R.S.01 GT3 handling issue

• Thread starter stevewf1
  • 133 comments
Trackday 101. Never be off the throttle mid corner.

I do trackdays mostly on motorcycles, but the above statement is true for cars as well. If you are off throttle mid corner, you lose control.

Aka "trailing throttle over steer"

This is where a left foot braking technique comes in handy. Full brakes on the approach and, at most, to the apex. You should be picking up the throttle just before the apex and holding it steady through the corner, balancing the car on the throttle. Then, once the car is pointing down the straight, bleed in more throttle.

Thanks. I've spent a lot of time on various tracks in various cars. We'd call it lift off oversteer over here and it can be as much of a help as it can be a hindrance in various situations. I believe there would be many instances where one would be off the throttle mid corner both in the game and IRL.

We're talking specifically about a set of circumstances that occurs in a specific video game with one car, in one corner, on one circuit, which, as I mentioned above is due to a trait of that car in that situation. I'm not alone in this so was hoping too establish the root cause such that PD can make a tweak to a diff setting or whatever it is. Otherwise, we're struggling to contain an issue which costs around 0.7 to 1 sec per lap to drive around and two or three times that, minimum, if the car rotates.

Trackday 101. Never be off the throttle mid corner.

I do trackdays mostly on motorcycles, but the above statement is true for cars as well. If you are off throttle mid corner, you lose control.

Aka "trailing throttle over steer"

This is where a left foot braking technique comes in handy. Full brakes on the approach and, at most, to the apex. You should be picking up the throttle just before the apex and holding it steady through the corner, balancing the car on the throttle. Then, once the car is pointing down the straight, bleed in more throttle.
But we are talking about it is just the R.S.01 GT3 that want's to spin out in that corner, i have now tried the Audi GT3 and the Ferrari 458 italia GT3 car and non of them want's to spin out in that corner, it's not about not be off throttle in the mid corner, but if you brake and don't give any throttle and just rolling (maybe not the right word for it, but that's the best i can do :embarrassed::)) through that corner the Renault will still loose the rear end and you have to countersteer without be near the throttle or the brake.

Last edited:
@IngRobNy @250Cal

Look, there are two possibilities here.

Option 1 - I am a god and you are mere mortals. Bow before me. I prefer idols in the shape of a star to symbolize my brilliance.

Option 2 - You are simply doing it wrong.

As much as I would LOVE option one to be the the truth, I fear option 2 is the more likely problem.

Here, I even made a video to show you. DS4 - No TCS, NO counter steering assist (watch the icon if you don't believe me), nothing but ABS. This car is stock aside from switching the brake bias to the rear (in the video). You can see me balancing the car between throttle and brakes. Low and behold, at the hairpin, NO DRAMA what so ever. FYI, I didn't even warm up. I just came back from doing groceries.

Look, there are two possibilities here.

Option 1 - I am a god and you are mere mortals. Bow before me. I prefer idols in the shape of a star to symbolize my brilliance.

Option 2 - You are simply doing it wrong.

As much as I would LOVE option one to be the the truth, I fear option 2 is the more likely problem.

Here, I even made a video to show you. DS4 - No TCS, NO counter steering assist (watch the icon if you don't believe me), nothing but ABS. This car is stock aside from switching the brake bias to the rear (in the video). You can see me balancing the car between throttle and brakes. Low and behold, at the hairpin, NO DRAMA what so ever. FYI, I didn't even warm up. I just came back from doing groceries.

But the odd thing here is that it is just the Renault that want to spin out in that last corner in you video, i don't have the McLaren GT3 or the Lamborghini GT3 so i can test them, but i have tried BMW M6 GT3, the new Mercedes GT3, Audi GT3, Ferrari 458 Italia GT3, Lexus GT3 and i drive them all the same way, so it is a bit odd :embarrassed: :lol:.

But the odd thing here is that it is just the Renault that want to spin out in that last corner in you video, i don't have the McLaren GT3 or the Lamborghini GT3 so i can test them, but i have tried BMW M6 GT3, the new Mercedes GT3, Audi GT3, Ferrari 458 Italia GT3, Lexus GT3 and i drive them all the same way, so it is a bit odd :embarrassed: :lol:.

What I am saying is that when I drive the Renault, as I did IN THE VIDEO, it's no different to the other cars.

So, again, either I am amazing (you're welcome) or you guys are driving wrong.

I think that it's pretty telling when video evidence is posted and there is still a belief that the car is the problem rather than the way you are driving it.

