QUICK MATCH DISILLUSIONMENT!?!?

• Thread starter mustangxr
  • 215 comments
I agree that the penalty system seems to punish the innocent most of the time. I think the best thing to do is to either get rid of it altogether (at least significantly shorten the penalty times) or make it so that both drivers get penalized regardless of fault. As it stands right now it is basically a way for blockers/wreckers to keep legitimate racers from passing them and pretty soon the whole room degenerates into a dirty mess. Either that or you're fighting off 10 second collision penalties from running into the guy that starts his braking for the turn halfway down the back stretch. ^_^

Thing that bugs me the most is when I get penalized by someone who's "barely even there" ie, their vehicle is disappearing and re-appearing (right in front of me), causing me to get into accidents I simply can't control. Seems that PDI's programming staff need some remedial courses.

My single GT-playing friend and I spent a while perusing the Open Lobby for servers to fill the void left when the 500pp Trial Mountain QM went away. We made our own as well. We got our kicks, but the replay value is not there for us. On average, it's a lot more work per minute spent racing and you don't see the full grids. Plus there are a**holes everywhere, not just QM. You'd think the only people left playing this game by now would be die-hards... Hmm... I suppose die-hards can still be asses.

(FYI, we time when we enter QM events and can usually both get into the same server in 1 or 2 tries :lol:)

Neither of us are interested in getting involved in some club or community.. we're into it but not that into it. Here's hoping the QM problems are a result of it getting more popular, and that it only expands and improves. I said before, I believe that executing QM properly is key to GT being a leading racing game. PD would be stupid to let it go to s**t.

I feel your pain folks! Last night I had several races, 7 actually where I was "randomly," started 14th every time, even if only 5 cars raced. lol
I also had several races trying to pass a MUCH slower car who rarely entered or exited a turn straight, sliding and on the verge of spinning out constantly. This gave me about 4 or 5 penalties EACH race. I'd make up the 5 second penalty over and over only to have it happen again on next passing attempt. Then if I did pass a tap on my door or rear bumper and I'd get another penalty. My first lap was a 2:35, my second a 1:54.3 and third a 2:09. rofl

Sometimes it's stressful, but the payout is so good that even 12th place is about 200,000, so I try to stay relaxed and collect my funds. I keep repeating to myself, "video game, video game, video game."

I've got a garage filled with awesome cars now, so I say stay patient and drive thru the grief, collect the dough!!!

I'm logging in daily to see if the "coming soon" event has gone live but they really drag their feet with it. If I remember right, it was a long wait for Trial Mountain. Jeeez, I miss that event. Dozens of tuned cars and my favourite track.

None of what's on offer appeal to me right now. I like the Megane Trophy but I don't like racing softs, or that it's on Nurburgring GP/F. It's one of the dullest tracks for me. Mount Panorama is a great track but I knew the final sector would have a new dirt road laid down by the short cutters.

Hopefully, the "coming soon" will make an appearance soon. I need a fix.

Imagine if you could make a custom lobby with settings from a Quick Match.... But that would be too easy ^^
I'm well versed in holding Open Lobbies, however the advantage of Quick Match is that a lot of people can join in a short space of time. Sitting around waiting ages for 10 people to join a room isn't as fun ;)

I don't like that there's no system to kick problematic users, or any way to deal with them, other than to leave a lobby and find another one.

It wouldn't be hard to program a black flag where folks get flagged (and removed from current race) after so many penalties. Then they get sent to a room with like-flagged racers where they can have a marvelous time.

The only problem is that the penalty algorithm is not capable of correctly assessing blame. Until then...

It wouldn't be hard to program a black flag where folks get flagged (and removed from current race) after so many penalties. Then they get sent to a room with like-flagged racers where they can have a marvelous time.

The only problem is that the penalty algorithm is not capable of correctly assessing blame. Until then...

That's exactly the problem. I've had the lead going into turn 4 many times, only to be hit from the rear and given a 5 second penalty. It's fun to fight your way back from 11th after that....not.

Anybody else here played The Run online? Same if not worse than quick match , and i pretty much guarantee than you will not make it through a single race without getting rammed off the course. Long story short, The Run is about the same as quick match, but without the penalties and connection issues.

