PS4K - Revealed Alongside PS4 Slim as PS4 Pro - General DiscussionPS4 

• Thread starter Eh Team
  • 523 comments
Wat a great scheme no, selling 40 million 'new' but under powered consoles because most people don't have a clue about the internals anyway, then release an upgraded version and market VR to shift a couple of million sales again 3 years later.

IMO it's the consumers own fault for not realizing this and buying the new goodies regardless. And they will pull it off in some extend. Same with MS.

I expect nothing of people. What i'm saying is that it would have been good if people had informed themselves better once the PS4 launched 3 years ago. It was already known then that it would struggle with the specs it had.

Just to clarify, are you saying it was obvious at the PS4's launch that they would be releasing an upgraded version 3 years later?

Future proof to what - VR you mean?
Games in general. Like i said the specs at launch weren't really impressive or future proof on both consoles compared to their predecessors when they launched. If i recall right here were a lot of reviewers pointing that out back in 2013 already.

Future proof to what - VR you mean?
To the future man! I think what @mister dog is saying, is that looking at the specs of both consoles at release it was obvious that there was not a lot of headroom in them both. Meaning they would both struggle if the gaming landscape changed, which it has and hence why both have given a significant mid generation boost to their hardware.

Games in general. Like i said the specs at launch weren't really impressive or future proof on both consoles compared to their predecessors when they launched. If i recall right here were a lot of reviewers pointing that out back in 2013 already.

To the future man! I think what @mister dog is saying, is that looking at the specs of both consoles at release it was obvious that there was not a lot of headroom in them both. Meaning they would both struggle if the gaming landscape changed, which it has and hence why both have given a significant mid generation boost to their hardware.

Ok - so it was obvious the PS4 wasn't beefy at launch, but not necessarily obvious this would lead to a console upgrade just 3 years later, I think I get that.

But what were consumers at fault for? I don't follow that, sorry.

Ok - so it was obvious the PS4 wasn't beefy at launch, but not necessarily obvious this would lead to a console upgrade just 3 years later, I think I get that.

But what were consumers at fault for? I don't follow that, sorry.
I didn't say they were.

Apologies if me being dumb is difficult but not following your post the first time round is why I asked..........

I don't really see why consumers would be to blame for buying into the PS4, unless it's specs meant it was obvious (or at least expected) there was going to be a mid-generation upgrade. I thought that's what you were saying originally, but you said you weren't, hence I'm not following...........

If you already know that your specs are struggling to cope with the newest games back when these consoles were released, it would have been a bit silly not to foresee them lasting only a fraction of previous console generations.

So yes in this way you could have expected either a mid generation update, or a new console all together (but both Sony and MS would have gotten a lot of heat for that so they opted for the first solution).

So whats gonna happen now with PS4 owners that are tempted to buy the 'pro', is that they will have payed double the money (800 bucks) for the same time frame that their PS3's lasted.

That already buys you a proper gaming PC
hide.gif

(800 bucks) for the same time frame that their PS3's lasted.

That already buys you a proper gaming PC
hide.gif

I'd love to know where you could get a proper gaming pc for 800 bucks. When I've been tempted by the dark side :P and looked at putting one together it cost that just for a high end GPU .... and I'd want two of them if I go that route. Effectively I'll have a PS4 and and PS4 pro for less than the cost of a GPU.

I find it funny how people say the original PS4 had low specs that weren't up to the task, yet games such as Uncharted 4 are among the best looking games out. Leave it to PC "hardcore gamers" to focus purely on specs, and disregard the actual games. That really is the key difference between console players and the "hardcore" PC gamers. The actual games are what matters to us. Not the specs.

Optimization is a wonderful thing that sadly seems to be near nonexistent on PC, and with the ongoing business model, that'll potentially be the case for consoles too.

I'd love to know where you could get a proper gaming pc for 800 bucks. When I've been tempted by the dark side :P and looked at putting one together it cost that just for a high end GPU .... and I'd want two of them if I go that route. Effectively I'll have a PS4 and and PS4 pro for less than the cost of a GPU.
The higher the tier, the less performance scales with the cost. You pay a premium for that extra little bit of performance at the top. For instance, the new Pascal-based Titan X might give you a couple percent performance boost over the GTX 1080, but it'l cost you a couple hundred percent more.

Nowadays, a $200 graphics card is really all you need to have an excellent PC gaming experience. That goes for CPUs as well.

