races saves

  • Thread starter Thread starter mclarendriver
  • 73 comments
  • 4,817 views
Messages
143
Messages
team_blitz_ghost
Why does everyone want endurance race saves?

They would take away from the entire point of the races. GT5 is a racing sim game. And being able to stop in the middle of a twenty four hour race isn't realistic. Its meant to test you. If you don't want your playstation running that long. Then don't run the races. Stop complaining about an awesome game. Race saves would be a stupid idea. If you can't stop in the middle of the real 24 hour races why should you be aloud to stop here. Switch drivers yeah sure. But not stop comepletely.
 
I know its a game. But if its a simulator. Shouldn't it also be as real as possible?!
 
Why does everyone want endurance race saves?

So that people who don't have the time to sit in front of a PS3 for 24 hours straight can still experience that part of the game perhaps?

Also given it was suggested this change was being worked on probably got peoples hopes up.
 
I know its a game. But if its a simulator. Shouldn't it also be as real as possible?!

For the 4-5 hour max endurance races, yeah. Not for the 24h ones though. Would be more realistic if you could use 3 of your b-spec drivers there so you'd only have to race 6 hours yourself. Or just be able to save every 6 hours. Now you have to drive the whole 24h yourself which is not realistic at all.
 
It should, but there have to be boundaries somewhere. Why is being able to save during a really really long race any less realistic than the fact your driving "avatar" does't die if you drive him into a wall at two hundred miles an hour?
 
Firehuntah
For the 4-5 hour max endurance races, yeah. Not for the 24h ones though. Would be more realistic if you could use 3 of your b-spec drivers there so you'd only have to race 6 hours yourself. Or just be able to save every 6 hours. Now you have to drive the whole 24h yourself which is not realistic at all.

That's what I was talking about in my first post. Being able to switch drivers. But not being able stop racing all together.
 
In real life most 24 hour teams run 3-4 drivers, so they all get a break. It's generally a 4 hour stint, so they'd not get back in the car for another 8 hours (with a 3-man team) - I go to bed for roughly 8 hours, so it kind of matches up, right?

If they put it in (which I personally think they should), it would be optional, meaning you wouldn't be forced to use it but the people that want it can use it.
 
AnotherWay82
It should, but there have to be boundaries somewhere. Why is being able to save during a really really long race any less realistic than the fact your driving "avatar" does't die if you drive him into a wall at two hundred miles an hour?

Because then people would have to restart everything everytime you die. And that would piss people off very quickly.
 
mclarendriver
Because then people would have to restart everything everytime you die. And that would piss people off very quickly.

Yes it would, but it would be more realistic. My point is that you have to draw a line somewhere as it's supposed to be fun! I'd be happy if I could run a 24h as part of a team, but I'd use the save option and run it all myself if it was available.
 
Why does everyone want endurance race saves?

They would take away from the entire point of the races. GT5 is a racing sim game. And being able to stop in the middle of a twenty four hour race isn't realistic. Its meant to test you. If you don't want your playstation running that long. Then don't run the races. Stop complaining about an awesome game. Race saves would be a stupid idea. If you can't stop in the middle of the real 24 hour races why should you be aloud to stop here. Switch drivers yeah sure. But not stop comepletely.

Excuse me for wanting race saves so that I can enjoy this "awesome game" by expriencing the beautiful day-to-night transition PD did a great job on. You're preventing GT5 from becoming a better game with this comment. :banghead:

And I'm pretty sure the "simulator" part only applies to the driving. It's a GAME dude. Don't confuse it with real life.
 
Last edited:
I suspect this thread will be closed and locked before I finish writing this as there are already plenty of other threads which have beaten this long dead horse to death.

1) As you can see here: http://feedback.gtplanet.net/forums/96709-gt5-feedback, it's by far the most requested feature by the GTP community.

2) NO driver, is racing 24hrs straight in any current 24 hour race (not the 24hrs of Le Mans or Daytona or Spa or the Nurburgring). The most any single driver is running at one time is a 4 hour stint. If you could team up with somebody on line or have your B-spec rejects take over, it might make a little more sense.

3) While GT5 makes an attempt to be realistic and probably more realistic than any other current console racer, it's still just a game. A game people want to play. Play being the key word. And there are a lot of features in GT5 (the super-sticky-grip level from the racing soft tires, the over-blown slipstream, not to mention user selectable aids such as "Low" level of road grip or the infamous skid recovery) that are decidedly very arcade like and not very realistic at all.

4) So long as you can run endurance races without restrictions, it's hardly much of a challenge to begin with.

5) The AI, even after the update, don't put up much of a fight. And they don't know the difference whether you're fighting for position or lapping them.

