R/C car thread!

Bought a HSP Monster Truck for my dog to chase around the dog park. For a cheap, ready to run... well it cops a hiding and holds up quite well.
Only problem with HSP is part support. The BL systems they use are actually rated quite high, even a decent 2S will give it some poke.

Rigged up some new headlights for my Exo Terra, since my RC4WD light bar broke lol...
IMG_0046s.jpg

So, I bought myself a new r/c as a birthday present to myself... then spent 9 hours putting it together...
Tamiya TB-04 Pro II:
IMAG0094.jpg

IMAG0095.jpg

Castle Creations Sidewinder III ESC
Castle Creations 4600kv brushless motor
Futaba R203 3 channel reciever
Hitec HS-5645MG servo

I know this isn't exactly a car :D

702493_10152813284201942_993694260_n.jpg
10735957_10152813284401942_1513160587_n.jpg
10735755_10152813284341942_442843374_n.jpg
10721376_10152813284251942_1477786417_n.jpg
10723383_10152813284376942_1351370665_n.jpg
10723557_10152813284326942_2080618393_n.jpg

My Proboat Impulse 31 V2 with these modifications:

- Hifei Swordfish Pro+ 200A-8S ESC (mainly for the data logging feature)
- Leopard 4074-B 1400kv motor
- Kintec 4074 water cooling jacket
- Traxxas 2056 Servo
- Octura Flex Hex 5mm to .187 collet
- Aeromarine .187 with hardened stub and drive dog
- OSE upgraded turn fins
- Kintec 3mm ID cooling lines
- Half-dual cooling loop setup
- Aeomarine Large Bore water outlets
- Dual 6.8mm cooling inlet rings
- Castle Creations 6.5mm polarized bullets
- Stock MR200 Receiver (waterproofed with liquid electrical tape)
- Running both antennas inside the hull, one on each side.
- Venom 1600mAh 6v receiver pack

Running on 6S in this video

And the graph from Swordfish ESC data logger:

ScreenHunter_01 Nov. 08 09.53.jpg

Oh hey, found it.

Ok, so I'm new to RC cars and vehicles and stuff, but I've decided I want to put a FPV camera in an RC car then modify a racing wheel so the driver can control the car like a sort of simulator. I'm not new to electronics so I think this is within my capability - famous last words - but I was wondering if any of you have any knowledge on the FPV camera Tx/Rx part.

This is the camera I'm looking to build: http://flitetest.com/articles/diy-micro-5-8ghz-fpv
I don't have a huge budget for this, though, so I'd like the receiver to ideally cost around £50, £80 at the very most - I've seen some for £200, some for £32 - but I don't really know what I should be looking for exactly. Does it matter? Do different transmitters have different resolutions or latency or anything like that?

Also, can anyone recommend some decent but cheap-ish entry level RC cars (but not total junk, please) I could use as a base? Something usable on rough ground, maybe, or something that can slide a little? Or is that just a case of different tyres? Also, if I wanted to add additional servos (I would like to be able to pan the camera, maybe with head tracking) can you get sort of modular cars that have a provision for that sort of thing?

Thanks!

Also, can anyone recommend some decent but cheap-ish entry level RC cars (but not total junk, please) I could use as a base? Something usable on rough ground, maybe, or something that can slide a little? Or is that just a case of different tyres? Also, if I wanted to add additional servos (I would like to be able to pan the camera, maybe with head tracking) can you get sort of modular cars that have a provision for that sort of thing?

Thanks!
I presume you're looking 1/10th scale?

hsv
I presume you're looking 1/10th scale?

I have no idea, just anything that isn't super expensive. Honestly I'm completely new to RC cars, what sort of difference does the scale make beyond the size? I mean in terms of speed, range, battery life and all that. Or is it just the size?

I have no idea, just anything that isn't super expensive. Honestly I'm completely new to RC cars, what sort of difference does the scale make beyond the size? I mean in terms of speed, range, battery life and all that. Or is it just the size?
Scale alters what equipment you can use in it. A bog standard RTR 1/10th scale buggy is guaranteed to have a 540 can, waterproof ESC, probably a Deans connector since Tamiyas are becoming less common, a cheap plastic servo (which will probably be the first thing to go), and a 2.4ghz TX/RX. Scale means very little in terms of speed; since it's all dependent on what electrics you use. Speed is all down to your LiPos, ESC settings and motor, range barely matters anymore because it'll be miles off before it loses a signal, and battery life is down to your motor/ESC and LiPo ratings.

@hsv right you are, I was assuming you can buy decent-ish cars as a pre-built or pre-defined kit. I guess I'll have to look into building the car itself later, but for now the bigger question is if the FPV camera is compatible with any 5.8GHz Rx or if it has to be something specific because if I need an expensive Rx I'll probably just can the whole thing!

@hsv right you are, I was assuming you can buy decent-ish cars as a pre-built or pre-defined kit.
You can buy a Ready To Run car, they aren't fast, nor do they have the greatest electrics, but they'll get you done. Part support is your biggest factor.

