Racers Reunited, Thanks chaps, Target 84 is over for now. Good racing with you, cheers!

• Thread starter Zolon32
  • 207 comments
Great racing yesterday, tricky track but the Zonda was fun! đź‘Ť

Seems you haven't heard of The Shaggs, they leave all contenders for worst band ever in the dust. Frank Zappa loved them. I let you decide, but there is something about them: ;)

Apparently that album has become collectible, and Kurt Cobain was also a fan. I should've heard of them since they're apparently referenced in my girlfriends favourite movie (which by extension I have been forced to become familiar with), Empire Records.

Hey guys I had an excellent time racing with you. It was tight and clean and fun! The rocket race was my fav, got to move up through the pack it was my best race ever I think!
I got my brakes sorted out now so they do what they're supposed to, they were dragging on release during the races. I used a little contact cleaner spray and they're as good as new so I'm hoping to be a little faster next week.

I'm hosting a stock Volvo 240 Wagon lobby on Sunday starting around 17:00BST....at least that's how it'll start, it could go anywhere after that, depending on what people want...anyways, in case anyone's interested.

The only time I ever beat dusty in a straight up battle was in a tuned 240 volvo race with the guys I race with on Saturday nights. Think it was 4 laps at midfield. Then we went to high speed ring and I won again!

I've got the replays saved, just wish I knew how to get them onto you tube. Maybe jocke can help?

hosting a stock Volvo 240 Wagon lobby on Sunday starting around 17:00BST.
If I'm about I'll try and join you for a few laps. I've not tried the network out over the weekends lately.

Your luck was in @buybon355 beating Dusty twice, you should have bought a lottery ticket. Oh hang on it was a Saturday night, you'd missed your chance.

I'm hosting a stock Volvo 240 Wagon lobby on Sunday starting around 17:00BST....at least that's how it'll start, it could go anywhere after that, depending on what people want...anyways, in case anyone's interested.

Thanks for the great racing in the Volvo, with Shifter Karts @ Willow and Nordschleife being the icing on the cake! :):tup:Good to see the network stable on Sundays again, hope it wasn't just a fluke!

Thanks for the great racing in the Volvo, with Shifter Karts @ Willow and Nordschleife being the icing on the cake! :):tup:Good to see the network stable on Sundays again, hope it wasn't just a fluke!

No it wasn't, it's been back to normal on Sundays for a while now

I used to collect 1:18 model cars until they got a bit expensive
I got mine for only 14 quid believe it or not (ten for the car, four for shipping), quite incredible and
I didn't even have to bid on it since the seller had it set to 'Buy it Now'.
ebay order.jpg

How's about the Z8 around Jocke's Motoyama track? Should be fun.
Thanks Paul for persuading Zo to go with the Z8, hopefully the track will do it justice.
Unless I'm very much mistaken this will be the first time any of my tracks host
an online meeting. That makes me a bit nervous actually. :)
Edit: tarnheld hosted Niederbipp. : )

Here's a preview for anyone who hasn't been to the track yet;

Zolon
Z8 at Jocke's Mad Motoyama track
I see you've turned a few laps 'round there already. :)

Hahaha @JockeP22 it takes courage to admit you like a band almost universally regarded as the worst of all time. You're definitely the first person I've ever admit who likes them and I doubt I'll meet anyone else.

I frequently race pink cars online, admitting to listening to Creed's music is a piece of cake.
It's the first time I've heard that to be honest, that they're the worst.
I spin their follow-up album Human Clay a few times every year. It's awesome.

Oh and... 4 studio albums, 55 million records sold.
fakta.gif

:lol: ;)

Is it Tuesday yet?
Thanks Zo for including the track with the Target.

I see you've turned a few laps 'round there already. :)

I have, enough for the place to start making sense! I'm getting to enjoy it, although I don't think I'll ever work out whether to use third or fourth for the left hand kink leading down to the wiggle. Speaking of which, we'll be using penalties tonight chaps. It's not that I think anyone will cheat, but I might, and I'd hate to win by cheating ;).

Away for work next 2 nights.

You'll be sorely missed Suts. It's a pity, we're racing a car that's actually narrower than the track tonight (đź‘Ť), you'd have enjoyed it I think :)

Cheers, Zo.

Another fun set of races! First race was a little frustrating for me, I had practised with sport hards (TC on 2!) so I wasn't used to the comfort softs and no TC, and I didn't do an oil change... I have joined a few different clubs and I forget sometimes what's allowed for which event. So in the end I had a few time penalties.

