Racing pictures by members

• Thread starter GTP_Nail
  • 63 comments
United States
Tennessee
nail-27
This thread is to share personal pix , not copied ones, by GTP Members who attend races world wide or actually take part in them. Don't wory about quality but please date and id your posts. This includes past races as well as present. Enjoy. Please post thumbnails. It's a bitch to load pix that you have no interest:crazy:

RACE POSTERS WANTED TOO!

Here are the Godzilla's from St Pete .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
3956 Rossi waving to us. Catalunya MotoGP race 2012.
4585 Rachel Brookes and her TV crew. Catalunya F1 test 2014.
4574 Ferrari truck. Catalunya F1 test 2014.
3176 Catalunya MotoGP race 2011.
3811 Imola track day 2011.
3796 Imola main grandstand 2011.
3788 Imola Senna memorial 2011.
3785 Imola Senna statue 2011.
3774 Monza Parabolica accident simulation (training) 2011.
3748 Monza pits 2011.
3735 Monza pits 2011.
3726 Monza pit marshalls 2011.
3721 Monza (old oval circuit) 2011.
3348 Red Bull rally event (Stockholm) 2011.

1264 Spa clubhouse 2009.
1271 Spa Eau Rouge 2009.
1284 Spa final chicane 2009.
1298 Spa Stavelot (I think) 2009.

Attachments

• SAM_3956.JPG
    SAM_3956.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 55
  • SAM_4585.JPG
    SAM_4585.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 53
  • SAM_4574.JPG
    SAM_4574.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 52
  • SAM_3176.JPG
    SAM_3176.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 53
  • SAM_3811.JPG
    SAM_3811.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 50
  • SAM_3796.JPG
    SAM_3796.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 51
  • SAM_3788.JPG
    SAM_3788.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 52
  • SAM_3785.JPG
    SAM_3785.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 52
  • SAM_3774.JPG
    SAM_3774.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 50
  • SAM_3748.JPG
    SAM_3748.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 52
  • SAM_3735.JPG
    SAM_3735.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 50
  • SAM_3726.JPG
    SAM_3726.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 51
  • SAM_3721.JPG
    SAM_3721.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 51
  • SAM_3348.JPG
    SAM_3348.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN1264.JPG
    DSCN1264.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN1271.JPG
    DSCN1271.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN1284.JPG
    DSCN1284.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN1298.JPG
    DSCN1298.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 50
Well I certainly let the genie out of the bottle this time!

I could not figure out where to post my pix....soI created one .

The problem with you guys living living in the UK is that there are so many races and so little time. Many years ago I was a USAF aviator stationed at RAF Alconbury.....and played a bit with guys like Colin Blower and Chris Meeks....I was field filler in a Europa that I drove to and from the track. It was not a question of if I could find a race...it was which ones do I want to do. You guys are lucky!

Here is a picture of my race poster from my first British GP....I conned if off a bird in the RAC London Office....who won the race and what was he driving...no google....pull out your Autocourse if you must...but no electronic cheating:lol:
image.jpeg

The only pics I have are from last years TUSCC/WSCC race at Road America. They suck as they were taken with a crappy point-and-shoot camera operated by an idiot.

Link to gallery.

I was hoping to get a better camera and attend more races this year, but I probably won't have time since I'm going to be doing two jobs for awhile.

Any guesses as to which car I'm driving?haha

Complete guess here, but the 30? I'm totally not basing it on your avatar.:sly:

:lol:

Hmmm...something was racing...so it qualifies...now who is the driver?
There's a driver in the pic? I only see Shayyyyy. :dunce:

Some more from Sebring:

Attachments

• 20160321_174539.jpg
    20160321_174539.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 20160318_190457.jpg
    20160318_190457.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 20160318_173115.jpg
    20160318_173115.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 55
Here are a quartet from 1973...I was on leave from slightly more ...er....frantic duties in SEA. Location is Mosport for the Can/Am F5000 weekend. I jumped in my GMC Jimmy....a sleeping bag...credit card....stove....cooler...and what's her name. Great weekend. David Hobbs was the fastest man in America in those days....not even Mario and Brian Redman could keep up with him. The F5000s were basically F1 cars with 5 litre American V-8s in the back...not subtle.

Attachments

• 74r mos dm hobbs posey redman mcrae.jpg
    74r mos dm hobbs posey redman mcrae.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 74r mos f5000 mario andretti.jpg
    74r mos f5000 mario andretti.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 74r mos ca oliver uop shadow pan moss corner.jpg
    74r mos ca oliver uop shadow pan moss corner.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 41
  • David Hobbs Lola T-332 Hogan winner.jpg
    David Hobbs Lola T-332 Hogan winner.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 42
+++ Sorry for double posting +++

Awesome shots. :bowdown:
I gotta ask you something. I love taking pictures while I'm at a race, but since I don't have a proper camera and can only take photos with my Samsung Galaxy S4, so I just wanted to ask you what canera/lens combo should be good enough for a starter like me. I'm planning to get myself a proper cam next year for my racing trips. :)

Last edited:
+++ Sorry for double posting +++

Awesome shots. :bowdown:
I gotta ask you something. I love taking pictures while I'm at a race, but since I don't have a proper camera and can only take photos with my Samsung Galaxy S4, so I just wanted to ask you what canera/lens combo should be good enough for a starter like me. I'm planning to get myself a proper cam next year for my racing trips. :)

I have to be honest, I'm not a camera buff.. if you check out the Photography thread there are some people there that really know their stuff...