I feel your pain folks! Last night I had several races, 7 actually where I was "randomly," started 14th every time, even if only 5 cars raced. lol

Two nights ago, I was having the same thing happen to me.

Four races in a row, I was randomly placed in 12th place on the starting grid.:odd::grumpy:

And there were only eight other drivers in the race, so grid spots 9th, 10th and 11th were empty, and I was three spots further back with empty tarmac in front of me!:dopey: At least I had a nice clean track for the run into the first corner!:)

wedjim
Sometimes it's stressful, but the payout is so good that even 12th place is about 200,000, so I try to stay relaxed and collect my funds. I keep repeating to myself, "video game, video game, video game."

^^^^^Exactly!!!👍:lol:

See you on the Ring!
GTsail

The money is another thing... they need to keep it that way. I really hope it's there from the start in GT7. You just couldn't ask for a better form of grinding in GT. Even if you aren't that competitive it's still awesome money, and you should become a better driver in the process (vs. grinding at an oval track or with Bob.)

Ok I'm done, totally done with Quick Match (and thus GT6 too). It's gone from one of my favorite modes to one of the most abused and horribly managed types of online racing I've ever done, including the F1 games.

First, trying to get into a match, takes 10 mins and several d/c's.. tonight it took a full reboot as it crashed my system and then 10mins trying to actually join a game after several d/c's.
Every single race had 1-2 afk drivers who just have cars (you can hit AND get a penalty for hitting) sat on the grid the whole race.
I got 5-10 second penalties for;
  • hitting cars who had break checked me
  • hitting cars who were diving up the inside of me on corners (despite leaving room)
  • hitting cars who hit afk drivers which slows them down instantly (and alot) without warning
  • for 'ramming' cars who are trying to push me onto the grass while I'm just trying to stay on the track
  • for hitting cars that try (and fail) to cut corners, ghost back wildly onto the track and then without warning turn solid again

But the best part is, drivers who don't get penalties which actually turn out being penalties;
  • swerving in the breaking area making over-taking almost guaranteed to give you a penalty
  • being rammed from behind punting you off into the grass allowing them to pass you
  • cutting the last chicane at Mount Pan
  • ramming people off onto the grass

I think I'm totally done with this game, this feature used to keep me coming back as I could get good fun races, but the only people playing this game now seemingly only want to grief and cheat. And the tools designed to stop this from happening only make it worse and more broken.

Thankfully Project Cars is only a few weeks away.

Hi Baldgye,

Most of your points are spot on, here's some of my observations.
  • I usually connect within a couple of tries, except today where it crashed and required an unplug to reset the PS3, then 4 D/C's later and still no connection. Ahhhhgh!
  • Mount Panorama is a nightmare for the current penalty system.
  • The starting grid is too compact so if a few cars stall at the start you invariably have no escape but to ram them and get a 3-6 sec penalty.
  • The top of the mountain is blocked in by concrete so if someone crashes into a wall right in front of you, you have a collision and an unfair 6 second penalty
  • If someone goes transparent in front of you, the odds of them becoming solid before they reach a reasonable speed is pretty high.
  • If someone brakes unexpectedly too early then you slam into the back of them and you get a 10 second penalty.
The last round I spent a lot of time with the Redbull track which was better suited to the PD penalty system because the starting grid is more open and there is plenty of runoff areas for bad drivers.

Anyway I've had my whinge and GT6 is still running so I'll give the Mountain another go and see if I can get a connection and then the next challenge will be to actually finish a lap without any incidents. Woohoo!

Brutal a little earlier. Someone was cutting the track(forget the handle, Italian flag) by the last chicane and not getting much of a penalty for it. How much time do you have to spend to figure out that shortcut, geez that's pathetic. If that's not bad enough every race this loser crashed anyone and everyone he got near... I just picture him looking at his monitor/TV with his chest puffed out thinking he's brilliant. rofl

On a positive after maxing out I bought the last Ferrari, the $20,000,000 one...so now I own every one of them!

