R.I.P Marco Simoncelli

• Thread starter GT5_X2010
  • 204 comments
Something need to be done.
I think it happened in F1 a few years ago where they cut a few lines into the slick tyre to reduce corner speed.

Something needs to be done with the tyres in MotoGP, corner speed needs to be reduced.

Lean angle of these bikes and tyres are insane, the way Simo's bike was on 2 wheels at that lean angle and gripping the tarmac is freakish, that bike should off been down and gone way before the crash.

Its definatley something that needs looking at.

I think it happened in F1 a few years ago where they cut a few lines into the slick tyre to reduce corner speed.

Something needs to be done with the tyres in MotoGP, corner speed needs to be reduced.

Lean angle of these bikes and tyres are insane, the way Simo's bike was on 2 wheels at that lean angle and gripping the tarmac is freakish, that bike should off been down and gone way before the crash.

Motorcycle racing will always be dangerous. Tyres had little to do with Marco's death, he collided with other riders. To make it safe should we force riders to lap at 50mph? Or perhaps play musical chairs instead of racing to decide a winner?

It's a sad day, but Marco knew the risks. Let's not turn this memorial thread into the MotoGP thread.

Did anyone find it strange that the rider close to him after they crashed didn't check on him? I read that he wasn't seriously hurt, but clearly he was hurting at the time. But it seemed so brutal seeing Marco lying there in the middle of the track with no helmet and the other guy is just crouching close to him not even noticing the situation.... Reminded me of that asian kid who got run over by the two vans..

R.I.P It's a dangerous sport!!

Anybody, i mean anybody would have startle when they hit someone. Now, to see Marco lying on the track, Colin just couldn't do anything. He was so shock.

Imagine you my friend, hitting at the back of your close friend in high speed and that close friend lie motionless on the track.

Last edited:
Motorcycle racing will always be dangerous. Tyres had little to do with Marco's death, he collided with other riders. To make it safe should we force riders to lap at 50mph? Or perhaps play musical chairs instead of racing to decide a winner?

It's a sad day, but Marco knew the risks. Let's not turn this memorial thread into the MotoGP thread.

I'm just saying tyres should lose grip before crash and the bike should slide in the gravel together with Simo. That would be my wish, didnt happen tho...

R.I.P Marco

That is true the bike kept gripping and coming to the right... He should have let go off the bike tbh...

I think the thing that made him so popular, his hair, also didnt help the helmet do it's job properly... :guilty: The helmet wasn't strapped properly and it wasn't tightly placed on his head... I think there should be a regulation on hair lenght, as this crash was truly horrific and when a helmet comes off, the most important part of the rider protection, this is not a good sign... :guilty:

RIP Marco...

I'm just saying tyres should lose grip before crash and the bike should slide in the gravel together with Simo. That would be my wish, didnt happen tho...

R.I.P Marco

Marco decided it was worth trying to save it, he was wrong. Would he still be here if he had of let go? Maybe, but that's not what this thread is for. Save safety discussion for the MotoGP thread.

Please lets not turn this into another GTP argument thread like almost every other thread here. Lets show some respect to Supersic and the others involved in this tragedy. RIP

Please lets not turn this into another GTP argument thread like almost every other thread here. Lets show some respect to Supersic and the others involved in this tragedy. RIP

There's a big difference between argument and discussion, however I agree that this thread is for the memory of Simo and nothing else.

Colin was also clutching at his dislocated shoulder.
I think it was Rossi's front tyre that hit Marco in the neck and took off his helmet. There was nothing they could have done to avoid him though.
Terrible way to go.

RIP Simoncelli, this year he proved he was one of the future greats of the sport, shame to have his career cut so short before he could get all the titles he promised.

I haven't seen the crash and don't want to but it sounds similar to Tomizawa's last year at Misano.

http://www.sport1.de/de/motorsport/motorrad/motogp/artikel_472311.html
Einer der Renn-Ärzte, Giuseppe Russo, berichtete: "Wir haben versucht ihn zu reanimieren, auf seinem Nacken war ein Reifenabdruck zu sehen."

This german news text states that one of the race doctors could see a tyre print on his neck.

Holy 🤬 !

