Rarity/Value of Non-Greatest Hits printings of GT4

• Thread starter Qvale
  • 8 comments
United States
United States
I got Gran Turismo 4 when it came out, so it isn't a Greatest Hits print or any of that. I've heard that Non-Greatest Hits versions are particularly uncommon and/or worth some money. Is that true?

As far as I'm aware, standard versions and platinum versions are common, and actually the greatest hits version is the one to look out for.
Hm. I seem to see the greatest hits versions in game shops a lot more often than black labels.

Hmm, not sure then, it might be different over in the U.S in shops, but I see quite a lot on ebay of standard or platinums...Certainly in shops over here greatest hits versions are rare

Excerpt from Wikipedia: Greatest Hits are video games for the North American Sony PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation Portable consoles that have been officially re-released at a lower price by Sony. While the term "Greatest Hits" only applies to selections in America, equivalent programs exist in PAL territories (as "Essentials"), Japan and Asia (as "The Best") and Korea (as "BigHit Series"). Greatest Hits titles are colloquially referred to as "red label" (or "green label" for PlayStation titles) referring to the colored band that is added to the packaging to differentiate it from regular releases (which are similarly referred to as "black label"). A game can earn this distinction if it meets certain sales criteria within two years after its release. The original versions of the game (often referred to as "black label") are often sought after as collectables or the other label is white, which is named as Collector's Edition, is similar to the green version, but it usually contains mainly the released games from one series.

If this is true, GT4's red label/re-release was around early 2007. As of 2007, Gran Turismo 4 has sold around 8.79 million copies. Today, there exists 11.73 million units.
_____

2.94 million copies of GT4 have been sold since 2007. This means about 13.3% of all copies are Platinums/Greatest Hits/The Best/BigHits. To top it all off, black prints of Gran Turismo 4 are not rare at all. Greatest Hits are more valuable than black prints. Some black prints, even most can be considered collectibles. But this is not the case with Gran Turismo 4. I do not know if GT4 is out of print yet, but red labels will likely never outsell blacks.

i also bought GT4 a bit after it's release, 2005/2006 maybe, and it has a white case. I also have the platinum version, both Pal, and from what i heard from a friend whith works at a game shop the release version with the white case has some value

I
Excerpt from Wikipedia: Greatest Hits are video games for the North American Sony PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation Portable consoles that have been officially re-released at a lower price by Sony. While the term "Greatest Hits" only applies to selections in America, equivalent programs exist in PAL territories (as "Essentials"), Japan and Asia (as "The Best") and Korea (as "BigHit Series"). Greatest Hits titles are colloquially referred to as "red label" (or "green label" for PlayStation titles) referring to the colored band that is added to the packaging to differentiate it from regular releases (which are similarly referred to as "black label"). A game can earn this distinction if it meets certain sales criteria within two years after its release. The original versions of the game (often referred to as "black label") are often sought after as collectables or the other label is white, which is named as Collector's Edition, is similar to the green version, but it usually contains mainly the released games from one series.

If this is true, GT4's red label/re-release was around early 2007. As of 2007, Gran Turismo 4 has sold around 8.79 million copies. Today, there exists 11.73 million units.
_____

2.94 million copies of GT4 have been sold since 2007. This means about 13.3% of all copies are Platinums/Greatest Hits/The Best/BigHits. To top it all off, black prints of Gran Turismo 4 are not rare at all. Greatest Hits are more valuable than black prints. Some black prints, even most can be considered collectibles. But this is not the case with Gran Turismo 4. I do not know if GT4 is out of print yet, but red labels will likely never outsell blacks.
This. For the record, my copy of GT4 is in a black label case. I think I got my copy in maybe late 2006/early 2007, along with my PS2. I don't remember the exact date I got either one. At this point, the Greatest Hits release probably wouldn't have hit retail yet. In case anyone cares.

Also, I bought a used copy of GT3 around the time GT5 was released. I believe my GT3 copy is a Greatest Hits release.

Back