PURE | JGTS - Going on strong and adapting in the face of change!

• Thread starter Denilson
  • 4,412 comments
Or as it is, fast driver could have an unlucky qualifying and end up in Div2 for the whole season ;)

I don't mind either way though.

Yeah I think we should just stick with qualifying for the race each week, instead of just restricting it to set divisions. Drivers have different abilities on different tracks, and times can fluctuate. The pressure of qualifying is the whole point of it, to see if someone can keep their resolve to come up with good lap time in 1-2 laps. If you make a mistake, then that's unfortunate but also something you just have to live with. If you made a mistake in a season qualifier it could cost you the whole season, which just seems a bit unfair. At least with weekly qualifying you always have a new chance the following week.

Well there would be a bump-swap system added to the mix. The two or so people who finish highly in D2 would be bumped up to D1 and swapped out with the two or so drivers in D1 that finish most poorly.

But I definitely hear you all about just doing it week to week. And what Owens suggested is true 'cause since we know eachother pretty well we could hypothetically stack each other based on past skill.

It's a hard decision to make when one has so many talented drivers involved. More discussion and insight needed.

Or as it is, fast driver could have an unlucky qualifying and end up in Div2 for the whole season ;)

I don't mind either way though.

I suppose running 2 separate tracks, with 5-6 laps on each to set a PB, is enough to avoid this. ;)

Because then a fast driver who has an unlucky moment qualifying ends up in division 2, has probably an uninteresting race,and can't fight for 1st place.

Isn't having an unlucky weekend part of racing?

Why cant each weeks qualifying dictate what room they are in?

+1.
I like this the best. Slower drivers can dramatically improve if the practice their brains out. People should be as to earn the right to advance throughout the season. This would promote competition and driver development, I think.

I think that if a good driver has a lapse in judgement or concentration and messes up qualifying then he doesn't deserve to be D1 that week. The hungriest will rise to the top. This gives drivers in D2 incentive to improve. I guess both systems have this element though. One system focuses on qualifying as the basis for promotions and the other system focuses on actual race performance. Maybe the latter method is better after all.

Last edited:
Isn't having an unlucky weekend part of racing?

I guess you're right. 👍

Or not ,as you see,in motorsport a racer can have an unlucky saturday (Q) but a good sunday (R) and therefore an overall good weekend.

A unlucky Sunday would end up in a bad starting position (If not too bad, and does not even quali to make the grid at all), and from a bad starting position, your chance of ending up with a good weekend would meen that you should fight your way thru the entire field.. Won't happen.

Options:
1. Run a pre season qulifier to decide if you'll race in D1 or D2.
The 2 last finishers in D1 get bumped down to D2, and top 2 from D2 will replace them.
A qualifier prior each weeks race will set the grid. No matter your time, you're still stuck in your division for that week.
Meening: Race result will decide wich division you'll race in the next week.

2. Run a qualifier prior each race, and top 14 times make the D1 race, and time 15-28 race in D2.
Meening: Quali result will decide wich division you'll race in that week.

3. Run 2 paralell series (2 different groups), where each driver fight for a spot among the 14 available spots in your destinated group.
When 10 races are completed, top 7 drivers from each group race eachother in one huge final.
Championship points will decide your starting position in the final. No ballast is applied no mather the level of it after race 10.
(Or the 1 vs 1 option, but I guess that one is already ruled out.)

A unlucky Sunday would end up in a bad starting position (If not too bad, and does not even quali to make the grid at all), and from a bad starting position, your chance of ending up with a good weekend would meen that you should fight your way thru the entire field.. Won't happen.

Really? :mischievous:

If the field has the right stats. We could do a western Div and eastern Div. Basically N/A Div and European Div if you will.

This might be slick for race start times and commitment.

If the field has the right stats. We could do a western Div and eastern Div. Basically N/A Div and European Div if you will.

This might be slick for race start times and commitment.

Yea, I've been discussing it with Wardez.. But we're not sure at all yet.. Still need to listen to what you guys have to say..

Option 1. You're competing against more drivers with more similar skill levels to you. It's the only way you can go about it if you're after 'PURE' racing. None of this 'one division is more competitive than the other' like in WSGTC, thanks. 👍

I agree with you..

But, since both groups will run the same cars, comparing the qulity in each group will be based on facts (actual lap times), instead of just what something seems to be, like in the comparison between the GT300's and GT500's in WSGTC.. On the other hand, just watching the gap between some drivers can ofc tell you that there's an obvious gap in skill...

I also believe that both groups will contain equally fast drivers.
If I'm going to put my chin out a bit, I'd say that I believe that 2 seconds at the most will separate driver nr 1 to driver nr 28 in PURE JGTS. That's less than a 1/10 between each driver in average..

Epic, epic, epic.. 👍 👍 👍

NOTE: Sorry for the tripple post.