All-in-all, the fact that you could "save" an endurance race is hardly a big deal. The only real 'challenge' with endurance events is who doesn't have a life in the real world and can game longer and harder. Even if a save feature were implemented, there's nothing stopping people who are inspired by endurance races, from running them straight through. But for most people, it's simply not realistic and pausing it, simply puts undue stress on the hardware.
 
jjaisli
I suspect this thread will be closed and locked before I finish writing this as there are already plenty of other threads which have beaten this long dead horse to death.

1) As you can see here: http://feedback.gtplanet.net/forums/96709-gt5-feedback, it's by far the most requested feature by the GTP community.

2) NO driver, is racing 24hrs straight in any current 24 hour race (not the 24hrs of Le Mans or Daytona or Spa or the Nurburgring). The most any single driver is running at one time is a 4 hour stint. If you could team up with somebody on line or have your B-spec rejects take over, it might make a little more sense.

3) While GT5 makes an attempt to be realistic and probably more realistic than any other current console racer, it's still just a game. A game people want to play. Play being the key word. And there are a lot of features in GT5 (the super-sticky-grip level from the racing soft tires, the over-blown slipstream, not to mention user selectable aids such as "Low" level of road grip or the infamous skid recovery) that are decidedly very arcade like and not very realistic at all.

4) So long as you can run endurance races without restrictions, it's hardly much of a challenge to begin with.

5) The AI, even after the update, don't put up much of a fight. And they don't know the difference whether you're fighting for position or lapping them.

All-in-all, the fact that you could "save" an endurance race is hardly a big deal. The only real 'challenge' with endurance events is who doesn't have a life in the real world and can game longer and harder. Even if a save feature were implemented, there's nothing stopping people who are inspired by endurance races, from running them straight through. But for most people, it's simply not realistic and pausing it, simply puts undue stress on the hardware.

I agree wholeheartedly!
 
Why does everyone want endurance race saves?

It's practical and makes sense.

They would take away from the entire point of the races.
How? Doesn't make the race any less than 24 hours.

Also, where is the golden book that contains the definitive and unarguable point of these races? I've never seen it.

GT5 is a racing sim game. And being able to stop in the middle of a twenty four hour race isn't realistic.
The "unrealistic" feature happens to be mandatory in real racing.

Its meant to test you.
It's meant to be played however you want.

If you don't want your playstation running that long. Then don't run the races.
If you don't want to use race saves don't. Stop complaining about people having free will.

Stop complaining about an awesome game. Race saves would be a stupid idea. If you can't stop in the middle of the real 24 hour races why should you be aloud to stop here. Switch drivers yeah sure. But not stop comepletely.
How many real 24 hour races are there in GT5?
 
Have you played GT4 mclarendriver? You were able to pit and let one of your b-spec drivers take over, which IMO was about the most realistic (as far as having multiple drivers and not stopping for 24hrs goes) as we can hope for in sim racing. I personally have been waiting for this because I have done the 24 LeMans race (way back in Feb) and don't want to do this again for the 24hr Nurburgring event. In any event, driving with one driver for 24hrs is not realistic at all, but you will still have the choice to save or keep going.
 
So that people who don't have the time to sit in front of a PS3 for 24 hours straight can still experience that part of the game perhaps?

Also given it was suggested this change was being worked on probably got peoples hopes up.

What part of the game? Having saves would make it just an another race.
 
I don't want saves in endurance races. They would cease to be endurance races.

I do want B-spec bob help as teammates but they would have to do realistic stints and none of this getting tired out after 30 minutes stuff.

Most of all I want damage in endurance events to stop them being too easy.
 
I can't gold all the liscenses... and I don't cry to have them altered so that I can.
I can't drive for crap on dirt or snow... and I don't cry to have them altered so that I can.
I can go over to my pals house and run a 24hr race... and I certainly don't want the game to be modified so that people can run a couple hours here and there and say they completed a 24hr event.

Can't do it by yourself, get a human friend, teach them how to enjoy GT, have them run a 24hr race with you... you'd be suprised how exciting it is to watch your pal drive, eat and bathroom break at different points, and, yes maybe even take a nap... just like a real 24hr event.

There are real life racecar drivers that will never run a 24hr event, and so, there will be real GT drivers that will never run a 24hr race.

Deal with it.
 
I don't want saves in endurance races. They would cease to be endurance races.

I do want B-spec bob help as teammates but they would have to do realistic stints and none of this getting tired out after 30 minutes stuff.

Most of all I want damage in endurance events to stop them being too easy.

I'd be fine with B-spec Bob running a race, so long as he could only do a 4hr stint, and needed a min. of 4hrs reast... just like real 24hr events.
In GT4 there were many people that would start a 24hr event, through Bob in for 20plus hrs and call that having ran a 24hr race... My opinion, that is a cheat.
 
