• 73 comments

TJ13

Dark Theme. Thank you.
Premium
United States
Minnesota
TJ136
So you can change your PSN ID now.

Should be interesting to see how it goes.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/04/10/online-id-change-on-psn-your-questions-answered/

FAQ

Q: Where and how can I change my online ID?
You can either change your online ID on your PS4 or web browser.

PlayStation 4:

• Step 1: From your PS4 go to [Settings].
  • Step 2: Select [Account Management] > [Account Information] > [Profile] > [Online ID].
  • Step 3: Enter an Online ID of your choice or choose from one of the suggestions.
  • Step 4: Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the change.
Web browser:

• Step 1: Sign in to your PlayStation Network account and select PSN Profile in the menu.
  • Step 2: Select the Edit button that’s next to your Online ID.
  • Step 3: Enter an Online ID of your choice or choose from one of the suggestions.
  • Step 4: Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the change.
Q. Can I change my online ID on my PS3 or PS Vita?
No. The change can only be made through a PS4 system or web browser.

Q: Do I have to pay to change my ID? How much will it cost?
The first change is free, and changes after that will cost $9.99 USD / CAD. For PlayStation Plus members, it will cost $4.99 USD/ CAD for each change after the first one.

Q: Will my friends be able to find me with my new online ID?
When changing your online ID, you’ll have the option to display your old ID next to your new ID in your Profile for 30 days. This will make it easier for your friends to notice your ID change. You can only select this option at the time you are changing your online ID.

Q: How many times can I change my ID?
In general, there are no restrictions to the number of times you can change your online ID.

Q: Can I revert back to my old ID?
You can as long as the old ID doesn’t violate the Terms of Service. You can revert back to any of your previous IDs by contacting PlayStation Support.

Q. Do I have to pay to revert back to an old ID?
No, reverting back is free.

Q: What happens to my old online ID? Can someone else take it?
No, your old online ID is only available to you.

Q: If I change my online ID multiple times, can I revert back to any of my past IDs?
Yes, you can revert back to any of your previous online IDs, as long as those IDs do not violate the Terms of Service.

Q: How many times can I revert back to an old ID?
In general, there are no restrictions to the number of times you can revert your online ID.

Q: Can any account change their online ID?
Child accounts cannot change their online ID.

Q: Do all games support online ID change?
A large majority of the most-played PS4 games that we tested support the feature. We recommend that you check this list of tested games before you make the actual change. PS3 and PS Vita games are not supported.

Q. What do you mean by a game supports the online ID change if it was ‘originally published’ on or after April 1, 2018?
The game must have launched for the first time on or after April 1, 2018, to support the online ID change feature. For example, a game that first launched back in 2013 that has since been re-mastered or re-sold as a ‘complete edition’ in 2018 does not apply.

Q: Why is it that only games published after April 1, 2018 were developed to support online ID change?
Games published after this date were developed using tools that support online ID change at a system level.

Q: Will all PS4 games released in the future support the feature?
All PS4 games originally published on or after April 1, 2018 have been developed to support the online ID change feature, but we do not guarantee that all games will fully support the feature.

Q: I saw that there are a lot of potential issues and risks associated with changing my online ID. How do I know that I won’t run into these?
We recommend that you check this list of tested games before you make the actual change. A large majority of the most-played PS4 games that we tested support the feature, and we expect major issues to occur only in a small number of games.

Q: What kind of issues could I potentially run into?
Below are some of the issues you may encounter. We expect major issues to occur only in a small number of games.

• Your previous Online ID may remain visible to you and other players in some areas.
  • You may lose progress within games, including game saved data, leaderboard data, and progress towards Trophies.
  • Parts of your game and applications may not function properly both online and offline.
  • You may lose access to content (including paid-for content) that you may have acquired for your games including content like add-ons and virtual currency.
Q: What should I do if I encounter an issue by changing my online ID?
If you experience any issues while playing a game that is not on the list of tested games, we recommend that you revert back to your previous online ID that did not have those issues. Reverting back should resolve most issues.

