Racing line? Yes or No?

• Thread starter JDigital
  • 93 comments

Are you faster WITHOUT the racing line on?

• Yes

Votes: 118 61.1%
  • No

Votes: 53 27.5%
  • Same Results

Votes: 22 11.4%

• Total voters
For the longest time I'd race with all assists off except the racing line. I don't know why I always liked it but I'd use it for brake points etc... However recently I've started running without the racing line and it really seems like I drive much better and faster. It takes away the artificial markers (that even move), and forced me to use real track markers and pay more attention to what tires I was on, etc...

I was just curious what other people's thoughts are on the racing line? Are you faster with it or without it? Do you look at it as kind of amateur? Does it really have a place in pro physics with assists off?

Without a doubt you will be faster without the racing line because it does not take into account different speeds and different abilities of different cars and driving styles. I also think its pretty distracting when you are in a racing situation where you need to alter your braking points or your line.
Is it an amateur tool? Not really, it can help with learning new tracks or just helping those rusty with their braking points, etc. Also, some people don't have very good TVs so they almost need it to be able to brake accurately sometimes.
Does it have a place in Pro physics without assists? Well, I suppose thats opinion really. But I'd say it doesn't really give an advantage, all it does is help people who don't know their tracks very well and it isn't the fastest way around the track.

I always will recommend learning to use landmarks in the track for braking points because they are by far the most reliable thing to use and are easily adjustable for different cars and situations....as long as you don't use shadows like a certain French F1 driver!!!

I think having a look at the racing line is not a bad idea if you're looking at shaving your lap times - it helps to have as much info as possible about the track dynamics.
After having a look at the racing line and memorising braking points etc, i'd prefer to have it turned off.

Never had it on. question though do they allow race line in pro events?

I have it on and always have done.

I don't really see how you can be significantly faster without it either... the line is only a guide afterall, and with experience you learn were you need to brake earlier or later than the suggested points or where you need to run a wider or a narrower line... just the same as you would if you are using marker points. I certainly find it a help in the midst of a pack of cars when on-line racing when I might be concentrating on not running in to the car infront and miss my braking point.

Many of the replays I watch from the top time trialists have the line on and IIRC, most (or at least a lot) of the top times in the IFTC had the line on too.

It's a matter of personal taste.

The early results of the poll seem to say that I'm not incorrect and that you are faster without the line... wonder what the results will be in a little while when more people have voted...

The few times I've enabled the line, it's prompted me to make adjustments I normally wouldn't, adjusting my line mid corner, etc, causing loss of control. For this reason, I'm faster without the line.

However, I'm sure that if I used it enough I'd get used to it and it wouldn't affect my times much at all.

The line just distracts me from racing... I never turn it on, even on tracks I dont know... like to find out for myself... :D and I reckon you can go faster without using it... 👍

I'm faster without, but made sure to use it at first to learn the proper racing line on unfamiliar circuits.

Seems a lot of racers online need to check the racing line to A. Make them faster and B. Stop them from causing stupid, unnecessary incidents by blundering their way through corners and into me!

like to find out for myself... :D and I reckon you can go faster without using it... 👍

👍 Yea i like to find out for myself also, it makes it more interesting and the more times you hit that specific track the better acquainted you become with it.

I'm faster without, but made sure to use it at first to learn the proper racing line on unfamiliar circuits.

Seems a lot of racers online need to check the racing line to A. Make them faster and B. Stop them from causing stupid, unnecessary incidents by blundering their way through corners and into me!:

I agree with you on that 👍

The line just distracts me from racing... I never turn it on, even on tracks I dont know... like to find out for myself... :D and I reckon you can go faster without using it... 👍

Same here, the line just distracts me! I know it's just a guide, but i look at to much when it is on.

Same here, the line just distracts me! I know it's just a guide, but i look at to much when it is on.

X2, If Sam ever has a lap or 2 on my account, and I jump back in and she has left the DL on, it goes straight off. I find it very annoying, and also look at it too much. 👍

I find that it helps with tracks that I don't know but it also hinders learning the track properly. I tend to focus on the line instead of finding other markers. On Daytona road, I use a couple of shadows for braking points. Races at daytona road are luckily always at the same time of day with the same weather.

Shadows?? Who used them? Not very smart is it :lol:

None other than Jean Alesi of course! Pretty crazy and it had the obvious consequences later in the races! He didn't do this all the time, and its apparently a rumour, but it would explain some of his more odd crashes, lol.

I used to have it on when I was learning the tracks but since then I race with it off.

I used it!
But always use other braking points and get out of the line very often. I try to get back on it when entering corners as to me it seems to take a better corner entry. but I guess is all in my head. once I start racing again I'll turn them off.

I used it twice, But i have to say it does have a cool interface. But i chose faster with out it, It's just to much clutter, I already have to deal with the Cluttered HUD. Plus it would deffenently knock off alot more time; Constantly paying attention to the colour morphing lines to see if your doing the same speed.. That and i rather thrash the around corners cleanly. Rather then stride with Grace.

Last edited:
I've used it once, but found it confusing. I used to use it on the license tests in the older GT's (can't remember which ones, won't try to name them in order to avoid looking stupid...), but since then I kind of know basically what sort of line to be taking. In fact I generally get in the slipstream of other cars so I just follow them, which is generally why when I'm in the lead I start losing time, because I haven't got a clue where I'm supposed to be!

Nah, I'm joking, I have Fuji, Suzuka, HSR and Daytona Speedway (ha ha) down quite well after racing them extensively on GT4. Eiger not so much, though I did play GTHD a lot so I know how fast I should be through each section, but the line is often a bit funny. Daytona's infield track is a mystery to me still, I always mess that one up, and London, I rely on oversteer to get me out of the really odd corner entries I seem to make!

I don't have many markers or anything, in fact I can only think of one, that being the striped kerb on the outside of Fuji's first turn, that's generally where I start braking, but even that ends up being a bit too early most of the time.

So to answer the question, I found the line to be more confusing than just working it out for myself, so I doubt I'd be faster with it on.

I allways have the racing line turned but i dont tend to use it, it just reminds me there is a corner coming up when its bright red and i should think of slowing down, for some reason with it of i sometimes get carried away with battles and forget to brake at all lol

I think the driving line will be helpful for people to understand how to save their tires, once there's damage.

My results are similar, using or not.

If you understand what an apex is, you really don't need the line... just practice.

lol oops i accidentaly pressed yes, i really dont know because i've always had it on since i got gt5p, but i think it would improve it just a little

I think the driving line will be helpful for people to understand how to save their tires, once there's damage.

My results are similar, using or not.

If you understand what an apex is, you really don't need the line... just practice.

Yea i agree with you on that about saving the tires. My problem with the driving line on is, say i got a great lap time i would have an internal battle with myself for the fact of i would feel like im only doing good because of the line helping me. If i could give anyone advice about the line i would say run with it off. Yea you might be slower at first, but with practice you will master any track to your full capabilities. Also in the end when you post your personal lap time it is much more rewarding when you have the line off 👍

I feel like I hold the line better when I'm visualizing it on the track as opposed seeing it there. I also feel much better when racing without the line as I find it easier to adapt my line as traffic dictates.

I use the racing line mainly so i know when to let someone pass, or to slam the door shut on them. If everyone used it I think alot less accidents would happen. I dont think it makes you faster, but more consistent... yes it does.

Latest Posts

Back