races saves

  • Thread starter Thread starter mclarendriver
  • 73 comments
  • 4,818 views
Also, nobody has pointed out that these mythical 24h racecar drivers that the diehards think exist in "real races" would be getting paid to do so. I wouldn't be complaining about the lack of a game save if you paid me $1m to run in circles for a day. Unfortuantely, to make money, I have to STOP playing.
 
Troux
Also, nobody has pointed out that these mythical 24h racecar drivers that the diehards think exist in "real races" would be getting paid to do so. I wouldn't be complaining about the lack of a game save if you paid me $1m to run in circles for a day.

Lmao, good one!
 
LOL@ at all the kids who think they are more hardcore racing fans because they don't have jobs.
I know that is not aimed at anyone, and is a general statement, but, for the record I'm 43, have a career (architect) own my home (well, bank does I guess) and do all my own maintenance, am married (8 years now), have 3 very active dogs, am a mountain biker, offroad my jeep, drag race my mustang, am a member at a local range and have real human frinds that my wife and I spend time with...
I do have many responsibilities/hobbies/social events to balance.
I played the game last weekend for a couple hours and that was the first time I'd touched any game in over 2 months.
I've yet to do a 24hr race in GT5, but, I've had the weekend of the 18th booked to do just that since the games release date back in November... yep, 8 months I've been looking forward to this challenge.
 
Also, nobody has pointed out that these mythical 24h racecar drivers that the diehards think exist in "real races" would be getting paid to do so. I wouldn't be complaining about the lack of a game save if you paid me $1m to run in circles for a day. Unfortuantely, to make money, I have to STOP playing.
They get paid to test and tune too... what's your point?
 
Lord, deliver me.

This has been debated umpteen thousand times already.

I wish PD would just go ahead and institute it so we won't have to debate it anymore.

The advantages are readily obvious to all but the hardcorest of purists.
 
They get paid to test and tune too... what's your point?
It's not real life, and it's not what I would call gameplay either. It's just busy work.
 
yep, 8 months I've been looking forward to this challenge.

You could have waited the same 8 months if race saves shipped with the game.

And truth be told, if you want an endurance race win worth bragging about set one up online. Can't even pause there. I love endurance racing but I can't be bothered to even look at the A-Spec options. I'd much rather have a real race, hopefully within the coming months I can set up some 4-6 hour races for online.
 
I know that is not aimed at anyone, and is a general statement, but, for the record I'm 43, have a career (architect) own my home (well, bank does I guess) and do all my own maintenance, am married (8 years now), have 3 very active dogs, am a mountain biker, offroad my jeep, drag race my mustang, am a member at a local range and have real human frinds that my wife and I spend time with...
I do have many responsibilities/hobbies/social events to balance.
I played the game last weekend for a couple hours and that was the first time I'd touched any game in over 2 months.
I've yet to do a 24hr race in GT5, but, I've had the weekend of the 18th booked to do just that since the games release date back in November... yep, 8 months I've been looking forward to this challenge.

Props to your wife. She is one hell of an understanding woman (regarding the dedicated weekend).
 
thanks, she is awesome, but to the point, she will be out of town that w/e...
Otherwise, I'd rather be doing something with her than spending 24hrs on a stupid video game.
 
thanks, she is awesome, but to the point, she will be out of town that w/e...
Otherwise, I'd rather be doing something with her than spending 24hrs on a stupid video game.

I don't mean to be mocking, but I found that very ironic. Race saves would avoid the whole issue.
 
Why does everyone want endurance race saves?

They would take away from the entire point of the races. GT5 is a racing sim game. And being able to stop in the middle of a twenty four hour race isn't realistic.

Wrong, in real life you have 2 or 3 other drivers to drive with you. That means you get to break during the 24hr race. And besides it's a game not real life like the other guy said.
 
Pausing the race effectively does the same thing as saving and continuing a race, it just saves energy.
Conclusion: If we can pause, we should be able to save.

/thread 👍
 
Why does everyone want endurance race saves?

