Questionable modifications: pictures inside!

• Thread starter -Fred-
  • 38,798 comments
ACtC-3f7F6wtNhPbsMPOYEVNIvSfIBzKqEXtRZSfQn5eqUIzVfszma0h7o5qrS4CTk0lCET-y-QDetDPSXGdvaMLJ3gUJ95DmUCNPihETdlmMKUq6hBgK66fOSW0pgMi7II2YNL1YREbtC-s391Ti4Kv-w5VuA=w1390-h1914-no

Barf.
:lol:

several divisions require full factory interior on touring cars...

thus the only questionable thing I see is the fact that all that is done to an automatic trans car (yes it has paddle shifters but thats not the point)

Isn't the owner of that Audi on this forum? I thought it was a pretty serious track car from what I remembered about it?

As long as they are functional and the car is actually tracked I will never complain about excessive aero bits.

Plus compared to some TA cars that Audi is very subtle.

pemqbwgunqu8uxtk9cyt.jpg

5bsnqyv8ljb31.jpg

Isn't the owner of that Audi on this forum? I thought it was a pretty serious track car from what I remembered about it?

Yes, it's @fortbo's car.

Unless the owner's goal is to make a parachute, I'm not very confident on the functional part.

Considering it seems he has put up some pretty good lap times I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt over you.

And while we’re at it, I'd like to say I hate attitudes like yours and I have to imagine it plays a part in why most people view cars as appliances. Why bother getting into cars when you'll just get talked down to by some know it all 🤬 the second you share your passion with others? The amount of people customizing their cars with performance in mind and actually going to the track is dwindling, we don't need people like you hurrying the demise.

Last edited:
Considering it seems he has put up some pretty good lap times I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt over you.
I mean...

s4_LI.jpg

This car either screams "I have no idea what I'm doing", or "I have no idea what I want to do". If he's trying to go fast, he's not doing a very good job at it. If he's just doing it for fun then that's fine and all but that seems like an awful lot of modifications if that were the case.

There's just a lot of things at odds with each other here.

Last edited:
I see no issue with that Audi, having seen a bit of that build on this forum, it's designed for a purpose and a rule set of TA that it meets perfectly fine as far as I'm aware, hardly questionable, its very functional, and props to @fortbo for having a damn good crack and getting out on track racing. Just seems like your nitpicking @Sage Ages, and your attitude stinks, if it's something your so unsure of what's stopping you from investing your own time and money to a "better" job yourself :rolleyes:.

And while we’re at it, I'd like to say I hate attitudes like yours and I have to imagine it plays a part in why most people view cars as appliances. Why bother getting into cars when you'll just get talked down to by some know it all 🤬 the second you share your passion with others? The amount of people customizing their cars with performance in mind and actually going to the track is dwindling, we don't need people like you hurrying the demise.

This so much.

If there's one thing thats so pathetic is someone needlessly picking apart someone else's hobby and critiquing in such a way that puts them down. If the individual is racing or just having a go on the track, learning as they go from people around them and what not, crucially enjoying themselves, then what's the issue? Its not like the car in question isn't used properly either, so unless someone is in a position to offer useful constructive advice/criticism, then they're in no position to talk 🤬. Do something yourself and get out on track if it's something that bothers you. That's the one thing I despise in an era of forums and sharing project cars over the internet, but its sadly no surprise these days.

Last edited:
I don't care who owns it. It's still questionable.
I mean...

View attachment 964664

This car either screams "I have no idea what I'm doing", or "I have no idea what I want to do". If he's trying to go fast, he's not doing a very good job at it. If he's just doing it for fun then that's fine and all but that seems like an awful lot of modifications if that were the case.

So why don't you go to his thread about his car and tell him how you think his car is stupidly done for the racing he actually uses it for, instead of calling him out about it but being too cowardly to actually do it it in a place where he would see it. He even helpfully acknowledged some of the "concerns" you tried to rake him over the coals for.

several divisions require full factory interior on touring cars...
As does the one that fortbo competes in:
There’s a bunch of funny rules to keep it somewhat of a road relevant class like requirements of keeping factory interior material like carpet and door cards in the front half of the car with parts trimmed away for the roll cage.

Last edited:
I mean...