Options:
1. Run a pre season qulifier to decide if you'll race in D1 or D2.
The 2 last finishers in D1 get bumped down to D2, and top 2 from D2 will replace them.
A qualifier prior each weeks race will set the grid. No matter your time, you're still stuck in your division for that week.
Meening: Race result will decide wich division you'll race in the next week.

2. Run a qualifier prior each race, and top 14 times make the D1 race, and time 15-28 race in D2.
Meening: Quali result will decide wich division you'll race in that week.

3. Run 2 paralell series (2 different groups), where each driver fight for a spot among the 14 available spots in your destinated group.
When 10 races are completed, top 7 drivers from each group race eachother in one huge final.
Championship points will decide your starting position in the final. No ballast is applied no mather the level of it after race 10.
(Or the 1 vs 1 option, but I guess that one is already ruled out.)

Definitely option 2 for me. Its more realistic IMO. The "normal" way to me. There are tracks you are faster than others, so why should you be stuck to one division because of just ONE bad race?!

Definitely option 2 for me. Its more realistic IMO. The "normal" way to me. There are tracks you are faster than others, so why should you be stuck to one division because of just ONE bad race?!

You're never "stuck" in any division.. For one race, yes, but you can always reach a good D2 result, and be promoted.
Just making sure you do not mix it up with beeig stuck in D2 for the whole season because of the pre season qualifier. Pre season qualifier will only decide wich division you'll race in for Round 1.

Denilson
You're never "stuck" in any division.. For one race, yes, but you can always reach a good D2 result, and be promoted.
Just making sure you do not mix it up with beeig stuck in D2 for the whole season because of the pre season qualifier. Pre season qualifier will only decide wich division you'll race in for Round 1.

This with only top 10 retain Div 1 and Div 2's top 4 move up to Div 1 next week.

This would def mix up some drivers each week making for some interesting races.

I agree, to an extent.

Well then that leaves the question of how said drivers should be ranked, if we went with option 1.

Pre-season qualifier over two tracks (one high speed, one technical, same car) where the average place ranks you?
I would say something similar in layout to a WRS qualifier, but online, of course.

Not just a lap or two like race qualifying, but long enough to allow everyone to fully represent themselves, maybe 2 5 lap races, 1 at track A and one at track B, damage on light of course, tire wear potentially off to avoid inconsistency of when of 5 laps is best run.

This with only top 10 retain Div 1 and Div 2's top 4 move up to Div 1 next week.

This would def mix up some drivers each week making for some interesting races.

true!

How many drivers will get promoted / degraded is def something we have to discuss if we go that route.
4 seems like a reasonable number. 👍

Last edited:
true!

How many drivers will get promoted, degraded is def something we have to discuss if we go that route.
4 seems like a reasonable number. 👍
How do you tally points for those switching divisions?

Oh yeah, didn't I PM you his response? He's in :)

Yeah, response coming up.

CSL was referring to how a points system would work with the divisional option btw.

Yeah, response coming up.

CSL was referring to how a points system would work with the divisional option btw.

It would be something like this I guess:

D1

D2

What happens if someone disconnects from a D1 race, or if they can't make the race one week? Would they get relegated?

It would be something like this I guess:

D1

D2
Yes, that's what I was asking for.👍
What happens if someone disconnects from a D1 race, or if they can't make the race one week? Would they get relegated?

If not a divisional qualifier I think weekly qualifying for each race is the best way t determine who's in which division.

Bwahahaha, I was lurking in the thread. ;) Hi to all those from WSGTC 1, and hi to all those I don't know yet. I'm sure looking forward to racing against you and getting to know you better.

I'm quite looking forward to some GT5 racing again, it's been far too long. I've had to do expensive things to get my fix, like buying this:

I blame Wardez and R1600Turbo's Miata league for that. :P :cheers:

Oh look at you tearin' it up on the streets Hamilton style in your little Piniata, that's awesome!

Thanks for checking back in with us Imari.

Is the time ok? It'll be around 4 or 5 monday morning. :nervous:

Is the time ok? It'll be around 4 or 5 monday morning. :nervous:

Yeah, I know. I'll try and do my best for a few weeks and see how I go. I'm working night shift at the moment anyway, midnight to 8:30am, so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch. My week doesn't start until Monday night, before someone asks. :)

Regarding points, if you're going to have the swapping of the bottom drivers of D1 and the top drivers of D2, have you considered making the bottom of D1 overlap with D2?

D1

D2

Something like that. The reasoning being that it's less brutal on the people who just miss the cutoff for D1 each week. The potential rewards are higher in D1, but then it would probably be easier to score the 20 points in D2 than D1 by the table above. Gives both outcomes a positive side, instead of being sad that you're locked out of a bunch of points because you missed D1.

That's probably only if you go for the switching divisions style, but it's something to consider.

Back