Ps5 pro rumor

• Thread starter Jtheripper
  • 56 comments
That's not something for which to pay hundreds of pounds, at least to me. I honestly don't care one bit about ray tracing.
If there's nothing that significantly improves gameplay then it's an easy pass for me, and I can invest the money in a Steam Deck or Switch 2 instead.
I'm in. The PS4Pro last gen gave a nice boost to a bit of everything across the board and I expect the same here.

I'm especially interested in Sony's hardware machine learning DLSS like solution and its implications for VR / GT7.

Personally I thought the last 'mid generation upgrade' was inessential for PS4 - nice if you had a 4k TV - but pretty transformative for Xbox because it took the Xbox One from a really disappointing console that struggled quite a lot compared to the PS4, to the best console on the market with the One X. I struggle to see how that's going to be replicated here yet, or even needs to be. I'd imagine the changes would be subtler, and more quality of life like bigger storage etc?

I'd imagine the changes would be subtler, and more quality of life like bigger storage etc?
With how slow the PS5 currently performs again (and just current and not so current games) I do see how a Pro is already on the table.
And to me this is all for the wrong reason, yet stupid as I am a am feeding into it by getting it as soon as possible.
Long gone are the times of the instant loading Ratchet and Klank 🙄

Meh. Don't care one iota about ray-tracing. To be honest don't care about upgrading the graphics at all, they are fine as they are this gen.

I'd rather have worse graphics if it meant we could have more cars on track, a higher framerate, better AI - you know, things that would make the racing better.

Last edited:
Meh. Don't care one iota about ray-tracing. To be honest don't care about upgrading the graphics at all, they are fine as they are this gen.

I'd rather have worse graphics if it meant we could have more cars on track, a higher framerate, better AI - you know, things that would make the racing better.
Graphical realism is a very important part of Gran Turismo's success - with GT7 likely being one of the showcase titles for the system.

We already have 120fps but at extremely poor resolutions, we will only get more cars on track with more console horsepower, and in-game AI will be heavily influenced by new tech and AI software.

I’d rather this than the rumour of the PS6 coming out in the next couple of years, that’s for sure. And much as I’d begrudge it I’d probably buy one if it was a big difference, and stick happily with my OG version if it’s not. Easy. I never bothered with a PS4 Pro but did with the Xbox One X, because I felt that was a much bigger leap from the original XB1, which let’s face it wasn’t very good.

This seems to be legit PS5 Pro specs and details.

To summarise:

33.5 TF
2x-4x better RT
PSSR AI upscaling similar to DLSS

God I don't want more fake upscaley crap. Most games on PC look like they've been rubbed in vaseline because of that and TAA. Dreadful technology, I don't want it leaking more onto console. Makes an excuse for devs not to optimise so the game can both look worse and run worse.

Last edited:
God I don't want more fake upscaley crap. Most games on PC look like they've been rubbed in vaseline because of that and TAA. Dreadful technology, I don't want it leaking more onto console. Makes an excuse for devs not to optimise so the game can both look worse and run worse.
DLSS (and what I imagine PSSR, if real, would be), does better work than “traditional” upscaling methods because they have actual hardware built into the console/GPU dedicated to the upscaling that can offer up a cleaner, better image. With DLSS 2 onwards on PC, supported games in most cases can look even better than native resolution at times.

DLSS-esque tech in a console is a holy grail in a sense. You kind of get “free” performance + room to push graphics more, without losing much in the way of detail and clarity.

If they can get it at least 80-85% as clear as DLSS 2+, it’ll be a good time. Trust me. This stuff, when they get it right, is gonna really push out the envelope.

If you want to see how good AI upscaling can look, check out Cyberpunk 2077 running DLSS 3.5 running at Overdrive graphics, with Ray Reconstruction. I doubt Sony will get something like Ray Reconstruction running as well as NVIDIA on their first try, but that’s how good this can get (and it will be pushed further in future).

TAA and other traditional, software ups alerts can leave artefacts. Indeed, DLSS can too, but overall it’s cleaner than almost any software upscaler in terms of the detail retained in the image, and the clarity is pretty good, as well.

You’re not wrong that some devs rely on upscalers to recoup lost performance if their game isn’t all that well optimised, but the benefit when you want to push the envelope is well worth it - and overall, I’d say it’s worth it. And in a well optimised game, you can get more frames, without too much detail loss, so in that case it’s also worth it, in my opinion.

Last edited:
PS5 Pro specs are real.

Releases Holiday 2024.

1st Party have had dev kits since September 2023.

Speculation on my part, but should mean the following is possible in *GT7:

4k (Native or PSSR), 60FPS, Full RT during gameplay.

1440p (Native or PSSR), 120FPS, No RT.

PSVR2 resolution (Native or PSSR) without need for reprojection.

Maybe some form of super-sampling which works well for VR to further improve sharpness.

*We will have to see if PD releases a PS5/Pro SKU of GT7 that takes further advantage of the hardware.

Last edited:
All i hope is they better keep the choice of 60fps on the standard ps5, sigh..
They almost certainly will. GT has targeted 60 FPS since GT3. They’d get enormous backlash for cutting the framerate on the standard PS5. There shouldn’t be anything graphics wise that cause issues with crossplay I wouldn’t think, so I think it’s a safe bet they’ll keep the 60 FPS option.

Oh wow ray tracing performance that ranges anywhere from 2 times as good all up to 4 times as good from its current measurement of "putrid."

That will be, what, in line with what nVidia was doing before Covid?

