R.I.P Marco Simoncelli

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by GT5_X2010, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Neal

Neal Premium

Bloody hell, just turned the tv on to watch the recorded race so have only just found out about it. I'm devastated.

R.I.P Marco. You were a delight to watch on the bike and a real character off it, MotoGP will not be the same without you. The many warm comments on GTP are proof of that :tup:

My thoughts are with his family, friends and team plus Vale and Colin who must be beside themselves.

2. adamp93

adamp93

He fell off, tried to pick it up, and the tyres got some grip which sent him back across the track. It really is a bizarre incident so if's and but's are better left out.

3. Wiegert

Wiegert Premium

I'm truly saddened by this news, it has been such a terrible month in the world of Motorsport.

R.I.P. Marco.

4. LogiForce

LogiForce Premium

I just watched this footage and it's almost like he's already having a seizure of some sort before he falls off of his bike. Anyway, R.I.P. to another great name in racing history.

youtube snip

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2011
  5. BobbyBRAKEaNek

BobbyBRAKEaNek

Said day, R.I.P Marco.
    A few pics I took of him at Indy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. lbsf1

lbsf1

If your talking about him sticking his leg out, I think that just him overbalancing as the bike looses grip, the fact he is still on the bike is what caused the bike to have that extra angle to grip, and from then he is just a passenger, the bike is ontop of him and he is sliding along the ground.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2011
  7. Trebor555

Trebor555

R.I.P Marco Simoncelli, awful crash to watch.
    Edwards and Rossi must feel terrible, but they couldn't do anything to stop it
    very sad day

8. PeterJB

PeterJB Premium

What I want o know is how his helmet came off. The straps on those should be buckled-tight, may the buckle broke, or the strap split.

9. mekonrider

mekonrider

Are the videos really necessary in a tribute thread?

RIP Marco. You gave it your all and what more is there to give.

10. F_Filipe

F_Filipe

Its Sad To Hear This Again, Another Death In Motorsport

Rest In Peace, Marco :(

11. lbsf1

lbsf1

Either the strap broke (either on the strap or where its connected to the helmet), or god forbid the strap ripped through his jaw.

The amount of force exerted on it by the other bike's would be enough to make any of those possible.

12. F_Filipe

F_Filipe

The Worst Month for Motorsport, First, Dan Wheldon Then Marco Simoncelli

C´mon October Finish Quick

13. Sach

Sach

Man, terrible times in motorsport. RIP, Marco.

14. SkateNj

SkateNj

I was watching nascar earlier today and they talked about a 3rd driver to die this week. He raced some sort of offroad racing thats all i remember
    Anyway R.I.P. To all drivers who lost their lives this week

15. LewyOs

LewyOs

Can we take the videos out please. I've seen it once, I don't want to see it ever again.

16. nitrorocks

nitrorocks

First Rick Huseman, then Dan Wheldon, now Marco Simoncelli. Theres are 3. I bet Rossi will retire because of this, lets hope not. RIP Marco

17. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Fortunately, no. Medical crews attempted CPR for forty-five minutes. If the strap had torn through his jaw, CPR would not have been possible - and there would have been blood everywhere. I admit that when I first saw the helmet rolling away, I was terrified that his head was still in it.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95634

MotoGP's resident surgeon says Simoncelli died of multiple chest, neck and head injuries.

18. KWZX10

KWZX10

Sadly, i believe this too about Vale. This was a difficult year for him and ducati, his worst year probably, and after this tragedy it's 10000 times worst.
    But he's a champion and a warrior, maybe now he want to win again for Marco.

19. SkateNj

SkateNj

Wow that sucks rick died in an emergency landing. Thankfully it was only a small plane

20. Duke999R

Duke999R

Ciao SuperSic, sei stato un grande campione!

21. Spacegoat

Spacegoat Premium

Another very sad day for the world of Motorsports. :(

R.I.P Marco Simoncelli.

22. niky

niky Moderator

I turned on that race while it was playing live, but I had to turn it off because I was cooking at the time, and I never saw it happen. I don't think I could've taken it. Every crash in MotoGP makes me cringe, as I fear the worst, and in this case, my fears would have been realized...

Simoncelli was undoubtedly a star. One of those wizards of MotoGP who seems inhuman and indestructible. You see these guys week-in and week-out ride flat out, crash, get up, set a broken bone or two and get back in the saddle again.

You never think the worst will happen, but it can, and inevitably, it does.

Rest in Peace, Marco. Many happy trails up there...

23. Northstar

Northstar Premium

R.I.P. Super Sic:(

This has been a very bad week for motorsports.

24. nitrorocks

nitrorocks

Yes and yes

25. CarolinaBlue704

CarolinaBlue704

26. KWZX10

KWZX10

Before i'm going to sleep, i want to remember this. :(

[​IMG]

27. Prince.M5

Prince.M5

A tribute to our late Marco Simoncelli by Los MiniBikers. I shed some tears watching this. I'll be missing this, such a character in the paddock.

28. mattythedog

mattythedog Premium

Trying to solve this risk of being run over is difficult, because there isn't much that could be done. Stronger leathers maybe, or a guard in front of the front wheel, like a mud guard, but stronger.

29. Sohvakettu

Sohvakettu

I first noticed Simoncelli earlier this year after watching a MotoGP race after a long break. He had apparently some issue with Pedrosa (i think) and i was just thinking "that ain't nice". But when i saw the race it was immediately apparent how good and fast he was even though it wasn't his best race. A huge loss to future of MotoGP and fans. Also can't even imagine what his family and friends must be going through right now...

30. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

It wouldn't have done anything. Simoncelli was not injured because he was hit by the wheel of Edwards' bike, but because he was hit by Edwards' bike. A wheelguard would have hit Simoncelli with the same amount of force behind it as the wheel.

Pedrosa accused him of being an idiot after they had an on-track clash that put him out for three races.