What I am saying is that when I drive the Renault, as I did IN THE VIDEO, it's no different to the other cars.

Now do 10 consistent laps of 2:01 - 2:02 on wearing tyres.

Now do 10 consistent laps of 2:01 - 2:02 on wearing tyres.

Wow, your level of denial is amazing. I just proved that driving the car through that corner is not only not "impossibile" it's actually drama free.

I proved the car is fine in that hairpin.

How about this? How about YOU go replicate what I do on video.

I think that it's pretty telling when video evidence is posted and there is still a belief that the car is the problem rather than the way you are driving it.
Just bear in mind i'm using a controller and i don't tune or change anyting on car or driving settings and all other cars behave normal in that corner, except the Renault GT3, i will try the Nissan GT3 to see how i takes that corner, i drive all cars in the same way and the Renault is the only car so far that want's to spin out for me in that corner with no throttle no brake and between 70-80 km/h.

Edit.

No, the Nissan dosen't do it either, no throttle or brake and between 60-70 km/h.

Edit.

I tested the Renault again and if i keept 2nd gear and at ca 66 km/h it will not try to spin out, but in 1st gear and at ca 42 km/h it will try to spin out.

Last edited:
Wow, your level of denial is amazing. I just proved that driving the car through that corner is not only not "impossibile" it's actually drama free.

I proved the car is fine in that hairpin.

How about this? How about YOU go replicate what I do on video.

It's not denial.

I ended up nursing the car through that corner for 10 laps, losing about 0.7 - 1.0 sec per lap in the process and thus compromising my overall race hugely relative to other Gr.3 cars. I was a sitting duck in that corner due to a fundamental issue with that specific car in that specific corner.

10 laps at 2:01 to 2:02 with no moments at the hairpin - that's the requirement. And I already know I couldn't do it (and nor could any of my friends)

Edit 1: You don't have BoP settings on there. Also, I can't see your transmission and diff settings to see if they are standard. The issue we are talking about was under BoP conditions with locked settings.

Edit 2: Drives fine in arcade mode. Ran a 2:01.6 1st lap on default settings with no weirdness at the hairpin. Could go a chunk quicker.

Last edited:
Ok, you're right, the car is broken. I only managed to get 3rd place today...what a lame duck :D (by the way, it's not broken, that was sarcasm) I've never had to "nurse" that car. I didn't nurse it through the Brands Hairpin today either.

If it really does have a handling issue, it would be broken in all hairpins, not just the Suzuka one. Like I said, the problem might just be the way you drive that car. This car doesn't like to be upset by curbs either. It has it's strengths and weakness like all the cars. I find the RS01 to be better than the Huracan and the 458.

And besides, do you really want homogeneous cars? Should everything drive exactly the same?

P.S., Ya, I should have saved the replay but I didn't think about it until after I exited.

Ok, you're right, the car is broken. I only managed to get 3rd place today...what a lame duck :D (by the way, it's not broken, that was sarcasm) I've never had to "nurse" that car. I didn't nurse it through the Brands Hairpin today either.

If it really does have a handling issue, it would be broken in all hairpins, not just the Suzuka one. Like I said, the problem might just be the way you drive that car. This car doesn't like to be upset by curbs either. It has it's strengths and weakness like all the cars. I find the RS01 to be better than the Huracan and the 458.

And besides, do you really want homogeneous cars? Should everything drive exactly the same?

P.S., Ya, I should have saved the replay but I didn't think about it until after I exited.

We appear to be separated by a common language. You've posted a link from Brands Hatch.

You are failing to comprehend the specific circumstances under which the issue being discussed occurs.

We appear to be separated by a common language. You've posted a link from Brands Hatch.

You are failing to comprehend the specific circumstances under which the issue being discussed occurs.

Classic denial. Video evidence is posted to support my position. Post video evidence to support yours.

Let us all see what it is that is so broken. The tools are built into the game.

Sorry but this is weird. It's not denial. A number of people have posted that there appears to be an issue with the RS01 GT3 on the hairpin at Suzuka.

Based on what has been tested, the issue does not occur in arcade mode but has been seen by multiple users in BoP mode. They have all clearly stated they have not seen the issue anywhere else i.e. different circuits. My friends and I aren't numpties, noobs or novices at this game, and we've all seen it and found that we had to nurse the car through the issue. Plus other posters here have raised it. This came up for many people yesterday as the Gr.3 daily was Suzuka and so was the Manufacturer's cup.

