R: Racing Evolution: Refining Reality

This game actually has two parts in its campaign mode that I still remember heavily to this day.

I'll spoiler, just incase Adam's excellent piece intrigues anyone to give this a go.

Driving the Fiat 500 against proper racing cars. This was so random and I loved it as a kid.

Being forced to throw the race at Suzuka to progress in the story mode. Didn't see it coming and I couldn't have been the only person to try and win anyway. :lol:

I never got around to completing the story, but this game was still very enjoyable for what it offered on the GameCube. I'm glad you mentioned those two moments from the story since they both stick out for me as well, @Brend. You and I both tried the same thing in the second spoiler. :lol:

Such a fun game! I actually kind of liked the pressure meter. Played a lot visually like an Ace Combat game if it were motorsports. Never finished it, but had some really fun times with it.

This game actually has two parts in its campaign mode that I still remember heavily to this day.

I'll spoiler, just incase Adam's excellent piece intrigues anyone to give this a go.

Driving the Fiat 500 against proper racing cars. This was so random and I loved it as a kid.

Being forced to throw the race at Suzuka to progress in the story mode. Didn't see it coming and I couldn't have been the only person to try and win anyway. :lol:

First one was and still is hilarious, I was so surprised when I was actually competitive. Second was a lame twist in retrospect but as a 9-year-old it may as well have been Aeris dying in FF7, I was astonished and couldn't believe what they were asking me to do. But then I feel like the story instantly forgets it ever happened! :lol:

I ended up revisiting this a few years ago and spent a decent chunk of time working through Event Challenge mode, which is actually the real meat of the game, although it's your average relatively soulless checklist of events. It's the most serious racing the game offers, though, compared to the rapid progression and mild challenge of Racing Life. Years after playing the game the first time, I had actually forgotten about Event Challenge mode, and it appears maybe @glassjaw did too. :P

I actually think of the Project CARS franchise as a bit of a successor to this game. It's published by Namco; steering with a controller requires a finer touch than most games, which makes it feel like playing R:RE at times; and for cars you have only preset liveries/colors and mainly track-based setups to choose from, including roadcars, emphasizing on-track action instead of painting, customizing, or upgrading cars (though R:RE had level-based performance upgrades). You also have The Stig chattering at you over the radio, cheering you on and encouraging you to pass the next car.

Though this game failed to satiate my needs for a console racing sim back in the day, leading me to supplement my GameCube with a PS2, I have to say I now regard this game more fondly than Gran Turismo 3. It has more flavor and charm, a clearer focus, and is more approachable to replay again.

First one was and still is hilarious, I was so surprised when I was actually competitive. Second was a lame twist in retrospect but as a 9-year-old it may as well have been Aeris dying in FF7, I was astonished and couldn't believe what they were asking me to do. But then I feel like the story instantly forgets it ever happened! :lol:
It's funny because it does nothing to advance the plot and isn't really referenced why it was such a big deal in the first place.

Years after playing the game the first time, I had actually forgotten about Event Challenge mode, and it appears maybe @glassjaw did too. :P

It is, as you say, a relatively soulless checklist after all. Though there are a lot of interesting prizes hiding in there, like unique liveries for a bunch of cars. I admit when I revisited the game for this piece, I didn't dive back into Event Challenge.

It is, as you say, a relatively soulless checklist after all. Though there are a lot of interesting prizes hiding in there, like unique liveries for a bunch of cars. I admit when I revisited the game for this piece, I didn't dive back into Event Challenge.
I did the races for the liveries early on, and I also remember grinding drag races for cash. When I came back, what surprised me was the length and challenge of some of the events compared to the GT/Forza standard. The overall charm of the game helped make up for the absence of charm in the front end. :) Playing through it wasn't as dour to me as FM4's Event List. :yuck:

Never knew it existed. Much like Enthusia until a few years ago. That's a relatively unknown PS2 game that was actually a really good racing game. In my opinion Enthusia was second only to GT in that generation and still has better physics than Forza to this day. Though that's not saying much :lol:

Never knew it existed. Much like Enthusia until a few years ago. That's a relatively unknown PS2 game that was actually a really good racing game. In my opinion Enthusia was second only to GT in that generation and still has better physics than Forza to this day. Though that's not saying much :lol:

Let me guess, you think Forza's cars drive like they're on ice and yet it's totally understeery too?