They would take away from the entire point of the races. GT5 is a racing sim game. And being able to stop in the middle of a twenty four hour race isn't realistic. Its meant to test you. If you don't want your playstation running that long. Then don't run the races. Stop complaining about an awesome game. Race saves would be a stupid idea. If you can't stop in the middle of the real 24 hour races why should you be aloud to stop here. Switch drivers yeah sure. But not stop comepletely.

sry... but its pointless.... NO person is able to drive 24 hrs at the limit.... or you are superman ?:dopey:

btw... how do you simulate pain when you hit a wall?
 
Maybe the true test of endurance is for the PS3?
 
Can't you already pseudo-save as is, using pause?

The only difference I see between pausing and a save system is wear and tear on the actual PS3.

Maybe it all a big conspiracy, with Sony owned Polyphony using save-less endurance races to burn out the console, thus upping PS3 purchases
 
I don't mean to be mocking, but I found that very ironic. Race saves would avoid the whole issue.
Not a problem.
"To me", race saves do nothing to the challenge of a 24hr race.
"To me", if I don't have 24hrs to put into it, it can just sit on the game and wait until I do.
"To me", the mental bit of enduring 24hs is worth putting the 24hrs into it.

I mountain bike, like I said above. I used to have no trouble putting 100k on in a day(I was much younger)... there are 24hr mountain bike races. I never had my schedule/finances work that I could participate in one and share in the mental and physical anguish that takes place... and I always knew that if I rode that trail for a few hours every weekend until I'd compiled the 24hrs it would be nothing like the true experience.

If you've not done a 24hr race (yes it's a game) then it's "my opinion" that you are missing out on one wild mental trip... one worth taking if your schedule allows it.

It's not about my genitalia, or being a superstar or any such crap, it's about the mental trip.

I’ve got to believe that is what Kaz was trying to provide.
 
Not a problem.
"To me", race saves do nothing to the challenge of a 24hr race.
"To me", if I don't have 24hrs to put into it, it can just sit on the game and wait until I do.
"To me", the mental bit of enduring 24hs is worth putting the 24hrs into it.

I mountain bike, like I said above. I used to have no trouble putting 100k on in a day(I was much younger)... there are 24hr mountain bike races. I never had my schedule/finances work that I could participate in one and share in the mental and physical anguish that takes place... and I always knew that if I rode that trail for a few hours every weekend until I'd compiled the 24hrs it would be nothing like the true experience.

If you've not done a 24hr race (yes it's a game) then it's "my opinion" that you are missing out on one wild mental trip... one worth taking if your schedule allows it.

It's not about my genitalia, or being a superstar or any such crap, it's about the mental trip.

I’ve got to believe that is what Kaz was trying to provide.

Dude, you should apply for a job at PD.
 
It's not about my genitalia, or being a superstar or any such crap, it's about the mental trip.

I’ve got to believe that is what Kaz was trying to provide.

Even so, race saves wouldn't prevent.

I've taken this mental trip three times in GT4 by myself. In all honesty it wasn't that much different from the other races, mostly because the AI doesn't put up enough of a fight.
 
Why does everyone want endurance race saves?

They would take away from the entire point of the races. GT5 is a racing sim game. And being able to stop in the middle of a twenty four hour race isn't realistic. Its meant to test you. If you don't want your playstation running that long. Then don't run the races. Stop complaining about an awesome game. Race saves would be a stupid idea. If you can't stop in the middle of the real 24 hour races why should you be aloud to stop here. Switch drivers yeah sure. But not stop comepletely.
Listen,
if you don't want to pause and save you don't pause and save, period.

I don't have to justify myself for wanting the opposite.
 
Last edited:
because I like sleep... and not leaving my PS3 on and paused for days at a time.
 
Dude, you should apply for a job at PD.
LOL!
Even so, race saves wouldn't prevent.
I've taken this mental trip three times in GT4 by myself. In all honesty it wasn't that much different from the other races, mostly because the AI doesn't put up enough of a fight.
As I said, in GT I used a car that would be competitive, aka, not an equal car.

We really need to agree to disagree...
If we all felt the same, it'd be prety boring around here.
 
If we all felt the same, it'd be prety boring around here.

That's practically my motto. The only thing I don't like about the resistance to race saves is that it's a win-win. I can't see where the negative is, it's just making people lose out for no reason.