Hi Baldgye,

Most of your points are spot on, here's some of my observations.
  • I usually connect within a couple of tries, except today where it crashed and required an unplug to reset the PS3, then 4 D/C's later and still no connection. Ahhhhgh!
  • Mount Panorama is a nightmare for the current penalty system.
  • The starting grid is too compact so if a few cars stall at the start you invariably have no escape but to ram them and get a 3-6 sec penalty.
  • The top of the mountain is blocked in by concrete so if someone crashes into a wall right in front of you, you have a collision and an unfair 6 second penalty
  • If someone goes transparent in front of you, the odds of them becoming solid before they reach a reasonable speed is pretty high.
  • If someone brakes unexpectedly too early then you slam into the back of them and you get a 10 second penalty.
The last round I spent a lot of time with the Redbull track which was better suited to the PD penalty system because the starting grid is more open and there is plenty of runoff areas for bad drivers.

Anyway I've had my whinge and GT6 is still running so I'll give the Mountain another go and see if I can get a connection and then the next challenge will be to actually finish a lap without any incidents. Woohoo!

I actually had a worse time at the Red Bull track because I would get either dive bombed or people would deliberately go deep into the corner and then take an exit road instead of the racing line as it was faster and essentially just cheat like that.

Theast corner I got dive bombed nearly every lap and instead of them ghosting or getting a penalty, I would get a 10 second penalty and rammed off the road.

In real life, if I ram a car stalled in the starting block I probably get more than a 6 second penalty. If I hit a car spinning sideways at 100+ mph, I'm getting way more than a 10 second penalty. I was a victim of circumstance, but it happens in real racing all the time. The only difference with QM is that I get about 1/3 the first place prize money for coming in last. And I don't pay a dime to get my car repaired for the next race.

Can QM be frustrating? Yes. Is the penalty system broken? Yes. But the credits are awesome.

As Yapalfeuaulac mentioned, hard barriers at course cutting locations are absolutely necessary. I'm sure it would pain PD terribly to do it on the real-world courses because there are no barriers there in reality :rolleyes: BUT TOUGH CRAP! Especially for the original circuits, there's no excuse. Just model a row of immovable/indestructible hay-bails with some banners draped over them across the way anywhere you get this kind of opportunity. Done. Game = 100% better.

They really do need to carefully implement penalties specific to each course, and specific to each turn on the course. I really hated the BRZ/86 race at Silverstone. Competition was so ridiculously tight (which was great) but every lap we would all go flying waaaaayyyyy off the track at turn 1, out into the runoff. It was such a big advantage (no penalty at all, very repeatable) that all of us just did it every lap. Try to be a stand-up guy and stay in the lines? You're gone.

An automatic reduction in power for the entire time you leave the course in those wide-open runoffs could be a reasonable penalty, assuming it doesn't initiate the power reduction until a second or two after leaving the road.

Racing QM today in the Megane series and lost two races to someone who cut off the last chicane. He also did it to a faster guy, but still lost to him(5:48 total times).

But he was also a hack in between track cutting, which he did every lap, so there's that. lol
Pathetic.

Still won me 6million all said and done!

Racing QM today in the Megane series and lost two races to someone who cut off the last chicane. He also did it to a faster guy, but still lost to him(5:48 total times).

But he was also a hack in between track cutting, which he did every lap, so there's that. lol
Pathetic.

Still won me 6million all said and done!
Did the corner cutter hack manage a 5:50 total time or close to it??

Some good racing late yesterday after I was able to finally get into a room. Had some tuff beating and banging and only got 1 clean run out of about 10 races. Man people don't want you to pass at all costs! What do they think happens when you catch back up?
Fun racing with SCClockDr too! Seemd like the battles were based on who got a cleaner first lap. In one race I was pushing my limits keeping pace with Moxitops, but put a wheel in the grass in the straight before the last turn. That dropped me from 2nd to 6th and the DR flew by from 3rd!!!...aka, close racing.
At least there are a couple of guys who will race hard, but not spend their time trying to push you in the sand instead!

aka, close racing.
At least there are a couple of guys who will race hard, but not spend their time trying to push you in the sand instead!

Yes,, actually I've found there are many "clean yet VERY Competitive" racers in this Megane QM and that makes it a lot of fun,, that and the MEGA payout is wayyy too cool!. I hope they run another like this one. The Panorama and on tha mountain QM's I've found to be very dirty AND they do not pay nearly as well as NBRing GP so they're less fun.