I can't gold all the liscenses... and I don't cry to have them altered so that I can.
I can't drive for crap on dirt or snow... and I don't cry to have them altered so that I can.
I can go over to my pals house and run a 24hr race... and I certainly don't want the game to be modified so that people can run a couple hours here and there and say they completed a 24hr event.
What's the point of saying this? This makes you no more noble.

Also, people can run a couple of hours here and there and say they completed a 24 hr event already. It was possible from game release and never altered.

Can't do it by yourself, get a human friend, teach them how to enjoy GT, have them run a 24hr race with you... you'd be suprised how exciting it is to watch your pal drive, eat and bathroom break at different points, and, yes maybe even take a nap... just like a real 24hr event.
This is ridiculous. Why should anyone do this? What makes it right, or better than doing it in another way?

PD can program the game to make this unnecessary, and not only can they do it, but the fans want them to do that, and lastly it won't take away anything from anyone.

People can race on their own time, and people who want to spend 24 on an event can do that.

Deal with it.

The way the deal with something is as follows:

If you don't like it, get it changed.
 
I can't gold all the liscenses... and I don't cry to have them altered so that I can.
I can't drive for crap on dirt or snow... and I don't cry to have them altered so that I can.
I can go over to my pals house and run a 24hr race... and I certainly don't want the game to be modified so that people can run a couple hours here and there and say they completed a 24hr event.

Can't do it by yourself, get a human friend, teach them how to enjoy GT, have them run a 24hr race with you... you'd be suprised how exciting it is to watch your pal drive, eat and bathroom break at different points, and, yes maybe even take a nap... just like a real 24hr event.

There are real life racecar drivers that will never run a 24hr event, and so, there will be real GT drivers that will never run a 24hr race.

Deal with it.

Sorry, but I'm sure my friends have lives and have better things to do than spend many hours to do a virtual race in a game. And I'm sure as heck not going to waste even more time teaching them how to drive in this game if they're no good at it just to do one race. None of my friends have wheels or play racing games as much as I do, so I'm pretty sure they have very little to no experience with something as demanding as this. I doubt they will have the patience to do a 24H race either. And what if they screw up, then what? Not to mention not everyone feels comfortable leaving their PS3s on for a whole day straight or maybe even longer. Again, it's a game, not real life.

Deal with it.
 
Last edited:
Didn't read all posts, but simple answer is, that it is a game and not even in real life 24 hours enduros are driven by only one person straight (there are exeptions but thats just crazy).

But PD can't just make it right for everyone, there will always be some complaint, no matter what they do!
 
Why does everyone want endurance race saves?

They would take away from the entire point of the races. GT5 is a racing sim game. And being able to stop in the middle of a twenty four hour race isn't realistic. Its meant to test you. If you don't want your playstation running that long. Then don't run the races. Stop complaining about an awesome game. Race saves would be a stupid idea. If you can't stop in the middle of the real 24 hour races why should you be aloud to stop here. Switch drivers yeah sure. But not stop comepletely.

maybe because GT5 is a game and maybe because ppl such as myself have a job and go to college and dont have time to sit infront of a tv for 24hrs, race saves are a must
 
Also, people can run a couple of hours here and there and say they completed a 24 hr event already. It was possible from game release and never altered.
Then what's the problem?
 
LOL@ at all the kids who think they are more hardcore racing fans because they don't have jobs.
 
gawd, we've got the "i've done the enduros in one sitting and it somehow makes up for my small penis so I have to brag about it" brigade out in force here.

WHY does it matter HOW someones ELSE plays a game...eh???? If there's saves and someone does an Enduro over a week, does it diminish the fact that someone (with no life) did it in one sitting?

Having race saves mid race makes NO difference to those who want to do the enduro in one sitting....it ONLY affects those sad enough to be bitter that it'll let other people experience Enduros on their time frame.

You anti save brigade really are some of the most selfish people around.
 
I keep entering these threads with an opinion and the desire to voice that opinion and engage in enlightened debate on the various merits of my point of view in comparison to those of my peers.

I leave with my opinion intact without having typed a word, my creative input being stifled somewhat by the endless supply of universal wisdom and fascistic brow-beating that comprises most of what passes as community spirit these days.

These thoughts I leave to the ether to be as ignored and unnecessary as new outfits for B-spec Bob. Goo day to all. :)
 
To me if they implement a save system in endurance races they can make it where you can't do ANYTHING else but go back to that race once saved. This way you are still stuck in a never ending 24 hour race just not in one sitting. That should keep the "my balls swing 3 inches from the ground and I am a real racecar driver" fanboys quiet.

I'm sorry I'm not a jobless 15 year old living in my parents basement surrounded by crumpled tissues and empty bottles of hand lotion.

If I'm going to do this BS to begin with I want a video of KAZ himself sitting through that whole dumbass race as opposed to programming it and being like "sucks for you guys... published".
 
Back