Ranking Gran Turismo Games — Where Will GT7 End Up?

Brazil
Brazil
wagnerFAM98
Hi GTPlanet.

What I'm about to do is rank every mainline console GT game from worst to best in my opinion, then I'll try to see where I would place GT7 based on what we've seen so far about the game. It's an interesting way to see how your expectations are going compared to other titles of the series, so I really would like if you did the same as I'm going to do now. So here we go:

7th place: Gran Turismo 3

Yeah, seems a bit odd to put the best selling GT of all time on the last place, right? Well, there are two main reasons it's the last one on my ranking: the first one is that I haven't played this game that much back then, I went from GT2 straight to GT4. The second reason is that I simply didn't like PD's decision to brutally cut the content they had on GT2 only in favor of stunning graphics.

6th place: Gran Turismo Sport

As expected, GT Sport lays on the bottom of the ranking. The reasons are all pretty obvious, so I won't be repetitive. The content updates it got on the past few years and the livery editor are pretty much the things that hold me up to this game today. I think I couldn't even play GTS to this day if we didn't have any of those updates. They all saved GT Sport's life.

5th place: Gran Turismo

Since it's the game where it all started, GT1 had some weird and unique features, with the most notable one being the awkward physics. I do recognize it was a revolutionary mark on the sim racing genre, but PD themselves quickly fixed those bouncy physics right on for GT2.

4th place: Gran Turismo 6

GT5,5 as I like to call was still a decent GT, but with basically no improvements over GT5. The car selection is indeed really interesting, just like GT5's, but its biggest drawback was the much, much shorter career mode, which felt it was kind of rushed to complete that "2 GTs per generation" logic. Still, had a lot of fun playing this game and it surely deserves the 4th place.

3rd place: Gran Turismo 5

Hated by some, loved by many, here's GT5. In my opinion it was almost the perfect game, with some features that caused some serioius discussions like the infamous standard cars. Never really had that much of a problem with them, although I can understand it was really uncomfortable for a lot of people. But overall, it was a very positive experience for me.

2nd place: Gran Turismo 4

Ah, GT4. It's considered by many the best racing game ever created, and even though it's not the first one on my list, I fully understand these people. The graphic quality, the content, the gameplay, the massive career mode, everything was beyond perfection.

1st place:
Gran Turismo 2

Okay, I got to admit that, I spent some minutes thinking whether to put GT2 or GT4 on the first place. First of all, 600+ cars in 1999 was simply unbelievable, and as if it wasn't enough, the car selection by itself is so unique. Then we got that GT1 physics factor which got tremendously updated for GT2, as cars now don't keep bouncing all the time. I found really satisfying to see that my favorite game of my favorite franchise has "My Favorite Game" playing on the NA/EU intros.

So, where do I expect to put Gran Turismo 7 on my ranking?

First of all, of course I want to put GT7 on the highest rank possible, but solely based on my expectations for the game and for what we've seen last year, I feel I could easily put it on the third place, between GT5 and GT4. The higher the better, but for now, 3rd is what I'm going for.

When the game launches, I will come back here and see if it will change or not.

What about you? Where would you place GT7 on your GT ranking now?

7th place: Gran Turismo 3
your-opinions-are.jpg

Gt3 after gt6?!! GT3 is still my greatest next gen experience for a car game. The graphics were crazy at that time. The art direction of gt3 is also best. If gt7 is near as fun as gt3, well done Poly! I hope gt7 will be better than gt5, 6 and Sport, not sure Poly is able to recapture the magic of the old GTs.

1. GT4
2. GT3
3. GTS
4. GT5
5. GT6

Never played GT1 and 2 but I at least expect GT7 to be better than 5 and 6.

Best to worst.

1. GT4 My favourite
2. GT2 To be honest this and GT4 could go either way round.
3. GT3 better than GT2 if you have a wheel. Maybe.

Big gap.

4. GT5
5. GTS
6. GT1

Very big gap

7. GT6. No actual racing in a racing game. Replaced by chase the rabbit from miles behind. It's not hard for GT7 to be better than this but PD's output since the PS2 doesn't fill me with confidence.

1. GT4
  2. GT3
  3. GTS
  4. GT2
  5. GT1
  6. GT5
  7. GT6

If they don’t drop the ball (which you can’t even be sure of because…it’s PD) GT7 will probably slot into my top 3. It has potential to be top 2 (or even on top), but after all the conflicting news about it being shackled to the PS4 I’m honestly not sure now. I doubt we’ll be getting a blunder along the lines of GT5/6, though.

