Purists racing in cockpit view vs exterior views

• Thread starter Paulzx
  • 346 comments
My view is never ever that obscured or limited in a real car.
It is, you just compensate for it, just as people do when racing in VR, with triple screens or single screens.

Outside of driving one of our Land Rovers it's been a long time since I've seen the front corner of a car from the drivers seat, doesn't mean I don't know where it us, as again it's compensating for the lack of visibility.

Do purists also wear race suits and a helmet? Have a technical engineer on the radio and live in a motorbike next to the track.

Funny you say this, but in university a friend and I attempted the 24 hour endurance races on GT5 (they couldn't be saved in progress, you had to leave the console on for about a week...) and we used helmets and gloves, just for fun, not to be purists, BUT it added another level to what would have otherwise been a very boring grind.

Don't knock it until you've tried it ;)

Funny you say this, but in university a friend and I attempted the 24 hour endurance races on GT5 (they couldn't be saved in progress, you had to leave the console on for about a week...) and we used helmets and gloves, just for fun, not to be purists, BUT it added another level to what would have otherwise been a very boring grind.

Don't knock it until you've tried it ;)

I will go get a race suit from high and mighty then to fit my rather big and tall frame.

This thread wasn't started as a debate between what view is better than the other. @Paulzx main question was who would like to see what driving views you could force upon players in the lobbies. No different than it is for the tires you run or the assist you use now.
Alot of us see cockpit cam as being the hardest of the bunch and would like to see it added as a choice for another level of difficulty in the lobbies.
Sport Mode can stay the arcade style of racing that people seem to like but lobbies can be made more hardcore for those of us looking for more of a challenge.
1. Cockpit view only
2. Sport tires only
3. No assist
4. Full damage on
5. Penalty on Strong
6. Fuel and tire wear on
7. 30 + laps
8. HUD turned off
9. No Tuning
I would also like the option for DS4 users only and one for wheel users only.

So why some may say that GTS is not a Hardcore Race Sim the lobbies do have the choice for a much higher level of difficulty than Sport Mode will probably ever offer.
This thread is bringing out other like-minded people who feel the same and would like to see these options added.
Perfect post Rinsky I could not have said it any better. But we have to leave it alone because we can respect the views of others, but somehow they cannot respect our views. Everytime somebody has to say they do not want others to decide how to drive. When only we ask for an extra option. Nobody needs to change anything.

What is also funny is that people in react always say “why do you care about how others drive”. But when I reply that for me driving with those people is the same feeling as driving with AI they keep quiet. I see no difference in adrenaline when driving to people with DS4 and all aids on or with AI. Same effect. I have the best gameplay experience when I drive with people I know are working as hard as me to keep the car in controle. So I do care how others drive because my personal fun is bigger knowing there is similar competition.

But no matter how many times we express our views and ask from nobody to change anything, just to add some options, we still are the ones that are blamed.

This has been interesting to say the least. What surprised me the most is how many people have supported my view, so there are a lot of players who play the game using more realistic settings and views, which means the game should offer more control for that.
Most funny thing is that I was pretty much “attacked” the same way while the poll that I started clearly proves that the “haters” are a BIG minority while the most clearly would want some changes. I was surprised as well that most people here seem to agree with me.

You missed my point, but that's ok.

... and cockpit view can be great, especially with wheel & hands disabled

I didn't miss the point, I simply don't agree with some of the conclusions you came to. My point is that if you can compensate for the a pillars, etc in a real car, then it's perfectly possible for people to do the same with cockpit view and a single screen.

At the end of the day it's largely down to what works for an individual

I do drive a real car, ... since 1975, and have driven on real race tracks since 2004.
I race on PC in triple screens in cockpit view, with a full Fanatec compliment.
I love cockpit view with triples and VR.

When i am driving on track in real life, in my full face helmet ...
my eyeballs' own peripheral vision, plus the ability of my eyes to scan rapidly without moving my head,
plus my ability to move my head, my ability to glance at mirrors, plus my ability to move my head a few inches around in relationship to the car interior, ...
All of these things are continually painting a picture in my brain of my surroundings, the road surface, and other cars around me.