I'd say something like this would be a good bet, lot of ground clearance and stability compared to a buggy, easy to maintain, the shocks are surprisingly neat too (plastic bodies but threaded and with anodised bottom caps).

ftx5538b.jpg

In other news, THANK YOU TAMIYA. :drool:

58598.jpg

I require that Super GT NSX body. :drool:
I did get a couple HPI bodies though, a Dodge Challenger T/A and a Dodge Viper GTS-R Oreca. The Viper is an older body and doesn't have pre-cut decals like modern HPI bodies. Might start on them this coming weekend.

hsv
Nice, what motor/ESC you running in that?
ESC - TrackStar 60A
Motor - INIX Brushless 10T 3930 KV.

BTW, my old Yokomo FC3S body that I've used in the 2012 and '13 seasons. The chassis is pretty beaten up, I'm planning to get it repaired soon, or get a new Team Magic and use the old one as a spare parts donor.
image.jpg

And suddenly, topic revival:
IMAG0187.jpg

IMAG0188.jpg

IMAG0190.jpg

^ Just finished another body for my TB-04 and TA-06. A Tamiya R34 Z-Tune GT, which also has lights as you can see :sly:
Might take a new group shot of all of my r/c cars tonight...

Stunning! Where did you get the R34 shell? Also what Blue is that if I may ask? Its not Bayside blue is it??

Its not very old, being from around 2006 or so lol. Not as old as the HPI Viper GTS-R body I have anyway :sly:
I got the body from Tower Hobbies around a year ago. Also have another that I painted black. As for the blue color, I'd have to look for the can when I get off work.
Also this:
IMAG0192.jpg

15-20 years ago I was really into RC cars, specially Tamiyas cars. I loved that you had to build them yourself. I had The Grasshopper, Blitzer Beetle and a touring car of sorts, I forget which one, I think I was a Vauxhall/Opel.
Fast forward to last summer, I was helping my nephew assemble a Lego car, and got the idea that him and I should build an RC car. So I said to him, next summer (2015) you'll be old enough and I think we should build an RC car together. Of course he loved the idea, and the next day I pretty much forgot all about it again. He however did not!
So for nine months every time he sees me, he asks about the car, which one we're gonna build and so forth.
Anyway for the last month I've been trying to decide which one we should build. Initially I was gonna go with the old trusty Grasshopper, however I ended up choosing the Tamiya Neo
image.jpg
A nice entry model, not too difficult to build(my nephew is eight).
Just for funsies I bought the Mabuchi RS-540 sport tuned motor, a full set of ball bearings and upgraded the suspension, other than that it's going to be pure stock.

For the Easter holiday I'm going to my familys beach house, with my family, it won't really be possible to paint it there, so I decided to paint it beforehand (I promise I'll let my nephew build the rest... I think)
The standard white and blue paint scheme isn't really my cup of tea, I instead went with black wheels and a black body with green... Blobs, I guess you could call it
This is where the build is at so far.
image.jpg

I'll update the post as we progress through the build, and when we take it to the beach for a test drive.

Happy Easter. I know mine will be

upgrade the battery to a 3300mah or better unit, you will not be dissapointed in not only the performance but much increased run time...

you should be every bit as happy with the neo grasshopper as the original made you back in the day.

Hello everybody,

When I was a child, I had a R/C McLaren F1. I used to play with it a lot, until one day, I accidentally sat on the controller's antenna, which eventually got bent. I tried to fix it, but that only made things worse, as I actually tore the antenna into 2 pieces. The car itself is not broken, and I believe that it will run smoothly if the controller's still working. I have always had this idea of fixing the antenna, so as to make the car work again. So I'm posting here and asking if you guys can come up with any simple solutions to fix the antenna. (And by which I mean really simple, considering I know nothing about electronics and R/C stuff.) Here are a few pictures of the controller with the broken antenna:

And here's a picture of the R/C car itself:

Right now the antenna is only held together by some sticky tape. If any of you can give me a simple solution to fix the antenna, I'll be hugely obliged. :)

Last edited:
If any of you can give me a simple solution to fix the antenna, I'll be hugely obliged. :)

Does the base of the antenna screw out of the controller? If id does, it might be possible to find a replacement. Do you know what frequency the controller sends signals at?

Does the base of the antenna screw out of the controller? If id does, it might be possible to find a replacement. Do you know what frequency the controller sends signals at?
Yes. The box says 40 MHz. As for the antenna, there is a screw connecting it to the controller, but it appears that the screw is connected to the white wire above, so I don't know if I can unscrew it or not.

The screw could just be pinning some wires to the metal bracket holing on the antenna. as long as it goes back on the same way it should be okay. If possible, try to loosen the antenna while keeping the screw pushed against the bracket.
If you know anyone who might own an RC that runs 40MHz, try the controller with your car to see if all the inputs line up.

So I had an extra Axial SCX-10 kit laying around that I slapped a Castle Sidewinder III 4600kv brushless motor/ESC in it, a Savox steerting servo, and a Futaba R203GF reciever in it and turn it into a "rock racer". Slapped a Tamiya Ford F250 body I had laying around on it as well. Might test it with the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited body it came with some time.
IMAG0243.jpg

And yes, the winch in the front bumper works (an RC4WD unit). :sly:

Back