Range Rover SV Coupe Is The World's First Full-Size Luxury SUV Coupe

Other than the 24 years that Land Rover sold a Range Rover without rear doors.

Well said, nothing wrong with this (dodgy poo colour aside):
Range-Rover-Classic-1600x1064.jpg

Not going to lie but this is everything that is wrong with modern car ownership. The idea that people, who let's face it live in cities, need a car this size is questionable but a car this sized with two doors is a joke.

I have to admit I'm kind of at that point now that I'd like to see large SUVs banned from anywhere other than rural areas :/

The way people are going with diesel it will be dead soon. Or we will have hybrid rr, electric or someone will make a wind powered rr.

Not going to lie but this is everything that is wrong with modern car ownership. The idea that people, who let's face it live in cities, need a car this size is questionable but a car this sized with two doors is a joke.
In this weird corner of the market, practicality is almost irrelevant. People will pay more for exclusivity and cars don't necessarily have to be 'better' by any of the metrics by which regular folk judge value; it just has to be different. Firms like Mansory operate on exactly this principle. They make cars significanly different enough for them to charge a huge premium, but I'm not sure any of them are actually an improvement.

Your bang on, it's more about one upping your neighbors and keeping up with trends.

I have to admit I'm a petrol head (obviously being on here!) and have little against super cars, because at least they exist for a tangible reason and generally pushing engineering boundaries. But cars like this are just glorified handbags and as they are used as daily drives there impact on the environment is far worst in my opinion.

So just 2-doors (and a hatch) = a coupe these days?

I bet the interior isn't designed to be hosed down like the original 2-door was.

Don't forget 4-door coupes are a thing these days. "Coupe" is just a label manufacturers use to portray a sportier image.

Of course. Coupe has always been, and is increasingly so, a pretty vague term. As are most car body styles. I can just about accept a 4-door saloon or hatchback being labelled a coupe. But a 2.5 tonne SUV that stands the best part of six foot tall? That's stretching it a bit far.

What was it? The Grand Cherokee Wagoneer? I think that had 2-doors back in the day. Also Bronco, Blazer. Not luxury coupes, but full size up in the air, two box machines. Ford could have beat Land Rover, had they reintroduced the new Bronco sooner.

Your bang on, it's more about one upping your neighbors and keeping up with trends.

I have to admit I'm a petrol head (obviously being on here!) and have little against super cars, because at least they exist for a tangible reason and generally pushing engineering boundaries. But cars like this are just glorified handbags and as they are used as daily drives there impact on the environment is far worst in my opinion.

Supercars are arguably less useful than something like this. The "glorified handbag" jab also tends to apply to them, too.

Some push engineering boundaries, sure. Not all though, just as this doesn't. I'd wager most of these SV Coupes won't get daily use, either; folks that can afford the asking price are probably adding it to a very large collection.

I'm not typically a fan of this type of vehicle — though I find this one strangely appealing — but I recognize it's really no different than a Conti GT or Rolls Ghost.

Supercars are arguably less useful than something like this. The "glorified handbag" jab also tends to apply to them, too.

Some push engineering boundaries, sure. Not all though, just as this doesn't. I'd wager most of these SV Coupes won't get daily use, either; folks that can afford the asking price are probably adding it to a very large collection.

I'm not typically a fan of this type of vehicle — though I find this one strangely appealing — but I recognize it's really no different than a Conti GT or Rolls Ghost.

As someone who has developed both, I have to disagree based on my experiences :)

The number of manufacturing processes that are refined by supercar manufacturers, new materials developed, new engine injection methods created, better brakes, tyre compounds etc. For obvious reasons, I cannot go into details but supercars generally do have a good impact on normal cars and engines, think space frames and hybrids with the current crop of hypercars.

Generally, big SUV's use tech that should have been shelved years ago and largely run on diesel which is by far the worst thing on sale in modern cars (Not HGVs they still need them!). I appreciate supercars can also be labelled 'handbags' but then how many handbags lead to the development of new composite techniques which helps to reduce flight costs and aid space programs? I also appreciate this doesn’t apply to all, as I cannot make a case for how someone like Zenvo have had a better impact than this SUV!

Unfortunately, it's a bit different where I live (South of England) we are dominated by these things everywhere with usually one person behind the wheel. So this will probably be a daily driver for a lot of people :/

Stylistically I agree with you it is a fairly nice looking vehicle just a daft concept. Are they planning a hybrid? That would at least make up for some of the daftness!

I appreciate supercars can also be labelled 'handbags' but then how many handbags lead to the development of new composite techniques which helps to reduce flight costs and aid space programs?