I wouldn't benefit from it at all. Like I said, if I were to do an endurance race, I'd do it online. But saves are in demand and it's not like it will detract from someone who won't use them.
 
That's practically my motto. The only thing I don't like about the resistance to race saves is that it's a win-win. I can't see where the negative is, it's just making people lose out for no reason.

I wouldn't benefit from it at all. Like I said, if I were to do an endurance race, I'd do it online. But saves are in demand and it's not like it will detract from someone who won't use them.
No!
My opinion is right!

:)
 
The only thing I don't like about the resistance to race saves is that it's a win-win. I can't see where the negative is, it's just making people lose out for no reason.

Precisely 👍

BTW you don't see any, because there aren't any.
 
Why does everyone want endurance race saves?

They would take away from the entire point of the races. GT5 is a racing sim game. And being able to stop in the middle of a twenty four hour race isn't realistic. Its meant to test you. If you don't want your playstation running that long. Then don't run the races. Stop complaining about an awesome game. Race saves would be a stupid idea. If you can't stop in the middle of the real 24 hour races why should you be aloud to stop here. Switch drivers yeah sure. But not stop comepletely.

It don't happen in real life so it shouldn't happen here. IRL The 24hr races have multiple drivers.

My neighbor or friend isn't gonna take over for me when I go to sleep or go to work.

So when do you eat or use the bathroom or get rest? Like said before if you hit pause you might as well hit save.

There are also disclaimers, one I know for sure is Metal Gear. During the loading screens they tell you to take a break from playing long stints and get plenty of rest. Surely Kaz isn't looking at a screen to see how many psn users are playing for 24 hrs with only the pit stop to use as a means of rest.
 
Last edited:
Important Health Warning About Playing Video Games

Photosensitive Seizures

A very small percentage of people may experience a seizure when exposed to certain visual images, including flashing lights or patterns that may appear in video games. Even people who have no history of seizures or epilepsy may have an undiagnosed condition that can cause these "photosensitive epileptic seizures" while watching video games.

These seizures may have a variety of symptoms, including lightheadedness, altered vision, eye or face twitching, jerking or shaking of arms/legs, disorientation, confusion or monetary loss of awareness. Seizures may also cause loss of consciousness or convulsions that can lead to injury from falling down or striking near objects.

Immediately stop playing and consult a doctor is you experience any of these symptoms. Parents should watch for or ask their children about the above symptoms - children and teenagers are more likely than adults to experience these seizures. The risk of photosensitive epilectic seizures may be reduced by taking the following precautions: Sit farther from the screen; Use a smaller screen; play in a well lit room;do not play when you are drowsy or fatigued.

If you or any of your relatives have a history of seizures or epilepsy, contact a doctor before playing.
 
profi
Important Health Warning About Playing Video Games

Photosensitive Seizures

A very small percentage of people may experience a seizure when exposed to certain visual images, including flashing lights or patterns that may appear in video games. Even people who have no history of seizures or epilepsy may have an undiagnosed condition that can cause these "photosensitive epileptic seizures" while watching video games.

These seizures may have a variety of symptoms, including lightheadedness, altered vision, eye or face twitching, jerking or shaking of arms/legs, disorientation, confusion or monetary loss of awareness. Seizures may also cause loss of consciousness or convulsions that can lead to injury from falling down or striking near objects.

Immediately stop playing and consult a doctor is you experience any of these symptoms. Parents should watch for or ask their children about the above symptoms - children and teenagers are more likely than adults to experience these seizures. The risk of photosensitive epilectic seizures may be reduced by taking the following precautions: Sit farther from the screen; Use a smaller screen; play in a well lit room;do not play when you are drowsy or fatigued.

If you or any of your relatives have a history of seizures or epilepsy, contact a doctor before playing.

Yeah I know. We see that everytime we buy a game?
 
Why does everyone want endurance race saves?


I'll tell you why whiz kid.

Because yesterday I was right at 18 hrs completed at the 24hrs of Lemans when I had a power blip.

In about 1 sec. all 18 hrs of racing vanished before my very eyes.
:sick: :ouch: :mad: 🤬

Any other dumb questions?
 
Back