To refute this you've posted up a somewhat mediocre result from a Gr.3 race at a different circuit (where people have already said there's no issue).

I'm posting on the basis that I think PD may need to tweak something about the LSD settings on a basic settings locked, BoP, RS01.

I'm really not sure what your point is.

Sorry but this is weird. It's not denial. A number of people have posted that there appears to be an issue with the RS01 GT3 on the hairpin at Suzuka.

Based on what has been tested, the issue does not occur in arcade mode but has been seen by multiple users in BoP mode. They have all clearly stated they have not seen the issue anywhere else i.e. different circuits. My friends and I aren't numpties, noobs or novices at this game, and we've all seen it and found that we had to nurse the car through the issue. Plus other posters here have raised it. This came up for many people yesterday as the Gr.3 daily was Suzuka and so was the Manufacturer's cup.

To refute this you've posted up a somewhat mediocre result from a Gr.3 race at a different circuit (where people have already said there's no issue).

I'm posting on the basis that I think PD may need to tweak something about the LSD settings on a basic settings locked, BoP, RS01.

I'm really not sure what your point is.

The FIA races do not have tire wear. So, if people were experiencing this last night, tire wear has no impact.

What's wierd is how tire wear becomes a scapegoat when tire wear is not a factor.

Players love to blame everything other than themselves.

I drove the car in question and found no issues after it was stated that the car was "impossible" to drive through the corner in question.

Like I said, post a video for everyone to see showing this bug in action.

The FIA races do not have tire wear. So, if people were experiencing this last night, tire wear has no impact.

What's wierd is how tire wear becomes a scapegoat when tire wear is not a factor.

Players love to blame everything other than themselves.

I drove the car in question and found no issues after it was stated that the car was "impossible" to drive through the corner in question.

Like I said, post a video for everyone to see showing this bug in action.

The daily race did. Hopefully that clarifies that for you.

Again, specific circumstances of the issue have been documented. You have not driven the car in those circumstances as far as what you've posted thus far goes.

Whatever, I'm done. The issue has been documented, even with a proposed solution. I CBA to repeatedly go over it for someone with a comprehension issue.

The daily race did. Hopefully that clarifies that for you.

Again, specific circumstances of the issue have been documented. You have not driven the car in those circumstances as far as what you've posted thus far goes.

Whatever, I'm done. The issue has been documented, even with a proposed solution. I CBA to repeatedly go over it for someone with a comprehension issue.

You haven't proven that you drove the car under those conditions either. You asked me to do it.

Show us the problem so everyone can see the bug in action. Maybe it is a real bug, or maybe it's just you. There's no determining which it is without the video.

Maybe it is a real bug, or maybe it's just you
But it's not just him, i have the same issue in that corner on Suzuka, but i tried again with racing hard tires, 1st gear and ca 42 km/h and the car started to spin out, in 2nd gear and ca 66 km/h and the car didn't start to spin out.
And other members here have said that they have a problem with this car during cornering.

But it's not just him, i have the same issue in that corner on Suzuka, but i tried again with racing hard tires, 1st gear and ca 42 km/h and the car started to spin out, in 2nd gear and ca 66 km/h and the car didn't start to spin out.
And other members here have said that they have a problem with this car during cornering.

That still doesn't mean it's the car. The car is high HP, low torque. If you go slamming through the gears and pitch it into a corner, it's going to spin.

Use it properly and it won't. If I can't get it to spin, why is that?

If you go slamming through the gears and pitch it into a corner, it's going to spin.
But at least i'm using the automatic transmission, so i don't slam throught the gears and i don't jerk the steering either, no throttle, no brakes into the corner and the car start to loose grip on the rear tires and the nose is starting to point left so i have to countersteer, but like i said that happens only in 1st gear and ca 42 km/h.

But at least i'm using the automatic transmission, so i don't slam throught the gears and i don't jerk the steering either, no throttle, no brakes into the corner and the car start to loose grip on the rear tires and the nose is starting to point left so i have to countersteer, but like i said that happens only in 1st gear and ca 42 km/h.

Automatic.... There's one issue. No throttle or brakes is a second issue. You should never be coasting through a corner. Notice in my video I am on the throttle.

Your speed is kind of irrelevant compared to your line. If you brake late, turn somewhere in the middle of the track (rather than the apex) and then exit in the middle of the track (instead of wide by the cone), it will spin OF COURSE because you are off line.

A bunch of the other cars will do this as well.