That being said, I think it's a slight fallacy on @mister dog's part to suggest that people who bought PS4 at launch then upgrade to the Pro will have spent a net $800. Chances are good that people will be selling their base PS4s to buy the Pro, meaning you can subtract maybe $150-200 from that $800.

Also, didn't Sony unlock the seventh core for developers to use back at the end of last year? Given game development cycles, I'd say that will be useful to those busy making games yet to come out.

I find it funny how people say the original PS4 had low specs that weren't up to the task, yet games such as Uncharted 4 are among the best looking games out. Leave it to PC "hardcore gamers" to focus purely on specs, and disregard the actual games. That really is the key difference between console players and the "hardcore" PC gamers. The actual games are what matters to us. Not the specs.

Optimization is a wonderful thing that sadly seems to be near nonexistent on PC, and with the ongoing business model, that'll potentially be the case for consoles too.
Think Consoles as IPhone and PC as Android.

The former despite the seemingly lower relative spec it runs apps and games the smoothest. The latter has an advantage on customisation (read: mod) but takes a bigger specs than consoles to run games as smooth as consoles.

Except the price though which in this case is flipped.

The higher the tier, the less performance scales with the cost. You pay a premium for that extra little bit of performance at the top. For instance, the new Pascal-based Titan X might give you a couple percent performance boost over the GTX 1080, but it'l cost you a couple hundred percent more.

Nowadays, a $200 graphics card is really all you need to have an excellent PC gaming experience. That goes for CPUs as well.

That being said, I think it's a slight fallacy on @mister dog's part to suggest that people who bought PS4 at launch then upgrade to the Pro will have spent a net $800. Chances are good that people will be selling their base PS4s to buy the Pro, meaning you can subtract maybe $150-200 from that $800.

True, but if I was putting one together I would be putting in the best of everything to futureproof it as much as possible (and just because I'd want it to be the best it could be lol)

After much consideration I won't be getting rid of my old PS4 and HD tv, I'll instead be making myself a dedicated driving games rig seeing as I can make room for one, so his pricing is apt for me

The former despite the seemingly lower relative spec it runs apps and games the smoothest. The latter has an advantage on customisation (read: mod) but takes a bigger specs than consoles to run games as smooth as consoles.

Not sure I approve of that analogy :lol:
Not very fond of Apple myself, and I'll never get an IPhone.

Also, didn't Sony unlock the seventh core for developers to use back at the end of last year? Given game development cycles, I'd say that will be useful to those busy making games yet to come out.
Yes I remember seeing something like that, hopefully the extra core combined with the slightly increased CPU power and substantial GPU power increase will mean that the Pro is worth the money without needing a high-end 4K TV. I imagine Horizon: Zero Dawn will be making use of the 7th core especially with it being an exclusive, considering how good it looks upscaled slightly to 4K it should be pretty spectacular with boosted settings at 1080p.

iPhones tend to have highest end specs and iOS is better too, probably won't be until next year before there is an Android phone as powerful as the iPhone 7.

This gen PlayStation is budget console that needs to make a profit, not heavily subsidised and high cost like PS3 was at launch so got two levels of hardware this time around. I think they've done it in a good way as it keeps it affordable for most. It's a bit like budget phones getting better and better as technology gets cheaper.

Now get similar TFLOPS as a GTX 1060. 1TB is a good inclusion too. I can see it appealing to a lot of current PS4 owners as it replaces last years 1TB standard model but with a lot more performance for the same price giving a very good gaming PC level performance for the masses. I rather have that than the same old performance without much of a discount just to upgrade to higher capacity model like the 1TB Slim seems to be at the moment. Can also use old console still to play the same games or sell it to offset the cost a bit.

:lol: The Final Fantasy limited edition PS4 Slim has a glossy top! Why couldn't the standard Slim & Pro console be like that!

The Xbots are on the defense. Pretty obvious the PS5 is probably around the corner in 2018 I suspect.
Or MS realise that they are ahead in the game at the moment and are trying to make hay while the sun shines ;)

You are aware we are a multi platform site and that terms like 'Xbots' are not only incredibly lazy but also frowned upon?

The Xbots are on the defense. Pretty obvious the PS5 is probably around the corner in 2018 I suspect.

Not only aren't you making an argument that can in no way be taken seriously by resorting to such a silly word as "xbot," I always find these turns of events hilarious. And what does the PS5 have to do with anything?

MS are pointing out (and capitalizing on) a very real flaw in the PS4 Pro's marketing strategy. You know, the same thing Sony did to them during the whole lead-up to launch?

Back