VXR
Let me guess, you think Forza's cars drive like they're on ice and yet it's totally understeery too?

If it's a straight comparison of pad physics, I have to say I much prefer Forza to Enthusia. I know Enthusia is a cult favorite but I always found that game undriveable with a Dual Shock. Haven't played it in a while but I think it had something to do with severe input lag.

Enthusia is fairly tough to manage if there's any input latency with your display, but the steering response is just dampened more than usual. You have to commit earlier to your intended steering input.

I think the fact this was a non Ridge Racer type game made it not as liked among most gamers. There was a time I finally got to play it, and I think I played the Gamecube version. Most people would easily write this off as just another Gran Turismo clone. If you ask me, I would want to get this game for my PS2. The one thing I can really recall about RRE was its soundtrack, and "Liquid Soul" is my favorite song from the soundtrack I heard. I liked the idea of pressuring leading drivers into mistakes. You can do wonders stuffing your car into a leading driver's mirrors.

Most important about this game is the fact it has a storyline. I usually don't prefer storylines in racing/driving games, but as long as you do it right, it can be enjoyable. That's why I was fond of the first ToCA Race Driver game but then not so fond of Diddy Kong Racing. I really would want to play through "R: Racing Evolution" even today.

This game has its intrigue. I am not sure if I would add it to my underrated racing game list like I do Enthusia Professional Racing and Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 Drift, though.

I wish I liked it as much as many people do - but me and my buddy played it for our Youtube channel, and unfortunately the video became a Beatdown - meaning we didn't like it much at all.

It's a shame as it has some great ideas - in theory the pressure meter was a clever mechanic, the attempt at a story and the fact it had a female protoganist, especially in the hyper-macho world of motorsport and gaming, was notable and should be applauded.

However, for us the physics were kinda dull, the storyline and event progression felt very weird - including an inexcusable driving mission involving racing your own teammates at Suzuka, in a Fiat 500, that for some reason had been upgraded so it was FASTER THAN A VIPER GTS-R?! :crazy: Having all the other drivers talking on the same radio channel was a decent attempt to add story and character elements but it just got annoying, hearing a dozen people yacking away and bleating on the radios when you're trying to concentrate on racing is a disaster. Also the collision physics were very suspect at times.

Oddly, the pressure meter for me just felt badly implemented? Like, it was actually faster to just overtake people most of the time, and the way just following behind someone at a reasonable distance - not even what would be considered tailgating on the public roads! - would cause someone to go 'ARRGH I CAN'T COPE WITH THIS' and spin wildly off the track, almost like they're taking a dive to win a penalty in a football match. Hilarious, but unintentionally so? :confused:

Far from the worst game ever, and I appreciate it had a unique appeal and ideas. If you like it that's fine, just wasn't for me.

I wish I liked it as much as many people do - but me and my buddy played it for our Youtube channel, and unfortunately the video became a Beatdown - meaning we didn't like it much at all.

It's a shame as it has some great ideas - in theory the pressure meter was a clever mechanic, the attempt at a story and the fact it had a female protoganist, especially in the hyper-macho world of motorsport and gaming, was notable and should be applauded.

However, for us the physics were kinda dull, the storyline and event progression felt very weird - including an inexcusable driving mission involving racing your own teammates at Suzuka, in a Fiat 500, that for some reason had been upgraded so it was FASTER THAN A VIPER GTS-R?! :crazy: Having all the other drivers talking on the same radio channel was a decent attempt to add story and character elements but it just got annoying, hearing a dozen people yacking away and bleating on the radios when you're trying to concentrate on racing is a disaster. Also the collision physics were very suspect at times.