View attachment 964664

I mean, where's you're track car and where are your lap times then if you're gonna talk down on someone for actually making their car fit within the regulations of a class? If you think they don't know what they're doing then I suggest you go buy the same car and do everything he's done and then run better lap times than him and report back to us to let us know what you've done better or what he's done wrong?

Unless the owner's goal is to make a parachute, I'm not very confident on the functional part.
Also, implying you know anything about how aero works. Prove them wrong then....

Last edited:
Racecars are going to look weird sometimes. When I had my rally Neon, it looked goofy as hell.

Also, even if you're not turning the fastest times, what does it matter? It's a hobby, albeit an expensive one, and you're meant to have fun with it. Even coming in dead last I still always enjoyed every race I ever took part in. I knew I was outclassed and I knew other drivers were way more experienced than I was, but at the end of the day it was well worth every penny I spent on it.

Biggest thing I see wrong with the aero configuration is how the front canards adjacent to the splitter extend beyond the width of the car itself. Canards are going to create drag no matter what but making them that wide is exasperating the overall drag of the vehicle by increasing the frontal area. Most, if not all, race cars don't have canards that extend that far wide.

I'm not going to condemn someone for being into cars, into racing, and into having fun but it's not a stretch to believe that the aerodynamic devices on that car are overkill for what that car is being asked to do. If you want to have more grip invest in the mechanical platform first, especially if it's mostly low-speed traction that is lacking. I would be interested to read what the justifications are for every external aero device on the car. Only then can I make a completely informed judgment on how useful they are.

its always a balancing act between downforce and drag...

sure the drag will slow you down overall down the straights, but it MAY (track depending) increase your cornering abilities beyond that of the overall speed loss.

DTM cars for awhile used phenomonally wild canards beyond the overall body width (wich turned into drivers intentionally clipping them off of their rivals cars)

most of the tracks those Time Attack cars are built for are more tighter twisting tracks with less straightaways to worry about the drag slowing you down in comparison to the downforce's cornering speed

DTM cars for awhile used phenomonally wild canards beyond the overall body width (wich turned into drivers intentionally clipping them off of their rivals cars)
Could you please provide a year or frame of years when these cars were run? I see plenty where they're absolutely massive but don't appear to go beyond width of the fender that they precede.

Last edited:
DDE25F0A-0302-48CA-9611-2AE137DC35E9.jpeg

My aero clearly works. You also happened to pick a lap time from last year when we weren’t allowed to have a boosted engine. Obviously that put the car at a pretty large power deficit. Luckily this year we can run a boosted V8 setup thanks to a rule change. Still sorting things out but it should be at about 600 whp once everything is dialed in. It’s hilarious when someone acts like they know what they’re talking about when in reality they sound like the dumbest person in the room. @Sage Ages While we’re at it, would you like to show me your racecar since it seems like you have a bunch of knowledge and experience on this subject? I compete in one of the most competitive time attack classes in the country and it is incredibly hard to make a car get to the top, especially when it’s a different sort of platform than the average track car like mine.

Last edited:
View attachment 964953
My aero clearly works. You also happened to pick a lap time from last year when we weren’t allowed to have a boosted engine. Obviously that put the car at a pretty large power deficit. Luckily this year we can run a boosted V8 setup thanks to a rule change. Still sorting things out but it should be at about 600 whp once everything is dialed in. It’s hilarious when someone acts like that know what they’re talking about when in reality they sound like the dumbest person in the room. @Sage Ages While we’re at it, would you like to show me your racecar since it seems like you have a bunch of knowledge and experience on this subject? I compete in one of the most competitive time attack classes in the country and it is incredibly hard to make a car get to the top, especially when it’s a different sort of platform than the average track car like mine.
That post was absolutely brilliant. You should know you're dealing with someone who doesn't actually contribute to this forum other than to call members out and make snide remarks without adding anything constructive. Props to you and all the sweat and hard work you put into your car 👍

Almost as good as a wind tunnel shot!
@fortbo, I didn't realized you were stuck in an underpowerd situation, knowing that leaves me more impressed.

@Whitetail
2000-2003 the mercedes and bmw's kept theirs more flush however the Audi's and Opel's were a bit more prominent.

one of the Audi TT's biggest shortcoming was having its canards knocked off rather easily

Attachments

• opel-vectra-v8-dtm-2002-348260.jpg
    opel-vectra-v8-dtm-2002-348260.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 51
Back