PS4 Physics, Updates and Special EventsPS4 

• Thread starter TT92
  • 344 comments

TT92

Premium
Australia
WA
TT__777
Please bear with me as this may get a little long winded.

Long story short, I have been reinvigorated to chase the Platinum trophy on PS4 for the game. I have finished the career and all the drift and races in Special Events with Gold. BTW which excludes all the add on pack cars.

I am now slowly working through the Hot Lap events and have some questions and observations.

With the Special Events are the Physics/Tyre model changed with each update or has each event retained the original physics it was designed for? I know that Kunos are updating the tyre physics on some cars and are supposed to have all the cars done with the next big update later this month.

The reason I ask is that some events have deleted my 1.13 update setups while other older tunes the brakes don’t work. Also some events I have found nearly impossible to do while others are a breeze.

I have concentrated on the same track and worked through the cars for that track. Example: Monza 1966 GT40, Miura and Lotus 25. After knocking my brains out with the GT40 over two nights and only getting bronze I swapped back to the Lotus 25 (which I already had bronze in). It took 5 laps and I nailed the Gold, relatively easy, I thought. So I swapped to the Miura thinking it would be hard. First lap ran wide last turn. Restart, second lap same, ran wide at last turn. Restart, nailed last turn beat event Gold by nearly 2 seconds!!!! This was a genuine WTF moment. So fully pumped I hopped back in the GT40, 6 laps later still struggling to get the Bronze time.

So I then moved on to the next track, Vallelunga. Two nights with the BMW 1M stage3 in the “Meet the AC Team” event and finally nailed the Gold. So I swapped to the easy to drive McLaren MP4 12C GT3 in the Thunder event. I am down to 1:40s and I need 1:38 to even get Bronze little alone 1:35 for Gold. BTW I am using the actual Kunos suggested tune from the career event for this track. I cannot see where I can take 5secs+ out of this time. I should add that I am about the same with BMW Z4 GT3 at imola. I just can’t beat the Bronze time even using some of the well-known tuners set ups of the net.

So what gives here? I think I have demonstrated that I can drive and do know my way around these tracks. So why do I breeze some events and struggle so badly with others? What am I missing here? Or has Kunos with the updates really screwed with these events?

I would ask that before anyone answers me here they actually drive the GT40 at Monza 1966 Special event and the McLaren MP4 12C at Vallelunga.

Cheers

I have done the Mclaren MP4 at Vallelunga and remember it being very tough. I just kept going back to it cos I am a stubborn old git and refused to give up and did a 1:34,8xx to get the gold and it was done on the current tyre model about 4 weeks ago. I find its just a difficult car to keep the speed up in the hairpins and you can easily lose 2 or 3 seconds in those. The BMW Z4 GT3 at Imola is another tough nut to crack. So far I have only managed mid 1:45's and the Alien AI only manage 1:46's if I remember correctly. I am not sure I can find another 0.5 secs. I think HavanaBob did it on the latest tyre model and he has a video posted on ac-leaderboard.com but he is on Xbox and I am not convinced that PC/PS4/Xbox are identical for lap times.

Several hotlap special events got updated times a little while ago on console (F40 S3 at Mugello sticks in my mind), but nothing since...

Adjustments have been made on the PC side of the game recently but who knows when that will get implemented in the console version, maybe in he next update if it hasn't been forgotten?

Difficult has been all over the place since day 1 on console anyway, I seem to remember that it has been stated difficult events can be made easier but the easy ones can't be made harder!

Thanks Flavus and graveltrap for the quick responses. So it is just not me then. I have always been under the impression that events like these must be passable by at least 90% of the community playing them. It would appear that Kunos has slimmed this down to such an insignificant percentage that they are just unattainable for all bar a few, very rare individuals.

So we now come to the question of, are there any tricks or cheats for those (me?) that don't get there there without help?

I have been running all assists <OFF> except ABS <ON> or <Factory> depending on year, Tyre Wear and Fuel Usage <ON> and damage at <100%>

So does anyone have any comments whether or not the physics are the same or different from the current model in these events? To be honest I am quite confused and to me they appear to be at different values.

