Punknoodle's building a new PC *Update* Now upgrading to an i7 and GTX 1080 :D

• Thread starter Punknoodle
  • 68 comments
Australia
Brisbane
Punknoodle_Nick
Hi everyone.

I'm currently I'm in the process of planning for my build which I am going to start collecting parts for over the next few months (leaving the motherboard, CPU, GPU till last to let prices come down).

Here is what I have come up with:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Punknoodle/saved/44mU

I don't want to break the bank but I'd like to be able to play Project Cars at 1080p at close to or at the highest settings - will this be able to do it?

Don't really want to go AMD based, I'm having trouble trying to find AMD motherboards at a good price that have PCI-e 3.0, regardless I prefer Intel.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

Edit: 3 years on and my motherboard crapped itself. Decided it was time to rebuild.

Just placed an order for an Asus Strix Z270F motherboard, Intel Core i7 7700k CPU, 16Gb DDR4 2400 ram and an EVGA 1080 SC2 icx graphics card. The 780 was struggling running my triple screens so this should sort that out.

Last edited:
It's perfect.

If you want to save some money, though, ditch the SSD and go with a regular 7200RPM HDD. In my opinion SDD's are horribly overrated. 7200RPM HDD's are bloody fast as is, plenty fast you'll ever need or want. My PC doesn't have one, and it boots in 15 seconds or so all done to desktop.

Your build is the newer version of mine which, at least so far, can handle anything I throw at it. I think you'll be very happy with it.

That's a good-looking rig so far. But like @Bram Turismo said, replace the SSD with a HDD. SSD's generally are best if you install Windows through there or store games through there. Other than that this rig will drill through mostly everything.

The one thing I might suggest is a gpu with more VRAM. Games really are going over 2gb now. Titanfall hits 3.7 on my setup and that's just at 1080p on one screen.
Also if you ever think of going triple screens the 2gb limit will hurt you at times. Before I got 4gb cards I hit the VRAM limit on a few games with triple screens.

VRAM is a touchy subject with people though. Some people get really upset for some reason when it's talked about.

I did run tests though with sli 570s compared to one if my my 4gb 670s. The 570s would smoke the 670 until I started hitting the VRAM limit then they would stutter and even crash while the 670 kept going. This was with triple screens though.

Going up to a larger card though would future proof you a good bit though and games really are pushing over 2gb now even in I've screen.

Maybe research it a little or see what others have to say on here about it.

Thanks for the comments, the reason I spec'd an SSD is because I have an i5 laptop and the difference an SSD made when I installed in was phenomenal, it made a massive speed difference.

I'll keep a look out the the 4gb version of that card, if prices fall I might go with it.

Cheers

Once you SSD you'll find yourself unable to live without one, personally. Sub-10 second Windows startup times never get old :)

Build looks great, gets my seal of approval - and that's not easy! :D

Quick question, do you think it's worth paying extra for something like a Z87-Pro motherboard over the H87 board I have spec'd? Is it just the ability to over clock that is the main benefit, as well as SLI if I ever go down that route?

I'd get Z87, you might not need its features but it's better to have them and not use them than not have them and need them :)

Well, first purchase complete, just picked up the power supply, a guy was selling one he has only used for one month, comes in the box with all original cables. If I'm patient and keep an eye out for deals hopefully I can build this for a good price :)

Components in Australia are like double the listed price on that part picker website!

One more thing, changed my mind on a couple of things, I'm going with an MSI Z87 G45 Gaming motherboard, it is cheaper than the Z87-Plus board and does everything I need, according to bench marks it out performs the Asus board, too a Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z87. After reading reviews I don't like the reliability of MSI motherboards, plus the Sniper has all the features I need, great audio and looks awesome.

Also decided on a different case, and I've ordered it. Bought this one:

Because orange.

Currently leading the bidding on a brand new LG blu ray reader / DVD writer from a dude around the corner from me that he bought and didn't need. [Update: I won so now I have it installed in the case]

Oh and my partner's mum bought a copy of Windows 8 for her son and never needed to use it so scored that too.

Do you think it makes a difference going with an MSI version of the GTX770? I read that the MSI motherboard unlocks more speed from an MSI graphics card if it's matched with it. I'm going with either an EVGA 770 SC with the twin cooler after seeing all the reviews, stating that the EVGA cards are top shelf, or the Gigabyte Windforce 3 due to me living in a warm climate.

Last edited:
Small update, just ordered the Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z87 motherboard and an 8Gb (2x4Gb) kit of Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz ram. Was going to hold off and go with a Z97 based board but I figured if I kept waiting for the latest technology I'd never end up buying anything, plus I'm confident that the 4670K will be enough for what I need.

So it seems I'm the only one posting in here, which is fine, it's not exactly an exciting thread lol, but just incase anyone has wandered in here I'm just wondering, I was about to order my CPU in the next few days (Intel Core i5 4670K)..

I understand that the new Haswell refresh chips release on May 11, and the K series chips June 2. Do you think there will be a big enough price drop for the 4670K to warrant holding off on the purchase for a couple of weeks? I was also going to get the H80i at the same time so I could get it all installed and at least boot up to the bios to test that the components I have all work before I buy an SSD to install Windows.

Do you think there will be a big enough price drop for the 4670K to warrant holding off on the purchase for a couple of weeks?
I'm sure the prices on the old CPUs will drop but I can't see it being by a lot. Personally, I'd only hold off buying it if the new chips have features that you really want/need.

Also, I remember when the price of a Samsung S3 phone actually went up, because on release, people were seemingly disappointed with the merely incremental advancements of the S4.

TB
I'm sure the prices on the old CPUs will drop but I can't see it being by a lot. Personally, I'd only hold off buying it if the new chips have features that you really want/need.