Last edited:
GT5 had the slowest economy in the series backed up by cars locked behind a level cap including cars only posted to a four-billion day long used car list that only gave you six races to get a car, making some functionally impossible to purchase so that some players literally could not access parts of the game at all. Also single-use paint chips. It was also the first game that became impossible to complete, when the servers closed down to make one of the PSN trophies impossible (GT6 also did this, at a later date).

It also had Standard cars, and the killer visual feature was 3D which I think I'm right in saying was used by approximately no people in the whole history of ever, except 32 members of the press at GamesCom 2010.

GT5 doesn't belong above any other GT game; I appreciate some people disliked GT6 more, but it was basically GT5 with a better economy, without the awful levelling system, and with more Premium cars to offset the Standard ones, and it did eventually have most of the things it said it would have on the box.

GT5 had the slowest economy in the series backed up by cars locked behind a level cap including cars only posted to a four-billion day long used car list that only gave you six races to get a car, making some functionally impossible to purchase so that some players literally could not access parts of the game at all. Also single-use paint chips. It was also the first game that became impossible to complete, when the servers closed down to make one of the PSN trophies impossible (GT6 also did this, at a later date).

It also had Standard cars, and the killer visual feature was 3D which I think I'm right in saying was used by approximately no people in the whole history of ever, except 32 members of the press at GamesCom 2010.

GT5 doesn't belong above any other GT game; I appreciate some people disliked GT6 more, but it was basically GT5 with a better economy, without the awful levelling system, and with more Premium cars to offset the Standard ones, and it did eventually have most of the things it said it would have on the box.

No traditional offline racing in GT6 though. Pretty big flaw for a racing game. GT5 did, at launch.

No traditional offline racing in GT6 though. Pretty big flaw for a racing game. GT5 did, at launch.
I don't recall being totally whelmed by either. But still, crap races are better than races you literally cannot enter outside of a one in a billion fluke*.

*(OCD was added to address this, of course)

I don't recall being totally whelmed by either. But still, crap races are better than races you literally cannot enter outside of a one in a billion fluke*.

*(OCD was added to address this, of course)

Well no, neither were great but at least with GT5 you could nerf your car and have some semblance of a race against slow AI. In GT6 you could nerf as well, but you're still just playing catch up to moving roadblocks. It just takes longer or you run out of laps.

GT5 & GT6 were both a blur to me.

GT1(1 and 2 are interchangeble for me). GT1's intro is still tops for me. GT2 had that car list and some amazing tracks/courses. SN95 Mustangs, really cool racing modifications, etc. Both games had it all for me.
GT2
GT4
GT3
GTS

GT4 slightly ahead of GT3, only because of the FPV cars and the Tuner Grand Prix event. Plus, I had a wheel for GT4. GT3 had the graphics, and I love(d) the TOM'S Chaser X540.

1. GT2 (best GT of all time)
2. GT5 (the decline - dragged down by standard cars, bad audio and design decisions like grinding but i love GT5's good parts even more than GT4)
3. GT4 (last proper quality + quantity GT game)
4. GT3 (it's good, but even back then the lack of content compared to GT2 made it less enjoyable for me)
5. GT1 (only played the demo as a kid so I can't properly rate it)
6. GT6 (Just a bad GT game, a downgrade in many aspects over the already compromised GT5. Low point of the series)

Life got in the way so I skipped the ps4 generation and GTS, I'll be back for PS5 and GT7.

1. GT6
2. GT5
3. GT4
4. GTS
5. GT3
6. GT2
7. GT1
I believe GT7 is going to be the best GT ever:lol:

Last edited:
  1. GT Sport
  2. Gran Turismo 4
  3. Gran Turismo 2
  4. Gran Turismo 3
  5. Gran Turismo 6
  6. Gran Turismo
Didn’t play 5 but it would be below 6.

If Gran Turismo 7 retains all of the things I liked about GT Sport, it’ll go #1.

1st: Gran Turismo 3
2nd: Gran Turismo 5
3rd: Gran Turismo Sport
4th: Gran Turismo 4
5th: Gran Turismo 6
It may be an unpopular opinion, but GT3 is the best in me. Art direction, UI design, soundtrack, car and track selection, AI, all of which were the best and most soulful of the series.
GT5 isn't perfect, but I think it's underrated. I spent a lot of time racing online.
My impression of GT4 is not good. A messy main menu, many similar cars, some useless tracks, static and boring graphics, terrible understeer physics, on-the-rail running AI, and an overall soulless racing game I felt like.
The GT7 has a GT4 feel, so it will probably rank closer to the GT4.
I haven't played GT1 and GT2, so I'll omit them.
Sorry for the bad English.

For me it's hard to put them all in the same list mostely because when online/multiplayer became a thing, I started judging GT games differently.