That's what racecars are for. The wider use of materials like aluminium, carbon fiber, kevlar, magnesium and titanium in roadcars mostly came from racing and its need to be faster and lighter, and more recently safer. And what gave racing engineers the idea to use those materials in the first place? Aeronautics.

Supercars, hypercars and luxury SUVs are usually nothing more than fashion statements.

That's what racecars are for. The wider use of materials like aluminium, carbon fiber, kevlar, magnesium and titanium in roadcars mostly came from racing and its need to be faster and lighter, and more recently safer. And what gave racing engineers the idea to use those materials in the first place? Aeronautics.

Supercars, hypercars and luxury SUVs are usually nothing more than fashion statements.

Yes but not all come from motorsport and not all motorsport ideas come from aerospace, it isn't a simple ladder where technology passes down from one to the other, it is far more interchangeable. As I said this is from my experience, based on my profession. There is a lot of technology from supercars that benefits everyone in engineering.

Most of the time it is up scaling of technology. Most motorsport applications are so small that they aren't cost effective and are done in small numbers. Supercars on the other hand allow these sort of technologies to be gradually upscaled. You can't really go straight from motorsport to mass production, so super cars provide a good stop gap.

I guess what I'm getting at is yes, motorsport have a bigger impact where engineering developments are concerned but supercars have a greater impact on manufacturing improvements. SUVs don't typically provide this as its old technology, or at least the one in question doesn't, some of the tech in the new electric Volvo SUV's is brilliant.

Also you have to remember a good innovator in composites in recent years is Pagani and they don't compete in Motorsport really :)

Last edited:
The current Sport should receive this treatment in SVR flavour to make a production version of the Range Stormer.

The price they are asking is hilarious. Range Rovers are not in the same league as SUV's in the same price bracket as this. All your getting is some doors removed and some fancy leather which any aftermarket Landy tuner could do.

The price they are asking is hilarious. Range Rovers are not in the same league as SUV's in the same price bracket as this. All your getting is some doors removed and some fancy leather which any aftermarket Landy tuner could do.

You just know they'll still sell out almost instantly, though.

As someone who has developed both, I have to disagree based on my experiences :)

The number of manufacturing processes that are refined by supercar manufacturers, new materials developed, new engine injection methods created, better brakes, tyre compounds etc. For obvious reasons, I cannot go into details but supercars generally do have a good impact on normal cars and engines, think space frames and hybrids with the current crop of hypercars.

Generally, big SUV's use tech that should have been shelved years ago and largely run on diesel which is by far the worst thing on sale in modern cars (Not HGVs they still need them!). I appreciate supercars can also be labelled 'handbags' but then how many handbags lead to the development of new composite techniques which helps to reduce flight costs and aid space programs? I also appreciate this doesn’t apply to all, as I cannot make a case for how someone like Zenvo have had a better impact than this SUV!

Unfortunately, it's a bit different where I live (South of England) we are dominated by these things everywhere with usually one person behind the wheel. So this will probably be a daily driver for a lot of people :/

Stylistically I agree with you it is a fairly nice looking vehicle just a daft concept. Are they planning a hybrid? That would at least make up for some of the daftness!

We're sort of changing to a different subject, though; I'd agree that from an engineering perspective, sports/super cars serve a purpose (one that largely applies to motorsports as well, but hey). But on-the-road usefulness? For all intents and purposes, they're very similar. People buy any sort of car to one-up their neighbours or stay on-trend.

The argument that SUVs tend to have a sole occupant applies to sports cars as well. It's really an issue across the entire automotive landscape outside of public transit.

No hybrid planned for this "coupe", just the full-fat supercharged petrol V8. As it should be. :D

VXR
The current Sport should receive this treatment in SVR flavour to make a production version of the Range Stormer.

Obligatory:

Rangestormer_Sadface.png

We're sort of changing to a different subject, though; I'd agree that from an engineering perspective, sports/super cars serve a purpose (one that largely applies to motorsports as well, but hey). But on-the-road usefulness? For all intents and purposes, they're very similar. People buy any sort of car to one-up their neighbours or stay on-trend.

The argument that SUVs tend to have a sole occupant applies to sports cars as well. It's really an issue across the entire automotive landscape outside of public transit.

No hybrid planned for this "coupe", just the full-fat supercharged petrol V8. As it should be. :D

Obligatory:

View attachment 721477
I think you are right, I will admit some of my justification is biased as, if I had the money, I would own a super car (albeit carbon offset) and one reason owning it would be an engineering one, as I'd sit there admiring the precision. I would also enjoy the performance :D But I wouldn't have a 2 door SUV if you paid me to!

I love that GT5 meme :D

Back