Q&A with Slightly Mad Studios: Ian Bell [Read OP]

• Thread starter Kitten
  • 3,687 comments
Will it be possible to handicap a car so it can equalise the field. This was talked about on the pcars1 forums of being useful as some cars are from different years?

We will do everything that the 1st parties allow us to do. We maintain a 'generic' mode that 'should' help us skirt politics but we're limited by 1st party TCR acceptance and firmware limitations beyond our control.

Speaking on that and other offline questions.
1. Have you or anyone at your workplace stumble upon the crew manager app for the PC1 that was availble on the play store and i believe the app store and thought of using that app as well as an option for an alternative stig.

2. Im an avid offline player and love the options of having offline championships. My questions are will there be A. Safety Cars B. A way to select which cars on track you want so multiclass racing can be the way it is in real life [this was my most asked question for PC1] or atleast a way to select multiclass then which classes and how many classes you want sinced i peeped in the gameplay trailers that you have the ending results screen show the classes more better.

3. last question will pitstops be animated finally[not to rush you guys or anything like that] Ever since gran turismo its one of the things i miss in racing games and when i switched to Project Cars i was very optimistic of the game. Love the game and i hope the best for PC2. im definitely preordering this game and thank you for your time to answer these questions.

I threw this down at the wishlist thread, but I see Ian is quite active on this thread and thought it might be worth mentioning here...

I'd like to see an online track day for any track in the game where the time and weather simulates the actual real time and weather of the track at current. using accuweather or something like that. for example, right now, as i write this, in catalunya, its 1am, 13C, 10% precipitation, 76% humidity and 11km/h SW wind. I'd love to drive there right now. Players could come and go as they pleased.

Also, I play on PS4 and I would really like the ability to save more than just 1 car setup...

Cheers

PCars 1 has this for PC only. I don't remember why, but Microsoft and Sony prevented this feature for console.

Speaking on that and other offline questions.
1. Have you or anyone at your workplace stumble upon the crew manager app for the PC1 that was availble on the play store and i believe the app store and thought of using that app as well as an option for an alternative stig.

2. Im an avid offline player and love the options of having offline championships. My questions are will there be A. Safety Cars B. A way to select which cars on track you want so multiclass racing can be the way it is in real life [this was my most asked question for PC1] or atleast a way to select multiclass then which classes and how many classes you want sinced i peeped in the gameplay trailers that you have the ending results screen show the classes more better.

3. last question will pitstops be animated finally[not to rush you guys or anything like that] Ever since gran turismo its one of the things i miss in racing games and when i switched to Project Cars i was very optimistic of the game. Love the game and i hope the best for PC2. im definitely preordering this game and thank you for your time to answer these questions.

1. I'm fairly sure they've noticed and applied some of it to the game.

2a) Don't know.

2b) @The_American said he was testing a LMP1/2/GTE/GT3 race a few days ago. Apparently up to 4 classes according to him.

3) We've seen them working on it in patch notes. Whether they do, I don't know.

QUESTION ABOUT: reputation control based on driving style.

I know that playing in leagues eSport is the ideal place but I am hopeful that reputation control will do the miracle in public lobbies.

Maybe there is an explanation somewhere, if anyone can show the way, I thank you.

Ian, keep up the great work.

sry my english

QUESTION ABOUT: reputation style control system based on driving style.

I know that playing in eSports leagues is the ideal place but I am hopeful that reputation control will do the miracle.

Maybe there is an explanation somewhere, if anyone can show the way, I thank you.

Ian, keep up the great work.
http://www.projectcarsgame.com/esports.html

Section about the Competitive Racing License that outlines what the 3 sections mean. Seniority, Racecraft and Success.

One more question about NASCAR. Even the Caper (a fake NASCAR) is not guarantee to make it too pcars2? Y'all said it's something to do with licensing issues when it comes to the real NASCAR's and yea I can understand that I guess. But the fake NASCAR is hard to get in pcars2 as well?

Hi Ian,
you have plans for Scorpio? how much difference there will be between the standard xbox one and scorpio?
if you can give us some more information about it.
I'm thinking of buying Scorpio, but clearly I must have a good reason to buy it.

Are you one of the devs?
If not why do you feel to reply to my questions?

They are for Ian not for you ;)
I personally don´t care at all what you are thinking about my questions or suggestions.
Well for starters, why would pCARS 2 have some kind of in game currency? It's a sim racing game and it's already been said that all cars are unlocked from the start.