My suggestion is to turn on the driving cones, first, then learn to drive it in manual. Gear choice can be a massive factor with all the cars.

Based on the way your describe the problem, it's user error, not the car.

@Voodoovaj is pretty much on the money here, but one specific cause of your Suzuka problem you explicitly point out yourself. By moving to rear brake bias you are helping the car turn in, but GT Sport seems to have a wierd 'hanging on' of this affect and will cause cars to spin at low speed.

I set the brake bias to 1 or 2 forward just for the RS01 @ Suzuka. Try as Voodoovaj suggests, come off the brakes and load in a balanced throttle. I run the hairpin at 45/6/7mph-ish and DO NOT HIT MAX THROTTLE until the car is around and I'm pointing up the track at the exit marker. At Suzuka I could run 0 traction no aids, but stability management is useful. Traction control in the RS is death if you spin - it takes half-an-hour just to spool up, as if the game doesn't want to burn out that virtual clutch. :D

@Venari I find rear brake bias helps with the mid engined cars, but I am not going to suggest that as a fix because it should cause the problems you mentioned.

It helps me because I find it drags the rear and settles it before I turn, but I think that the way I drive is a factor.

no throttle, no brakes into the corner and the car start to loose grip on the rear tires and the nose is starting to point left so i have to countersteer,

I have to agree the act of accelerating shifts weight to the rear drive wheels increasing traction. Braking shifts weight to the front adding more traction to the front wheels which provide more of the actual stopping power.

You should at all times either be on the throttle to some extent or on the brakes to some extent to control not only the speed of the vehicle but the weight distribution front to rear of the vehicle as well. All rear wheel drive vehicles will have increased traction under acceleration over a neutral weight transfer condition which you will have both off the throttle and brakes just rolling through the corner.

That corner also can be a spin hazard for the 911 as well if you are not choosy about taking the correct line out of the corner.

Automatic.... There's one issue. No throttle or brakes is a second issue. You should never be coasting through a corner.
But why does all these things not giving me any problem with any other car or track? Coasting around corners with any other cars or tracks works like a charm, automatic because i'm using a controller, but it's not a problem with any other cars or tracks, i'm using R2 for throttle so i can controll the throttle in 3 steps, little, middle and full throttle and R1 for brakes, but some are using X for throttle and with X you give full throttle as soon as you press X, so they have to coast through a corner, i know the braking points and turning points because i'm using the cones, i think i was done with too high speed in corners and had to use other cars on track as a brake in GT4 :).

But why does all these things not giving me any problem with any other car or track? Coasting around corners with any other cars or tracks works like a charm, automatic because i'm using a controller, but it's not a problem with any other cars or tracks, i'm using R2 for throttle so i can controll the throttle in 3 steps, little, middle and full throttle and R1 for brakes, but some are using X for throttle and with X you give full throttle as soon as you press X, so they have to coast through a corner, i know the braking points and turning points because i'm using the cones, i think i was done with too high speed in corners and had to use other cars on track as a brake in GT4 :).

Your problem should happen with the Huracan and the 458 as well if you coast through the corner.

I use the triggers for throttle and brake as well.

Maybe you're going to slow. I can't say. I can't replicate the problem and I can't see what younare doing without a video.

Your problem should happen with the Huracan and the 458 as well if you coast through the corner.
I don't have the Huracan, but i tried with 458 GT3 earlier and it didn't happen to that car, it didn't happen to the Audi GT3 either, only to the Renault.

Edit.

Just trying the Porsche 911 RSR GT3 and it didn't happen to that car either, so it seems that thr renault needs extra attention when you enter and exit that corner.

Maybe you're going to slow. I can't say.

I think so too, because it didn't happen in 2nd gear, just in 1st gear.

Last edited:
I think so too, because it didn't happen in 2nd gear, just in 1st gear.

Under the specific conditions mentioned above it was happening in 2nd, too.

I see someone else above mention stability control, why would you need that?

Very minor tweak to the basic settings please PD.

I see someone else above mention stability control, why would you need that?
I don't know, i drive all cars with the settings it have right out of the box and still, the Renault is the only car so far i have experienced this with in that specific corner on Suzuka.

Same problem over here. I drive the renault a lot and find it a very stable car. Last week I was doing a daily race, 10 laps suzuka, and the car was behaving very wierd in that one corner.
A little bit to much stearing and it would spin. It did not had something to do with the throttle. I’m 100% sure this is some kind of bug.

I drive with a G29 and don’t use any assists.

Back