Q&A with Slightly Mad Studios: Ian Bell [Read OP]

• Thread starter Kitten
  • 3,687 comments
Additionally, if you do not hit your marks correctly your team will need to reposition your car and that will add a little time.
Hallelujah! C'mon, SMS. This adds to, rather confirms, my theory about wet and different surfaces in the pit lane. Purely bonkers!

I agree that telemetry comparisons and testimonies from professional drivers don't exactly prove anything. But I agree with @nrosko that it would be good for SMS to elaborate upon details of the physics and various simulations, not to convince the skeptics, but for people who would want to know about those things but have not been following the game closely like we do in this forum. I don't think many people knew how much PCARS1 had going on under the hood.

I think it would be great to have a brief video showing off some of the details like the atmospheric modelling and volumetric throttle simulation, or an overview of all the components that track temperature and wear. Particularly the things that are uncommon or unprecedented among sims, like parts of LiveTrack 3.0 and the dynamic surfaces.

If SMS had the resources to do a real life comparison video like Enthusia's Data Comparison trailer, that could be nifty too.

No,no and no. People that have followed the game since release,know about Apps from the official forum.http://www.projectcarsgame.com/apps.html

Ian, can you tell us more about the GTPro and GTAm classes shown in the broadcasting teaser?
I would be happy if you could only confirm it wasn't just a placeholder without features behind it.. ;)

Wait. Didn't realise manual pitstops were in game. Great!
We didn't mention that yet? Yeah man, I mean forget the car and track list (which will be amazing)...the amount of features we're packing into this game...unprecedented for the console world. The challenge will be to make it all bug-free of course but we got a large testing period saved for the final months of the game and we got some more paid/professional QA on board this time.

Will the organizer of online championships be able to hand-pick all of the allowed cars? Even for multi-class? Looking at PCARS 1 for example the 2011 Audi R18 TDI and the 2014 Audi R18 e-tron quattro never raced together. The first one raced in LMP1 class, the second in LMP1-H when the LMP1 class was split into hybrid and non-hybrid from 2014 onward. Yet in PC1 they are both just in LMP1 prototype category (which is understandable since there are only a handful of LMP1 & LMP1-H cars in the game).

But it would be nice if a race/championship director could handpick which cars are allowed, or allow entire classes if he wants to do so.

EDIT - also, can a championship director/organizer limit the maximum amount of cars for 1 specific model? Let's say I want to organize a GT3 championship and let's say the game has 10 different types of GT3 cars, to keep it fun and diversified, could I for example say that for a 24-car race there can be maximum 3 cars of one type? (e.g. max 3 times 2016 Mercedes-AMG GT3 cars)
1. No to individual car selections
2. Yes to car classes
3. No to max car counts but I think at least all vehicles need to pick a unique livery so there should not be any confusion who's who on the track

@IanBell or @The_American

Speaking of telemetry.... It was mentioned and confirmed earlier that 3rd party apps would still be supported via UDP. One of the small complaints I have had with regards to Project CARS and the UDP data is the lack of available Car Performance data in the telemetry feeds. Specifically, information regarding Ride Height, Suspension Movements, etc. All of the data needed to be able to tune the car.

Will there be more information sent to the UDP stream in Project CARS 2? Post session data analysis of the car's performance is as critical to effective tuning as the lap time and feel of the car is.
Yeah, we're collecting UDP and other API ideas if you got access to the WMD forum

We didn't mention that yet? Yeah man, I mean forget the car and track list (which will be amazing)...the amount of features we're packing into this game...unprecedented for the console world. The challenge will be to make it all bug-free of course but we got a large testing period saved for the final months of the game and we got some more paid/professional QA on board this time.
I think somebody did mention it a few days/weeks ago but didn't realise it at the time. #RollOnSeptemberish

2. Yes to car classes
3. No to max car counts but I think at least all vehicles need to pick a unique livery so there should not be any confusion who's who on the track

Yeah, we're collecting UDP and other API ideas if you got access to the WMD forum

The challenge will be to make it all bug-free of course but we got a large testing period saved for the final months of the game and
Is this for the consoles also ? PC1 had no outside Q&A testers

I wouldn't be surprised if I was told that even (and especially) professional simulators doesn't simulate correctly sand pit. Those sims are mostly used to test car parts/setting effectivement, or to train a driver. There is no use to do those things in the sand pit, so I suppose the driver ask for respawn on the track if that happen, or that the sand pit doesn't stop cars completely.