So, overall, from a game design perspective, I'd rate them:

GT3
GT4
GT2
GT1
GTS
GT6
GT5

From my personal experience and hours put in each game, GTSport GT5 and GT6 would be at the top. But that doesn't reflect the game quality, just the quality of the online races with my friends and other GT players in general, something that it's not exclusive to GranTurismo.

Probably the online side of things was thr saving grace of GT5 and GT6. GTSport was basically made for online but at least that was a design choice from the start which I respect.

If GT7 gives us offline gameplay as fun as the PS2 era games, plus the online of GTSport + some GT6 multiplyer features, I'll be more than happy. I just hope the recent news of a possible cross gen launch to be a giant, stupid misunderstanding.

Last edited:
From top to bottom: 3, 4, 6 (yes, really), Sport, 2, 5, 1. Too early to tell where 7 will be but I would hope it’s at least above Sport.

4. GT3 (it's good, but even back then the lack of content compared to GT2 made it less enjoyable for me)

You sir... you are brave. I'll make your words my own.

I still enjoy GT3, the game plays and feels really good. Those GT2-GT3 exclusive tracks like Smokey Mountain, Tahiti Circuit and Rome Circuit are all awesome tracks, I wish at least one of these would come back to GT7. But the fact GT3 is simply a (beautifully) remastered GT2 with 5 times less content just doesn't work for me.

I would rather have a less stunning GT3 graphic-wise with at least 400 cars over this visually breathtaking game with no more than 200 cars.

Can't rate 4 since it's the only GT game I haven't played. I expect to put GT7 above GTS, unless a miracle happens and it is better than GT3, but to do that they really need to prioritize things and get the AI actually, y'know, racing.

1) GT3 - This to me was the strongest title in the series. It was focused. It knew what it wanted to do and achieve. It wasn't trying to be something it wasn't and it didn't need a lot of extra fluff to make a great game.

2) GTS - Second strongest. Also a focused title, albeit a bit too much with online racing and the single player modes were an afterthought. But the detail of the cars and tracks, the approachable physics model as well as the livery editor save this title from being the worst.

3) GT2 - Was basically a beefed up GT1, had a lot of content and some of the best cars and tracks in the series. But as much as I loved this game as a child I cannot give it higher than 3rd.

4) GT5 - This was the title that rekindled my interest in the series after having sold my PS2. It wasn't the best racer around and going into it I expected GT3 but with PS3-era graphics. I didn't really expect there to be a standard/premium car divide and that threw me off for several years and I became critical of them. It isn't so much having the standard cars in the game that was bad to me it was the divide, I would've rather PD only had premium cars OR standard cars, not both.

5) GT6 - Basically a beefed up GT5 but without any of the class and gameplay. Somehow this title missed the mark on what made GT great to begin with, even going as far as to have chase the rabbit become the norm for its SP campaign. The campaign was too short and barely even utilized half of the content list leaving cars and track content wasted.

6) GT - I can only rate this one as 6th place. It may have started the GT series but it severely lacked content only having what was 5 or 6 tracks and 100 cars? Almost all of which were Japanese. Not saying I hate Japanese cars but rather there needed to be a balance and this game just doesn't have it.

Last edited:
1 - GT Sport

The best graphics of the series.
The best engine sounds of the series.
Livery Editor (I think this alone would give victory for this game)
And the revolutionary photo mode, where we put our virtual car in a real landscape.

(And they even say it has the best online system, but since I'm not a hardcore user of this system, I'm not able to evaluate)
(And I don't know if the GT Sport has the best physics)

2 - GT 4

3 - GT 6

4 - GT 5

5 - GT 2 (I played very little at my friend's house, but as I was playing GT4 at the time, it didn't arouse my enthusiasm)

I haven't played GT1 and GT3 yet.

And if the GT7 is a combination of the GT Sport and the GT4, it will probably be my number one in the whole series. ;)

Last edited:
You sir... you are brave. I'll make your words my own.

I would rather have a less stunning GT3 graphic-wise with at least 400 cars over this visually breathtaking game with no more than 200 cars.

Agreed. 9 year old me was obsessed with GT2. I had about 20 favorite cars, none of which appeared in GT3. I distinctly remember that feeling of disappointment :lol: So when GT4 released I felt it was better than 3 in every way. It was only a bit later when i got online that I learned how beloved GT3 is.

6) GT - I can only rate this one as 6th place. It may have started the GT series but it severely lacked content only having what was 5 or 6 tracks and 100 cars? Almost all of which were Japanese. Not saying I hate Japanese cars but rather there needed to be a balance and this game just doesn't have it.

11 tracks. 180 cars. But by modern standards that would be almost doubled as race mods were not counted separately.

GT3, your favourite game, has 19 tracks and 180 cars with no race mods.

I don't believe that the lack of content is the problem. You may remember it that way, but that doesn't make it true.

Back