like sound is getting left behind. At least with the PS4. I think the prevalence of soundbars and headphones has resulted in Sony just not making audio a priority. They used to be on the opposite side of this.

While games have positional audio, just observing PC2 and GTS, it’s clear they don’t exhibit a full range of sound. Namely, you don’t hear that ear splitting scream of a flat-6 when it redlines, and you don’t feel the AMG V8 when it rumbles. The sound range feels compressed. Maybe it’s because fewer people have the systems to take advantage of the audio, maybe the PS4 is just not as good at this as the PS3 was, and Xbox Ones are. I kinda want to get pcars on Xbox to test this... but I don’t want to buy the game twice. Maybe for some reason sms made the choice to do this.

If I was a headset/headphones player, I’d be annoyed, especially if I did a lot of multiplayer. As it stands, for my setup, it’s kind of above average, quality wise, compared to everything else I have.

It definitely seems like sound is getting left behind. At least with the PS4. I think the prevalence of soundbars and headphones has resulted in Sony just not making audio a priority. They used to be on the opposite side of this.

While games have positional audio, just observing PC2 and GTS, it’s clear they don’t exhibit a full range of sound. Namely, you don’t hear that ear splitting scream of a flat-6 when it redlines, and you don’t feel the AMG V8 when it rumbles. The sound range feels compressed. Maybe it’s because fewer people have the systems to take advantage of the audio, maybe the PS4 is just not as good at this as the PS3 was, and Xbox Ones are. I kinda want to get pcars on Xbox to test this... but I don’t want to buy the game twice. Maybe for some reason sms made the choice to do this.

If I was a headset/headphones player, I’d be annoyed, especially if I did a lot of multiplayer. As it stands, for my setup, it’s kind of above average, quality wise, compared to everything else I have.
Is that do do with Sony rather than the devs?

Ac is not bad, but the engine is too up front in the mix, its still has the issue in which the sound jumps to a single channel at times and the mix is far too bass heavy (which is very noticeable with a tactile system - daily drivers that would fail any NVH test)
Yes man, if we get into "technobabble" talk as yogi_bear calls it, we can definitely find some issues with it.
But I meant, on a whole, when I launch GTS/PC2/AC, AC still sounds the best, most complete, loudest and most distinctive sound of them all. At least that's my experience.

I don't agree with Scaff, I have an audiophile grade home theater with 20 driver line arrays, multiple subs, 7.2 channels, etc....

Im sorry but this game sounds like absolute garbage, the mastering is terrible. Its sounds like ass (without the low end rumble ;) On a audiophile grade system, a $1k setup from bestbuy and or headphones.

If I have to I will get out my decibel meter and measure the LFE at 16-80hz on a few different sources and submit readings.

:/

I don't agree with Scaff, I have an audiophile grade home theater with 20 driver line arrays, multiple subs, 7.2 channels, etc....

Im sorry but this game sounds like absolute garbage, the mastering is terrible. Its sounds like ass (without the low end rumble ;) On a audiophile grade system, a $1k setup from bestbuy and or headphones.

If I have to I will get out my decibel meter and measure the LFE at 16-80hz on a few different sources and submit readings.

:/
Can't agree.

Gravel and SLRE sound like garbage, on a sliding scale PC2 certainly needs work, but its far from the worst out there.

Nor am I without rumble, feeding my tactile unit (and I have freq above 120hz cut) via the LFE out to my sub via a spliter, I most certainly get rumble.

I noticed the engine audio in the BMW 320 is panned more to the left than in the centre. It wasn't like that in pCARS1 and irks me somewhat.
Also is the whine of the Porsche GT1 98 correct? I can't hear the engine at all and I'm at the point where I don't want to drive it because it sounds so bad.

It's always had that constant whistle from the turbo and I can't stand it. Not that it sounds bad just that it's distracting.

Ps4 pro, PS-22 headphones connected by USB. Volume maxed and all you can hear is my annoying voice. Dammit, this is a Porsche, it should blow my ears off, @IanBell, why are you ignoring this?
The time I have spent trying to get a decent volume level in this sim is ridiculous. I shouldn't matter if you have a dollar store headset, or an audiophiles wet dream.
Three things make a game good for me....... good graphics, good physics and good sound. I think you kinda dropped the ball on the sound part. Cmon Waterboy, You can DOOOOO IT.

SMS are fairly good when it comes to talking to customers what are they saying regarding the sound in this game?

I noticed the engine audio in the BMW 320 is panned more to the left than in the centre. It wasn't like that in pCARS1 and irks me somewhat.
Also is the whine of the Porsche GT1 98 correct? I can't hear the engine at all and I'm at the point where I don't want to drive it because it sounds so bad.

Funny you should say that i find a good few cars most of the engine noise seems to be coming from my right speaker. Will listen out for in in future see if others experience the same and il check out the 320

I tried playing Rainbow 6 with headphones and that lasted about 2 hours. What audio was always either too loud or too quiet. There were only a few adjustment levels for volume... it was terrible. Never again.

I think it has terrible sound but my point was
Rainbow 6 has amazing sound! It's the one game i wouldnt of expected in this thread.

It has a lot of positional sound, but I think the mix and quality of sounds they used is godawful. But my point was just how annoying it is to need to balance chat vs game audio on headphones.