Most games on PC use AMD's terrible upscaling setup (until fans mod DLSS into it). If Sony has actually developed their own proprietary AI upscaling, assuming developers actually care to use it and not just stick to FSR with a higher base resolution or lean on it to be even lazier with optimization, it could be substantially better looking than the smeary mess FSR2 games usually are. An actual dedicated hardware-based solution for upscaling is the actual important part of the PS5 Pro and really always was because otherwise going from a 6700 non-XT equivalent to what seems like a theoretical "7800 GRE" equivalent is basically a rounding error otherwise if developers tried to increase resolutions with it.

Last edited:
My issue with all the “next gen” consoles (and gpu’s on the PC) side is that all they focus on is graphics. Gameplay is pretty still the same since the Saturn and PS1. If they can’t use the extra power to actually make racing games where the AI is actually intelligent then I’m really not interested in prettier graphics on top of the same dumb racing AI

All if the extra power means better graphics then again I have no interest if there isn’t a SSD/HD that is a reasonable size from the start. This crap of having to shuffle games installed because of bloated graphics taking up most of the drive space. Rant over

with GT7 likely being one of the showcase titles for the system.
GT 7 as a graphic showcase?
Not even in Photomode.
Raytracing there is bad, and dont even begin with texture quality and the guys next to the track looking all the same.

same dumb racing AI
Racing AI doesnt require much power. It requires dedication to implement and to keep up to date.

GT 7 as a graphic showcase?
Not even in Photomode.
Raytracing there is bad, and dont even begin with texture quality and the guys next to the track looking all the same.

I can't think of a better looking racing game than GT7? Granted I only play on console but still it looks amazing to me and amazes me every time I go back to play it after a few weeks off.

I can't think of a better looking racing game than GT7? Granted I only play on console but still it looks amazing to me and amazes me every time I go back to play it after a few weeks off.
Why limit yourself to just racing games for a graphical showcase?

My i3 12100F after reading the specs: I'll make you a proposition, don't replace me with that i5 you have been ogling. Instead, invest on a RTX 4070 (or RX 7800 XT) and I will carry it for you, deal?

Me: Hmmm....

Gameplay is pretty still the same since the Saturn and PS1.
Not just for racing games: AAA gaming in general peaked a decade ago or so. Major publishers can't seem to churn out leading titles without major problems these days and gameplay is just rehash after rehash. At the same time, AA and indie devs are releasing one innovative title after another. Titles that are smaller in scale/scope/concept, but just work on release and focus on entertaining gameplay rather than milking customers.

Putting this here because I suspect it's captured from a Pro (or a similarly configured PC). Supposedly real-time game engine footage (UE5), releasing next year.

Putting this here because I suspect it's captured from a Pro (or a similarly configured PC). Supposedly real-time game engine footage (UE5), releasing next year.
While that looks really awesome, its all cinematic scenes, not actual gameplay which allows for the freedom of improved detail that I dont see would require a Pro.

As a sidenode, the Matrix UE5 demo also looked astonishing on the current PS5 model.

To me, they are focusing on upgrading the shallowest parts, gpu and especially rt.

I would hope they add more memory, or ideally, for cost and ease of customizing, have added a slot for ram, like on pc.

Wouldn't cost much, plus each player could decide if they like ports from pc of big building/management/strategy games, and add 16g of ddr4 or 5 for a very cheap price now.

The instant streaming from ssd is a bit fantasy it seems. Even ddr4 is maybe 5 times faster than ps5 ssd. Cost very little, it would help for many things too, in game replays etc.

It is a major problem for those ports on ps5, lack of ram, memory.
Lot of crashes, saves losts, limited campaigns, and what's going on, and problem keeping a lot of status info from the player and many ai the farther into a campaign.

And lot of missing dlcs like for anno 1800.
Ck3 is same, etc.

Im starting to have the idea to get a medium pc.
For 1150cad, i saw you can get a i7 with 32g ddr4, with a RTX 3060 12g ddr6, a 1 or 2tb ssd, etc.

If i can plug it into my tv, pretty sure its enough for most games of that style.

Getting a little bored with action adventure, open world etc, and getting more into that pc type of game more now.

Last edited:
I would hope they add more memory, or ideally, for cost and ease of customizing, have added a slot for ram, like on pc.
Customizing a console makes developing games more difficult, or simply is a next cheap "pro+" option if said game start demanding it.
Remember the N64?
Remember N64 expansion pak?

Lot of crashes
Because either bugs happen by rushed development, or because too much hardware too consider (PC).

There were games that exclusevily crashed on the PS4Pro but were running fin on the PS4, though this were less than those games that were better on the Pro.
Yet a Pro is a lazy solution to print more money for basically nothing.

Customizing a console makes developing games more difficult, or simply is a next cheap "pro+" option if said game start demanding it.
Remember the N64?
Remember N64 expansion pak?

Because either bugs happen by rushed development, or because too much hardware too consider (PC).

There were games that exclusevily crashed on the PS4Pro but were running fin on the PS4, though this were less than those games that were better on the Pro.
Yet a Pro is a lazy solution to print more money for basically nothing.
Times have changed, people are used to having to upgrade storage etc.
And it's a very low cost one, especially compared to ssd upgrade.
And it's a very singular simple variation compared to what devs have to contend with on the pc side.

It be a godsend for ports of heavy pc games, and also in general.
Anyhow, doesn't seem like it will happen for now.

Its an option for devs depending on what type of game.
Edit: and they could just have added it by default, since it cost very little, maybe would add 25bucks to the price, more than worth it.

Last edited:
Back