Second of all why would there be an XP system when you have an in game racing license? No wonder why Jake said what he said, I don't blame him..

Are you one of the devs?
If not why do you feel to reply to my questions?

They are for Ian not for you ;)
I personally don´t care at all what you are thinking about my questions or suggestions.

Then stop asking the same silly questions over and over again when they have all been answered already many times over both directly and indirectly.

I have seen your post pasted in at least 4 times now between this thread and the other one.

A piece of advice..... Try reading ALL the posts and you might actually learn something and realize that all of your questions have been answered. How many times does "no grinding required" or "all features unlocked day 1" or "no need to earn credits" need to be stated before you get the point?

All @jake2013guy did was state what most of us here are already feeling and thinking.

Your questions have been answered. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean you can keep.pasting the same questions again and again. The answers won't change......

Then stop asking the same silly questions over and over again when they have all been answered already many times over both directly and indirectly.

I have seen your post pasted in at least 4 times now between this thread and the other one.

A piece of advice..... Try reading ALL the posts and you might actually learn something and realize that all of your questions have been answered. How many times does "no grinding required" or "all features unlocked day 1" or "no need to earn credits" need to be stated before you get the point?

All @jake2013guy did was state what most of us here are already feeling and thinking.

Your questions have been answered. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean you can keep.pasting the same questions again and again. The answers won't change......
Exactly. It's a thread so unique questions can be answered. If they're already answered, what's the point of any dev answering them for the millionth time?

If you had a look, i'm not answering questions that there's been no information on because I want to know as well. It's just a case of reading the thread.

Exactly. It's a thread so unique questions can be answered. If they're already answered, what's the point of any dev answering them for the millionth time?
But...but...iRacing has in-game currency and "XP"!!! Why can't Project CARS 2?

:lol::lol::lol:

But...but...iRacing has in-game currency and "XP"!!! Why can't Project CARS 2?

:lol::lol::lol:

Well, if you are going to use THAT example, then by THAT definition so will Project CARS 2 in the form of DLCs and the Competition License :lol::lol::lol::lol:

As quoted from the Project CARS official website:

"Your Competitive Racing License is used in matchmaking in order to place you into games with players of similar competitiveness and professionalism. And you can also use it as a minimum requirement when making your own games.

It should be every player's aspiration therefore to own a high-ranking Competitive Racing License as it will allow them to play with the best of the best, and gain them entry to the most prestigious Esports events.
"

As I said before..... a little bit of reading goes a long way to answering questions....... Hell, you don't even have to READ. Just LISTEN to one of the NUMEROUS Andy Tudor interviews..... You know, Andy Tudor, CREATIVE DIRECTOR at SMS..... He has stated in EVERY ONE OF THEM that there will be NO GRINDING!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I think we can officially put THIS item to be now.

Moving on.........

Hi Ian,
you have plans for Scorpio? how much difference there will be between the standard xbox one and scorpio?
I'm thinking of buying Scorpio, but clearly I must have a good reason to buy it.
I don't think you'll get even a sniff of information regarding the Scorpio until Microsoft officially unveil it, probably at E3. Then I've no doubt your questions will be answered.

Hi Ian,

They don't know. Like Bleeder said, that thing isn't evne out yet. Besides, I'd save the money and buy a decent pc if I were you. :)

Hi Ian, I really liked the idea of you using realistic car number plates on most road cars and some track cars in Pcars1.

MP1NWC2-KYIAAAYAA_plate.jpeg

Is this something that can be modified in the menus before a race i.e replace WMD 2016 with our own tag/name or numbers..This would look good on replays and any photos to keep. Something similar to NFS/ForzaHorizon3 but with a more realistic logo feel to match the country you are from. Is this possible without too much hassle as this would look great or is this a fixed plate for advertising WMD etc?

I am enjoying all the community feedback and I have learnt quite a bit more about the game now and really looking forward to it.

Hi Ian, I really liked the idea of you using realistic car number plates on most road cars and some track cars in Pcars1.

View attachment 628623

Is this something that can be modified in the menus before a race i.e replace WMD 2016 with our own tag/name or numbers..This would look good on replays and any photos to keep. Something similar to NFS/ForzaHorizon3 but with a more realistic logo feel to match the country you are from. Is this possible without too much hassle as this would look great or is this a fixed plate for advertising WMD etc?