I know that the first change is free, but charging 10 dollars for something as simple as nickname change is a bit absurd, imo
Xbox charges $10 for name changes, so it isn't that much different. PS Plus users however get essentially half off for them, though.

And still nothing about changing the account nationality? Jesus Christ...
I think this may have something to do with different policies for different countries, or maybe because some PS Store content isn't available in all countries. Then again, if that's the problem, the solution should be quite simple.

Why you should have possibility to chance that?

I recently moved to Germany for studies, and most of my games (with sufficient progress in all of them) are on my russian account. Since PSN is a real pain when it comes to cash/PS Plus card regions and credit card assigning, ability to change the region would come in very handy

Xbox charges $10 for name changes, so it isn't that much different. PS Plus users however get essentially half off for them, though.
I think tbey are charging to hold back trolls,if it was free they would change their name and no one will be able to report them

Heh, didn't know about Xbox

Anti-troll is a solid reason, but still, 10 bucks? I think it should've been at least 5 for all users, but that's just me

I think this may have something to do with different policies for different countries, or maybe because some PS Store content isn't available in all countries. Then again, if that's the problem, the solution should be quite simple.
Yes, it's mainly to do with the PS regions and their PS Stores.
Incompatibilty with a PS game from one region and a console from another, region locked DLC, incompatible game updates or DLC, etc.

And while it may be fine for someone who, let's say, moves from England to Ireland, it's a massive headache if someone moves from Aus. to the US.
And you can't have some people being allowed while on the other hand refusing others, so it's a blanket "No" for changing nationalities.

Yes, it's mainly to do with the PS regions and their PS Stores.
Incompatibilty with a PS game from one region and a console from another, region locked DLC, incompatible game updates or DLC, etc.

And while it may be fine for someone who, let's say, moves from England to Ireland, it's a massive headache if someone moves from Aus. to the US.
And you can't have some people being allowed while refusing others, so it's a blanket "No" for changing nationalities.
Nationality changes would need to be under special circumstances such as being able to prove residency in said country to PlayStation and they can change it for you. It would then need to prompt on startup the next time you load PS of the Terms and Conditions applying to whatever region you switch to.

Why you should have possibility to chance that?
Because I created my account back in 2011 and there was rumors in the local forums where I live that accounts registered in my country couldn't be used to play in specific online games and downloading specific DLCs, one of these games was the game I was interested the most back then...So my dumbass went and created my main account with a US address and a international credit card.

Even then, why should we NOT have such a basic option that almost every website in the Internet have since...I don't know, the 2000's?

I'm interested to know if, after changing your PSN, you keep your current spot on the GT Sport leaderboards or it creates a new entry.

^This is a good question, we wouldn't want to lose the scores associated with our old PSN in the current FIA season.

I don’t see why it would happen as it’s linked to your account and not your ID. GTS is also on the list of games with no issues. Get on a useless account you might have and post a lap in Sport Mode. Then change your ID and check if the time is still there and listed as your new ID’s time. Or wait until someone you trust does it successfully.

What about PS3 games? The site just shows a PS4 games list and says,

PS3 and PS Vita games and apps do not support the online ID change feature. These games and apps, along with any games not currently listed in the Games List, could encounter issues.

So I guess its pot luck then :lol:

Last edited:
So I guess its pot luck then :lol:

That's seems to be the general vibe in a nut shell, not just with PS3 and Vita, but perhaps even PS4.

Q: Will all PS4 games released in the future support the feature?
All PS4 games originally published on or after April 1, 2018 have been developed to support the online ID change feature, but we do not guarantee that all games will fully support the feature.

Apparently you also can't play any of the PS3 era call of duty games online either if you change your name. That's why I never bothered doing it during the beta. I wanted to change my name but I'm not losing games over it.

Back