Also, although Ian said it could be a 5 minutes thing to "implement", that's just probably just for the car getting stuck, physic wise. I'm sure that if SMS was to go that way, they would do it right with the car visually getting stuck, which wouldn't be a 5 minute thing.

Frankly, I support the team decision on this one.

To be honest, I don't know what a professional simulator simulates or not. I agree though that the priorities differ, however, you don't want a driver to get overconfident either due to sim training and end up in the gravel trap just because he forgot he could get stuck and doesn't fear them anymore as such.
Than again... it's guess work as I am just a poor soul that never had anything to do with motorsport before apart from watching it on television or at TT Assen (my local track).

If the car gets stuck physics wise it gets stuck visually though. If you mean that you want a visually dynamic deforming gravel trap... yeah, that's totally different tech but tech that would be hooked up to the physics knowing SMS.

I don't support the decision but I understand why the decision was made. To be honest I prefer to have realistic gravel traps. I haven't started sim racing because I wanted to have a joyful experience, I got into this because I wanted to have a challenge that I otherwise wouldn't be able to experience by simulating what those awesome professional drivers out there experience.
It was thus a silent hope of mine that the quest for realism would be ultimate for Project CARS as I first joined WMD, but now I understand that some compromises have to be made in order to sell a game enough so that another sequel can be made. With which many more improvements can come with new and better tech on all levels of game development. So in short... realism had to be compromised for the desires of the masses (what they want in a game). Understandable but it still makes me a little sad, and this is why I understand it but don't support it. I much rather see it be an option for those that desire a more realistic approach to 'gaming'. :)

2. Yes to car classes

Sadly I don't have WMD forum access. My main request is that car performance data be made available to external telemetry apps. I know that currently it is available in game but it's hard to properly monitor that while also attemtping to lay down clean and consistent laps. Having it reviewable in an external app or an in game tool would be ideal for tuning.

Do we know if a track's real world location will limit what sort of weather phenomena will occur in the game?
ie. Could we see snow on a track in Australia in Project Cars 2?

@IanBell Two questions:

1) Will AI have different strategies among each other to go with the varied track conditions (i.e. will some be on intermediates vs wets or soft slick vs hard slick)?

2) Can AI note have an optional longer gearing/lower downforce for tracks like Monza and Le Mans?

Do we know if a track's real world location will limit what sort of weather phenomena will occur in the game?

Are you saying it doesn't snow in Australia? Because if so, here's a photo of the Mt. Panorama circuit in winter:
mountpanorama.jpg

No,no and no. People that have followed the game since release,know about Apps from the official forum.http://www.projectcarsgame.com/apps.html
Why does getting the word out about the depth of the simulation in PCARS2 warrant a reply of, "No, no and no"...? My point was to make that information known beyond the small circle of people who have already followed the development of PCARS and PCARS2. With all the work that has gone into various details in the game, I think those details deserve a spotlight so it's clear what all goes on behind the scenes in the PCARS2 engine. That's a suggestion for SMS. @IanBell @The_American

And I don't have a smartphone, so those apps are meaningless to me.

From what I read so far, weather is limited to what is possible at each location (winter in the desert doesn't means snow).

Sadly I don't have WMD forum access. My main request is that car performance data be made available to external telemetry apps. I know that currently it is available in game but it's hard to properly monitor that while also attemtping to lay down clean and consistent laps. Having it reviewable in an external app or an in game tool would be ideal for tuning.

isn't there a telemetry app that accepts data from consoles by UDP.
http://vrhive.co.uk/

Back