In the second race, with an oil change and a better understanding of the track, I got off to an early lead and managed to not make any mistakes! Zolon capitalized on my first tail slide on the 6th lap, passed for the lead. Great driving!

I actually found the CS tires easier to drive consistently fast with no TC. I could feel the car and if you're delicate with the inputs she'll telegraph exactly what's going on so you can correct in time. I enjoyed driving that car in the end!

So for my future reference do we always race on comfort softs and no driver aids except abs, oil changes are allowed? Looking forward to the next round!

Great track Jocke. đź‘Ť Once you get used to the flow (and the wiggles :)) it really grows on you.

Excellent driving from everyone - considering the technical nature of the circuit and that penalties were on. Give yourselves a pat on the back. :P

I actually found the CS tires easier to drive consistently fast with no TC. I could feel the car and if you're delicate with the inputs she'll telegraph exactly what's going on so you can correct in time.
@Zolon32 will be proud of you. ;) He loves the comforts.
They do (usually) give a good steering feedback.

So for my future reference do we always race on comfort softs and no driver aids except abs, oil changes are allowed?
Zo will probably answer you as well, but certainly for the current series those are indeed the spec's. We do occasionally use grippier tyres when the car requires it.

We missed you Suts
Purple cars were thin on the ground Suts.

What about now? :)

Third every time Jocke, stupidly slow entry, and early on the throttle produced the best compromise of pace and consistency for me. My first attempt in fourth had me wide on the exit, dammit!

In the second race, with an oil change and a better understanding of the track, I got off to an early lead and managed to not make any mistakes! Zolon capitalized on my first tail slide on the 6th lap, passed for the lead. Great driving!

I actually found the CS tires easier to drive consistently fast with no TC. I could feel the car and if you're delicate with the inputs she'll telegraph exactly what's going on so you can correct in time. I enjoyed driving that car in the end!

So for my future reference do we always race on comfort softs and no driver aids except abs, oil changes are allowed? Looking forward to the next round!

I really enjoyed that battle Zeus, and the one with Hakan, Jocke's bonkers track certainly made for tight racing with a surprising number of places with overtaking potential.

Glad you are liking comfort tyres, and Paul's right, we do tend to use them almost all of the time. In fact, most in the club came together by joining Jocke's Z8 Club, which moved on to being a Comfort Tyres club, then when Jocke's work commitments forced him to step back a little, we became Racers Reunited.

And last night Gamer lived up to that, reuniting with us after a considerable break. Great pace Gamer, considering the technical nature of the track and your lack of time on it.

Purple cars were thin on the ground Suts

Yeah Suts, you would have loved it, ten on the grid! Fantastic.

Chaps, as I suspected, I'm having to miss next week, taking the wife up to Yorkshire to shove her off a cliff strapped to some bloke with a parachute. Should be fun. So, any suggestions welcome.

So, that takes us through to Tuesday 31st May, after which I recon it'll be about time for a change.

As a last hoorah I'm thinking of running the Ford GT '05 at a circuit I've knocked up. It goes by the name of Weeee!, on account of the fact that there's a point on it where the GT will reach 300KPH, and that makes me go weeee! I chose the GT because I had tested loads of supercars there and it was the one which allowed me to do lap after lap with incredible consistency. It's user-friendliness is amazing, even on C/S.

Please have a go on the circuit and let me know what you think, I don't want to impose something that's too extreme, as my tastes can sometimes be.

Cheers, Zo.

Really liked the track jocke, well done. Lots of kerbs too which is often forgotten in custom tracks.

Race 1 was the most fun for me as I always seemed to have someone around me to race against, despite doing a donut on the grid after hitting a stationary Rob!

Yet another great nights racing

And last night Gamer lived up to that, reuniting with us after a considerable break.
I forgot to say above that it was good to see @gkgamer again. A welcome surprise. đź‘Ť

Chaps, as I suspected, I'm having to miss next week, taking the wife up to Yorkshire to shove her off a cliff strapped to some bloke with a parachute. Should be fun. So, any suggestions welcome.
Remove the parachute? Oh hang on you're asking about the racing. ;)

If nobody comes up with any other suggestions I could run something Rocket related. I have a few tracks specifically created for the Rocket on CM's that need testing sometime. They always seem good in practice but with a few other cars on the track they might be rubbish.
If they all work well perhaps I/we could run a short Rocket series, maybe using your T84 handicap system. If anyone is interested of course.