When I am driving GT Sport, I use 'bumper cam', and sometimes cockpit cam for open top cars & kart.
What is being called 'bumper cam' in GTS isn't really bumper view. It is driver's eye view, with the cockpit and car body transparent.
In this game, it is the closest thing to the image I have in my brain as I drive my car on track in real life.
When I'm on track, inside my car I do see my wheel, I see my tachometer, and my temperature gauge,
... but because of all the motion, and because of the task at hand, I don't 'see' the a-pillar and the dashboard.
Just a millisecond ago, I saw that red & white kerbing and the hole in the dirt on the wrong side of it at the apex,
and although the glovebox is now in the way, i still 'see' that apex. My brain makes my car transparent, in a way.

Cockpit view on a single screen monitor is nothing at all like that.
It is not 'more realistic', more 'hardcore', more 'sim minded', less 'arcady'. It's just not. Cut the crap.

My view is never ever that obscured or limited in a real car.
No race driver in the real world, ever, would accept racing with a black curtain covering 75% of their driver's window, and also a quarter of their windshield, and everything else on the other side. Even a prototype is not as limiting as single monitor cockpit view in game.
You cannot properly compensate with FOV in most games, on any size monitor, without seriously compromising the image at the periphery.
Forcing it in competition makes no sense.

Without triple screens or VR, cockpit view is not a good representative view to real life.

Driving from outside the car, third person is fine if you're used to it,
but as a real life driver I cannot relate, and couldn't stay on track in chase cam, or with a controller.

Anyhow, ... boki sez, "All these kids need to stop pretending cockpit cam is some kind of purity."

i-FmFvvTH.jpg

i-DsckvVv-X3.jpg
Not saying that GT Sport cockpit view is perfect but comparing a 4th gen Golf to a modern GT car is apples and oranges. Sitting moved to the rear and down with a HANSS on takes away a lot of your vision which is basically why former F1 drivers often have a hard time competing in GT and touring cars against drivers who weren't talented enough to go to F1 (and were missing the budget, I know that going to F1 isn't all about talent for some drivers ;-)).

I think it is a bit unnecessary to argue about what view is more realistic (none of them are), cockpit view is quite simply the most immersive for me. Also, I do not really see the a-pillar in cockpit view because my brain seems to compensate for it (in most GTS cars at least), other people do or get motion sickness.

Just raced in cockpit view. The only way to enjoy cockpit cam is monitor/tv placement. Once the FOV dialled in, cockpit cam is natural.

Very true, however with GTS you can't dial in the FOV, as it's fixed.

My hope is that those who want to race in the cockpit view have friended each other and enjoyed a few races together.

You know, I used to be 100% pro-cockpit view.

Since giving bumper cam a shot (spoiler alert: it's not bumper cam, just cockpit without the car rendered), I have decided to abandon my previous viewpoint.

A couple of things just tip me off to the fact that GT is at its best in the cockpit-less view. The proper virtual rearview mirror. The black gradient effect at screen edge when you're very close to an opponent.

The only 2 things that would get me to go back to cockpit view are:
  • A real FOV slider
  • A virtual mirror
Without those 2 critical things, cockpit view is trash for online racing in my books, even with the radar MFD.

Just raced in cockpit view. The only way to enjoy cockpit cam is monitor/tv placement. Once the FOV dialled in, cockpit cam is natural.

You've done a really great job here and I agree on the monitor placement (I use a similar setup to yours). For me though I need that virtual mirror though.

Good to hear. I've recently bought a wheel, so am currently learning the finer arts of car control and MT, probably not the best time to be racing in the cockpit view.
Getting used to cockpit view is no big deal if you don't have principal problems with it like motion sickness. It takes a day or so. Just try it.

it's so restrictive in comparison to being in a real cockpit where you can see 3 mirrors and have a peripheral vision out of your side windows, can quickly glance etc.

This. Exactly this. The game looks WAY better in cockpit view, but you can't see anything out of it compared to a real cockpit, unless you've got a three-monitor setup. (which... is that even supported in GTS?)

I can sympathise with the OP.

I enjoy using cockpit view. I like the interiors, I like the similarities to real life driving. It’s my preferred view.

But yesterday I was trying to set a respectable time on the nordschleife circuit experience. So I felt forced to use bumpercam and countersteer assist.

