QUICK MATCH DISILLUSIONMENT!?!?

• Thread starter mustangxr
  • 215 comments
What about the guys at Madrid that seem to be able to overtake every car (even from the back of the grid) on the pit straight on the first lap, always ending up in first place by the first corner - how do they do that? Had one this week that kept pulling it off, and he was then winning every race, with a lap time 6 seconds quicker than anybody else!

Save the replay & switch to his car & check his gear changes, he may just be very good at them. Some cars changing up slightly before the red line makes a big difference.

I have to say, I got off my lazy butt and routed a cat 5 cable to my PS3 and my connection issues have been cut down tremendously. Download speeds doubled, upload speeds 25X faster. I highly recommend wired connection to anyone who gives half a crap. My PS3 is like 20 feet from my router. The thing must have the worst wifi hardware.

Now when I have a close race with someone and the penalty system goes bonkers awarding my opponent a penalty I let them pass me to regain the position.
I've done this a few times, negate the penalty. It's really tricky to have a good competitive race. Big bummer when your opponent suddenly drops off the face of the earth due to a minor scuff. Sometimes if I'm in a fight behind the leader and this happens, and I think I have a chance of catching the leader I will look back with a small tear in my eye at my wrongly penalized foe and continue on. There was one race where that guy came back at the end and I let him take the win. I'm such a hero :sly:

The last time I tried there were 4 or 5 other cars, & they just set there for one lap then went running all over the grassy areas. It showed me in first place & when the race was over, I went to 4th, & all of a sudden last. Tired it 3 times with the same result. Those guys were out running along the fence crashing into each other & still winning. Made no sense at all.
This, yes! I had a whole field of 15 like this. It appeared that all of my opponents positions were only updated every 10-20 seconds. At the moment their position was updated, their cars appeared in that spot moving at a certain speed and direction and then went dead and just coasted since it was a momentary update. Quite ridiculous! I was making the most of it by time trialing with hopes that whoever was fastest in the proper race was slower than me, but at one corner a guy appeared behind me suddenly and booted me off the track. Things got squirrely and I quit.

Is cheating possible? There was a guy in the BRZ lobby called "disergio" and he is from greece...
It sounds like maybe he had a really terrible connection and was just driving under the super glitched-out conditions I mentioned above. Maybe from his perspective he was all alone, with you guys appearing as an occasional update :lol:

I've made a mini game out of baiting the bad drivers when I'm bored. Dropping to the back of the field and putting pressure on every person before I pass them. They're weaving all over the road trying to block you, reacting to imaginary moves you might be thinking of making, make the easy pass when they do and they try to ram you, often ending up in the wall or facing the wrong way. I always give a cheeky little "beep beep" as I overtake too. Nothing like rubbing a bit of salt into wound.

The above should come with a warning though. The target on your back gets bigger and bigger with each race.

Want serious racing? Forget quick match. Join a club.

lol, ive done this to dirty drivers, send em a close up of them spun out or being dirty, really have had some hatemail back lol

The Bathurst Quick Race is properly fun, the penalty system sometimes messes you about, but if your good enough with the car and can learn the track you can make up a lot of lost time and have a lot of fun battling.

Just done 3 races;
>started 9th finished 2nd, could have taken the lead had I not been shoved onto the grass when trying a move up the main straight and made a mistake on the last lap which meant I couldn't get the time back.
>started 12th finished 2nd, same guy who won the previous race took it, he started on pole how ever.
>started 5th, got to 3rd out of the second corner only to be taken out by the over-defensive driving of the guy in 2nd, demoted me (due to collision penalty) to 8th. Managed to battle my way back to 4th and then on the last lap has a proper charge at 3rd place guy, managed to send a dummy into the last corner and pipped him up the inside to claim 3rd. The guy who won the other two races also won this one, from pole again..

Never had this much fun in any QM for multipul races!

I wanted to buy that 7.5 million credit Ferrari GTO, so I did that damndable Megane crap race all day today. I made the money but hated every minute of it.

Someone rear ends me, I get a penalty. I rear end someone I get a penalty. Someone knockes me into the grass, I pull back on track and get a shortcut penalty. I see nothing but smoke, and BAM I t-bone a car pulling onto the track and I get a 9 second penalty. NINE seconds, I would have been 2nd because the second and third place cars crashed out, but instead 9 seconds pass and now I am in 13th place.