Oddly, the pressure meter for me just felt badly implemented? Like, it was actually faster to just overtake people most of the time, and the way just following behind someone at a reasonable distance - not even what would be considered tailgating on the public roads! - would cause someone to go 'ARRGH I CAN'T COPE WITH THIS' and spin wildly off the track, almost like they're taking a dive to win a penalty in a football match. Hilarious, but unintentionally so? :confused:

Far from the worst game ever, and I appreciate it had a unique appeal and ideas. If you like it that's fine, just wasn't for me.

I've just started watching it after watching your Beatdown on Ride to Hell. You've got yourselves a follower.

The Pressure system...

I didn't have to be faster than the rival. I just had to fill their rear view mirror for about 5-10 seconds. Once the meter started to flash, I just had to wait for them to make a race (and life) ending mistake. Those mistakes were sometimes cringe worthy, like ploughing straight into a side wall, turning way too late, tank slappers from nowhere and just going off the racing line and getting on the brakes. Each of these pressurized faults came with a Jonny Bravo like death quote. And before anyone disagrees; yes, "Aiiieeee" is one of them. :lol:

It doesn't help that your crew chief encouraged the carnage. He often said to "Send them into the side wall", and was quick to congratulate you once your rival attempted to commit suicide. Then again, I shouldn't be surprised. This was the man who replaced his gravely wounded driver with the first EMT he could find. Perhaps he was thinking that you as a driver with EMT training, would be able to heal your self, incase you were to succumb to the same stress and pressure that plagues this racing league. Thankfully you have more fortitude than the rest of your peers, because you are never pressured. And to spite your crew chief call for carnage, you don't oblige his requests... I hope.

It's not a game that takes itself very seriously, and I don't see a problem with that. I wish more western game developers would take after the Japanese in that respect.

As for the Pressure mechanic, I regarded it as a "clean" way to knock out your fastest rival(s), not something you should use to pass every single car, nor something that was intended to be realistic.

If it's a straight comparison of pad physics, I have to say I much prefer Forza to Enthusia. I know Enthusia is a cult favorite but I always found that game undriveable with a Dual Shock. Haven't played it in a while but I think it had something to do with severe input lag.

I've only played Enthusia on PCSX2 which probably mitigates any input lag the original had. The driving is very natural, and realistic for a simcade.

handling to something much more similar to Gran Turismo, albeit a little more forgiving.
Funny because just playing this game I felt the opposite: physics unforgiveness are staggering for an simcade racer approaching levels of sims like Assetto Corsa. Not turning ABS and TCS off helps but only to an extent.
I've only played Enthusia on PCSX2 which probably mitigates any input lag the original had. The driving is very natural, and realistic for a simcade.
Like most of emulators I think PCSX2 only increases input lag. The only exception is recent "run-ahead" feature in RetroArch.

Man this game. It's a been long time since I last played it but I enjoyed it when I still had my copy of R Racing Evolution.

For starters the storyline was decent for me at least, the car list was also neat for its time (though I would like to play the PAL version just to try out the TVR Cerbera Speed 12 and others), and the pressure system like what others said was clever (and it probably was the predecessor to Juiced 2's spooking system). Physics-wise I'm alright with it.

All in all not a bad racing game. It's one of those PS2 racing gems that you'd like to try someday when peeps talk about it.

While I don't qualify "R: Racing Evolution" as a proper Ridge Racer title, it is surely a game that I've always wanted to play through. I didn't play the entire career or anything when I played it on a Gamecube, I did get to enjoy enough of it to judge it. I was really convinced at this game when I saw a YouTube video about if "R: Racing Evolution" is underrated. On that note, I'll say this game is about as underrated as "Enthusia Professional Racing" or "Tokyo Xtreme Racer Drift 2." On the music front, "Liquid Soul" is both a smooth and sexy song. It's easily my favorite in the game. This game does have a great soundtrack, as do most Ridge Racer games.

I don't have "R: Racing Evolution" in my collection. Granted I find a good secondhand version of this game, you bet I'm going to play this game and try to beat it.

Back