Im sure it’s possible to get this time without using those. But (for me at least) its definitely much harder in cockpit cam. It’s just harder to see and hit the apexes... at times you genuinely can’t see the track because of the elevation changes!

Settled for a 6.28.8 in the end.

Last edited:
Ask anyone who's been to the 'ring, that's the reality of the place.

Keep in mind that for most peoples set-up and the default FOV (in any view) in GTS the elevation changes are actually less than they should be.

I dont have the same trouble when using cockpit view in VR though. VR allows me to have much better depth perception, I can move my head around to look round the pillars/over the bonnet, and because there is glass all around me I can see much more of the world.

Single monitor cockpit view is a little weird as there is a static 2D image of a dashboard covering up half the screen. I’d say it’s quite a long way from reality.

Édit: I guess it is what you would see in reality if you fixed your head still and wore blinkers on the side/top/bottom of your head and closed one eye. But that’s not what you actually do in reality.

Last edited:
I dont have the same trouble when using cockpit view in VR though. VR allows me to have much better depth perception, I can move my head around to look round the pillars/over the bonnet, and because there is glass all around me I can see much more of the world.
VR will always have the correct FOV. It has the advantage of the screen size and distance from your eyes both being known values.

Single monitor cockpit view is a little weird as there is a static 2D image of a dashboard covering up half the screen. I’d say it’s quite a long way from reality.

Édit: I guess it is what you would see in reality if you fixed your head still and wore blinkers on the side/top/bottom of your head and closed one eye. But that’s not what you actually do in reality.
Static depends on the title, with look to apex and look left and right options is not static. Add in world movement values, head movement, g-force movement and its not static at all (not every title is as limited at GTS is in these regards - not even close). Nor do any of the titles in which I can adjust FOV have half the screen covered in the dashboard (the amount of dash shown actually increases with a wider FOV, lower FOV values reduce it).

Having the wrong FOV is even more unrealistic, as you have no more control over the static (or not) nature of it, but you now have the added issue of elevation, corner radius, track width, vehicle positions and braking distances all being wrong!

Running VR is the best option, after that triple screen, then single, but with all of them the correct FOV is still needed unless you want distances, radius' etc to all be out.

Oh and in regard to "I guess it is what you would see in reality if you fixed your head still and wore blinkers on the side/top/bottom of your head and closed one eye.", have you ever been in a race spec car with a full harness and helmet with HANS? They kind of limit your body and head movement and ability to see in the periphery a lot (in this regard VR is unrealistic). As has been discussed previously, a lot of what gets seen in racing titles you don't actually see in reality, you compensate for it.

As for the dash filling 'half the screen', what F1 drivers (and many other formula cars) can see is pretty much just that.

Last edited:
Interesting to see the various reactions to this still - but there does seem to have been a massive misunderstanding of the post for some people.
All I said, was that it is a shame we don't have options in our own lobby's to force cockpit view so we can race like minded players.
That seems to have somehow got confused by some to mean I wanted to 'force' others to use my preferred view when they play the game, including sport mode (which I never mentioned).

Judging by the amount of feedback from people who do want more realistic settings, it would be a worthwhile addition to have these controls available to us. Furthermore, an expansion within the game for sport or FIA modes for cockpit only/realistic settings, in addition to what we already have, would be ideal, if the game is to appeal long term to everyone - then we would all be happy.

As it is right now, racing with the exterior views and with the slightly unrealistic handling, GT Sport feels like a high end arcade game to me. I know GT has been like that forever etc etc but things move on and there is room to make it a more realistic game for those of us who want that. It doesn't have to change anything for players who like the game the way it is.

VR will always have the correct FOV. It has the advantage of the screen size and distance from your eyes both being known values.

Static depends on the title, with look to apex and look left and right options is not static. Add in world movement values, head movement, g-force movement and its not static at all (not every title is as limited at GTS is in these regards - not even close). Nor do any of the titles in which I can adjust FOV have half the screen covered in the dashboard (the amount of dash shown actually increases with a wider FOV, lower FOV values reduce it).

Having the wrong FOV is even more unrealistic, as you have no more control over the static (or not) nature of it, but you now have the added issue of elevation, corner radius, track width, vehicle positions and braking distances all being wrong!

Running VR is the best option, after that triple screen, then single, but with all of them the correct FOV is still needed unless you want distances, radius' etc to all be out.

