Purists racing in cockpit view vs exterior views

• Thread starter Paulzx
  • 346 comments
Don't tell them you drive on the right (or left).

I presume the purists also don't use hybrids :)

One more bow :bowdown:

I've used bumper since GT2, so I can say the same for chase cam :lol:

Well, thanks :embarrassed: Just hope I can do it again QUICKLY tonight, so I can cram some decent races in.

Exactly... it's just whatever you are used to. I like to be able to see the car so that's the view I use.

If I do any GT League I use cockpit :)

Chase cam can give you a longer view distance simply because of the fact the camera is like 10 foot off the ground.

Can you see the hood of your car? No. So you actually don’t have better front view in close racing. Wow you might be able to see something slightly clearer way in the distance. But that’s useless relative to seeing the car directly in front of you.

It also gives you better side and rear quarter situational awareness. If you're in cockpit you rely on that GTS red blind spot meter or that huge radar overlay in Forza.

This I agree with regarding side view. Cockpit you actually have pretty decent peripheral though and I have zero issue seeing anyone on my side. Combine that with watching mirrors to know when someone is attempting a pass, it’s a non issue and I don’t even use the red blind spot.

Chase cam helps immensely in drift since you can see what angle the car is, thankfully drift isnt a huge part of GTS.

Sure......incredibly unrealistic but ok.

Also look at it like this... if you're in a car on the race track, you're almost always in a full face helmet. Think about how much you may lose front peripheral vision in that case.

GTS could probably take a leaf from Forza in making some leagues cockpit only or chase only etc. to appease
everyone.

That kinda proves my point.....

So, you use chase cam, right?

Hah never, not even in the original GT, prior to cockpit I was bumper cam only. Now I use mostly cockpit unless the cockpit is really bad. For instance the Hurrican Gr4 has no rear mirror so cockpit is useless in a race.

Complete rubbish.

I know exactly where the front of my car is.
And the many people I follow at speed lap after lap within a few feet of their rear bumper would testify to that fact.

What you just said is the definition of complete rubbish.

Can you see the hood of your car yes or no? The answer is no which means I have a vastly superior vantage point in regards to cars in front of me which means I can get much much closer without making contact. This is a FACT. Arguing against this fact is delusional.

You might be able to race reasonably clean with chase cam. But you’ll never be able to consistently follow someone like those of us using bumper/cockpit. Stop fooling yourself.

Last edited:
Can you see the hood of your car? No.

But you can. Just change the angle settings for the chase cam view and you can look downward onto the car seeing the hood.

Hey, I would like to drive in the cockpit view but the lack of good head controls or automated head turning towards the apex makes it too frustrating for me.

I swear up and down I’m faster lounging on a sofa 20 feet away from my TV using chase cam with a controller versus using cockpit view on my rig with a steering wheel. But that’s just me, and especially when hot lapping.

It comes down to FOV management and what works best for you.

When it comes to racing, I have to agree that using chase cam can make you prone to bumping cars ahead of you. I’ll take the ‘more realistic’ cockpit view blind spots rather than a large front-end blind spot.

Hey, I would like to drive in the cockpit view but the lack of good head controls or automated head turning towards the apex makes it too frustrating for me.

This is a good point. I do miss the apex perhaps more on LHD cars as I live in an RHD country.

I'm also the sort that looks out the drivers side window to better place the car in real life.

That's gone in cockpit view. Be that as it may, I feel that's a part of an imperfect simulation where you dont get feedback thru your backside or any side G forces.

In chase, your car placement should be perfect.

You also can't see the bonnet on bumper cam which is what most people use.

Why do you have such an issue with it anyway?

There is no bumper in bumper cam.

It’s called bumper cam because you are essentially sitting on the bumper. Don’t be daft.

You can’t see the bumper, but you can see directly in front of the bumper which is still superior to chase cam when following the lead car.

You honestly just sounded ridiculous

But you can. Just change the angle settings for the chase cam view and you can look downward onto the car seeing the hood.

Not enough to see the bumper even remotely close to the vision provided both cockpit and bumper cam.

To be able to see a comparable view you would need to have a drastic angle which would then limit your view of the distance. Sorry there’s no world where the chase cam offers a better front view.