I got my gto, and now I am done.

I did however really enjoy the Bathurst quick match races. The loner car is great, and I love the track. I wish it paid more though.

Hell, why can't online lobbies pay more? It sucks that we HAVE to do what PD wants to make any kind of money.

Been trying to get on to the servers for the Renault Megan race for days now and I just can't get connected. This is ridiculous. First time I tried I had some great races, but now I can't even get to race at all. Fed up of getting booted out or the game crashing!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I wanted to buy that 7.5 million credit Ferrari GTO, so I did that damndable Megane crap race all day today. I made the money but hated every minute of it.

Someone rear ends me, I get a penalty. I rear end someone I get a penalty. Someone knockes me into the grass, I pull back on track and get a shortcut penalty. I see nothing but smoke, and BAM I t-bone a car pulling onto the track and I get a 9 second penalty. NINE seconds, I would have been 2nd because the second and third place cars crashed out, but instead 9 seconds pass and now I am in 13th place.

I got my gto, and now I am done.

I did however really enjoy the Bathurst quick match races. The loner car is great, and I love the track. I wish it paid more though.

Hell, why can't online lobbies pay more? It sucks that we HAVE to do what PD wants to make any kind of money.
Yeah I've had a couple of races where I'm totally blind for a whole lap with blight blue smoke, I kept having to look at the map to make sure no one had stopped in front of me.

I think the worst penalty I got was at Bathurst, someone went deep into the last chicane and weaved back onto track and swerved in front of me so I have no time to react, when he rejoins the track he is ghosting, the second he swerves in front of me he goes solid and I slam into the back of him and get a 9 second penalty.

I wish there was SOME kind of karma system, but given how terrible the penalty system is it might end up being worse? idk.. I feel your pain though, for sure there are a huge number of people who shouldn't be allowed to partake in QM events lol

The quick match of the future? Join an online club that makes a class of races all the time on standard BOP/rules. :D

That way you'll avoid 1st lap idiots :D

I have to say, I got off my lazy butt and routed a cat 5 cable to my PS3 and my connection issues have been cut down tremendously. Download speeds doubled, upload speeds 25X faster. I highly recommend wired connection to anyone who gives half a crap. My PS3 is like 20 feet from my router. The thing must have the worst wifi hardware.

Exactly, it took me 2 days to realise this when I first got a PS3 and used wifi for FIFA.
It was a lag nightmare, even with my 50Mb connection at the time. Plugged in with a wired connection, a MASSIVE improvement, unrecognisable. Even PD recommend using a wired connection.

Yet so many people still use Wifi for PS3 Online and wonder why they lag. I really think
many people don't realise how much worse Wifi is even with a 50-100Mb connection. It's even worth running a cable upstairs if you must.

Last edited:
Exactly, it took me 2 days to realise this when I first got a PS3 and used wifi for FIFA.
It was a lag nightmare, even with my 50Mb connection at the time. Plugged in with a wired connection, a MASSIVE improvement, unrecognisable. Even PD recommend using a wired connection.

Yet so many people still use Wifi for PS3 Online and wonder why they lag. I really think
many people don't realise how much worse Wifi is even with a 50-100Mb connection. It's even worth running a cable upstairs if you must.
I can confirm for sure now that wired is worth doing. As an update to how things have gone for me since plugging in, I can say the following:

- Connecting to a room has gone from 3 fails in 4 tries to one fail in 5 tries, maybe better depending on the day/time
- Time required to connect to and enter a room hasn't really changed, but since it rarely fails to connect it's OK, just worth mentioning
- Random/no-warning disconnects once race starts are basically gone, instead of 1 in 10 races or worse
- Pretty much all strange connection phenomena that I can think of that results in a disconnect or having to disconnect have been eliminated:
  • Getting into a room but the "time to race start" clock keeps restarting, never actually letting me race
  • The rest of the field only appearing/updating every few seconds, or otherwise bugging out and making things hell-like
  • My car driving on its own during warm-up, followed by disconnect from server (like a B-spec Bob possession, sorta funny)

I can confirm for sure now that wired is worth doing. As an update to how things have gone for me since plugging in, I can say the following:

- Connecting to a room has gone from 3 fails in 4 tries to one fail in 5 tries, maybe better depending on the day/time
- Time required to connect to and enter a room hasn't really changed, but since it rarely fails to connect it's OK, just worth mentioning
- Random/no-warning disconnects once race starts are basically gone, instead of 1 in 10 races or worse
- Pretty much all strange connection phenomena that I can think of that results in a disconnect or having to disconnect have been eliminated:
  • Getting into a room but the "time to race start" clock keeps restarting, never actually letting me race
  • The rest of the field only appearing/updating every few seconds, or otherwise bugging out and making things hell-like
  • My car driving on its own during warm-up, followed by disconnect from server (like a B-spec Bob possession, sorta funny)

Yes, most of these I have only experienced a handful of times out of maybe 50-100 quick matches since Christmas with my wired connection.