Oh and in regard to "I guess it is what you would see in reality if you fixed your head still and wore blinkers on the side/top/bottom of your head and closed one eye.", have you ever been in a race spec car with a full harness and helmet with HANS? They kind of limit your body and head movement and ability to see in the periphery a lot (in this regard VR is unrealistic). As has been discussed previously, a lot of what gets seen in racing titles you don't actually see in reality, you compensate for it.

As for the dash filling 'half the screen', what F1 drivers (and many other formula cars) can see is pretty much just that.

I’ve driven a Formula Renault in real life. And I was suprised how much I could see. You can definitely see a lot more than you are led to believe on the television or a computer game. I expect the peripheral vision / depth of image / ability to move around a bit make it feel a lot better.

And vr has a field of view of 110 degrees whereas real life we see more like 220 degrees. Don’t know what it would be inside a helmet, but vr probably does an ok job of replicating what you can see inside a helmet.

Either way, a single monitor setup feels 100 times more resteictied than real life.

I’ve driven a Formula Renault in real life.
As have I, I used to work for Renault, the seats for those drives are not custom fitted and are higher than for competition use.

This is a competitors view in a FR 3.5

And vr has a field of view of 110 degrees whereas real life we see more like 220 degrees. Don’t know what it would be inside a helmet, but vr probably does an ok job of replicating what you can see inside a helmet.

Either way, a single monitor setup feels 100 times more resteictied than real life.
Human eyes have a total field of vision of upto 220 degrees, but you certainly don't actively see all of that.

Anything wider than 120 degrees doesn't fully use both eyes and is not focused and will register as movement and not detail as we can't use both eyes past the 120 degree point on either side), the area we can focus on and also see detail in is limited to around 60 degrees, when we actively focus on something its down to around 4 to 8 degrees.

As such we don't 'see' 220 degrees, we actually 'see' around 60 degrees, and can only focus in detail on around 8 degrees at any time.

human-field-of-vision-showing-both-peripheral-vision-and-binocular-vision.jpg

http://www.newtonsapple.org.uk/human-vision/

This is what you then get when you track that 4 to 8 degrees that we can focus in detail on when driving a car.

As such as long as a single screen is correct in ratio and allows you to see the apex (via look to apex and reading the road well ahead) its perfectly usable and realistic.

Last edited:
As have I, I used to work for Renault, the seats for those drives are not custom fitted and are higher than for competition use.

This is a competitors view in a FR 3.5

Human eyes have a total field of vision of upto 220 degrees, but you certainly don't actively see all of that.

Anything wider than 120 degrees doesn't fully use both eyes and is not focused and will register as movement and not detail as we can't use both eyes past the 120 degree point on either side), the area we can focus on and also see detail in is limited to around 60 degrees, when we actively focus on something its down to around 4 to 8 degrees.

As such we don't 'see' 220 degrees, we actually 'see' around 60 degrees, and can only focus in detail on around 8 degrees at any time.

human-field-of-vision-showing-both-peripheral-vision-and-binocular-vision.jpg

http://www.newtonsapple.org.uk/human-vision/

This is what you then get when you track that 4 to 8 degrees that we can focus in detail on when driving a car.

As such as long as a single screen is correct in ratio and allows you to see the apex (via look to apex and reading the road well ahead) its perfectly usable and realistic.

It’s a little odd that the second video with the first ever eye level camera with eye tracking technology in f1 is completely different to the first video. I think that first video is misleading.

Also in the f1 video there are points where he is looking right at the edge of the screen. So imagine a new 220 degree image with that as the centre of vison, you’d be able to see so much more than what the single monitor is displaying.

I am not disagreeing that it is realistic. Its as realistic as a static 2D image with minimal field of view (up and down) can be. Which isn’t much :)

It’s a little odd that the second video with the first ever eye level camera with eye tracking technology in f1 is completely different to the first video. I think that first video is misleading.
Its actually due to the fact that Hulkenburg is absurdly tall for an F1 driver in the modern age (being over 6 foot), and doesn't fit in some cars...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/webber-hulkenberg-too-tall-for-ferrari/

...as such he's not the norm for eye level at all. di Grassi on the other hand is 5 cms shorter...

