Punknoodle's building a new PC *Update* Now upgrading to an i7 and GTX 1080 :D

• Thread starter Punknoodle
  • 68 comments
Congrats on having the rig up and running! :cheers:

The integrated graphics are surprisingly decent. FOR OLDER GAMES. :lol: You'll quickly find their limit with more taxing games but for the time being, it'll suffice. đź‘Ť

TB
Congrats on having the rig up and running! :cheers:

The integrated graphics are surprisingly decent. FOR OLDER GAMES. :lol: You'll quickly find their limit with more taxing games but for the time being, it'll suffice. đź‘Ť
Thanks! Lol, yeah, I started up World in Conflict, and in low graphics mode (directx 9) it had an average of 78 fps, I switched to very high (directx 10) and it kept crashing, I updated the driver and it worked, but I only had a whopping 8fps.. It's ok, I don't mind running low graphics until I get the GTX 770.

Hey, so I have been slowly getting the hang of Windows 8, I actually like the start screen now that I have it set up right with a good background theme.

I bought a USB 3.0 external card reader today. My partner organised some family and friends to pitch in for my 30th birthday present, which was a GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition. Stoked with that gift! So yeah figured I would get a fast one because of copying over the large video files.

Also, I loaded up rFactor and it actually plays at max settings with the integrated graphics.

It's unbelievable how inflated prices are in Australia for computer parts. I genuinely thought, based on prices I kept on seeing online for builds, that I would be able to build a system like this for around the $1000 mark, as it stands with the GPU purchase it will be an $1800 computer (including the price of Windows, I ended up having to buy an OEM copy) and that's not including anti virus, mouse, keyboard, monitor as I already have them. I didn't really notice the expense because I've been buying the parts separately, but I feel kinda bad for spending that much money!

Should be picking up the GPU in a couple weeks, decided on the EVGA GTX 770 Classified 4GB. $525. It's only a little more expensive than the super clocked but looks like the far superior card.

Based on having an overclock friendly GPU, CPU, mother board and sufficient cooling, I guess I should learn how to overclock this thing, too..

Why would you buy a anti virus? Just get something like avast Free Antivirus or Microsoft Security Essentials?
I've been using Avast for years and never had ANY problems with viruses, trojans or anything like this.

But yeah, being active on the Linus Tech Tips forum, where a lot of australians are, I know the prices are completely stupid, but it's the same with cars? Anyways, it's crazy what you guys have to pay for hardware.

Why would you buy a anti virus? Just get something like avast Free Antivirus or Microsoft Security Essentials?
I've been using Avast for years and never had ANY problems with viruses, trojans or anything like this.

But yeah, being active on the Linus Tech Tips forum, where a lot of australians are, I know the prices are completely stupid, but it's the same with cars? Anyways, it's crazy what you guys have to pay for hardware.
Because I hate the ads that come with suites like that, I've used Kaspersky before and the reviews for this year's version of it rated it has being one of the best performing and also least resource intensive, so I bought it. Wasn't terribly expensive and now I don't have to worry about it for another 2 years (2 year licence).

Because I hate the ads that come with suites like that, I've used Kaspersky before and the reviews for this year's version of it rated it has being one of the best performing and also least resource intensive, so I bought it. Wasn't terribly expensive and now I don't have to worry about it for another 2 years (2 year licence).

What ads? :D
There are absolutely no ads with avast mate, no weird pop ups or anything ;)

What ads? :D
There are absolutely no ads with avast mate, no weird pop ups or anything ;)
I've used Avast before, as well as a few other "Lite" versions of security suites such as AVG, some have little pop ups every so often suggesting you upgrade to pro, or in the interface itself a little banner, and regardless of this, you don't get all the features of the full suites when running the free versions, more like just the basics.

I'd rather just pay a small fee annually or bi annually and know that I'm getting complete protection and full product support, and the simplicity of one suite handling everything.

Not to say there is anything wrong with using the "Lite" versions, I'd just rather the full suites.

Edit: I always check reviews before I purchase a new security suite for the best performers, and buy based on that.

I recommend Kaspersky Internet Security, it is a really good program that does not decrease the performance of the computer too much.

The protection is very good, I also like the addon for Google Chrome.