SMS are fairly good when it comes to talking to customers what are they saying regarding the sound in this game?
This is the most frustrating part of the problem. @IanBell , or nobody at SMS for that matter, will acknowledge the issue. Very early on, there was a tiny comment in the official PCars forum that the issue would be passed on to the sound devs for investigation. No follow up, no fixes, and now the subject is being avoided like the plague.

This is the most frustrating part of the problem. @IanBell , or nobody at SMS for that matter, will acknowledge the issue. Very early on, there was a tiny comment in the official PCars forum that the issue would be passed on to the sound devs for investigation. No follow up, no fixes, and now the subject is being avoided like the plague.

I feel for those suffering from this problem. I wonder why SMS seem to go out of their way to ignore it when they are generally pretty good with such things.

As long as they don't use up even more valuable processing power cranking the audio and make, say, the AA even less effective it should be ok :lol:

I feel for those suffering from this problem. I wonder why SMS seem to go out of their way to ignore it when they are generally pretty good with such things.
Just a note to the guys wanting superior sound... uummm I can't hear half the cars. I see some wanting better stereo mix, center channel, etc... uummm I d be happy to hear my car. I really don't care if the sound comes from left, right, center.... I'd just like to hear the car

I did notice this issue is gaining traction on the official PCars 2 forum. I think the sale price of the game drew a bunch of new users, and a lot of them are confused as to why the volume is so low. Hopefully the increased attention gets the issue resolved. Feel free to contribute your concerns (respectfully) on the official forum.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?51537-Known-Volume-sound-way-to-low

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?61780-Game-is-Excellent-Sound-weakest-feature

Can't agree.

Gravel and SLRE sound like garbage, on a sliding scale PC2 certainly needs work, but its far from the worst out there.

Nor am I without rumble, feeding my tactile unit (and I have freq above 120hz cut) via the LFE out to my sub via a spliter, I most certainly get rumble.

Strange Scaff, i've got a 15inch sub capable to 10hz and I get almost nothing from PC2 and lots from every other source.

Strange Scaff, i've got a 15inch sub capable to 10hz and I get almost nothing from PC2 and lots from every other source.
Im the same although just a 10" Mordaunt Short sub. Im watching a replay right now and theirs barely a whisper coming from the sub and i have it turned up as far as possible on the sub (not on the amp though) and any other game id have the nieghbours halfway down the street at the door complaining.

I have anything below 80hz going to it so even the speakers should get some decent low end of the mids but its all highs every single speaker. For whatever reason SMS have cut out all low frequencies.

Im the same although just a 10" Mordaunt Short sub. Im watching a replay right now and theirs barely a whisper coming from the sub and i have it turned up as far as possible on the sub (not on the amp though) and any other game id have the nieghbours halfway down the street at the door. I have anything below 80hz going to it so even the speakers should get some decent low end of the mids but its all highs every single speaker.
I'm currently running a frequency analysis between PC2 and AC from 20hz upwards.

Results with video should be ready latter tonight or tomorrow.

I'm currently running a frequency analysis between PC2 and AC from 20hz upwards.

Results with video should be ready latter tonight or tomorrow.
You get tactile feedback through the games LFE setting that we dont though right? So youd need to turn that off for it to be the same as most of us?

You get tactile feedback through the games LFE setting that we dont though right? So youd need to turn that off for it to be the same as most of us?
Tactile doesn't make a noise or project sound waves in the same way a speaker does, it transfers the energy into the movement of a large magnet , which gives you the vibration, however it was switched off as to not affect the results. You also need to keep in mind that this is an analysis of the audio as my system puts it out, and my receiver, speakers, room layout, seating position, etc. are all going to be a factor in this. Its accurate for what I hear, but it will be different (to varying degrees) for other set-ups.

Video is processing right now, early take away is that PC2 does have activity below 100hz (down to the 20hz minimum the app I'm using is able to measure), but its at a lower dB than in AC, both have around 150hz as the dominant frequency, and above that the two are remarkably similar.

The lower frequency db drop for PC2 however results in that 150hz area being much more dominant overall (its a noticeable 'hump' in the frequency range, its also a much lower volume mix overall.

It does go quite a way to explaining some of the vastly different results people are getting with PC2, as the lower end is quieter to enough of a degree that TVs, etc. are simply going to lose it. I may just be lucky that my receiver and sub combo just happen to be able to 'play nicely' with this kind of mix, and with my power amp for my tactile I can set the range and volume for the tactile independently.

I will post the video up as soon as its ready.

Last edited:
Just done two races with the 911 rsr in pcars and ac and viewed the replays with my ear to the sub and AC was defo giving out quite a bit more but not as much as i was expecting. Going to try Doom now and see if the gun shots gets the missus up from her bed as to me it seems both racing titles are cutting to much of the lower freqs.

Edit: Yep the bass is shaking the house with Doom, the missus got up before i could even start the game only got the intro sounds and menu bgm before she came through yet i had been playing pcars 2 for 2 hours

Just done two races with the 911 rsr in pcars and ac and viewed the replays with my ear to the sub and AC was defo giving out quite a bit more but not as much as i was expecting. Going to try Doom now and see if the gun shots gets the missus up from her bed as to me it seems both racing titles are cutting to much of the lower freqs.

Edit: Yep the bass is shaking the house with Doom, the missus got up before i could even start the game only got the intro sounds and menu bgm before she came through yet i had been playing pcars 2 for 2 hours
Yep - racing titles do seem to just be quieter across the board and at the low end in particular (well apart from TT - that's damn loud).

Here's the video.

Back