Rain & Snow in Gran Turismo 5 - [UPDATED] finally, officially confirmed!!!!!

Videos run at 30fps and the game is trying to constantly run at 60fps. If it drops to 30 fps accasionaly I don't think you will even notice the difference. Action seens in 30fps movies don't seem jolty do they.

Videos run at 30fps and the game is trying to constantly run at 60fps. If it drops to 30 fps accasionaly I don't think you will even notice the difference. Action seens in 30fps movies don't seem jolty do they.

The problem with frame drops isn't so much that it's just dropping to half the framerate, when watching a movie at 30,25 or 24 fps each frame is shown at it's correct time but in game rendering the frame that's supposed to be shown 1/60th sec. after the previous frame but takes longer to draw is actually shown 1/30th sec. (double the time) after the previous frame. So if 1 frame is dropped in a series of frames it's not only a frame that's missing but 1 frame will be out of sync in that series.

The problem with frame drops isn't so much that it's just dropping to half the framerate, when watching a movie at 30,25 or 24 fps each frame is shown at it's correct time but in game rendering the frame that's supposed to be shown 1/60th sec. after the previous frame but takes longer to draw is actually shown 1/30th sec. (double the time) after the previous frame. So if 1 frame is dropped in a series of frames it's not only a frame that's missing but 1 frame will be out of sync in that series.

Ah right now I get it.

I think the most important thing to remember with rain and snow is to know how to practice your racing ability on these courses when it's wet or icy. I admit- I'm terrible in rain racing. I don't really practice racing in the wet for games that have wet or icy conditions. I think you have to begin learning the nuances of the wet driving physics. Then, apply those to your favorite car and try to adjust your car's setup to race the car like a pro.

[The first] GTR remains the worst rain racing experiences I've ever experienced in a racing game. Heavy rain in that game is suicide. You have no freaking idea how difficult it is to race a car in the rain, let alone on a dry track. I've even raced in Colin McRae Rally 2.0 with either wet or snowy conditions. So go play some other racing games to give yourself some practice racing in the rain.

I think the most important thing to remember with rain and snow is to know how to practice your racing ability on these courses when it's wet or icy. I admit- I'm terrible in rain racing. I don't really practice racing in the wet for games that have wet or icy conditions. I think you have to begin learning the nuances of the wet driving physics. Then, apply those to your favorite car and try to adjust your car's setup to race the car like a pro.

[The first] GTR remains the worst rain racing experiences I've ever experienced in a racing game. Heavy rain in that game is suicide. You have no freaking idea how difficult it is to race a car in the rain, let alone on a dry track. I've even raced in Colin McRae Rally 2.0 with either wet or snowy conditions. So go play some other racing games to give yourself some practice racing in the rain.

Different games means different outcomes johnny, should start with economy/rally cars first then build up to supercars.

Different games means different outcomes johnny, should start with economy/rally cars first then build up to supercars.

I agree. 👍

Using Rally cars to learn the in's-and-outs of the weather system implemented in GT5 [dynamic weather & static weather] would be the best start. That way, you can get used to the extreme handling of a machine that is designed to run in those conditions.

After you master the Rally feel - then try the supercars and other vehicles like them.

I look forwards to driving karts in the rain and see if real life kart driving techniques work in real life. Then important thing in the rain is to hold back and let others spin off.

Karts in the rain will be really fun.

I just hope that it shows the rain hitting your hands, arms etc. - since there is no cover over the driver preventing that from occurring. :sly:

^^^ that actually sounds like fun and then as the kart is stuck to the front of my car I shall smash straight in to the wall at 252mph and observe the damage.

I don't really practice racing in the wet for games that have wet or icy conditions. I think you have to begin learning the nuances of the wet driving physics.

Keiichi Tsuchiya says that a drivers true skill shows in the rain, this is where real drivers shine.

Maybe its time to hit Tsukuba Wet for a trackday or 2!👍

I'm going nuts over rain AND SNOW, SNOW! Chamonix with about 3ft of visibility, dusk setting in, red yellow and orange tinted snow shooting out the wheel arches reflecting in rear view mirrors, all of a sudden disappears as you whip the back around through a tight S section.:drool:

or just cruising online in the damp Special Stage Route sections, looking for a little battle or 2 before going back to just cruising.

Goddamn I'm horny.

Keiichi Tsuchiya says that a drivers true skill shows in the rain, this is where real drivers shine.

Maybe its time to hit Tsukuba Wet for a trackday or 2!👍

I'm going nuts over rain AND SNOW, SNOW! Chamonix with about 3ft of visibility, dusk setting in, red yellow and orange tinted snow shooting out the wheel arches reflecting in rear view mirrors, all of a sudden disappears as you whip the back around through a tight S section.:drool:

or just cruising online in the damp Special Stage Route sections, looking for a little battle or 2 before going back to just cruising.

Goddamn I'm horny.

:lol: I know man GT5 is going to be so good, especially with all the new things that are going to happen in the Great forum. :gtpflag:

^^^ that actually sounds like fun and then as the kart is stuck to the front of my car I shall smash straight in to the wall at 252mph and observe the damage.

Ah yuck, the guy driving the car would be squashed I hope we can turn off blood and gore from GT5, the again if it was the stig driving the kart, he would end up as bolts and bits? :scared:

It looks good and great feature to add. We can choose before the race and in few tracks it can rain after couple of laps ??? Does anyone know in how many tracks will variable weather be ?

Last edited:
In the the final build, I would assume most if not all courses that have Day/Night transition will be courses that fall into the endurance events category such as Le Mans, Nurburgring, Daytona Road Course etc,. Toscana, I believe was used as a example because it was a new & because it is short course where the Day/Night transition effects happen quicker. But in the final build, hard to imagine PD would use it as a endurance event where you would get the full benefit of this effect.

Nice observation regnar!

I would love to have weather on all courses - even if it has to be static and randomly applied before a race on most of the courses. :sly: 👍

I hope the day night transition in the real game is more life like and isn't as far as the tuscana ones we've seen.
Rofl when does it ever go from full day to full night in the space of 30 seconds?

Maybe that was just to show off the tech but in the real gamne I hope that effect is spread throughout about half an hour

I hope the day night transition in the real game is more life like and isn't as far as the tuscana ones we've seen.
Rofl when does it ever go from full day to full night in the space of 30 seconds?

Maybe that was just to show off the tech but in the real gamne I hope that effect is spread throughout about half an hour

C'mon on man it was shown like that for demo purpose only. they where showing it off. It will be much more realistic in the final game.

Back