I've used Avast before, as well as a few other "Lite" versions of security suites such as AVG, some have little pop ups every so often suggesting you upgrade to pro, or in the interface itself a little banner, and regardless of this, you don't get all the features of the full suites when running the free versions, more like just the basics.

I'd rather just pay a small fee annually or bi annually and know that I'm getting complete protection and full product support, and the simplicity of one suite handling everything.

Not to say there is anything wrong with using the "Lite" versions, I'd just rather the full suites.

Edit: I always check reviews before I purchase a new security suite for the best performers, and buy based on that.

To each his own I guess, I'm not going to say, that you've made a mistake, dude. For my uses I'm very satisfied with Avast, simply put in the game mode so the voice doesn't come up or pop ups or anything and so far (been using it for the last 4 years) haven't had a single problem with any virus, but that, ofc, always comes down on which sites you're on.

$525 for a GTX770...

Damn dude, my condolences.
Yep. Cheapest 2GB version is $402.
Cheapest 780 is $575 and the cheapest 780ti is $835. But those all have only 3GB of video memory.

Wanna know how much the 12GB Titan Z is here in Australia? $3699!

I have a question, the SC ACX 4GB GTX 770 is $485. That's what I'm thinking of going with now as I think the classified is just extra money for no benefit.

The cheapest 780 card I can find is the MSI GTX 780 Twin Frozr IV, at $570.

Would the MSI be a good card? There is an ASUS version, called the ASUS GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5, which is about $630.

All I'll really be playing is Project Cars and Assetto Corsa, I want to run really good looking settings and don't want it to slow down during weather effects and full grids of cars. Will the cheaper 780 card be much better than the SC 770? Would the more expensive 780 card be even better?

I really don't want to go over that price. I think around the $600 mark is already silly enough, ideally if I can get away with the 770 that's awesome but if it means it'll struggle and the 780 wouldn't, well I could probably stretch to get it.

Opinions?

Edit: Or, because I like the EVGA range of cards, there is a EVGA GTX 780 FTW card for $640...

Last edited:
Yeah so I just went ahead and ordered EVGA GTX 780 FTW with ACX and dual bios. Stretched the budget a bit but I think it'll be worth it.
I think it is a good decision... The 780 is one of the best cards on the market, even tho it is expensive :)

Definately option one.

No. It is best to have positive pressure in your case. However, what you ought to do is run some test with an eye on HWMonitor to see which fan setup results in the lowest temps.

No. It is best to have positive pressure in your case. However, what you ought to do is run some test with an eye on HWMonitor to see which fan setup results in the lowest temps.
But isn't it better to get the hot air out? -> negative pressure?

Wanna know how much the 12GB Titan Z is here in Australia? $3699!

Is that all? In the UK the cheapest Titan Z I can see equates to $4178 Australian. The cheapest 770 is $541.43... This is why I'm sticking with my 680...

But isn't it better to get the hot air out? -> negative pressure?

Positive pressure means you have more air coming in than going out, it doesn't mean no air is coming out. Negative pressure turns your case into a vacuum cleaner so it draws dust in through vents and small gaps, positive pressure helps keep dust out. Of course you don't want it to be too positive, though... This explains it quite well.

Positive pressure means you have more air coming in than going out, it doesn't mean no air is coming out. Negative pressure turns your case into a vacuum cleaner so it draws dust in through vents and small gaps, positive pressure helps keep dust out. Of course you don't want it to be too positive, though... This explains it quite well.
Ah ok... I thought that it would be better to get MORE of it out...

Is that all? In the UK the cheapest Titan Z I can see equates to $4178 Australian. The cheapest 770 is $541.43... This is why I'm sticking with my 680...
Wow, that's expensive. Americans have it so good in the PC market.
I think it is a good decision... The 780 is one of the best cards on the market, even tho it is expensive :)
Yeah, I think the 770 would have been able to play Project Cars on high settings, but to really make it shine at a descent fps I think the 780 is better suited. Plus if I want to go triple screen later I will be able to with the 780 without dropping the settings too much.

Of course the sky is the limit with these things, the Ti would have been better still but I wouldn't have felt comfortable spending that much money!

Back