If I ever can't connect to Quick Matches it is the fault of the PD server or the time of day. I've only ever once been in a race where the whole field disappeared and then reappeared during a race. I think twice the time to race clock has reset.

Also you have no control over OTHER drivers connections, so if they start glitching and teleporting, there is nothing you can do.

I really hope they put up another event like the 500PP Trial Mountain in that "coming soon" spot.

Me too, I played that QM 90% of the time, experimenting with different cars to beat the GSX :D

There should be at least one that allows tuned cars.

I really like the ability to use tuned cars in quick match. I actually prefer the Megane race to Trial Mountain since nobody can use a GSX-R lol. I would like to see a one make GSX-R race just for the irony of it.

As for connection issues I am seeing much less failed connections with this latest round of quick matches but at the cost of much more lag-bugged drivers in the races than before. The thing that bugs me is the variance of grip from lap to lap. It seems like I can have good grip and then a racer from somewhere far away enters and suddenly I'm ice skating on the track. After they leave I'm back to having good grip? It seems to be really prevalent in the 600pp sports car race.

PS: PD, we are ready for a 1 lap Nordschleife race in quick match!

I agree that the tuned 1-make race is nice. And the varying grip! I thought that was just me doing worse under pressure! Maybe not so?

Oh yeah I have felt it change even mid race if someone exits the server. Really bad at the last route 5 race. Drivers' times would vary by 5 seconds or so race to race. Sometimes it feels normal, other times the car feels heavy and plows like a dumptruck, and still other times the track feels slick as ice with wheelspin galore and all on the same server/session.

Maybe some glitch with the boost as it seems most prevalent in the sports car race. Even had some d-bag accuse me of switching drivers because I picked up several seconds race to race lol.

Sometimes it feels normal, other times the car feels heavy and plows like a dumptruck, and still other times the track feels slick as ice with wheelspin galore and all on the same server/session.

Maybe some glitch with the boost as it seems most prevalent in the sports car race. Even had some d-bag accuse me of switching drivers because I picked up several seconds race to race lol.
That was exactly how I noticed it, like the car gained 250kg and just plowed off the track. 50% surface water on track style. It's most frustrating because you get to know exactly how your car SHOULD behave, and when the heat is on and you need it to work its' best... it can all go right out the window. I also figured it could have something to do with boost or whatever, but I believe I've felt it in races with none of that stuff active. It could be that it's still there a little :confused: or it just has to do with latency (more likely 👎)

I have had a roller coaster week doing the Megane Trophy race.
1.) Installed a new setup and set some fast lap and race times (see my post in the Megane Trophy Nurburgring Challenge thread).
2.) Game froze (3) times during races forcing me to turn off the console and losing over 13.5 million credits.
3.) As other people have mentioned, the track just loses grip during different race sessions. I have also noticed it changing during a race, but I thought it was just me screwing up.
4.) I did (3) races in a row that I won, but someone that was low on the leader board and 20-30 seconds behind ended up shown as the winner in the results. This has happened many times before, however this time it was the same person in all (3) races!
5.) Started a race but everyone else did not move. Later in the race, cars started appearing all over the place flying off the track and spinning everywhere. On the final lap I passed a car that was stopped on the track before the chicane. When the race ended, that stopped car was shown beating me by 10 seconds.
6.) Could not race at all last night due to constant connection problems.

I am new to online racing. What is causing all these problems? Is it that the online portion of GT6 is poorly designed or something else?

I am new to online racing. What is causing all these problems? Is it that the online portion of GT6 is poorly designed or something else?
It's GT6. Make sure your PS3 has a wired connection (not wi-fi) and try to reduce other activity on the network (like streaming video) and it seems to work best.

Lol wtf happened. I was first throughout the race, and the result turns out that i'm second.

