R.I.P Marco Simoncelli

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by GT5_X2010, Oct 23, 2011.

1. PantalonUK

PantalonUK

:tup::tup::tup:

RIP Marco

The world of motorsport is a poorer place without you

2. Rutter200_VR46

Rutter200_VR46 Premium

The rumours going saying Vale is going to retire is false. Uccio has confirmed this. I'm certain Valentino will want to go out and win for #58 and when he does it will be so emotional.

Even this morning it still hasn't sunk in that Super Sic is gone. I'm reading the websites but still it's like this can't be true :(

3. mattyr6

mattyr6

RIP Marco, a really great guy and rider too... There's not enough words to explain.
    I live near his hometown and i feel bad about this sudden and huge loss, he was genuine and i'm feeling like missing a friend.

Race your life in heaven SuperSic.
    [​IMG]

4. Dustone

Dustone

RIP Marco :guilty: you made Moto GP exciting. You will be missed!

5. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

6. Jaywalker

Jaywalker (Banned)

R.I.P. #58. Moto GP is a poorer place with your passing. Vaya con Dios...

7. Tom

Tom Premium

Ciao Marco, you will be missed.

8. A.Rackers

A.Rackers

R.I.P marco me afro bro we all know you will be up there teaching god how to ride a bike aswell as you do :-(

9. Touring Mars

Touring Mars Moderator

A terrible accident and a terrible loss...

R.I.P. Marco

10. Rutter200_VR46

Rutter200_VR46 Premium

Yea, nothing could be done.

Vale has just tweeted a couple of pictures of him and Marco battling in Misano and of them together in Sepang back in February test.. Words probably can't describe how he feels.

@valeyellow46

11. F1 fan

F1 fan Premium

I agree. It's unavoidable in motorbike racing. In the past three years, it happened to Tomizawa, it happened to Craig Jones. Now it happened to Marco. I'm sure it has happened to many others.

The only way to reduce the possibility of it happening is to stagger the start like they do on the isle of man. Obviously, the gap between them would have to be much shorter due to the difference in circuit length. I'm not very keen on this idea though.

12. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

Well, for once I don't agree. There's ALWAYS something to look for. Neck protection, Helmet strengh improved.

They did it in F1 after Massa (helmet investigation and improvement). Of course we can always say that no helmet will be strong enough for a biiger piece of suspension, that some accidents will be fatal under the right (wrong) circumstances.

But there always room to improve, and MotoGP should look carefully at the protection the suits can provide in the chest area, at finding a way to protect even better necks and heads.

My two cents, as a biker myself. With the hope that Marco now rests in peace in biker's heaven.

13. Rutter200_VR46

Rutter200_VR46 Premium

I can see what you mean but imo this will never happen.

Alot has been said about the protection but what can be done? At the force Marco was struck at not much could have helped. The guys need to be able to move around freely on the bike to ride.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  14. F1 fan

F1 fan Premium

I never said they could do no more to improve protection for the rider. My entire post was based around the fact that when a rider goes down on the racing line directly in front of other riders travelling at more than 100 mph, his chances are very slim regardless of the amount of protection.

In the past 3 years or so, we have lost Shoya Tomizawa, Craig Jones, Marco Simoncelli and Peter Lenz (who I forgot about in my last post) because they have fell directly in front of other riders who could not avoid them and have been struck by another bike.

Regardless of the research done on rider protection, it is near impossible to prevent such drastic injuries. The fact that Marco's helmet was ripped off and he had tire marks on his neck is proof that they are years away from a solution.

Until then, whenever a rider falls and is struck at speed in the head/neck/back/chest, he is likely to die. And it is currently unavoidable.

15. nismo3

nismo3

I had this race record overnight on my DVR. When I heard what had happened, there was just no way I could watch it. R.I.P Marco

16. Prince.M5

Prince.M5

Star Sports show Engine Block made an interview with him on Thursday and from what he said, he seem to have a good future ahead. Just 2 seasons in MotoGP is just too short. Their tribute videos are a very good one that just like Wheldon's, I shed tears. The press conference with the Medical Center doctor was also a tough one to listen to. :(

17. Rue

Rue Premium

This has really hit me hard. I feel hollow inside. Talented, brave, sometimes controversial but nothing short of one of the nicest guys you could meet. I was looking forward to watching Marco's career blossom, but tragically that not going to happen. Tragedies occur every day, but this one has really hurt. Going to miss the wiry bugger. Thoughts are with the fans and especially his family - also, Rossi and Edwards. Miss you already, big man.

18. sumbrownkid

sumbrownkid Premium

How sad for the motoring world. Two racers meeting the most unfortunate fate.

It goes to show no matter how safe you make racing, it still takes courage to get behind the wheel and handle bar.

19. Kakumaki

Kakumaki

I saw him first time racing live at Imola in 2009 when he got a podium in race 2, and also at Misano this year, he always got a joke and a smile for everyone, rest in peace SuperSic!

20. Coxis

Coxis

It's really shocking to see how his helmet went flying off after the second bike hit him... :(

RIP. What a bad month for motorsport.

21. Lissa

Lissa Premium

22. GTR4T

GTR4T

sad...RIP

23. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch Staff Emeritus

24. GOTMAXPOWER

GOTMAXPOWER

I've had an idea, a 'Marco Simoncelli trophy' for highest ranked rider on a satelite bike at the end of each season in honour of his great underdog performances.

25. boiltheocean

boiltheocean Premium

That's a brilliant idea, it would be such a great way to remember Marco.

26. Northstar

Northstar Premium

Or to who has the wackiest hair every year.:lol:

On the other hand I think your idea is better.:tup:

27. mikeonthebike

mikeonthebike

very sad month in motorsports!!! very sickening to watch a great rider go out like this....thoughts and prayers go out to his fans, friends and family as well as Rossi and Edwards......Can't imagine how they feel right now R.I.P.

28. DrTrebor007

DrTrebor007

[​IMG]
    This is what He'd be doing...
    R.I.P. Fella
    Thoughts are with your Family :(

29. alonsof1fan91

alonsof1fan91

A few days gone and I still can`t believe he is gone.

I think last sunday was the day music died for me.
    My heart just doesn`t want to warm up for motorsport anymore, especially MotoGP.

I don`t know, but when I was younger, I always dreamed of making my bike license and then buying myself my own bike to do some road tours. Later I abandonned that idea because it is so dangeours.
    But now I will do it because eventhough I never met him, Marco teached me to never give up and always try to make the best of myself. I will get my bike license and buy myself a honda and his helmet, this is going to be my way of paying tribute too that great person we lost sunday morning.

30. Rich S

Rich S

RIP, I watched a portion of that race today I think, but didnt finish it, had to leave to do something. Didnt see the incident.