Weeee! :)

I/we could run a short Rocket series, maybe using your T84 handicap system.

I'd be well up for that Paul. Maybe there could be two races per meeting, one stock on C/M and one at full chat on S/H, funky race machine.

I forgot to mention that Weeee was inspired by you and Eran. I took your approach of taking my time with small adjustments to get it just right (ha ha, we'll see), and it seems to me that Eran avoids the most extreme topography of the Eifel map, getting more interest into it that Eifel flat, but without jumps everywhere. Weeee shall see.

Cheers, Zo.

Fun races last night especially the second race where I was behind Zeus and was waiting for a mistake that came when I was to far away to overtake him. Not long before that Zo was passing me after he had been on my tail for 5 laps :scared:
Very tricky track where the wiggly wiggly part was difficult to get the grips of, good car choise the Z8:cheers:

Thanks so much for coming to my track and thanks so much Zo for hosting.

Race 1. Songs:
1. Rush - Workin' Them Angels
2. Dio - Sacred Heart (blocked by YouTube, sound quality reduced)
3. Tony Iommi / Glenn Hughes - Time is the Healer

Race 2. Songs:
1. Lazerhawk - King of the Streets
2. The Rolling Stones - Sway
3. Soundgarden - Rusty Cage
4. Ted Nugent - Queen of the Forest (blocked by YouTube, sound quality reduced)
5. Uriah Heep - The Wizard

My favorite part of race #2 was when Colin, Paul and I went three wide
during the Soundgarden song 'Rusty Cage'.

My favorite part of race #2 was when Colin, Paul and I went three wide
I even switched my wipers on just to join in.

I'd be well up for that Paul. Maybe there could be two races per meeting, one stock on C/M and one at full chat on S/H, funky race machine.
Ah, good.
Now the only trouble with the full tilt and SH version is that my tracks are generally "tuned" to the grip of the CM's (corner radiuses) and the gearbox (straights) that I'm not sure if they'd all work so well with a super Rocket.
More testing required. We'll work something out. :)

If/When I've got some spare moments in the evenings I'll open up a club room. Anyone feel free to grab a Rocket and join in for a bit of track and spec testing.

avoids the most extreme topography of the Eifel map
Less is more (sometimes).
I see you're also taking surveys of the area too. Very thorough. ;)

I get what you mean about the tune of the tracks Paul, best to stick with your plan I think; committees aren't good at that sort of thing. Bongo's Hill Climb and Jocke's Montoaythingy would never have made it through committee, and they're both excellent in my opinion.

The survey thing was originally a square, and I drove around slowly looking about at the scenery. I drew a map of the surrounding area. Only trouble is, now I'm not sure where I started! Hey ho.

See you on 31st, Zo.

Guys
I'm working late tonight again. I won't make it.
Last week looked great. Sorry I'm missing racing again.
I should be on next week if normal life and work doesn't get in the way!
:cheers:

I've been trying to get this post in all weekend but things kept getting in the way! So sorry it's a little last minute.

As I've mentioned previously I've been thinking of running something with the Rocket, be it a series/championship or even just a few weeks of casual fun races.

So I'm not planning for anything serious this evening just a few short (hopefully) fun races to try out the Rockets. I've got 3 CM tracks that I'd like to try out to see if they work. I'll also maybe fiddle with the settings trying out the grip, slipstream and possibly even light boost, again to see what produces the best results. Therefore feedback will be welcome on what brings the most smiles per mile.

Now, because of the PD CM limitation, the only trouble with 3 tracks is of course 3 rooms. But I'm sure we can all find each other again.

The tracks briefly...
Cape Canaveral - Eifel. The most technical probably but fast when you get it right.
Lakeside Park - Andalusia. The longest with some quicker sections and nice scenery.
BigBends Speedway - Death Valley. Very fast! Other than the pit lane corners this can be driven nearly flat out in 5th gear.
All of the tracks work best when attacked at a good pace. The grip should be just enough and the limiter should be only reached very occasionally.

So un-tuned Rockets (plus oil) on CM tyres over three CM tracks @ 8:30
I'll try and open it somewhat earlier though.

I should be on next week if normal life and work doesn't get in the way!
Sorry you'll miss it Suts but that normal life is a bugger. :P

So yeah, I won't be able to make it tonight due to the holiday I'm on in Malta at the moment, next week could be a possibility although the chances of me being able to race might be on the slim side due to an evening arival. I may be able to only spectate though as predictably, I don't think I can afford the car.

Back