Rain & Snow in Gran Turismo 5 - [UPDATED] finally, officially confirmed!!!!!

Although it's true that GT5 has better rendered cars, I don't believe you can call Forza 3's interior rudimentary. There's some great examples, with the Audi R8 & the Ferrari F430 being beautifully made and great to drive in.
For every decent looking one there's one that looks like a Chinese knock-off. Notably non-functioning gauges and dials, poor driving position, the infamous crab-hands of death, questionably shifting animation, low-resolution textures and generally not nearly enough detail.

There are some decent ones, don't get me wrong. But already the best interior view of any game out there was the Racing Citroen GT on Trial Mountain, so much detail, quality animations, decent resolution shadows (no 'jaggies'). That's the new benchmark.
Damn, that guy drove it like he stole it. The most relaxed supercar owner I've seen.

Might as well drive like you stole it, considering how much money he must have had to buy one of those. And I suppose someone's gotta keep those insurance companies afloat.

That MC12 owner is a guy who would be a hell of a lot of fun to have beers with. He's just so down to earth and "normal", for somebody who drops that kind of coin on anything.

I believe cars will be limited on what tracks they can drive on by what tires they can use, much as it was in GT4. You couldn't purchase snow or dirt tires for race cars & specialty cars.
I believe this will most likely be the case in GT5 also. Suspect you won't see a Toyota GT-One on the snowy streets on New York as with PGR. :)

As far as what specific tracks should have dynamic weather, the Nürburgring is at the top of the list for me.

I would like to see rain and snow on the Nürburgring - not at the same time or anything, but it definitely needs to rain and snow there! 👍

99% sure it will not snow on the nordschleife.

Yea. 99% sure falling snow will only be on the snow tracks and falling rain will only be on the tarmac tracks.

Why do I say that? The weather trailer only showed those situations. But PD do hide a lot of stuff from us.

[A very famous motorsports journalist and announcer who happens to be one of my Facebook friends] had a picture sent to him of Spa-Francorchamps getting snowed over. One picture was called "Snow Rouge," whereas Eau Rouge was snowed over. I remember a few ovals here in the United States where qualifying was canceled due to snow. So it happens. I obviously don't live in Germany, so I don't know if it would ever snow there. I'm already terrible at the 'Ring, so I don't even want to fathom racing this purgatory on anything other than dry roads.

Yes, but I think Snow will be off for Endurance race.

Hmm icy sounds cool, like an early cold December morning after raining all night.

Something tells me that will be in GT6. Also I do not relay want to race in ICY weather.

also

Weather changes include temperature differences, air pressure changes, and humidity, affecting the surface conditions of the track dynamically.

So that is true in real life, cold will have less traction over the hot surface. But cold weather will have better performance on engines over hot weather. I wonder if engine performance will be affected in gt5 because of that.

What does humidity do exactly to the car or traction? Anyone knows?

I wonder how the tire choice will effect your race during weather. I mean if everybody puts on slicks and then it starts to rain I wonder if the game will force everyone to pit to change tires or if you will even be able to pit. Thinking of Eiger (because of the recent videos)it has no pits so are we going to have to just drive slower with our slicks? Or is the new part of this track going to be a longer course or is that going to be the pit area, the only thing is the new part of Eiger looks to be gravel to me.

Yes, but I think Snow will be off for Endurance race.

Hmm icy sounds cool, like an early cold December morning after raining all night.

Something tells me that will be in GT6. Also I do not relay want to race in ICY weather.

also

So that is true in real life, cold will have less traction over the hot surface. But cold weather will have better performance on engines over hot weather. I wonder if engine performance will be affected in gt5 because of that.

What does humidity do exactly to the car or traction? Anyone knows?

I can only guess that with alot of humidity, possibly fog... Also Humidity has an amplifies air temperature. There were times when 88 degrees felt like 105.

As for Nürburgring, yes it snows there. and they shut down the track to vehicle traffic. People go cross-country sking on the track. There is a Webcam at the Nürb entrance. During the winter you will see people skiing.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg

[A very famous motorsports journalist and announcer who happens to be one of my Facebook friends] had a picture sent to him of Spa-Francorchamps getting snowed over. One picture was called "Snow Rouge," whereas Eau Rouge was snowed over. I remember a few ovals here in the United States where qualifying was canceled due to snow. So it happens. I obviously don't live in Germany, so I don't know if it would ever snow there. I'm already terrible at the 'Ring, so I don't even want to fathom racing this purgatory on anything other than dry roads.

Has the photo of "Snow rouge" anything to do with gt5?

Last edited:
It's more constructive then your post. Use the report function if you think it is spam.

I don't mean it that way. I mean was the photo of "snow rouge" from gt5?
His post is not clear about that.

I can show photo's of spa in the snow... google it. Nothing special about it.

I don't mean it that way. I mean was the photo of "snow rouge" from gt5?
His post is not clear about that.

I can show photo's of spa in the snow... google it.

Sorry I didn't understand your post either. Your post was not clear about that. :)

Last edited:
All I was saying is that snow is possible at race tracks. And I wouldn't fathom snow on proper tarmac race courses unless it's something like rallycross. That's all I'm saying.

I believe cars will be limited on what tracks they can drive on by what tires they can use, much as it was in GT4. You couldn't purchase snow or dirt tires for race cars & specialty cars.
I believe this will most likely be the case in GT5 also. Suspect you won't see a Toyota GT-One on the snowy streets on New York as with PGR. :)

I never understood why those special cars in GT4 couldn't enter a 0-1000m run and yet you could enter 0-400m and Top Speed runs.

I'd imagine stiffly setup cars would incur serious damage on rally courses over jumps and bumpy sections. Still it would be fun if we had the opportunity.

The advantage rFactor 2 has, is that it can work with a much larger buffer for the windscreen effects, resulting in higher resolution / detail in the droplets. This may be why the rain effect is not visible on the virtual camera viewpoints in the GT5 demos we've seen, since it appears to be quite low res. on the windscreen alone. (I'm assuming it's a "texture" based effect, as opposed to a geometry or single-pass "shader" effect).

P.S. I mentioned a while back that GT might be gunning for the PC sims (I had rFactor 2 in my mind, I may even have said it) - I just hope the physics stack up to the visual effects. :)

Me too.

I know that there are going to be frame drops from time to time, due to everything that PD has packed into GT5 - and I am just fine with that!

Just look at the level of polish in all the little details and that is why I don't care about losing a few frames every now and then. :sly:

Back