If it isn't bumper cam (which to be fair 90% of us all refer it to be, except "purists"). THEN WTF IS IT CALLED THEN mr purist expert?

It’s called bumper cam because you are essentially sitting on the bumper. Don’t be daft.

You can’t see the bumper, but you can see directly in front of the bumper which is still superior to chase cam when following the lead car.

There are plenty of videos on here of people complaining that they were given penalties for contact when they "didn't" make contact... because the bumper is actually way ahead of the camera.

Pace wise i dont think it makes much of a difference its just what youre used to. The lack of rear mirror is a disadvantage though. If they finally added a virtual mirror to all views i'd might switch back.
I am using the "look back" button, but there are big differences. Most cars with a rear view camera offer an unrestricted view except the WRX Gr. 3. On the other hand, my favourite Gr. 3 car which is the AMG GT3 has an utterly useless rear view, you can't see anything but the car interior. The mirrors are ok though so not a big problem.
For instance the Hurrican Gr4 has no rear mirror so cockpit is useless in a race.
s. above, using the "look back" button works (while not being "realistic").
Can you see the hood of your car yes or no? The answer is no which means I have a vastly superior vantage point in regards to cars in front of me which means I can get much much closer without making contact.
I don't always find following closely easy in cockpit view because the car in front can severely block my brake markers (not using cones, so I am talking about my personal marker points).

Not enough to see the bumper even remotely close to the vision provided both cockpit and bumper cam.

To be able to see a comparable view you would need to have a drastic angle which would then limit your view of the distance. Sorry there’s no world where the chase cam offers a better front view.

Its a mid engine bay cam... Doesn't have the same ring to it as bumper cam tho...

The lack of head turning in cockpit and the small constricted view it offers with no meaningful rearview mirror keeps me in bumper cam. Plus nothing offers the sense if speed and places the HUD in the middle off the screen like bumper cam

Chase cam shows you your blind spots better than any other view. Helps spacial awareness in close driving situations

There are plenty of videos on here of people complaining that they were given penalties for contact when they "didn't" make contact... because the bumper is actually way ahead of the camera.

The bumper is slightly too far ahead IMO with bumper cam, but you still have a clearer view of the lead car.

The best for gauging distance is cockpit though. Which is why I use it. I’ve had 10+ races with zero incidents(in a row). I think since buying GT I’ve accrued maybe 5-6 penalties TOTAL and half of those were from a guy spinning and hitting me.

Some guys with chase cam might be able to do a decent lap, but still not on pace with the top, and I question their ability to consistently hit that time, especially in a race without making any contact at all.

My SR has been S since the start and never dropped. My laps are usually within 2 tenths of my fastest lap which is usually within a second of the top time, and considering I maybe play 1-2hrs per week I’m content with that time knowing most of the top times are from guys willing to put in a lot of time.

Chase cam.....might as well be racing RC cars.

Last edited:
I don't always find following closely easy in cockpit view because the car in front can severely block my brake markers (not using cones, so I am talking about my personal marker points).

The look back button is tricky with my wheel. I couldn’t reliably do it without it being a distraction under braking so I caved and switched to bumper for it.

Its a mid engine bay cam... Doesn't have the same ring to it as bumper cam tho...

The lack of head turning in cockpit and the small constricted view it offers with no meaningful rearview mirror keeps me in bumper cam. Plus nothing offers the sense if speed and places the HUD in the middle off the screen like bumper cam

Chase cam shows you your blind spots better than any other view. Helps spacial awareness in close driving situations

Yeah too many words with mid engine bay cam

I do agree on sense of speed. There’s things I like about bumper, and I think I’m a little faster with it vs cockpit for hot laps. But in a race I find myself more consistent with cockpit in close races, especially cars that have lots of oversteer. You get a better idea of when the car is rotating, bumper cam there is a delay in that sensation due to the pendulum effect.

I agree regarding the rear 1/4 chase does have that advantage. But I think it dissolves once really close and you have a harder time judging a tiny distance. IE I have an easier time getting side by side (not when he’s at my rear 1/4) with cockpit since I can judge the tiny distance better as I’m closer.

Last edited:
The bumper is slightly too far ahead IMO with bumper cam, but you still have a clearer view of the lead car.

The best for gauging distance is cockpit though. Which is why I use it. I’ve had 10+ races with zero incidents. I think since buying GT I’ve accrued maybe 5-6 penalties TOTAL and half of those were from a guy spinning and hitting me.

