PSA (RAIN CONDITIONS): No Grip Red. setting in Arcade Time Trial

I did TT during daytime, and it was really wet and slippery. The evening race I did was in the GT League J Sports race.

See, the first try I did was with an RSR with RH in the evening in Time Trial mode. I didn't really feel too much of a difference.

Then I did a custom race with the new Honda, kept the SH tires on but I did the race during the Day wet setting. Also used the 'real' setting for grip and the difference was utter chaos. I wasn't sure if it was the car or the weather.

So did a custom race with the same settings at GoodWood just to test the car and it wasn't the car, it was in fact, the weather. However, It almost handled like it was in snow or ice. I've never had a car act like this in the rain. So not sure if there is an overcorrection on the physics to give more emphasis.

I think PD is putting an emphasis on using the rain tires.

Which is somewhat incongruous for the N class cars. However, I've used the Impreza and the 996 GT3 since and fared better, went from 11th to 6th in the 911 on SS tyres. Maybe the Delta is just a bit incompatible with the lower grip conditions.

Hang on a sec...has the availability of the grip reduction setting low/real dissapeared from arcade TT in v1.43? I have never ever played GT Sport online, but routinely set the off track grip reduction (as it was called) to real, not low. Where other than custom races could you do this offline? As I am sure I did for off line TT.

Hang on a sec...has the availability of the grip reduction setting low/real dissapeared from arcade TT in v1.43? I have never ever played GT Sport online, but routinely set the off track grip reduction (as it was called) to real, not low. Where other than custom races could you do this offline? As I am sure I did for off line TT.
It has never been available in TT.

If you wanna use street tires in the rain (with grip: real), you gotta use comforts, not sports.

Sports have shallow groves, akin to Racing intermediates.

This, I agree, I tried comfort tyres akin to road tyres on a road car and it feels about right, sports tyres are for track days and not for wet weather so why would they give you decent grip in the wet!

On another note have now bee using custom race offline with just one opponent (closest I can get to hot lapping) feels much better, dont think I will be going back to ATT any time soon unless PD patch it and add the option for grip level.

If you wanna use street tires in the rain (with grip: real), you gotta use comforts, not sports.

Sports have shallow groves, akin to Racing intermediates.
Yeah sport tyres are kind of like intermediate tyres, but with a harder compound.
As far as I know, these kind of sport tyres are homologated for street use? So it would be weird if they don't grip at all on wet conditions.

---

Regarding the AI, it seems the rain is the only way to make it competitive. They tend to brake earlier but accelerate like they use TCS and they don't seem to suffer from oversteer.

I think it may have gone unnoticed but there is actually 3 different levels of rain.

1045 is the wettest conditions and only manageable with heavy wets 0445 still requires the heavy wets but is without doubt less slippy than 1045 as you can survive on inters and 1730 is intermediates although heavy wets still work pretty well.

I made a video outlining the differences between each time of day and what to expect

For me the 0445 setting is the most enjoyable as it's difficult and will bite you but more forgiving than 1045 which frankly is just a bit too brutal for my liking

---

Regarding the AI, it seems the rain is the only way to make it competitive. They tend to brake earlier but accelerate like they use TCS and they don't seem to suffer from oversteer.

I disagree. I think the AI may have gotten better, at least in Custom Races. They drive much more aggressively in custom races. Heck, I'd even call them borderline dirty.

If this is true and the entire wet track has more grip on ‘Low’ compared to ‘Real’ thats a shame.

David just made a video on wet physics here using Arcade TT settings which may give a false impression if that’s the case, I know for a fact the grip on curbs is different anyway which was one of his complaints here (curbs having too much grip).

Did for me but then caught up with SuperGT’s YouTube coverage and commentary leading me to set up some custom races so I could set the grip to real.
It’s just a shame that any players who don’t follow the forums probably won’t experience how much fun this when not in arcade.

Yeah sport tyres are kind of like intermediate tyres, but with a harder compound.
As far as I know, these kind of sport tyres are homologated for street use? So it would be weird if they don't grip at all on wet conditions.

I've had a Toyo Proxes T1-R before and the main characteristics in rain was excess drag when driving forward and an ease of turn in upon standing water. The terminal understeer I experienced on Tuesday night even under weight transfer seemed quite at odds.

I was going to make a rant on GTP seeing how PD dropped the ball on rain physics until I saw this thread. I had completely forgotten about the grip reduction setting because in GT5/6 you can select this for TT (and I always set it to Real automatically). I mean it's good if you visit GTP and read this thread, but a lot of people out there won't know and they will just think PD are idiots for making slicks faster than rain tyres in the wet.

I do wonder why "Low" Grip Reduction setting is even in the game at all, and why it is default in arcade/TT/almost all career events. It doesn't really make any sense because if a track edge has lower grip in real life, then that's how it is. There's enough hand holding in this game already. What's next? Making gravel traps have the same grip as asphalt? :lol:

Back