R.I.P Marco Simoncelli

• Thread starter GT5_X2010
  • 204 comments
I still can't believe :( a tear came into my eye :( :(

Tears almost dripping out of my eyes, but I have hold it because my parents are here. I feel relieve that most Malaysians now realise the situation... However, some are more worried of their money than a lost life.

How I chose to remember the man:

simoncelli650x450.jpg

Image by Ian Cater
That drew a smile to my face. I only really started semi-following MotoGP this year (and most of my attention has been on Moto2), but the way Simoncelli rode, it always looked like he was never going to make the apex, and yet somehow, he always did. Even when he went down today, he looked like he was trying to get the bike back up. And he probably would have made it.

I think that's how I'm going to remember him. Not as someone who died racing, but as someone who could see that tenth of a second that nobody else could. As a racer, is there any better way to be remembered?

RIP Marco. Only hearing this now, and what others say shows you were a great Rising Star. And a talented Rider. Live on in our hearts. :(

I think with this a lot of changes are going to come to motorsport, too dangerous right now.

... and another one bites the dust.

R.I.P. Marco, you had great potential. :(

A news network covered Wheldon's death but not this one. Lame.

You have to feel sorry for Colin and Valentino. I actually think it was Rossi that knocked his helmet off, but this is no time to be arguing over who did what. This is such a tragedy and I think he may be the best, certainly the best to watch, racer that never won in the top class. I hope Hiro Aoyama gets the HRC bike at Valencia, that's really the only partly silver lining on this terrible cloud.
RIP Marco

You have to feel sorry for Colin and Valentino. I actually think it was Rossi that knocked his helmet off, but this is no time to be arguing over who did what. This is such a tragedy and I think he may be the best, certainly the best to watch, racer that never won in the top class. I hope Hiro Aoyama gets the HRC bike at Valencia, that's really the only partly silver lining on this terrible cloud.
RIP Marco

Yeah I just watched the replay a few times and I think you are right. Jeez both of them will be blaming themselves for ever. What a horrible situation.

I am over in italy, and was watching live on tv, never see so many grown men cry. Including myself.

R.I.P SuperSic

I find this image utterly haunting:

1319361076.jpg

I know it's only a picture, but when you look at it, it's almost as if he's looking back at you.

Wow I just watched the video, so horrible R.I.P

I didn't know who he was but this is just shocking and this just after Dan Wheldon.

Did anyone find it strange that the rider close to him after they crashed didn't check on him? I read that he wasn't seriously hurt, but clearly he was hurting at the time. But it seemed so brutal seeing Marco lying there in the middle of the track with no helmet and the other guy is just crouching close to him not even noticing the situation.... Reminded me of that asian kid who got run over by the two vans..

R.I.P It's a dangerous sport!!

Can't believe your gone Marco and Wheldon two massive motorsport stars who will be missed very much RIP.

The other rider was Colin Edwards. He was the one who hit Simoncelli. He himself was injured in the accident, and no doubt knew that there was nothing he could do for Simoncelli. That sounds cold, but I mean that Edwards would have known that Simoncelli would need urgent medical attention. All Edwards could have done was get in the way.

Just woke up, news on televison, OMG, not again.

RIP and condolences to all involved personnally

Did anyone find it strange that the rider close to him after they crashed didn't check on him?

Not at all. He had a dislocated shoulder and there is not a lot he could have done that track marshals couldn't do better.

Did anyone find it strange that the rider close to him after they crashed didn't check on him? I read that he wasn't seriously hurt, but clearly he was hurting at the time. But it seemed so brutal seeing Marco lying there in the middle of the track with no helmet and the other guy is just crouching close to him not even noticing the situation.... Reminded me of that asian kid who got run over by the two vans..

As said by Mike Rotch, he had a dislocated shoulder. And by the way he walked it seems like there was more than just dislocated shoulder. You never know what was going through his mind so there's nothing much that he can do. All was down to the track marshall who obviously did a magnificent job to try and save Marco's life.

Marco was like a mate, which comes to visit you every other weekend for 45 minutes.

Puts on a show for you and makes you laugh. So in a way its like a friend died. :(

Did anyone find it strange that the rider close to him after they crashed didn't check on him?

Strangely enough, no. You could tell that Marco was seriously hurt as soon as he was hit, no one other than someone with a degree in medicine would have a clue what to do, Colin would have only hindered. but that doesn't matter...

What matters is that we have lost a bright talent and an great human being! I had the privilege of meeting Marco at the 2009 Day of Champions at Donington Park and can safely say he was an amazing character, pure blooded racer. You saw that today as he almost saved it today... unfortunately not...

Today we lost a future MotoGP World Champion and a character who made MotoGP moderately interesting this year!

My thoughts go out to Marco's family, friends and colleagues as well as his team boss Fausto Gresini who's suffered this twice now. (Today with Marco as well as Kato at Suzuka 2003)!

R.I.P Marco! Take care in the clouds fella! #58

I always liked him as a driver and also because of his epic hair...

The crash was just shocking. First Colin and then Valentino ran into him, It was like horror when i saw the helmet going off his head and he then lying motionless on the ground. I cant believe what his family and both Colin and Rossi are going through right now, being involved in that horrible crash.

RIP Marco!

Looks like a white Jimi Hendrix.

I just read about this on Autoblog. Very sad. It seems when one person dies, there's alwasy a few after. I don't watch MotoGP, but I did reconize his name as soon as I saw. The reaction of Rossi said it all, R.I.P.

Back