... but I'll say now, it depends on your budget, you'll pretty much need a DSLR and a couple of lenses. Personally, I've gotten this far buying mostly second hand stuff, so I'd recommend that :)

I'd suggest something like a 70-300mm lens for most stuff at the track. Lenses are never best when max zoomed, but something like this..

Aston Martin Vantage GT3 by Matt Stokes, on Flickr

... was shot at 238mm with my trusty (and cheap second hand) Sigma 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 APO lens, this is a noisy and often slow to focus lens, but the crap it's been through with me, means I love it like I love my feet!. You could go for a 200mm lens, and maybe crop the pictures a little afterwards... but, the greater the focal length, the more chance your camera will be focusing well past any catch fences that are in your way.

In this one..

Rob Collard by Matt Stokes, on Flickr

The reason why the rear tyre is grey, and the front one is black, is because there is a wire fence in between the camera and the car... the more you can zoom in on the car, the less you will notice the fence (larger aperture, and longer exposure will also help minimise it).

note: the reason why the marshalls look so saturated is because I've messed around in photoshop to try and minimise the grey appearance... this is a clumsy technique badly applied in the shot above.

The more experienced guys will probably have better suggestions than that, but that's the way I deal with it, and I find the 300mm most suitable for this.

Beyond that, I find my cheapo 50mm prime (the F1.8 one, not the F1.4 one) very useful for not car stuff, and I've a Tamron 10-24mm wide angle that is useful for some trick shots, and when you want to fit a lot in one shot, but don't have much space..

Polestar C30 WTCC by Matt Stokes, on Flickr

I also have a 500mm, but that was really cheap, and is therefore rubbish, so I barely use it, and when I do, I don't take it past 350mm... in fact I think the only shot I've ever uploaded at 400mm+ is this one..

BMW M3 DTM, Andy Priaulx by Matt Stokes, on Flickr

Which was 453mm, though upon closer inspection is all a bit fuzzy.

There's also a 28-105 in my kit bag, it's kinda useful when in the paddock for general shots, but again it was cheap, so the results are often not great.

Just my two cents ;)

Last edited:

I have to be honest, I'm not a camera buff.. if you check out the Photography thread there are some people there that really know their stuff...

... but I'll say now, it depends on your budget, you'll pretty much need a DSLR and a couple of lenses. Personally, I've gotten this far buying mostly second hand stuff, so I'd recommend that :)

I'd suggest something like a 70-300mm lens for most stuff at the track. Lenses are never best when max zoomed, but something like this..

Aston Martin Vantage GT3 by Matt Stokes, on Flickr

... was shot at 238mm with my trusty (and cheap second hand) Sigma 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 APO lens. You could go for a 200mm lens, and maybe crop the pictures a little afterwards... but, the greater the focal length, the more chance you're camera will be focusing well past any catch fences that are in your way.

In this one..

Rob Collard by Matt Stokes, on Flickr

The reason why the rear tyre is grey, and the front one is black, is because there is a wire fence in between the camera and the car... the more you can zoom in on the car, the less you will notice the fence (larger aperture, and longer exposure will also help minimise it).

The more experienced guys will probably have better suggestions than that, but that's the way I deal with it, and I find the 300mm most suitable for this.

Beyond that, I find my cheapo 50mm prime (the F1.8 one, not the F1.4 one) very useful for not car stuff, and I've a Tamron 10-24mm wide angle that is useful for some trick shots, and when you want to fit a lot in one shot, but don't have much space..

Polestar C30 WTCC by Matt Stokes, on Flickr

I also have a 500mm, but that was really cheap, and is therefore rubbish, so I barely use it. There's also a 28-105 in my kit bag, it's kinda useful when in the paddock for general shots, but again it was cheap, so the results are often not great.

Just my two cents ;)
Thanks a lot for your advice, Matt! :) I took a screenshot of it because I'll "need" it in just a couple of months - at the 12th July I'll be travelling to Norway to meet fellow member @syntex123 and we'll go to the Gatebil festival at Rudskogen. I've set myself a little, or better said, not so little project of making some kind of short movie / video about the people, the festival itself, and, of course, the cars that the people will bring with them. I'll be taking some pictures aswell, of course. My inspiration was taken by this video right here:

Of course, I can't take most of the driving shots, but some decent trackside shots would be more than good enough. I've also planned to maybe ask some people there about what there sight on the festival is, their passion about cars, and all that stuff around. If I'm very lucky, even talk with a driver there. Aaaand now I've realised that I've gone slightly off topic now, haha. :dunce:
I'll let you know on further updates/questions regarding the whole racing photography thing. :gtpflag:

nice night photo Matski...very well done.

Antique pictures from F1 test day Brands....1976... Read about it in my weekly racing rag...jumped in the Europa....grabbed 4 rolls of 36 and made a day of it. Not a bit like today. The "Thanks James" on the side of the ligier next to the tyre doughnut was referring to James Hunt and Jacques getting up close and personal in the previous race in Spain if I remember correctly.

Attachments

• 76r bh td jacques laffite suits up with ligier.jpg
    76r bh td jacques laffite suits up with ligier.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 76r bh td carlos pace in brabham talking  with crewchief.jpg
    76r bh td carlos pace in brabham talking with crewchief.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 76r bh td jaques laffite being  strapped in liger.jpg
    76r bh td jaques laffite being strapped in liger.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 76r bh td laffites ligier with thanks james from pre race.jpg
    76r bh td laffites ligier with thanks james from pre race.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 28
I'm not sure it's a form of racing a lot of people around here follow but I had a great time at the Indianapolis round of AMA Supercross. Pictures attached below.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg