Racing line? Yes or No?

• Thread starter JDigital
  • 93 comments

Are you faster WITHOUT the racing line on?

• Yes

Votes: 118 61.1%
  • No

Votes: 53 27.5%
  • Same Results

Votes: 22 11.4%

• Total voters
For me I don't like racing lines.. because it forces me to use it.. so i tend to make more mistakes. When you take a track by your own pace you get more familiarized with it much quicker with confidence. After you think you master it, watch some top 10 replays to learn from the pros.

Besides..
The good old GEAR gauge flashy thingy is better to learn new tracks. Everyone knows how to TURN! its when to stop and what gear to be in is the most challenging part.

I have been using the line since i got to game, but don't pay much attention to it now. It is handy for breaking markers though, especially if you are entering the corner at a different speed than usual. Perhaps it's time to wean myself off it. I have noticed though, when following people that don't use the line, they tend to pretty much stick to where the line would be anyway.

The good old GEAR gauge flashy thingy is better to learn new tracks. Everyone knows how to TURN! its when to stop and what gear to be in is the most challenging part.

+1 on the stop part of this quote.I turned it on a few days ago for the first time because i am finding it hard these days to pinpoint my brake release point,I don't brake at the start of the red line as i find its too early,and as for the blue bit,i dont pay any mind to that part.

It seems like the general consensus is that the line makes you slower and/or sucks. My biggest problem with it has always been that it takes very lazy turns sometimes and the brake points are wrong. I guess it assumes you're going to do a nice smooth brake cycle but the reality is that in racing you brake as late as possible, as hard as possible, and for the shortest time possible...

The line will not help you with those three things.

It seems like the general consensus is that the line makes you slower and/or sucks. My biggest problem with it has always been that it takes very lazy turns sometimes and the brake points are wrong. I guess it assumes you're going to do a nice smooth brake cycle but the reality is that in racing you brake as late as possible, as hard as possible, and for the shortest time possible...

The line will not help you with those three things.

Breaking late and hard is more often than not slower than breaking earlier and gentler, as you have less control of the car.

I've never used the line when driving seriously. I did turn in on once or twice to see how effective it was (and was forced to use it at the last auto show I attended, along with standard physics and full driver aids [Almost felt like there was no point to driving]). It did show me where I was off at a couple places, but it also took paths that were slower than my usual driving line. Overall, I just say go without it unless you really don't know how to approach a particular corner at all.

Breaking late and hard is more often than not slower than breaking earlier and gentler, as you have less control of the car.

No I don't mean slam the brake pedal to the floor.

By braking as hard "as possible" I mean to brake as quickly as you can while maintaining control of the car and not locking up the tires... This should be a smooth motion, but not as smooth as the racing line would have you do it.

If you don't know the track, the racing line will help you. If you know the track, it slows you down.

I only use it for the cornering speeds... I use a sixaxis so for some reason I need to brake extra so the car doesn't understeer... need to get a dfgt i know. then i can turn it off. because i know the tracks pretty well.

Well I don't mind if others use it for getting use to a track. But I try and uphold the most realistic approach to driving in GT and therefore I won't drive with it on. On the occasion that I have had it on...I get relatively similar results, the line as others have said is just a guide, however it is not a bad guide for those that don't have much of an understanding of new track-car combo's. It is a good feature of GT though, one they should keep as it promotes better track lines, and helps new comer's get the hang of GT...so when they go online they won't bump others off.
Rusty*

Well I don't mind if others use it for getting use to a track. But I try and uphold the most realistic approach to driving in GT and therefore I won't drive with it on. On the occasion that I have had it on...I get relatively similar results, the line as others have said is just a guide, however it is not a bad guide for those that don't have much of an understanding of new track-car combo's. It is a good feature of GT though, one they should keep as it promotes better track lines, and helps new comer's get the hang of GT...so when they go online they won't bump others off.
Rusty*

Hey Rusty! Havent seen you around in a while... how are things going?! 👍

Hey Rusty! Havent seen you around in a while... how are things going?! 👍

Hey Blitz, yeah I'm doing alright.:D:tup:
Good to see your still here!
:gtpflag:GTP:gtpflag: is a great place, I've also noticed the amount of clean driver's online seems to have picked up. I hope it stays that way...:dopey:
mPWRD
I use a sixaxis so for some reason I need to brake extra so the car doesn't understeer

Hey mPWRD, what Cars have you noticed this happening in? Because I have found that only apply about half to three-quater's braking power can drastically assist in maintaining an entry line into a corner( I was testing at Suzuka). This does make perfect sense as in real life it is faster to apply less braking force when trying to turn onto an entry line.
Just an idea,;)
Rusty*

It's been on ever since I got the game. Never bothered to turn it off.

In general, I don't pay much attention to it. I'm often on a different line, especially on long fast curved straights (does curved straights make sence?). But I like having it around for reference. Especially for braking. I'll use it as a marker. "I should be 'this far' into the red before I snap into the turn". It also tells me how good my braking will be when I switch cars. One car will have a short red braking area while another will show a long red line. Helps me realize that THIS car handles quite differently than the one I was just using.

I think it's a good thing for online racing. It would let people know, when heading into a corner, that you're not actually on the general racing line - the guy next to you is....so maybe you want to yeild the corner to the person on the racing line.

in my experience having the line on distracted me from looking far enough down the track. at the speeds we're racing at you really should be focused a good ways out.

I can't say I have used the racing line, I am sure it can help you pick braking points and the likes, as for fastest line? No I wouldn't follow the line myself.

I never used it. And I don't want too... It is like cheating for me, it seems to be too easy to do that compared to the way to learn by myself the best way to be faster.

I use it, but it's only a benchmark on which i improve on to go faster and faster.

It reminds me of the little flashing red light in gt4, I don't like it as I panic and brake too soon or spend time trying to see the suggested speed which is always wrong for me.

Having never used the racing line I couldn't possibly say. I can't imagine it would make me faster though, if anything it would probably distract me. I don't think the racing line belongs in Gran Turismo or any other game for that matter, so I will NEVER use it.

The racing line, to me, makes me brake way too early. I'm always having to get back onto the gas after braking in order to take the turn at the best possible speed. It's for that reason that I keep it off.

My lap times are pretty much the same with the visible racing line or without. I was surprised when I found this out, but I realised it was because once I'd learned the tracks and the cars, I was choosing my own braking points etc anyway regardless of whether the visible marker was there or not. Did find the racing line helpful when I first started the game though, for finding roughly where to break for the corners given that the majority of the circuits were unfamiliar to me.

It's a nice feature. Helps to have it when you're first learning the track, but can be removed when you're comfortable. With a speculated 96 tracks in GT5... we just might need it.

I still use it, But I tried it with it off and still managed a similar time... But overall, A good feature to have, for learners to learn and for the more advanced to show their skills ;)

I think it should not be allowed in actual racing

I think it should be disabled for at least Expert events. I think it should be used to free runs and beginner events only, removing it for the online time trials and so on.

I think it should be disabled for at least Expert events. I think it should be used to free runs and beginner events only, removing it for the online time trials and so on.

Good point, hopefully PD gives the ability to allow/disallow in private rooms of GT5

Back