Q&A with Slightly Mad Studios: Ian Bell [Read OP]

• Thread starter Kitten
  • 3,687 comments
Although this entirely hearsay.. They were supposably working on a late model car based on the caper chassis. This was several months back so it may have been scrapped but if not it is going to be totally awesome. Also I'm not expecting a full blow licensed nascar game. Give me a modern stock car in a top tier season in career with a decent season length and I'd be satisfied. Now if the late model stuff pans out and that is a step under the stock car ovals than this is gonna be better for me personally than any NASCAR/Forza/GT game ever made. Plus if the late model deal IS true, short tracks across America would be low cost to license and we could even just have fantasy oval short tracks for all I care.

jep, thats what we want. We have 4 to 5 favorite cars and want to push it forward on as much tracks as possible :D
:cheers:

Seriously, I still haven't driven every car in PC1. I'm having so much fun with the G40, GT4 Mustang, GT4 Vantage, GRP.A Sierra & E30.

I can see my new favorites being the NISMO GT3 & IMSA 240Z. Any other Nissan race cars in the game, besides a Prototype?

Last edited:
Can the grid for an Online Championship be filled with AI? If so, do the AI bots keep their name and "personality" type throughout the season? Basically, is this feature accessible for as few as 2 people?
copying my answer here from the other specific thread on Online Championships:

Working on it man, no promises though. I've made the suggestion we try for it. And yes the AI names and team assignments would stick for the duration of the series. "If you're gonna do it, do it right or don't do it all"

OK let's talk about NASCAR.

Look, Brian France chose another company to make their NASCAR game....that's the bad news.

But it stinks, 60 Metacritic...that's the good news. I smell a business opportunity.

What we need to do is get Brian France on the phone (or a fancy dinner) with Ian Bell. Hell, SMS already has most of the technology needed: Pit crews, wind, drafting, tire model, performance impacting damage, penalty system....

Just need to work on NASCAR specific things like safety car and points/chase system. And the car count is nothing....tracks are not a big challenge either. I bet SMS could come up with a killer NASCAR game in 6 months tops just with all the work we did so far for PC2.

Someone asked about running on the aprons. Well this game is sticking to the IMSA and Indycar rules mainly so we don't allow much apron-running.

I hope Ian and Brian have that call/dinner soon. The world would be a better place with a SMS NASCAR game.

Last edited:

Look, Brian France chose another company to make their NASCAR game....that's the bad news.

But it stinks, 60 Metacritic...that's the good news. I smell a business opportunity.

What we need to do is get Brian France on the phone (or a fancy dinner) with Ian Bell. Hell, SMS already has most of the technology needed: Pit crews, wind, drafting, tire model, performance impacting damage, penalty system....

Just need to work on NASCAR specific things like safety car and points/chase system. And the car count is nothing....tracks are not a big challenge either. I bet SMS could come up with a killer NASCAR game in 6 months tops just with all the work we did so far for PC2.

Someone asked about running on the aprons. Well this game is sticking to the IMSA and Indycar rules mainly so we don't allow much apron-running.

I hope Ian and Brian have that call/dinner soon. The world would be a better place with a SMS NASCAR game.

Also, just to be clear, I just want American Stock Car racing to be featured as a tier in Career in PCARS 2 and I will be happy. A season with Daytona, Texas, Indy, Watkins Glen, and Sonoma (and anymore ya'll may be keeping secret) would suit me for now.

Played GTR2 again recently and was reminded how useful it was to see a fly-past of the entire grid before the race started. It also added to the pre-race atmosphere. OK, it was a little low and a little slow in GTR2 but are there any plans for something similar in pCARS2? It could be a fast-ish swooping flyover by the (criminally under-used) TV chopper, with suitable broadcast-style post-production effects. In pCARS I often found myself starting races without a 'sense' of the whole grid in front of me.
If I'm starting out somewhere in the middle, one thing I like to do to get a somewhat related sense of my place in the grid is flash my headlights during the opening camera shot. :)

jep, thats what we want. We have 4 to 5 favorite cars and want to push it forward on as much tracks as possible :D
I really appreciate the push for lots of locations too, and I agree each one adds more value to the game than an additional car.