Ii
Some good racing late yesterday after I was able to finally get into a room. Had some tuff beating and banging and only got 1 clean run out of about 10 races. Man people don't want you to pass at all costs! What do they think happens when you catch back up?
Fun racing with SCClockDr too! Seemd like the battles were based on who got a cleaner first lap. In one race I was pushing my limits keeping pace with Moxitops, but put a wheel in the grass in the straight before the last turn. That dropped me from 2nd to 6th and the DR flew by from 3rd!!!...aka, close racing.
I thoroughly enjoyed that session.
Yes there are plenty of yahoos brake checking, pushing, & shoving. So I've set out to learn ways of dealing with those issues. I've become pretty good at avoiding bashing the brake checkers. I've reduced my vulnerability to pushing n shoving somewhat. My blind spot seems to be getting pitted, most times I am caught by complete surprise. I have learned not to pinch down on exit and those incidents have declined. It is when a yahoo closes from behind that does me in 10 for 10.

So rather than complain about the yahoos who will not change, I will choose to learn ways to succeed in the hostile environment.

I don't win them all but I place well nearly every race. If I encounter a yahoo near the end of an event, I back off a tad and accept my fate and pocket the credits, 4th pays better than 7th.

I hear that Doc! I have spent a lap and a half following someone who is out of control simply to try and maintain my 5th spot. Once they get sideways enough I try to squeeze by and bam, they tag you. lol
I agree it's best to just get a podium or even top 5.

It seems like the first 4 turns or so require full on power slides, for ghost mode, the next two late braking, then any gap you have built will allow you to run your best laps. Unless another fast guy has come thru in front or just behind you. Then drafting makes it tuff to hold them off and any small gap you can get allows a little comfort for good laps.

Btw: I finished second a couple of times today to a Japanese fellow, LSDseo or something like that. He litterally drifted Every corner and ran 5:51's every time he got a clean start, sideways, smoke billowing off the tires. I could hardly drive straight watching and laughing, while pissed I couldn't catch him with my mediocre grey car.

It's fun, collecting credits and filling the garage. I'm up to 260 cars! Before my knee surgery and this QM I had 105.

Last edited:
I hear that Doc! I have spent a lap and a half following someone who is out of control simply to try and maintain my 5th spot. Once they get sideways enough I try to squeeze by and bam, they tag you. lol
I agree it's best to just get a podium or even top 5.

It seems like the first 4 turns or so require full on power slides, for ghost mode, the next two late braking, then any gap you have built will allow you to run your best laps. Unless another fast guy has come thru in front or just behind you. Then drafting makes it tuff to hold them off and any small gap you can get allows a little comfort for good laps.

Btw: I finished second a couple of times today to a Japanese fellow, LSDseo or something like that. He litterally drifted Every corner and ran 5:51's every time he got a clean start, sideways, smoke billowing off the tires. I could hardly drive straight watching and laughing, while pissed I couldn't catch him with my mediocre grey car.

It's fun, collecting credits and filling the garage. I'm up to 260 cars! Before my knee surgery and this QM I had 105.
LSDhen is the handle I believe. Crazy fast, power sliding the turns but there is no margin left for error and I've gotten ahead a couple of times. Only won once as I recall though, I just can't match the speed 4:59.xxx's are seen once or twice a session.

It would be a hoot to group up some of the fair drivers and Skype for audio, not to flood out others but to scrap it out and earn some $$$.

Just because you can cut and make time, doesn't mean you should do it. You start cutting like that and People will start to avoid you and give you a bad rep.

Me and my bud were racing today and 2 idiots were cutting the corners and also taking people out by ramming into the wall off the start and bumping sideways when passing.

What's funny is one of the guys messaged my friend and said sorry! But he kept cutting the corners even after that. We would have won most of the races had they not cut.

Idiots like that are why we have avoided online and quick match the last 5 or 6 years. They are cheating people out of the top money payouts they deserve.

Last edited:
I "tried" to enter a quick match tonight and received a new message.

Try again next year.jpg

LSDhen is the handle I believe. Crazy fast, power sliding the turns but there is no margin left for error and I've gotten ahead a couple of times. Only won once as I recall though, I just can't match the speed 4:59.xxx's are seen once or twice a session.

It would be a hoot to group up some of the fair drivers and Skype for audio, not to flood out others but to scrap it out and earn some $$$.
Is there no way to voice chat within the game?

Back