Some guys with chase cam might be able to do a decent lap, but still not on pace with the top, and I question their ability to consistently hit that time, especially in a race without making any contact at all.

My SR has been S since the start and never dropped. My laps are usually within 2 tenths of my fastest lap which is usually within a second of the top time, and considering I maybe play 1-2hrs per week I’m content with that time knowing most of the top times are from guys willing to put in a lot of time.

Chase cam.....might as well be racing RC cars.

You are making an awful lot of assumptions and casting a lot of aspersions on those who use chase cam. Why does it bother you so much?

My SR has been S since the start and never dropped.

Such a shame you've only got to 99 once though, eh...

The look back button is tricky with my wheel. I couldn’t reliably do it without it being a distraction under braking so I caved and switched to bumper for it.
You are making an awful lot of assumptions and casting a lot of aspersions on those who use chase cam. Why does it bother you so much?

Such a shame you've only got to 99 once though, eh...

Please enlighten us then regarding the assumptions. If you’re gonna reply you might as well have some substance.

99?

Please enlighten us then regarding the assumptions. If you’re gonna reply you might as well have some substance.

Well, you have asserted that:

"guys with chase cam might be able to do a decent lap, but still not on pace with the top, and I question their ability to consistently hit that time, especially in a race without making any contact at all."

How can you make this assumption? It's made up crap.

You also say that "My laps are usually within 2 tenths of my fastest lap which is usually within a second of the top time, and considering I maybe play 1-2hrs per week I’m content with that time knowing most of the top times are from guys willing to put in a lot of time."

So how come, if you are nearly as good as the top guys, you only have 9 wins in 30 races? And those have only come in ranks D, C and B?

Max SR points. You've only hit it once.

Well, you have asserted that:

"guys with chase cam might be able to do a decent lap, but still not on pace with the top, and I question their ability to consistently hit that time, especially in a race without making any contact at all."

How can you make this assumption? It's made up crap.

You also say that "My laps are usually within 2 tenths of my fastest lap which is usually within a second of the top time, and considering I maybe play 1-2hrs per week I’m content with that time knowing most of the top times are from guys willing to put in a lot of time."

So how come, if you are nearly as good as the top guys, you only have 9 wins in 30 races? And those have only come in ranks D, C and B?

Max SR points. You've only hit it once.

Show me avtop time using chase cam. I’ll be waiting right here. So far the only chase cams presented have been 1-2 seconds off the pace. If it truly offered a superior view then the times should reflect that. They don’t. Try again.

Did you miss the part where I almost never play? I get in maybe 1-3hrs per week. Not exactly great for points and doesn’t actually help your argument but nice red herring.

SR as EVERYONE acknowledges is an imperfect system. Plus we all start low, so considering how little I play and how few races I’ve done, my actual stats are pretty solid and I had 3 wins last week in DR B SR S. 3 wins in 3 races.

Yeah some guys might have more wins, but they also have a lot more races. You’re argument is invalid.

Did you miss the part where I almost never play? I get in maybe 1-3hrs per week. Not exactly great for points and doesn’t actually help your argument but nice red herring.
Regardless, if you are 1 second off the top 10 you would be getting poles in DR A. As it is, you have 7 poles in ranks D, C and B. So you are lying about how fast cockpit cam makes you. Also, clean drivers get to 99 SR on day 1 and don't move after that.....

And, you haven't answered my question about your assumptions regarding chase cam drivers......

Show me avtop time using chase cam. I’ll be waiting right here. So far the only chase cams presented have been 1-2 seconds off the pace. If it truly offered a superior view then the times should reflect that. They don’t. Try again.

SR as EVERYONE acknowledges is an imperfect system. Plus we all start low, so considering how little I play and how few races I’ve done, my actual stats are pretty solid and I had 3 wins last week in DR B SR S. 3 wins in 3 races.

Yeah some guys might have more wins, but they also have a lot more races. You’re argument is invalid.

What are you on? There is NO SUPERIOR VIEW. The "superior" view is the one you are strongest with. Whether its bumper, bonnet, chase or in car.