But of course, your four or five favorite cars are not my four or five favorite cars, which in turn are not @breyzipp's four or five favorite cars. The truth is that no car (or discipline/class) is objectively unnecessary or "wasted development", as the whining so commonly goes. For every single one of Gran Turismo's 1200 cars, it could be someone's favorite car, or the one they like to drive because they own one in real life.

PCARS as a franchise will grow with time, and I'm sure they'll continue to add cars so more people can drive at least one of their top favorites. :cheers:

If I'm starting out somewhere in the middle, one thing I like to do to get a somewhat related sense of my place in the grid is flash my headlights during the opening camera shot. :)

I really appreciate the push for lots of locations too, and I agree each one adds more value to the game than an additional car.

But of course, your four or five favorite cars are not my four or five favorite cars, which in turn are not @breyzipp's four or five favorite cars. The truth is that no car (or discipline/class) is objectively unnecessary or "wasted development", as the whining so commonly goes. For every single one of Gran Turismo's 1200 cars, it could be someone's favorite car, or the one they like to drive because they own one in real life.

PCARS as a franchise will grow with time, and I'm sure they'll continue to add cars so more people can drive at least one of their top favorites. :cheers:
I agree. I've picked the favorites that give me the most fun. I wouldn't have thought of the G40 over an MX-5, since all I've ever driven in any game, is an MX-5.

In game, I prefer the Sierra over the E30. More so for the attitude from the suspension of the Sierra(Watching it squat on acceleration in a replay, plus those 3-piece BBS is magnifico), not just because it has more power.

I had the Clio Cup as a long time favorite, because it brought back that ToCA1 feeling. Bumper to bumper, fender to fender TC racing.

With the choices we are given, sure I have wishes, but I pick favorites from what gives me the most joy, through my imagination. Cool stuff.

Please check your PM's

One thing i love to do is racing online on stock setups. PC1 didnt have this option for online lobbies or for the online "time trials".

You guys did add stock setups on a patch later, but it didnt work properly. If you had an setup saved on your car previously, you'd still have this setup enable on a stock setup lobby which made this option useless.

We also had problems with this stock setups lobby on fuel, the game would randomly put you on 20 liters and an opponent on different load of fuel, making the cars not balanced on weight and creating an advantage.

So, my question is: Would you have stock setups at launch without those problems?

Thanks!

yes, i'm bad at making setups lul

@Ian Bell.
Welcome to GTPlanet, questions from me...
1. Can two (or more) drivers compete together as a team in online multiplayer. I mean when they aren't in the same location - aka driver change?
2. There were some pretty horrendous bugs on PS4 (like getting stuck in the pits during online multiplayer races, wrong fuel added, wrong tyres, etc.) that destroyed league races and eventually stopped us running them. Can you confirm you have done everything possible to resolve those event destroying issues?
3. Replay mode for online?

thanks.

Last edited:
So ovals are finally in pcars and now it's a possibility of the NASCAR's not being in the game.... :odd: yea I know indycars race on ovals as well but NASCAR is the main racing series that races on ovals. We got Daytona now. I don't get it.... Hopefully they make it to the game.

@IanBell We in SNAIL are wondering if Pcars2 will have a no tuning feature.
I as the race director for SNAIL GT1 am wondering if PCars2 will give me the ability to adjust a BoP for multi class racing.
Also will there be a private room feature for our club to race without stragglers coming in disturbing our club event?

Hi @IanBell

I'm curious to know how the online driver swaps are going to work and how many drivers you can have on a team?

And are you planing to expand the amount of online players you can have in a lobby on console?

Thanks

On the PC platform which is much less political SMS strives to be very accomodative. Older Logitech wheels, custom button boxes, TrackIR etc. I know not everyone can or wants to build a gaming PC but SMS is very supportive to the PC community because there's less rules and "suits" between them and the players

Road cars: How many more road vehicles should we expect in the sequel (proportional to the original game)? Congrats on scoring Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini!:bowdown:...any other big reveals? I'm sure the physics will feel improved, but specifically, is it more difficult to fine-tune the physics for road cars than the racing cars?