Do some of you guys know anything about those helmets? I know it was a big impact to his helmet but isnt there an extra reinforcement (right word?!?) for the neck?

These kind of crashes are very rare where one is hit directly in the neck, I'd guess there is no such safety measure which could have prevented his death... :ill:

What a tragedy, I almost watched this race live, But thought heck ill wake up tomorrow and watch the re-run on Eurosport.

I awoke to switch the Tv on to hear Toby Moody who is the presenter and a famous motorcycle broadcaster, speaking in a solemn voice and sounding very downbeat. At that time his death was not confirmed all he stated was there had been a very serious accident.

Then i started to check the various bike racing media websites.

Constantly refreshing the pages to hope for some good news......alas it wasnt to be.

For those that followed the sport you will know exactly how amazing Marco was. But for those that didnt, I'll tell you a little bit about Marco.
He was truly a breath of fresh air in the current motorcycle racing world, arguably the most exciting rider since a young Valentino Rossi came on the scene.
Dynamic, explosive , fearless , skillfull are all adjectives that do not come close to doing Marco and his riding style justice.
He was destined for the top and would have won a few races this year had it not been for technical problems and youthful over exuberance.

Such a sad day for Bike racing. I've been in bouts of tears as i still recall when i met him at Silverstone how accommodating he was and how friendly.
Ive lost close friends through motorcycling and i know the pain and void their passing leaves there families

Sometimes there is no justice on this earth there really aint.

My thoughts are with your immediate family and friends. Marco passed away fighting, I'm sure as others here have pointed out if he hadn't tried to pick up the bike whilst the front was folding he may well have been here today, a true warrior even till the end.

RIP #58 I will never ever forget you.

Most good helmets use a D ring rather then a clip, and if properly fastened would be very unlikely to come off in normal circumstances. I guess a wheel/tyre has more than enough force to snap it it it clean off.

Marco uses an AGV helmet, I have see some of the AGV's you can buy with a clip type fastener which Is seen as less safe, but it would be unlikely that his lid would not use the D ring type which is much more secure.

http://www.sport1.de/de/motorsport/motorrad/motogp/artikel_472311.html

This german news text states that one of the race doctors could see a tyre print on his neck.

Holy 🤬 !

:eek:

I'm now watching the news and what can I say. Colin hit the back of his waist while Rossi couldn't avoid him - hit him on his neck that it spat off his helmet.

Some say that he should've let go off the bike but it happened in a matter of seconds. I mean, really fast. His right leg was completely stuck under his bike so yeah, there's nothing much he could do.

I can`t believe that Marco is gone. I want to wake up from this nightmare and watch him racing again!

How horrible... He was such a nice person, he was just so different from all the other drivers. As a driver he was very fast and fearless, as a person he was friendly, always laughing and funny as hell.

Now he has gone. What a terrible week in motorsports. First Dan, now Marco.

I really hope the s*hit does not come as 3s, I dont know but I have a very terrible feeling in my stomach about the F1 race next week...

Godspeed Marco, I will never forget you!

RIP: Marco

I don't follow motogp much, however was watching part of the race today, (I missed the accident though), very sad that someone so young and loved by so many people died.

Too much tragedy in the racing world the last week. Two former Indy winners too (I know Simoncelli won the 250cc class while here in 2009 but a win is still a win). R.I.P Marco.

As I hear Valentino's front wheel took his helmet of and probably gave him the fatal hit. Ofcourse there nothing he could do.

I fear Rossi will be retiring after this. With Simo gone now, Moto GP lost a lot.

R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli. Since Wheldon's crash last week, I've had a very bad feeling there will be a serious accident in today's Nascar race at Talladega. :nervous: Let's all hope and pray that nothing happens....

I was saddened to hear of Dan's fatal accident last week, hadn't followed his career very closely but as a fan of motorsports news of this kind crops up occasionally and it's never good to hear.

Have been an avid fan of Moto GP for many years now and seeing this mornings events unfold has had me close to tears for most of the day.
Marco was a genuinely talented rider who without a doubt would have been a world champion one day, he was great to watch on and off the track. He wasn't one for the trackside politics, he was a racer pure and simple and for that he had my utmost respect.

A bright star of the future taken far too soon...

Ciao Super Sic... Keep it pinned forever man.

Back