Regardless, if you are 1 second off the top 10 you would be getting poles in DR A. As it is, you have 7 poles in ranks D, C and B. So you are lying about how fast cockpit cam makes you. Also, clean drivers get to 99 SR on day 1 and don't move after that.....

And, you haven't answered my question about your assumptions regarding chase cam drivers......

Again, the SR rating benefits those who have time to race more. Look at how little I’ve driven relative to the others. Do you understand statistics? So I have a 30% win rate, and the rest of my positions have almost always been in the top 3, only a few races outside of the top 3 and for those I got hit so shrug.

You still haven’t shown me a chase cam top time .....

What are you on? There is NO SUPERIOR VIEW. The "superior" view is the one you are strongest with. Whether its bumper, bonnet, chase or in car.

Keep telling yourself that.

Again, the SR rating benefits those who have time to race more. Look at how little I’ve driven relative to the others. Do you understand statistics? So I have a 30% win rate, and the rest of my positions have almost always been in the top 3, only a few races outside of the top 3 and for those I got hit so shrug.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hey, if you want a chase cam top time, check this out ;)
I have all assists on as well, so if you beat it, I may fancy redoing it without them :)

You are actually mental. Why is it such a big deal to you? Great, cockpit view may be what you like... others like bumper and others like chase. Deal with it ffs.

Did I say I had a problem with bumper? Nope. I don’t think it’s as realistic imo but it’s not bad and close enough. I’d prefer everyone in cockpit but I won’t knock someone for using bumper.

Also forgot to add, my first few weeks with GTS my brake pedal wasn’t working with my fanatec. I had no ability to threshold brake consistently, which hurt my times significantly. Took apart my clubsports and the original foam was crushed/mushroomed. Replaced it with a poly rod, made some tweaks and dropped an instant second off my times at Interlagos. Which is why the past few weeks I’ve been much closer to the top compared to initial few weeks. On top of which those first few weeks racing in the lower SR/DR classes were a crap shoot with drivers being idiots. Once you escape that destruction derby it’s great racing in the higher classes and not constantly worried some clown is going to pull a Maldonado.

Stats.....how do they work

Red Flags i noted with OP
1. Cockpit View in GTS Sucks
2. (& im not quastioning your ability here) I know many pepole who drive in cockpit & are on the top of the lederboards so you might need to improve.
3. Lobby option to inforce basiclly cockpit view ? ..... Man talk about being elitist.... , give more rewards to those who only use this view? so promoting favoritism as well i see.
4. The way it should be played ? You mean the way pepole like you think should be played , now im not having a problem with that is your opinion after all but when you are saying the game devs should force everyone thats another story , because pepole like me bought a PS4 for this game & along with 1 Year PS+ Membership i ended up giving 450€/$ for it & i sure as hell want to play it like i want , now i would like to bring up the example you gave with those F1 Games fair enough but how many bought them?? sure not as many as GT .
Not to mention that every view alter the Car's movement but apparently thats not an issue for use (Since its totally realistic Cough Cough) so my answer to the "Exterior view is easyer" statement is a big FALSE bumper view is especialy difficult imo , & The biggest issues with this is that the road in real live is not a faw inches big , i have 35 inch TV but whille driving in cockpit view its probably less than half of it so let say 17 inches how many monitors do you need to make it as big? lets say 20 now if a monitor costs at least 100€/$ you need 2000€/$ in total . so for someone new who just starting he will need 400€/$ for the console , 60 for the game , 60 to play online , 300 for a good wheel '& 2000 for the monitors so in total 2.820 €/$ & like at least 4 months of no enjoyment because he has to learm who to play Properly Bravo thats the way to bring new customer's to buy your product........ what its a parent of a little kid who just want to race even with the AI & stsrt learning about cars? ah sorry jimmy we can't buy you this cool game you really want because in order to play it properly we have to pay at least 2000€/$ cause a group of realist's cockpit view lovers say so?
5. Last but not least most of want became racing drivers in real life because of the resson's above.

Against Ds and Cs. Bless.

Statistics aren’t your strong suit eh. Few of those were D/C, rest have been A/B. Again statistics.....how do they work.

Also just looked at the stats page, it’s not up to date, missing the last two weeks which I’ve been racing more, and is also when I fixed my brake pedal.

And if you think my “brake” pedal is a made up excuse I’m happy to share photos of the repair.

Last edited:
Back