Online, it seemed players were less likely to host a road car room....not sure why. But having more road cars that compete in each class, the better!

--P.S. By the way, I adore the work you have done for the first game. It's a really solid entry into the sim genre. I look very forward to the sequel! While we may be logged into GTPlanet, when it comes to racing games, I'm living on ProjectCARSPlanet :P

Last edited:
We will do everything that the 1st parties allow us to do. We maintain a 'generic' mode that 'should' help us skirt politics but we're limited by 1st party TCR acceptance and firmware limitations beyond our control.
Thank you for the response. I am grateful every day that my Fanatec still works on PCars. I hope this will continue on PCars 2, If not, I may have to invest in a Cronusmax Plus and cross my fingers. I applaud everything you and your team have done to this point and am really looking forward to PCars 2. Cheers!

@IanBell I have the fanatec clubsport wheelbase v2 and bmw gt wheel for the ps4. Will PC2 still support these with sony changing their attitude towards fanatecs wheels?

I asked that question as well. I am hopeful we can still use our gear with PCars 2.

We will do everything that the 1st parties allow us to do. We maintain a 'generic' mode that 'should' help us skirt politics but we're limited by 1st party TCR acceptance and firmware limitations beyond our control.

Thank you for the response. I am grateful every day that my Fanatec still works on PCars. I hope this will continue on PCars 2, If not, I may have to invest in a Cronusmax Plus and cross my fingers. I applaud everything you and your team have done to this point and am really looking forward to PCars 2. Cheers!

If our worst fears are realised then at least CronusMAX Plus has our backs. That thing is legit. I've been using it with my Fanatec CSR-E and PS Pro on Assetto Corsa and it feels totally lag-free with full FFB. It emulates a G29, not a joypad.

Also, just to be clear, I just want American Stock Car racing to be featured as a tier in Career in PCARS 2 and I will be happy. A season with Daytona, Texas, Indy, Watkins Glen, and Sonoma (and anymore ya'll may be keeping secret) would suit me for now.

I agree.
4 ovals are enough to make a correct career because each race can be run day and night. To this one adds Watkins Glen and Sonoma, that can do 10 races. We do not know if there will be a fourth oval (I like Bristol, Dover and Pocono) and if there will be stockcar. Personally, I hope so. maybe Ian can answer....

Blake Davidson is the guy he needs to get in touch with. Hell I've talked with him on Linked-In. He is definitely who Ian needs to get in touch with . SMS and Nascar together would be epic.

Yes, i agree. I tested nascar heat Evolution and i was very disappointed.

I threw this down at the wishlist thread, but I see Ian is quite active on this thread and thought it might be worth mentioning here...

I'd like to see an online track day for any track in the game where the time and weather simulates the actual real time and weather of the track at current. using accuweather or something like that. for example, right now, as i write this, in catalunya, its 1am, 13C, 10% precipitation, 76% humidity and 11km/h SW wind. I'd love to drive there right now. Players could come and go as they pleased.

Also, I play on PS4 and I would really like the ability to save more than just 1 car setup...

Cheers

I think my questions from page 3 were kinda lost so here we go again.

Is this time a XP-System planned?
You know lvl up etc. just to see each race as a progress.

Or is the carrer of Pcars 2 "credits" based so you have to earn cash to
buy new cars etc.

Have you ever though about early access for consoles?
I know on XBOX there is a programm where developers can
offer it.

I would support that :)

And to cars.
I saw that sexy new AMG GTR.
Can we expect also some old classic AMGs like the legendary "Hammer" ?

As long as all of these things would come into a future Project CARS game, I would like it. ;)

I think my questions from page 3 were kinda lost so here we go again.

Is this time a XP-System planned?
You know lvl up etc. just to see each race as a progress.

Or is the carrer of Pcars 2 "credits" based so you have to earn cash to
buy new cars etc.

Have you ever though about early access for consoles?
I know on XBOX there is a programm where developers can
offer it.

I would support that :)
1. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
2. No.

Back