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en...ucas-di-grassi-south-americas-great-hope-3782

...however in all the videos I've posted you see the camera placement, and in the FR 3.5 one the driver himself has posted repeatedly in the comments that its accurate to what he sees!

I'm not sure why this always brings such a degree of surprise, having been in touring cars and open wheelers its quite clear that driver placement is as much about lowering and centralizing the centre of gravity as it is about what they can see. DTM cars are notorious for being driven from what would be in the road car the back seat, a side on profile look at F1 drivers shows they would not be able to see much more than the videos posted show. Just about the only time you get a better view is in series that mandate the seat placement (often due to homologation requirements).

Just trace a line from eye-level to the top of the tub and top of the tyre and its quite clear.

tumblr_mfcrieTJi61qbgrieo1_1280.jpg

Also in the f1 video there are points where he is looking right at the edge of the screen. So imagine a new 220 degree image with that as the centre of vison, you’d be able to see so much more than what the single monitor is displaying.
Not with look to apex you don't, and in reality he will be moving his head as well as his eyes as the human eye can only sharply focus on a 4 to 8 degree point in the centre of vision.

I am not disagreeing that it is realistic. Its as realistic as a static 2D image with minimal field of view (up and down) can be. Which isn’t much :)
Its far more that you are giving it credit for given how the human eye works (which is not 220 degrees, its 60 degrees at its most generous and it reality an 8 degree area of focus).

What VR and triples give you is a periphery, which adds to a sense of speed and allows you to see movement (not detail) outside of 60 degrees, and you are still limited to 4 to 8 degrees of clear focus and detail in the centre of your vision. As such you still need to move your eyes to focus on anything within the 60 degrees (which is close to the same limit as a well set-up single) or your head and eyes to see anything within around 120 degrees (as outside of that your helmet and HANS system is going to stop you.

What triples and VR give you more than anything is immersion, rather than an increase in accuracy (as long as they are all set up to ensure the FOV you have is 1:1).

Last edited:
Its actually due to the fact that Hulkenburg is absurdly tall for an F1 driver in the modern age (being over 6 foot), and doesn't fit in some cars...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/webber-hulkenberg-too-tall-for-ferrari/

...as such he's not the norm for eye level at all. di Grassi on the other hand is 5 cms shorter...

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en...ucas-di-grassi-south-americas-great-hope-3782

...however in all the videos I've posted you see the camera placement, and in the FR 3.5 one the driver himself has posted repeatedly in the comments that its accurate to what he sees!

I'm not sure why this always brings such a degree of surprise, having been in touring cars and open wheelers its quite clear that driver placement is as much about lowering and centralizing the centre of gravity as it is about what they can see. DTM cars are notorious for being driven from what would be in the road car the back seat, a side on profile look at F1 drivers shows they would not be able to see much more than the videos posted show. Just about the only time you get a better view is in series that mandate the seat placement (often due to homologation requirements).

Just trace a line from eye-level to the top of the tub and top of the tyre and its quite clear.

tumblr_mfcrieTJi61qbgrieo1_1280.jpg

Not with look to apex you don't, and in reality he will be moving his head as well as his eyes as the human eye can only sharply focus on a 4 to 8 degree point in the centre of vision.

Its far more that you are giving it credit for given how the human eye works (which is not 220 degrees, its 60 degrees at its most generous and it reality an 8 degree area of focus).

What VR and triples give you is a periphery, which adds to a sense of speed and allows you to see movement (not detail) outside of 60 degrees, and you are still limited to 4 to 8 degrees of clear focus and detail in the centre of your vision. As such you still need to move your eyes to focus on anything within the 60 degrees (which is close to the same limit as a well set-up single) or your head and eyes to see anything within around 120 degrees (as outside of that your helmet and HANS system is going to stop you.

What triples and VR give you more than anything is immersion, rather than an increase in accuracy (as long as they are all set up to ensure the FOV you have is 1:1).

I think it should be clear to anyone that he can see more than this!

He can’t even see the grass on the side of the track, let alone the track itself! Maybe he steers using the trees :)

The f1 video is much more sensible.

Attachments

• 93335680-0669-44FD-ACD7-0B8A3327227C.png
    93335680-0669-44FD-ACD7-0B8A3327227C.png
    101.4 KB · Views: 22
Back