R.S.01 GT3 handling issue

• Thread starter stevewf1
  • 133 comments
So now it is an issue?
I said that from the beginning, my first post in this thread, you insisted that it is a bug and impossible to take the corner without spinning:
I've just stumbled upon this issue, specific to the hairpin at Suzuka.

With fixed settings this corner is impossible. I've tried different lines, gears, throttle and brake applications - the car just spins.

But you said this...

So we've gone from "impossible" to a common consensus that it may be a slight hindrance. Which is it?

Honestly I think much of what has been posted is beyond your comprehension.
I've joined a thread about an issue having seen it myself. I've gone away and done the homework to understand the issue and its root cause. I've provided written explanation and video examples which validate what was said earlier.
Having got to grips with it and found a way of working with it which means I don't have to nanny it and I think minimises it's impacts I'm done.
I refer you to earlier posts in the thread, I won't be responding from here on.

Honestly I think much of what has been posted is beyond your comprehension.
I've joined a thread about an issue having seen it myself. I've gone away and done the homework to understand the issue and its root cause. I've provided written explanation and video examples which validate what was said earlier.
Having got to grips with it and found a way of working with it which means I don't have to nanny it and I think minimises it's impacts I'm done.
I refer you to earlier posts in the thread, I won't be responding from here on.

So, it was user error.

I don't think comprehension means what you think it means chief.

Noticing an issue with the Renault RS01 GT3 where it constantly spins in hairpin bends. Is fine in every other corner, but always spins in hairpins, mid corner, when off throttle and not on the brakes, and not carrying any real speed either. Have tried changing everything on setup including anti-roll bars, suspension, diff, ride height and makes no difference. Even with stability control etc turned on, still the same issue. Anybody else experiencing same thing?
Have you tried braking a little earlier, this would allow you to brake in a straight line, as a result you don't need to brake on turn-in, meaning the car will be a lot more stable. And it makes it a lot easier to apply a small amount of throttle to keep the car balanced. If none of this helps you can try left foot/trailbraking. It's all about keeping the weight of the car under control.
This can easily be done using only abs(I prefer weak abs), if you're on a controller a small amount of abs should be more than enough. And obviously you can move the brake balance towards the rear, but don't exagerate or you'll just spin under braking.

I just drove the R.S.01 at Suzuka East a bunch of laps and didn't have a problem. I find most turbocharged cars do better when going full throttle in the mid-range of the rpm's rather than at the top end. Less chance of losing traction.

Interesting discussion so far - good drivers seem to find a way around even if there's something wrong with the car.
When looking at the Torque-RPM chart in GT-Sport, I notice a flat spot at lower revs. Could this be the issue?
I think it is a data error and it would be great if PD can confirm/correct the torque data for the R.S.01-GT3.
Torque-RPM RS01 (HL).jpg

At Suzuka East, I ran a 52.9 second lap with the R.S.01 GT3 on Sport Hard tires. For comparison, I tested the regular R.S.01 and was actually 2 tenths of a second faster. You can't explain that!

I just joined this forum, to purely add my voice to this topic. This issue of the RS01 GT3 spinning out happens to me too at the Suzuka hairpin, and the tight hairpins of Brazil. It never used to happen and I think it's a handling tweak in a patch in January. It's gone from being my favourite GT3 car, to being unusable.

To get around the hairpin at Suzuka, yes its not impossible, but even in the video demonstration posted here I could see how you were basically tip toeing it around. I have a wheel and pedal set up, and whether i give it no throttle or minimal throttle, whether I touch the kerb or not, 1st gear or 2nd gear, the back wheels just behave as if I've driven onto ice. Even if I do make it around the corner, the back end will have lost grip still, almost bringing the car to a halt - the Renault cannot pull away effectively from a standstill.

Apologies for ressurecting an old thread, but my frustration trying to race the R.S.0.1 around the Suzuka hairpin yesterday led me here.

Did anyone find a fix with BoP settings on? I tried three races worth (30 laps) with different TCS settings, different fuel map settings and different braking and throttle patterns and I still spun nearly every time.

The handful of times I didn’t spin I was going so slowly out of the corner that I would be easily overtaken by multiple cars. It’s the first time I’ve had an issue with that hairpin.

Apologies for ressurecting an old thread, but my frustration trying to race the R.S.0.1 around the Suzuka hairpin yesterday led me here.

Did anyone find a fix with BoP settings on? I tried three races worth (30 laps) with different TCS settings, different fuel map settings and different braking and throttle patterns and I still spun nearly every time.

The handful of times I didn’t spin I was going so slowly out of the corner that I would be easily overtaken by multiple cars. It’s the first time I’ve had an issue with that hairpin.
I had less issue when i did the hairpin in 3rd gear, i'm using automatic transmission, so i had to have higher speed through the hairpin to keep the car in 3rd gear, in 2nd gear it spins out for me.

Ironically, the R.S.01 GT3 held the fastest qualifying time for the Suzuka GR.3 daily race C yesterday, in the EMEA region, plus the top 2 spots in the Asia Pacific region. When I saw this, I tried it and went into the 1;59's, 0.4 faster than I could manage in either the 911, Corvette or Lexus! It felt a lot more grippy than I remember. It was tricky to balance in the hairpin, this was fixed by keeping a constant revs/throttle and being patient through the apex, which felt slower than "blipping" the throttle, but proved to be the fastest way for me.

I hate this for handling very badly. I had the same the Gr. X version of this vehicle, prompting me to discard it and never drive either versions in the game again.

Interesting discussion so far - good drivers seem to find a way around even if there's something wrong with the car.
When looking at the Torque-RPM chart in GT-Sport, I notice a flat spot at lower revs. Could this be the issue?
I think it is a data error and it would be great if PD can confirm/correct the torque data for the R.S.01-GT3.
View attachment 709070

Interesting!
Yes it would be great if PD can confirm/correct the torque data for the R.S.01-GT3 :D

Back