Yeah, I have a Z87 chipset based motherboard now, which means I could run the later model chip but not the later model K series chips which is only for Z97, so I'm best off with the current Haswell K series if I intend to overclock, which I do (slightly).

So on that, I ordered my 4670K CPU and H80i cooler today, I'll pick them up next Thursday. I'll have it all built except for the SSD and graphics card then, so I'll boot it up and have a look through the BIOS next weekend, which is pretty exciting for someone who's never built a PC before :)

I have a question about airflow. I have a Corsair 230T case, it has 2 intake fans on the front, then the top is vented and has holes to mount fans, one in front of the other, and then there is a fan on the back (exhaust). I've decided on mounting the radiator and twin fan setup for he H80i on the back where the original fan was, I'm wondering if I should set it up as in exhaust, then take the fan that I took out from there and place it on the top of the case blowing out as well, like this:

AC94A235-285C-4B73-B59D-8923510076DB_zpsfjjfs03n.png

Or should I set up the H80i as an intake in that location and have the top mounted exhaust fan, like this:

753E1C38-5AE2-4570-8525-D4FA05D29F03_zpssxy4yc4m.png

Or leave out the redundant fan and set it up as single exhaust:

5DB68C38-BFA3-4B75-9C78-259C93871315_zpsmrn0gw93.png

I'm thinking option one is the best.

I'm looking at a single 4gb GTX 770 for now but may end up upgrading my power supply and slotting in a second one in SLI later to go triple screen.

Last edited:
Yes, option 1.

Also, you don't have to have the GPU for it to boot and run so you can get the OS installed, printers set up, etc. then buy the 770.

Definately option one.

Besides that, I really like your planned set up and hope to see some updates soon. Awesome Case!
Thanks!
TB
Yes, option 1.

Also, you don't have to have the GPU for it to boot and run so you can get the OS installed, printers set up, etc. then buy the 770.
Cheers dude, I realise I have on board video, just don't have a hard drive yet either, hence bios only.

Ah, yep, that's the goal :) I'm building this out of bonus overtime money I get but I have a rule that I have to put a certain amount in to savings before I put any money in to my toys, so I just have to be patient buying components.

Great taste in components. I'm in the pro-SSD camp as the speed difference is night and day, less moving parts (less things to go wrong presumably) and you can get a Sata 6 250GB for a pretty good price now a-days. Even with a killer system like this a HDD would be the bottleneck. Option one for the air flow, 2 in and 2 out 👍

The good thing about being patient is prices drop over time, so you may even upgrade further when you go to buy.

Jerome

Great taste in components. I'm in the pro-SSD camp as the speed difference is night and day, less moving parts (less things to go wrong presumably) and you can get a Sata 6 250GB for a pretty good price now a-days. Even with a killer system like this a HDD would be the bottleneck. Option one for the air flow, 2 in and 2 out 👍

The good thing about being patient is prices drop over time, so you may even upgrade further when you go to buy.

Jerome
Thanks mate, yeah the SSD I think is well worth it. After having an i5 laptop with an SSD I really can't go back, it's insanely fast. I'll just get a 500 Gb HDD for storage purposes and backup. I already have 2 Tb external drive that I use to back up my laptop and my partners computer and will continue to use that for movies etc.

Option 2 should not be an option.
Can you run the rad in push/pull?
Yep, you can, it comes with 2 fans. The reason I thought of option 2 was because it recommends setting the rad up as an intake so the air going through the rad is fresher but looking at a few temp comparisons online the temperature difference between intake and exhaust set up are only 1°C.

I'll definately be going with Option 1.

I went and picked up the CPU and cooler tonight :)

Here is the CPU installed in the socket
455B0CC8-9D7B-4283-ABEB-985ECF42DD35_zpsy8chhyrm.jpg

And then the cooler
4BD86BA8-7FE9-465F-879E-67BCEC34E940_zpsnnvqmazb.jpg

Powered up
40800522-C393-450C-A61D-C849F5BBB4C2_zpscytiybkt.jpg

With the case covers on
01D747A7-4F8B-4687-A803-2C3AAA2265DC_zpshwkkhomo.jpg

0642E244-BB64-4B69-A018-1D6C099B6EA7_zpsgmzrewqe.jpg

And the BIOS screen!
0C116B1D-910C-4AF4-8E8D-3F6CC3E49759_zpshvolzibu.jpg

Pretty happy, I know the cabling isn't tidy, I'll tie it up once the hard drive and graphics card are in. And the colour of the cooling pump lights are going to be changed to green to match the motherboard track lighting. Looks rad :)

Couldn't help myself and I went and bought the SSD so I could install Windows 8.1.

Install went flawlessly, then I installed the drivers that came with the motherboard, all good.

After I installed Kaspersky I installed the only 2 games I own for PC - Age of Empires 3 and World In Conflict. Even only running on the integrated graphics I can max out AOE3, I haven't tried World In Conflict yet but I was able to max that on the laptop and AOE would still struggle so I guess it'll be fine. I had to set it up to run AOE in compatibility mode though.

Still learning Windows 8. It takes a lot to get used to, it feels dumbed down, like a giant phone, but once I learn it I'm sure it will be great.

So I couldn't help myself and I bought Assetto Corsa on Steam, even though I doubt the integrated graphics will even run it. Didn't care though, just wanted to celebrate my gaming machine by buying one of the games that I'm building it for, and it can just sit there, installed for when I finish installing the card and drivers. I can't wait to get my graphics card now, should be next month I'd say.

EDIT: Assetto Corsa runs!! Everything is turned right down, but it does run smoothly.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back