24x3mf9.jpg

Last edited:
The "DNF" appears to be new. Are those people that dropped out of the match, or people who didn't cross the line before the 30 second time limit after 1st place finished?

The "DNF" appears to be new. Are those people that dropped out of the match, or people who didn't cross the line before the 30 second time limit after 1st place finished?

I've seen the "DNF" before the latest update. It was given out to drivers who hadn't crossed the Finish line before the 30 second countdown at the end of the races.

GTsail

Ok I'm done, totally done with Quick Match (and thus GT6 too). It's gone from one of my favorite modes to one of the most abused and horribly managed types of online racing I've ever done, including the F1 games.

First, trying to get into a match, takes 10 mins and several d/c's.. tonight it took a full reboot as it crashed my system and then 10mins trying to actually join a game after several d/c's.
Every single race had 1-2 afk drivers who just have cars (you can hit AND get a penalty for hitting) sat on the grid the whole race.
I got 5-10 second penalties for;
  • hitting cars who had break checked me
  • hitting cars who were diving up the inside of me on corners (despite leaving room)
  • hitting cars who hit afk drivers which slows them down instantly (and alot) without warning
  • for 'ramming' cars who are trying to push me onto the grass while I'm just trying to stay on the track
  • for hitting cars that try (and fail) to cut corners, ghost back wildly onto the track and then without warning turn solid again

But the best part is, drivers who don't get penalties which actually turn out being penalties;
  • swerving in the breaking area making over-taking almost guaranteed to give you a penalty
  • being rammed from behind punting you off into the grass allowing them to pass you
  • cutting the last chicane at Mount Pan
  • ramming people off onto the grass

I think I'm totally done with this game, this feature used to keep me coming back as I could get good fun races, but the only people playing this game now seemingly only want to grief and cheat. And the tools designed to stop this from happening only make it worse and more broken.

Thankfully Project Cars is only a few weeks away.

Ok I'm done, totally done with Quick Match (and thus GT6 too). It's gone from one of my favorite modes to one of the most abused and horribly managed types of online racing I've ever done, including the F1 games.

First, trying to get into a match, takes 10 mins and several d/c's.. tonight it took a full reboot as it crashed my system and then 10mins trying to actually join a game after several d/c's.
Every single race had 1-2 afk drivers who just have cars (you can hit AND get a penalty for hitting) sat on the grid the whole race.
I got 5-10 second penalties for;
  • hitting cars who had break checked me
  • hitting cars who were diving up the inside of me on corners (despite leaving room)
  • hitting cars who hit afk drivers which slows them down instantly (and alot) without warning
  • for 'ramming' cars who are trying to push me onto the grass while I'm just trying to stay on the track
  • for hitting cars that try (and fail) to cut corners, ghost back wildly onto the track and then without warning turn solid again

But the best part is, drivers who don't get penalties which actually turn out being penalties;
  • swerving in the breaking area making over-taking almost guaranteed to give you a penalty
  • being rammed from behind punting you off into the grass allowing them to pass you
  • cutting the last chicane at Mount Pan
  • ramming people off onto the grass

I think I'm totally done with this game, this feature used to keep me coming back as I could get good fun races, but the only people playing this game now seemingly only want to grief and cheat. And the tools designed to stop this from happening only make it worse and more broken.

Thankfully Project Cars is only a few weeks away.

Yes sir, Feeling your pain. I used to love going racing in this mode, but as you say, between the hopeless server and the total goons in the rooms when you finally get in, I don't even bother now. Shame, because the idea is great.

I agree that the penalty system seems to punish the innocent most of the time. I think the best thing to do is to either get rid of it altogether (at least significantly shorten the penalty times) or make it so that both drivers get penalized regardless of fault. As it stands right now it is basically a way for blockers/wreckers to keep legitimate racers from passing them and pretty soon the whole room degenerates into a dirty mess. Either that or you're fighting off 10 second collision penalties from running into the guy that starts his braking for the turn halfway down the back stretch. ^_^

I don't like that there's no system to kick problematic users, or any way to deal with them, other than to leave a lobby and find another one.

I've had races where 9/10 drivers are a pleasure to compete against, but there is that 1 driver who cuts the chicanes, brake-checks and rams people and generally makes the whole experience unpleasant. This is further compounded if said offending driver has the pace to win regardless and only behaves like this after getting a bad start.

Latest Posts

Back