Punknoodle's building a new PC *Update* Now upgrading to an i7 and GTX 1080 :D

• Thread starter Punknoodle
  • 68 comments
Well I picked up the card last night and downloaded the latest drivers and got them all installed. Out of the box with no tinkering I ran the Heaven 4.0 benchmark on Ultra settings and Tesselation to Extreme and got an average fps of 55. Interestingly the memory clock speed only got to like 3000 MHz which is like half the speed it's rated at. Why does that happen?

Booted up Assetto Corsa, I didn't have time to set it up on my racing rig so I didn't actually drive, I just played with the settings and went to the screen where the camera goes around the car, with everything on max settings it looked very smooth indeed, quick question - what AA method is best? It's says not to use two at the same time..

What do you mean by AA "method"?

As in, the AA settings?

I personally use FXAA. MSAA is more demanding for your system, but all games these days just look so good already with FXAA that I don't bother using MSAA. I can see the difference if I really focus on trying to see the difference, but while gaming I don't really mind the very minuscule imperfection. In Tomb Raider I use FXAA, in Battlefield 3 I'm using 4xMSAA. I think the TressFX hair option in Tomb Raider is rather demanding, which is why I can't touch 60fps in Tomb Raider unless I overclock.

Oh sorry I meant Assetto Corsa. The heaven benchmark I ran at full AA, too. In AC I think I chose maximum MSAA, but I never drove with those settings so I don't know yet

If you like the framerate you are getting with max MSAA run with that. I guess it's personal preference in the end. FXAA is good enough for me. But this is probably because I've always played consoles and never had a PC that could max out games at large resolutions.

My old motherboard crapped itself. So I've just placed an order for these:
P_setting_000_1_90_end_500.png

Asus Strix Z270F Gaming Motherboard
51zkoInLSiL.jpg

Intel Core i7 7700k CPU
CMK16GX4M2A2133C13-la.jpg

Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400 RAM
81-h2H%2BChWL._SL1500_.jpg

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Superclocked 2 Graphics Card

Really looking forward to building and testing this thing :D

Back