One update last novemberish changed the tyre models on some cars and the rest will be brought up to the same tyre model when the PS4 gets the long awaited 1.14 update, hopefully this year sometime . I remember that my laptimes in the ferrari Gt2 and mclaren Gt3 650s were approx 2 secs slower than the previous versions so maybe they forgot to change some of the events to match. My rule of thumb is that if the AI on Alien cannot beat it then it is not possible for me either. AI do 1:34's during races at Vallelunga so keep trying as it is possible. There are no tricks I know off for that one, my settings were the same as yours, just trail brake into the corners and be as smoothe as possible when turning and accelerating. Keep TC off as it only slows you down.

I have 1M, 12c and Z4 gold on PS4, all on current tyre model... so all are doable. I'll pm you settings when I get chance (might have saved replays for some as well).

IIRC, trick with Z4 was using lots of kerb to carry the speed. 12c was tyre pressures to stop rear left overheating. 1M was just getting the lines right and chipping the 10ths off!

I've spent a bit of time in the GT40, but can't get anywhere near the gold time. Car just doesn't have any front end grip (though positive toe seems to help it for some reason).

I think I have 5 left now.

I do all mine with fuel, tyre wear and damage off. ABS on and use TC where needed.

After the (most recent?) update some gold times are very easy to achieve and others became impossible.
Recently I did the 1M/Vallelunga and GT40/Monza66. See also AC-Leaderboard.com
Indeed Miura/Monza66 easy 1:49 and gold is 1:51
Normally I end in the middle of the pack so my guess is it would be easily possible for you too

MP4/Vallelunga just bronze with the old 1.11 and about three months ago when I just started with Assetto Corsa. Will give this one another try somewhere this week.

Z4/Imola is still frustrating :irked:

Also TC off*, ABS on (if applicable). Manual shifting with paddles or H shifter as realistic as possbile with the car. Assists off and e.g. tire wear on, blankets on, fuel consumption on.

* some cars just need TC on otherwise you cannot drive them with a certain speed

I have always been under the impression that events like these must be passable by at least 90% of the community playing them. It would appear that Kunos has slimmed this down to such an insignificant percentage that they are just unattainable for all bar a few, very rare individuals.

I don't think events at Gold level should be passed by 90 of the community. If so, it is "below average" event. To me, "easy" = passed by 90%, "medium" (Bronze level) = passed by 50%, "hard" (Silver level) = passed by 10%, "alien" (Gold)= passed by 1%. That makes more sense. If 90% can pass aliens, alien would then be too easy.

Also, based on your lap times, you are a lot faster than average. I would say you are in the semi-alien category with Pinky Girl being the alien. "Immortal" from GT6 is probably one of the best among many aliens.

In my opinion, "Gold" level should be set as the average lap times that real race drivers achieve in real life.

I also have a question to all. How much better lap times would a better tune give? Can anyone beat many events with "stock" settings (which is what I always use) and I can only get Bronze :(

I also have a question to all. How much better lap times would a better tune give? Can anyone beat many events with "stock" settings (which is what I always use) and I can only get Bronze :(
Often indeed bronze with stock setup. Then some setup changes and the source is often HavanaBob (see his youtube channel or AC leaderboard) or I just google for a PC setup and do some additional changes. Then after a lot of practicing, blood, sweat and tears (of frustration and/or joy) the gold medal is often the end result.

IMHO the Gold times should be achievable with the stock tune.

I find a good tune will give you 1-2 seconds per lap on most circuits. Where they are most advantageous is in giving you consistency and makes the car easier to drive.

On a side note I did the Toyota GT86 event at Magione last night. After knocking my brains out with the Fiat Abarth 500 for ages (just missing it by 0.3secs) I nailed it. I then swapped to the GT86 with a stock tune. I had never driven this car before and nailed Silver first lap and missed the Gold by only 0.15 secs!!! So I took some fuel out, gave it some negative toe on the front and nailed it 2 laps later! That was ridiculously easy!

I then tried the SLS GT3 and Lotus 25 at Zandvoort and both cars I am 5 secs off Gold and 2 off Bronze. Bearing in mind I did the Ruf event only last week and after some hard work got the Gold, so I can drive the track.

So my opinion still stands. These times are all over the place.

@TT92 , I agree with you that the "gold" standard is set very randomly in many events. One good example I have is Nissan GTR (normal car) black and white event in Nurburgring, I can beat the alien one on one with some effort but in the Gorilla vs. all with the Nissan GTR GT3, I struggle even with "medium" settings. The AIs are so much more aggressive, cut corners, and punch me out of the track intentionally. My time isn't that far off from the top medium AI.