I am enjoying all the community feedback and I have learnt quite a bit more about the game now and really looking forward to it.

Actually I recall asking for this a long time back. To be honest I think we've forgotten to do it again.

Question about instrumentation. Best feature I love in PC1, is cycling the MoTec LCD. seeing as how many modern high performance road cars have changeable instrumentation. Will we be able to do that in game? I mean, PD helped Nissan develop the screen in the R35 GT-R(and wasted it by not utilizing it in game). If not, how much processing would it take to include such a feature?

Well, if you are going to use THAT example, then by THAT definition so will Project CARS 2 in the form of DLCs and the Competition License :lol::lol::lol::lol:

As quoted from the Project CARS official website:

"Your Competitive Racing License is used in matchmaking in order to place you into games with players of similar competitiveness and professionalism. And you can also use it as a minimum requirement when making your own games.

It should be every player's aspiration therefore to own a high-ranking Competitive Racing License as it will allow them to play with the best of the best, and gain them entry to the most prestigious Esports events.
"

As I said before..... a little bit of reading goes a long way to answering questions....... Hell, you don't even have to READ. Just LISTEN to one of the NUMEROUS Andy Tudor interviews..... You know, Andy Tudor, CREATIVE DIRECTOR at SMS..... He has stated in EVERY ONE OF THEM that there will be NO GRINDING!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I think we can officially put THIS item to be now.

Moving on.........
I had hoped it was plainly obvious that I speaking fluent sarcasm. ;)

Goes to show that serious sims (all of them) aren't that serious, they do draw gaming lines so to speak. I guess this is one of the areas where professional simulators of race teams differ from our consumer pleasures.
I wouldn't be surprised if I was told that even (and especially) professional simulators doesn't simulate correctly sand pit. Those sims are mostly used to test car parts/setting effectivement, or to train a driver. There is no use to do those things in the sand pit, so I suppose the driver ask for respawn on the track if that happen, or that the sand pit doesn't stop cars completely.

Also, although Ian said it could be a 5 minutes thing to "implement", that's just probably just for the car getting stuck, physic wise. I'm sure that if SMS was to go that way, they would do it right with the car visually getting stuck, which wouldn't be a 5 minute thing.

Frankly, I support the team decision on this one.

Ian let me wholeheartedly tell you that I am so grateful that you guys understand that a good game doesn't need 500+ generic cars but instead we want a LOT of tracks and 100+ quality cars. With over 60+ locations you guys nailed it, I'm so happy more developer resources have been dedicated to adding more tracks instead of more cars. That 60+ location part of your marketing strategy is one of the major things that sells the game for me.

For XBox racing games/sims I can quickly summarize how many different locations the competition has since I have all that info in a niftly spreadsheet. Here it goes :

Assetto Corsa: 13 locations (DLC ongoing)
Forza 5: 17 locations (post DLC)
F1 2016: 21 locations (post DLC)
Forza 6: 28 locations (post DLC)
Project CARS : 35 locations (post DLC) (*)
Project CARS 2 : 60+ locations (pre-DLC)

You guys got it spot on and for sure are heading in the right direction!

(*) disclaimer: Spa & Greenwood are 1 location! :D
Despite not being an XBox owner, I was seriously disappointed by the direction Turn10 took on the latest Forza. 17 tracks in F5 was kind of understandable because the game was a launch title, but seriously, with their team and budget, how could they only offer 28 tracks for the sequel.

If you want to add racing games also on Playstation platforms :
GRID Autosport : 28 Locations (post DLC)
GT5 : 31 locations (post DLC)
GT6 : 42 Locations (sorry but I won't count the moon as a racing location ... especially that)

As for the location count, I'm more interested in how many different tracks (in the meaning of "not sharing an inch of tarmac with another one", which still exclude variations) a game has than the number of environments (locations).
For example, Horse Thief Mile and Willow Spring may be in the same location, but are completely different tracks. The same could be said from some kart tracks (Dubai, Spa) or even Silverstone and Stowe.

In the current game tuning Camber seems to be a bit of a dark science whereby you go by feel as much or more than data. And it has been argued that it is possibly a useless tool in the current game to begin with.

Will tuning Camber be more exacting in pC2?

has the thought of including tracks from the Emerald Isle entered your head Ian? You know ud love Dundrod the old Clady Circuits along with Mondello Park (club and international) in the game lol
What about Nutts Corner kart track? Would add lots of fun for us punters from Norn Iron lol

Back