Where can I find good tunes? I would like to try them. Could you please share with me all the ones that you use for special events. I would buy you a bear :)

The 12C GT3 event is a tough one, I have done it on both my Xbox and when I was over at my brothers house on his PS4 using the setup I used on my Xbox. This was before the latest tire model if I remember correctly which did make the GT3s a bit faster. The GT40 event I have yet to Gold, been within less than a tenth of the gold time several times, but I'm am going to hold off on another attempt until the next patch comes out. Some events I can do first lap no problem, others require some practice...It's not perfect, but if you could get gold on them first clean lap every time what would be the point.

@TT92 , I agree with you that the "gold" standard is set very randomly in many events. One good example I have is Nissan GTR (normal car) black and white event in Nurburgring, I can beat the alien one on one with some effort but in the Gorilla vs. all with the Nissan GTR GT3, I struggle even with "medium" settings. The AIs are so much more aggressive, cut corners, and punch me out of the track intentionally. My time isn't that far off from the top medium AI.

Where can I find good tunes? I would like to try them. Could you please share with me all the ones that you use for special events. I would buy you a bear :)

The best tunes I have tried are Zakspeed's here https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/zakspeed_tv-setups-1-13-1-03.350313/ I have adjusted gearing on some cars for different tracks but I find these are very close to ideal for me and my driving style

The 12C GT3 event is a tough one, I have done it on both my Xbox and when I was over at my brothers house on his PS4 using the setup I used on my Xbox. This was before the latest tire model if I remember correctly which did make the GT3s a bit faster. The GT40 event I have yet to Gold, been within less than a tenth of the gold time several times, but I'm am going to hold off on another attempt until the next patch comes out. Some events I can do first lap no problem, others require some practice...It's not perfect, but if you could get gold on them first clean lap every time what would be the point.

Well it is good see that others are struggling with the same events that I am. While I do agree these events should not be easy but when I see that I am 5 seconds off a gold time and I have just done a good lap I get a little despondent ;-)

The only person I know that has done all these with Gold is WhoosierGirl so a further blow to my ego ;-)

So are you expecting kunos to patch these events in a future update and why do you think it would be the next one? Hence my opinion in my OP that I feel these events use old tyre models and physics.

I don't expect them to patch the times, but they have said all the cars will be on the latest tire model in the next patch. Not sure if that will make the cars faster or slower, bet it will slow some down and make others quicker. Don't know what effect it will have on the GT40 if any (it may already be on tire model 10 for all I know) but since I plan on making a video of the gold medal lap I don't see the point in doing it now with the patch just around the corner.

I don't expect them to patch the times, but they have said all the cars will be on the latest tire model in the next patch. Not sure if that will make the cars faster or slower, bet it will slow some down and make others quicker. Don't know what effect it will have on the GT40 if any (it may already be on tire model 10 for all I know) but since I plan on making a video of the gold medal lap I don't see the point in doing it now with the patch just around the corner.

This is why I am trying to knock the special events over now before patch 1.14 hits just in case they make the cars slower.

Re: GT40 at Monza 66 I am just outside the silver time at the moment and there is something I want to try. I am using paddle shifter and auto clutch and feel this is costing time so I want to try "H" shifter and clutch. ABS <ON> did help to make the car a lot more stable into corners. I also seem to lose most of my time at the last turn onto the start/finish straight. Someone has dumped a sump full of oil there I think ;-)

H shifter should help you out, gear changes are much slower than what you can do yourself. I always run with factory assists, the only real trouble spot for me is turn one, way too easy to scrub off speed and lose half a second or more.

Here is some info on the tires might help out
[ks_ford_gt40_vintage_v]
IDEAL_PRESSURE_F=37
IDEAL_PRESSURE_R=37
MAX_OPTIMAL_TEMP=80
MIN_OPTIMAL_TEMP=40

From the PC so keep that in mind, but I find it is normally accurate...maybe it is just a placebo effect haha

H shifter should help you out, gear changes are much slower than what you can do yourself. I always run with factory assists, the only real trouble spot for me is turn one, way too easy to scrub off speed and lose half a second or more.

Here is some info on the tires might help out
[ks_ford_gt40_vintage_v]
IDEAL_PRESSURE_F=37
IDEAL_PRESSURE_R=37
MAX_OPTIMAL_TEMP=80
MIN_OPTIMAL_TEMP=40

From the PC so keep that in mind, but I find it is normally accurate...maybe it is just a placebo effect haha

Thanks for that. I have downloaded the complete list from (???) and have found it must be a very early tyre model because a lot of the time the pressures on PS4 don't even get that high and if I do use max pressure the car slides too much and they lose heat too quick. I will be on in a few hours and will give your suggestion a go.

I am reasonably happy with my turn one. I have found hitting it flat out in 5th, dab the brakes and just as it is starting to slide off the track, down change to 4th and hit gas so the back squats down, bites and turns the car in.

I am also running RHS tyre pressures lower to help keep the temps up.

Well all this talk about the GT40 made me want to drive it again, 1:35.110 so far...few tweaks to the setup but not much.

Limiter:115
Brake Bias: 65
Fuel: 10 (2 laps)
Final Ratio: 4.22
Pressures: 28 front left/32 front right/29 rear left/31 rear right
Camber:-1.4 Front/-0.9 Rear
Toe:0 Front/27 Rear
Anti Roll bar: 5
Dampers: stock values

Got it!
Had more time in it but took a conservative approach to the last corner.
Time.png

Assetto Corsa.jpg Assetto Corsa_5.jpg Assetto Corsa_8.jpg Assetto Corsa_10.jpg

My Youtube browser history showed 15 (!!) GT40 @monza 66 results. So I was well prepared....Cannot find the one with the setup, therefor uploaded my setup for the <1:35 time. Yes this one took me quite some time and almost a broken wrist to achieve.

Hey guys, I'm not trying to stick my PC playing nose in your biz, but I think I can impart some wisdom on some of the issues mentioned in this thread.

I know on the PC side of things we would go through the same exact thing that you guys are experiencing. Tire Model and/or Physics changes and all of a sudden those Careen Mode & Special Events times are no longer properly aligned they originally were. For some reason, it always goes in the "they're more difficult now" direction and never the other way. :lol: Occasionally, some people would gripe about it and then after a while we'd get a confirmation from a Dev that they'd look into it and make adjustments in due time. So, my only advice is to keep asking for the Career & Special Event times to be re-adjusted over on the official forums. If you do it politely, they have no choice but to respond and acknowledge that something must be done on the console side.

V10 Tires -- Yup, you guys will finally have all ~155 cars on v10 rubber. Not only that, but they physics are going to probably feel a bit different because they also adjusted the inertia values of all cars. (GROAN!) I know...but trust me, I'm not a great racer or the fastest hot lapper, but I promise you the cars feel better - more natural after the update. I'm catching slides that I 100% would have lost before the new TM10 & Inertia updates. The first few days some of you might think "they felt better before..." but keep an open mind, you'll see what I mean - there is better communication between the car's inertia and the grip of the car's tires which you'll "feel" while driving.

"Optimum Pressure" -- Yes, there is a parameter called PRESSURE_IDEAL= for all front and rear tires & every different compound. The same car will most likely have a different PRESSURE_IDEAL= for Semislick Tires compared to Street Tires, or Medium Slicks compare to Super Soft Slicks. I'd be more than happy to look up some for you guys... However, don't think that if PRESSURE_IDEAL= 26psi that means if you can get the pressure to 26psi that you're going to get peak performance from the tire. You may, but that's only if you also have the Tire Temperature in it's ideal range (will be Green on the Tire App). Tire Temperature & Tire Pressure have a symbiotic relationship when it comes to peak performance from your tire. If you're driving on a really cold track and you can't seem to push the car to it's limit you're not going to get the same performance as when you're driving on a hot track and pushing the car hard. I know you're all thinking "No crap ALB..." but sometimes people get all caught up on that term PRESSURE_IDEAL and I don't want you guys to make that mistake. It's a great target to shoot for, but there are many more factors than just getting the tires to a proper pressure.

Dammit...There was one other thing I wanted to talk about, but now I can't remember. Oh well...I hope I didn't just waste anyone's time. Good luck my console cousins. 👍 :cheers:

Just nailed the GT40 Gold Time :-) So big thanks to HavanaB0B for giving me the inspiration to knuckle down and get it.

View attachment 639115

I will reiterate, this should not be this hard. I have been stuck at +0.15secs for about 2 hours and this event has taken 3 nights to do so probably about 10 hours all up :-(

Congrats!!

I always like the ones that take a lot of effort... makes the final achievement all the more rewarding :)

Back